Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
geser98

Real "Match Making"

12 comments in this topic

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

I never had any major issues with match making in this game, but since everyone and their dog are b*tching about it, I decided to have a look at what kind of MM was represented in RL battles. I took only Pacific theatre, because both IJN and USN are well represented in the game. Still, several classes/subclasses are missing in the game and for those I've assigned them a Tier based on historical progression, for example, Northampton-class of Heavy cruisers succeeded Pensacola class, therefore it should be around Tier VIII.

Below are the orders or battle for one naval battle (Guadalcanal) and one campaign that included multiple battles (Coral Sea campaign), but I couldn't be bothered to split them in separate engagements.

I can only imagine how much screaming we'd see if, like it happened IRL, Tenryu had to face off against a New Orleans :popcorn:

P.S. St. Louis class that Helena belonged to and St. Louis-class (1905) represented in the game are totally different beasts.

coral_sea_zpsi5hog5xo.jpg

guadalcanal_zpsxdsozkak.jpg

Edited by geser98
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

And? The point of Random battles is not to recreate historical battles or the circumstances similar to those under which they were fought. It is to create a fair competitive environment where skill and luck are the _only_ major factors that decide who wins and how - unlike in the actual WWII where a myriad of other factors including strategic decisions and industrial capacity had more of an influence on the outcome than any matters of tactics could.

This game is not a simulator. Hence the requirements to the MM are different than a simulator might have.

[OWSS]
Beta Testers
794 posts
6,703 battles

I think the main issue with MM is the statistical chance of getting a +2 match in tiers 5 and 6....it seems a bit out of balance.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

And? The point of Random battles is not to recreate historical battles or the circumstances similar to those under which they were fought. It is to create a fair competitive environment where skill and luck are the _only_ major factors that decide who wins and how - unlike in the actual WWII where a myriad of other factors including strategic decisions and industrial capacity had more of an influence on the outcome than any matters of tactics could.

This game is not a simulator. Hence the requirements to the MM are different than a simulator might have.

I didn't mean it to judge the current MM in any way. I have no problem with it. Just thought it was interesting to see how very different "tiers" of ships faced each other in real action.

That's just for fun and out of boredom, nothing else.

Edited by geser98

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
21,035 battles

Thank you for putting the point of the images into words for those not blessed with your phenomenal, nay, godlike graphical interpretation skills...

Edited by TenguBlade

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Thank you for putting the point of the images into words for those not blessed with your phenomenal, nay, godlike graphical interpretation skills...

If OP hadn't taken a stab at all the "beaching" [pardon my spelling] and "screaming", I would have taken the post for what it otherwise is: a goofy but curious historical parallel to WoWs MM. I can read you know, I just wanted to set it straight that when people complain about MM in this game it can't be dismissed just because history wasn't fair.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

If OP hadn't taken a stab at all the "beaching" [pardon my spelling] and "screaming", I would have taken the post for what it otherwise is: a goofy but curious historical parallel to WoWs MM. I can read you know, I just wanted to set it straight that when people complain about MM in this game it can't be dismissed just because history wasn't fair.

I guess you make a fair point. But, I was not really complaining that people are "unhappy" with MM, just simply stating the fact. Maybe I did it not in the best way possible, but probably better than just making a thread titled "Please stop 'beaching' about MM" :teethhappy:
Edited by geser98

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

I guess you make a fair point. But, I was not really complaining that people are "unhappy" with MM, just simply stating the fact. Maybe I did it not in the best way possible, but probably better than just making a thread titled "Please stop 'beaching' about MM" :teethhappy:

Fair enough :honoring:

[SOUP]
[SOUP]
Members
1,674 posts
7,376 battles

Shôhô was sister to Zuihô, thus, Tier V.

Kako was sister to Furutaka, and thus, Tier V. Conversely, Kinugasa was sister to Aoba. If we get technical, the Aobas were half-sisters to the Furutakas.

Apologies for the nitpicking :honoring:

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

Shôhô was sister to Zuihô, thus, Tier V.

Kako was sister to Furutaka, and thus, Tier V. Conversely, Kinugasa was sister to Aoba. If we get technical, the Aobas were half-sisters to the Furutakas.

Apologies for the nitpicking :honoring:

You are correct. I did mix up Furutakas/Aobas. They are so alike :teethhappy: 

Thanks for corrections. I'll update and change screenshots.

Beta Testers
303 posts
8,267 battles

I think the main issue with MM is the statistical chance of getting a +2 match in tiers 5 and 6....it seems a bit out of balance.

Well, looks like IJN got even worse MM than that participating in pre-alpha ... But it's understandable in a way as that was well before the (numerous) MM changes :trollface:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this