You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AprilMapleLeaf

Is it Kutuzov OP or the player is OP?

34 comments in this topic

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

Kutuzov is a very strong ship in random battles.  It has very forgiving gun arcs, a long range, and a high chance of setting fires.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,165 posts
5,833 battles

I think it's the player more than the ship, though I find that the MK is a really fun / good ship to use.  I especially love her guns when you're in close-range against a cruiser...and you're armed with AP shells.  Citadels for days :D.

[KIA-C]
Members
2,306 posts
14,701 battles

Two battles does not a sample size make.  But yes, Kutusov is a solid ship.  I recently aquired one, but was cursed by terrible teams for 8 or the 10 games I've played, but have done rather well, all the same.  I just wish it had a few km better detection, like the Edinburgh (which I would say is better in a few ways and do excellent in).

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,894 battles

Right place right time you can do really good in this ship but .. its got a huge citadel and the ship leans a lot on the fragile side the guns do shoot just over 19 k but getting good hits at that range is unlikely and overall the guns are mwaaa, awsome AA good torps and smoke good rudder shift and quick loading guns makes it a fun boat .. I prefer the Atago for doing damage to the enemy though

6,165 posts
5,833 battles

Two battles does not a sample size make.  But yes, Kutusov is a solid ship.  I recently aquired one, but was cursed by terrible teams for 8 or the 10 games I've played, but have done rather well, all the same.  I just wish it had a few km better detection, like the Edinburgh (which I would say is better in a few ways and do excellent in).

Yeah.  From my experience, you do have to coordinate with the team in order to win with the Kutuzov.  She's not really handy as a solo killer - something that's more for an Atago.  She's better when you're teamed up with somebody else - either a battleship to screen fire or a destroyer to torp the unsuspecting fools aiming for you :).

6,165 posts
5,833 battles

The Kutuzov is good, real good. But not OP. 

Aye!  She has tin-foil armor and you will get punished if you attract enemy fire :P.

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,180 posts
10,511 battles

Well considering you have 2 games played in her..........that pads the average damage heavily. Once you play her more and more your average reults will not be as good, I promise you that

[OWSS]
Beta Testers
794 posts
6,703 battles

Atago can output much higher damage.

I'd say even good players would take the Atago over the Kutuzov in competitive matches.  The Kutuzov has great gun handling but the detection range can be challenging playing against good BB's on the enemy side.

-Members-
1,117 posts
3,721 battles

We used to have a saying a few years back in my old clan in World of Tanks.

"There are no such things as OP tanks. Only OP players who drive them."

Edited by Mezurashi

6,165 posts
5,833 battles

I'd say even good players would take the Atago over the Kutuzov in competitive matches.  The Kutuzov has great gun handling but the detection range can be challenging playing against good BB's on the enemy side.

...and the Atago is more suited to securing solo kills than the Kutuzov.  I'm personally more of a seond-line team player, so the Kutuzov style is more fitting for me, but the glory really goes to the Atago players since they have the concealment, guns, and armor to kill people with ease.

Members
941 posts
4,088 battles

They are super annoying at long range to my Bismarck, tirpitz, and Missouri, but when they don't have their smoke at close range, hehe

[KIA-C]
Members
2,306 posts
14,701 battles

Honestly I'd take the Edinburgh over the Kutuzov in ranked for the same reason.  Believe it or not, Edinburgh's cit is actually thicker (by 4mm) and smaller, though overall armour is less than Kutuzov's.  Plus you can stealthtorp like Atago with CE (Edin is actually sneakier than Atago-though with less torps) and have a better heal.  Kutuzov just sticks out like a sore thumb like the Hipper/Eugen, but without the trolly armour of the germans, conceal of the USN, RN, and IJN, and heal of the last two.  It gets more smoke than the RN, but it doesn't last as long.  It gets great AA, but there's few CVs around to use it on (and RN and USN don't have bad AA at T8).  Its torps are between German and IJN/RN in terms of range.  All it really has going for it compared to the other lines is the gun handling.  That doesn't mean it's a bad ship.  The smoke is great for team gameplay, and it's decently capable as a ship, but it's more of a harassing ship than a hunting ship.
Edited by thegamefilmguruman

[NG-NL]
Members
6,266 posts
10,102 battles

It's only very annoying when invisifiring from smoke. Otherwise just another nimble VMF CA.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,705 battles

Kutzov is one of the strongest 8 cruisers. It can literally sit at max range and pelt you to death with HE.

Members
19 posts
1,873 battles

Two battles is an awful sample size. Reach 100 at least before making any conclusions based on numbers alone.

Please just give me an opportunity to brag xD 

[SYN]
Members
3,741 posts
23,604 battles

It's the singer and not the song.

Nice couple of games op.

Members
381 posts
5,656 battles

Atago is very good too, but to me they are completely different. Atago is a great ambush hunter killer, Kutuzov is clearly a support ship.

Best support ship in the game. Witherer and arsonist will come up a lot. 100k games are pretty common. She sees a lot of t9 t10 matches but can still be viable.

I have had it since release when I first started playing...my first premium, I had it decked out for AA. I only began maximizing its potential the last 100 games or so.

It is a very fun ship, sheer rof makes her a good DD killer, knocks out modules left and right. AP can do tons of damage on a broadside targets. Iowa/Mo/NC are extremely susceptible to broadside AP as well as any cruiser.

Has a pretty good health pool allowing it to take on DD's fairly close.

She would be op with Radar though, its the only think it lacks.

If you have a DD spot for you it will wreck havoc on dd's and BB's at range.

Not uncommon to have 15-20 fires in a match.

Big & fragile, even at 15km she is a ripe target for t9/t10 BB's and you will get cited coming or going, forget showing your side.

Its one of those ships that you nearly always finish near the top, even with no FRAGs. she makes tons of credits and is a superb VMF trainer

Members
5,417 posts
3,213 battles

Kutuzov is the best tier 8 cruiser, and is IMO stupidly OP, though the Chapayev will give it a run for it's money. Arguably the best tier 8 premium. 19km range, with 12 fast firing, flame throwing guns that have good AP, 8km torpedoes in quintuple launchers, and an effing smoking generator? What could go wrong?

Members
268 posts
4,012 battles

You really needed more games before you making such statement. IMO, Kutuzov is a decent ship but not op as most of her damage comes from fire (quite RNG based)

ps: on warshipstoday, this thing only has 41603 average damage vs Chapayev having 41892