You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
La_Bataille

How to citadel cruisers?

18 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
13 posts
1,028 battles

This is going to sound like a ridiculous question, especially considering the general mood of the NA community, but here it goes.

How the hell do you citadel a cruiser while sailing a battleship?

Now I'm a battleship main with some cruiser play and am trying to branch out in destroyers, but I hear all this talk about deleting cruisers and how much they get stomped by battleships and in a way it perplexes me. Cruisers are definitely in a bad spot but I for one seem to be helpless against them. Sure, shooting at a broadside Atago feels like cheating, and every now and then I'll get a triple citadel against a RN CL and have a giggle, but against USN cruisers (particularly the Cleveland but even the infamous Pensacola) it is no exaggeration that 80% of my hits are overpenetrations.  Is this normal? Do I just have too high expectations? I try to aim at close to the waterline as possible but I consider myself lucky to just get a normal penetrating hit. I've heard stories of aiming at the water itself to penetrate the underwater armor (especially against Clevelands) but I don't think I have ever seen that actually work for me. Is it just that my tier (max 7) has less of a citadel problem than the highest tiers?  Feel free to share your ridiculous citadel stories and how you got them!

(On a side note, does anyone have a link to a good explanation on bow overmatch and how it works? I'm familiar with overmatch from WoT but am unsure on how to take advantage of it here in WoWS)

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts

Cheatland has notoriously small, oddly positioned, and just generally hard to hit citadels.

...not sure about the pepsi though, I can usually citadel those without too much difficulty. But for the Cleveland in particular, take a look at the armor viewer, you'll see exactly where to shoot and in the case for the forward citadel, it kind of shunts away from the smokestack a bit. But even then, at long range, it's just kind of a diceroll if you'll get them or not (and the odds are in Cleveland's favor).

And...though I know there are all AP all the time die hards... but do remember that you've got 2 ammo types. It might not wreck like a multicitadel but BB HE salvos, if well placed, can still easily do 10 or maybe even 20k damage...

Members
5,432 posts
10,504 battles

German cruisers can be citadeled pretty easily at the rear-end of the ship.  Pensacola's are a floating citadel - nothing special to hit them.

Members
6,169 posts
7,861 battles

If you're getting over-pens, you're aiming too high. Aim at the waterline(literally at it, not close to it) so your shells strike the water(at least a few of them) before hitting the hull, giving you a better chance at getting into the magazines or through the actual citadel belt armor that's mostly underwater for most cruisers.

Also mind your range, up close, you need to change you lead so shells still strike center of mass, instead of going into the bow/stern casemate and over-penning. And at longer ranges, you can bring your aim up from the waterline a bit because the shells will be coming in at a steep angle, so it's better to attempt deck armor penetrations where the shell will travel right through the deck then the citadel roof.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
336 posts

Perspective of the guns is stupid. It looks like you hit exactly at the waterline but in reality the shots fall short. So you want to aim a smidge above the waterline (seriously, just a really tiny bit or you'll overshoot the sweet spot). Unless you're like <7km then it's okay to aim right at the waterline.

They also had a bug awhile back where shots that touched the water were instantly disappearing making citadels way harder to hit than they should have been. Now supposedly they fixed this bug but after watching my owns replays, I could swear the bug resurfaces every so often.

Edited by Spongeman131

[SALVO]
Members
5,367 posts
4,575 battles

Only thing you can do is aim for center mass (usually below the stacks) and pray for RNG.

I too find the US cruiser above the Omaha tricky to citadel, unless fully broadside.

[KNTAI]
Members
3,133 posts
8,754 battles

Practice practice practice. Generally, try to give ample lead. Prediction is key too. And aim near the waterline, near the center of the ship. You'll get there eventually.

Members
104 posts
2,032 battles

Aim at the waterline(literally at it, not close to it) so your shells strike the water(at least a few of them) before hitting the hull, giving you a better chance at getting into the magazines or through the actual citadel belt armor that's mostly underwater for most cruisers.

How much does water friction work against shells in the game? Do they flat out remove them at X depth, or just start to massively hurt shell velocity?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,705 battles

Go look at some ships in the armour viewer, see where their citadels are.

Yeah gotta agree with this one. But when all else fails, aim center mass at the waterline. That generally is a decent spot to hit a CA/CL citadel.

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

Yeah gotta agree with this one. But when all else fails, aim center mass at the waterline. That generally is a decent spot to hit a CA/CL citadel.

This.  It's a bit of an understatement though.  EVERY ship in game has citadel under the smokestack, and it's almost the highest raised portion of the citadel as well.

What truly varies is the height of the citadel under the guns.  For example Cleveland has an insanely low citadel under the turrets, so you'll need to hit the main battery barrettes to get citadels on them that way.  Those however require hits directly under the turrets, on a rather narrow set of targets.

On the other hand IJN CAs such as Myoko have very high citadel lines in the center, and citadels from water level down under the turrets.

Pensacola is a special case.  Her citadel sits high in the center, dips low then rises above the water level again in the front...  With 56mm of armor or so.  The citadel under the rear turret is actually insanely small though.  Basically shoot her water level anywhere in the front and you'll multicit!  Shoot her in the rear and you might be looking at overpens. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,705 battles

This.  It's a bit of an understatement though.  EVERY ship in game has citadel under the smokestack, and it's almost the highest raised portion of the citadel as well.

What truly varies is the height of the citadel under the guns.  For example Cleveland has an insanely low citadel under the turrets, so you'll need to hit the main battery barrettes to get citadels on them that way.  Those however require hits directly under the turrets, on a rather narrow set of targets.

On the other hand IJN CAs such as Myoko have very high citadel lines in the center, and citadels from water level down under the turrets.

Pensacola is a special case.  Her citadel sits high in the center, dips low then rises above the water level again in the front...  With 56mm of armor or so.  The citadel under the rear turret is actually insanely small though.  Basically shoot her water level anywhere in the front and you'll multicit!  Shoot her in the rear and you might be looking at overpens. 

Actually easiest way to hit a cleveland, aim under the back Island right behind the smoke stacks at the waterline. It's where her boilers are.

Beta Testers
1,180 posts
7,853 battles

Generally the citadels of most cruisers are near the waterline in the center of the ship.

Except for ships like the Cleveland. You have to know where the citadels are on any ship that you are fighting against. Clevelands are forward and back, not in the center like others.