You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MexicanPanda

Why is the Atlanta played so much?

81 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,529 posts
1,148 battles

So I thought I'd do some research again on the Atlanta to see if I could talk myself into buying one, and I noticed something interesting. I didn't expect it to be the second most played tier 7 cruiser in the game, and by a fair margin too. Do that many people like the Atlanta? Or is there some other reason that the ship is played so much?

[B3ERS]
Beta Testers
813 posts
9,862 battles

um well,  it was one of the first premiums ever if I remember correctly. Also, its a machine gun. It is unique. Very unique

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,187 posts
23,479 battles

So I thought I'd do some research again on the Atlanta to see if I could talk myself into buying one, and I noticed something interesting. I didn't expect it to be the second most played tier 7 cruiser in the game, and by a fair margin too. Do that many people like the Atlanta? Or is there some other reason that the ship is played so much?

Because it is super fun, if you can play a cruiser pretty well, get one. The "pew pew pew" guns are hilarious. The way they work is they fire shells that go orbital, come back thru the Earth's atmosphere where they get very hot, then land on the decks of enemy ships causing fires. Once you get the hang of the shooting, you are a great DD hunter and/or AA platform. They are really fun to play if you don't mind getting deleted now and then. They are fragile.
  • Cool 1

[CONDI]
Members
158 posts
5,042 battles

I dunno why I bought mine tbh. One of the first ships I got and my 2nd most played ship. I rarely play it now and would sell it but 7 mil doesn't seem that worth it. It just collects dust in my port at this point. I keep saying It's out preformed by tier 5 cruisers and it needs buffs, but then people just say "you're not playing it right." So I guess It's just not my play style.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,697 battles

It prints credits like mad.

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
982 posts
9,047 battles

It was one of the first premiums I've ever bought, and I enjoy the challenge of playing it well. It's extremely situational, but if you can get yourself into favorable spots, you can turn the tables of a match. It is a hilariously fun ship to use, with moments of soul-crushing frustration sprinkled in. 

Some Atlanta die-hards will argue that it isn't a gimmicky ship, and they're wrong. It is. That's what makes it so fun. Just get one, catch a destroyer at 4km, find smoke and burn down a BB, or a soft-skinned cruiser at short range with AP, and you'll understand just how much fun it can be. 

It's my second most played ship (227 games) and one of my best (1543 WTR as of today) and I don't regret it at all. 10/10 would buy again. 

Edited by Falls_USMC

Beta Testers
1,529 posts
1,148 battles

um well,  it was one of the first premiums ever if I remember correctly. Also, its a machine gun. It is unique. Very unique

Even if it was one of the first, it has almost 300k more battles played than the Myoko, which has also been around since the beginning of the game.

XUbkeFR.gif

I should have seen this gif coming. XD

• Cool 1

[--K--]
Members
5,386 posts
17,838 battles

The Atlanta is one of those ships I would really like in my port but financially is a bit more than I can justify buying at the moment. I have a lot of fun playing Light Cruisers and gun boat destroyers. At this point I'll either win the gold needed to buy in game, I'll get one from a Super Container or I'll gets its sister from Ranked. 

Members
5,408 posts
10,431 battles

An Atlanta and a destroyer can level BBs with ease (with a good Atlanta captain).  Its guns are roman candles of fire.  When I come up against them I try and delete them first, if I can.

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,633 battles

« Why is the Atlanta played so much? »

Insane, Intense and quick adrenaline jolt of playing the union of a DD and a Cruiser...  The pure pleasure of firing those 7x2 guns over and over at poor DDs and some BBs.

Then it ends... very quickly. It's far from being my best ship.  But it's one that is very fun to play (Kinda like St.Louis at T3).

Edited by Francois424

Beta Testers
1,529 posts
1,148 battles

« Why is the Atlanta played so much? »

Insane, Intense and quick adrenaline jolt of playing the union of a DD and a Cruiser...  The pure pleasure of firing those 7x2 guns over and over at poor DDs and some BBs.

Then it ends... very quickly. It's far from being my best ship.  But it's one that is very fun to play (Kinda like St.Louis at T3).

A union of DD and cruiser... does it have enough of the positives of either? Or does it mainly have most of the negatives?

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,633 battles

A union of DD and cruiser... does it have enough of the positives of either? Or does it mainly have most of the negatives?

Plus:

- Good Concealment

- Good Speed

- Good Agility (especially with rudder shift mod)

- Radar + Unlimited Defensive Fires

- High RoF with very good HE damage vs DD

- Can really hurt at close range, like an AP chainsaw, if you fire AP

Bad:

- It has a citadel

- Low HPs

- Poor main gun range (okay-ish with AFT, if you can aim)

- No Smoke / speed boost

- Poor torpedo range

I still think it's pretty good.

Edited by Francois424

Members
5,417 posts
3,213 battles

It's one of the oldest premium. And I've heard from a lot of players that they actually really like it. It can certainly annihilate any DD it comes across and rain never ending shells on anyone within range.  Plus it can do trolly things like rain shells over high mountains, due to it's stupidly high shell arc at long range.  

Also Atlanta and Cleveland  were non-stop spammed during the first round of Arpeggio ops, due to the 300 plane kill requirement.

Edited by goldeagle1123

Members
2,709 posts
17,046 battles

I've also chainsawed quite a few ships with AP. It's hilarious to watch.

Indeed it is. 

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,775 posts
2,137 battles

why play alanta over sims, sims is better in everyway besides durability

Sims doesn't have a citadel... so perhaps it is more durable?