You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Spud_butt

POSSIBLE HACK (a random vent)

21 comments in this topic

[META_]
Members
2,255 posts
7,485 battles

greetings fellow (and fellowette) WoWs skippers.

it is important for you to know that I am not a conspiracy theorist, political in nature, well educated in a practical sense, knowledgeable about current affairs, nor competent mentally. however, once you read thru the facts I present, you will know we are the victims of a horrible, insipid, conspiracy, and devious, dastardly, despicable actions.

logged into my account Christmas eve, and started to pla... uh, battle away. while my results were pretty much the same mediocre, lousy, pathetic, hopeless, and infuriating as always, there seemed to be a lot more venting and clearly expressed anger in battle chat than normal. it was amusing, entertaining, and of course, lousy teams and assassin level RNG were the focal points. yawn, same ol same ol.

by the 27th it was patently obvious that this was not the typical complaints from those that grew up feeling entitled, this was flat out raging vs legitimate slights to our very beings!! that it should happen during the holidays was stunning! but it was apparent that there is FAR MORE more happening than the typical MM and RNG effrontery, this was complex and systemic. the package deals offered, the crate contents, the paucity of supercontainers, the new, impossible missions, winning only one elite ship, not winning more than 1 million credits, failing to win 20k free exp, 1k flags of your choice, free camo... i could go on, but i don't have to do i? you get it.

this is not a case of the game not meeting inflated expectations (and i am guilty of this), this is a direct result of a major, planned, extensive hack. possible perpetrators are easy to list, but not so easy to identify. well, easy to identify, but not so easy to catch. there are literally dozens of online gaming companies that would benefit. there are dozens of countries that are doubtlessly furious that the parent company (WG will not be named!!) is making more than their GNP. but most likely, there is one country that is feeling the burn after the general election, and the possibility that hacking was involved. uh huh!! yup, you got it.

now, i should mention that i am not politically astute, nor in any other way, but you don't have to be a genius to figure this out. politics in games (GASP) you might be questioning? well, duh, take a look at the Olympics, and other online games. soooo an unnamed govt, in discomfort and embarrassment, decides to retaliate. of course, they can't do it directly. they have to pick on (literally) a company based in Cyprus, or Belarus, or one of the other Scandinavian republics (one of those 'other' places, it's not 'here'), in order to establish, and maintain, plausible deniability... because if enough people think "why would they hack them?" then they won't ever be suspected.

i'm no genius, but i figured it out. and now i have placed all the facts out for you, it's plain as day, yes! no thanks are needed, but you're welcome. i should note that tin foil hats, and covers on your credit cards don't work. just for your edification. i feel compelled to say, based on the evidence, this: it's not you, it's not the way you play the game, it's the hacks. this is a double edged sword. you play awful, like me, and there is a sense of relief. whew, it's not me!! but if you think your 1500+ WTR rating and 75% win rate is because you're awesome, sorry it's not you. it's the hack. so we should all be enraged. grrrr.

what can you do about it?? be bigger than the hackers, take the high road. stay the course (sailing pun). if you enter a game (er, battle) in which people are ranting and raging about MM, RNG, their crappy ships, losing 6x in a row, or mentioning that their spanking new supership is lousy, nod to yourself in a superior manner, smile, and press on knowing you are armed with a tool more powerful than big, well aimed guns.

there is one other thing we can do. band together, and let your type be heard!! our happiness, which is, of course, dependent on results in this game, more important than international politics! if all of us raise our voices in unison, it will be a drop in a small bucket that can easily be ignored!! temporary insignificant discomfort to tyrants!!

(ed, note: this is off topic. after writing this, i submitted it to my therapist, counselor, director of my 13 step program, psychologist, psychiatrist, and probation officer. they were concerned as it seems to be a bit of set-back for me, but all agreed on three things: i could be so much worse, the meds need to be adjusted, and it would NOT be a good thing to post this. which i agree with wholeheartedly, as i am scared to death of being hacked)

• Cool 2

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

What you're describing is something that happens every year in every MMO over holiday breaks.  The kids are out and don't have to go to bed early because mom and dad are drunk and there's no school tomorrow.

[NGA-A]
Members
1,284 posts
7,395 battles

LOL, now that is a creative and extremely hilarious post.  +1 just for the comic relief!!!  The most amusing part of all of this is those people who actually think the OP is being serious, obviously didn't read the last bit in his post.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

What you're describing is something that happens every year in every MMO over holiday breaks.  The kids are out and don't have to go to bed early because mom and dad are drunk and there's no school tomorrow.

This can also be applied to Friday and Saturday nights lol

Remember folks, keep your kids tied up in the basement in school! Its good for them, I swear. :hiding:

• Cool 1

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

LOL! Absolutely hilarious! Number of folks apparently getting confused by just one page of text is even more hilarious though.

• Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
21,105 battles

I love how everyone thinks this is a rant and not satire just because OP isn't sporting a high post count.

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Modder
8,814 posts

it is important for you to know that I am not a conspiracy theorist, political in nature, well educated in a practical sense, knowledgeable about current affairs, nor competent mentally.

If you have to state this at the beginning, these points immediately come into question.

[META_]
Members
2,255 posts
7,485 battles

I feel stupider having read this.

hi luna. I had many, many reactions on reading your short, simple, to the point post, but two powerful ones that are lingering, and I feel need to be shared and addressed.

1) my very first immediate reaction was horror, overwhelming sorrow, sadness, embarrassment, and shame. it was not my intent, nor would it ever be my intent, to make anybody feel, or actually be, stupider as a result of anything I thought, did, said, or wrote. if you could please take a couple hours, and let me know specifically what passages or statements made you feel that way, I would be quite beholden.

2) MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! far more importantly than #1, anytime I can dumb someone down to my level, baffle and confuse them to the point of my normal state of complete bewilderment, then I have helped to create a situation where I have equals... someone that understands me, and where i'm coming from. I am human, and feel the need to belong.

a heartfelt thank you to all that have responded. if you need examples, proof, evidence, or would like to see graphics, charts, or further explanations to support my insane theories, please let me know. if there are enough requests, I will include blueprints for my lead hats (actually reduce radiation damage from the satellites, not like the cheap tinfoil hats) and high speed mouse chips, so you can aim your IJN DD guns faster.

(ed. note: for those of you read the OP, detected humor and enjoyed it, you should see the responses the moderators in Support are sending my way in response to similar concerns and questions... while they are often times hysterically funny, I will not be including any, as they are a captive audience, and have to read and reply. i'm pretty sure i'm one of their favorite players, and want to keep it that way!)

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,187 battles

fellowette

thats not a thing.

I know this now because I Googled it.

[META_]
Members
2,255 posts
7,485 battles

hi slak.

I used my lack of deductive reasoning: bachelor, bachelorette. George Georgette, usher, usherette, and of course, silhou, and silhouette... all one has to do is extrapolate by this fellow, fellowette.

(ed, note: after discussing this with my pre-school latin instructor, he commented I was in error again, as usual, and suggested this may be a case where a prefix is in order. the obvious example is man, woman, so it therefore logically stands that the feminine version would be wofellow. which sort of has a ring to it if you've been married.)