You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Is the Royal Navy the joke of this game?

57 comments in this topic

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

I was thinking about starting with british cruisers but yesterday I was in my Bismarck, only 1 or 2 minutes after starting a new battle, I had the chance to shot to an enemy Edinburgh so I did it and I destroyed this ship in a single salvo, 31,800 HP. I am not even good at aiming and I did almost the same to a lot of Leanders that has become my favourite cruiser for easy citadels. Seriously, I am not good at aiming and I am not able to do the same with japanese cruisers (I only did the same with an Atago), hardly ever with USN cruisers. The only british ship I own right now is the Battleship Warspite.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,000 posts
5,814 battles

Any t8 cruiser can be 1-shot by a t8 battleship. What you did was nothing out of the ordinary.

• Cool 15

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

I was thinking about starting with british cruisers but yesterday I was in my Bismarck, only 1 or 2 minutes after starting a new battle, I had the chance to shot to an enemy Edinburgh so I did it and I destroyed this ship in a single salvo, 31,800 HP. I am not even good at aiming and I did almost the same to a lot of Leanders that has become my favourite cruiser for easy citadels. Seriously, I am not good at aiming and I am not able to do the same with japanese cruisers (I only did the same with an Atago), hardly ever with USN cruisers. The only british ship I own right now is the Battleship Warspite.

In that instance, it was really more the fault of the driver than the ship. Any cruiser at tier 8, or any tier, really, can be killed from a single salvo from a battleship. I see it all the time.

Beta Testers
15,667 posts
4,271 battles

British CLs are alot like USN DDs with a Citadel but more dakka. Basically, they are paper, but they have the ability to put out alot of hurt... so long as the enemy doesn't angle well. They average high damage, have torps, have low detectibility, and even smoke.

One shotting isn't surprising either. Any cruiser is paper, but RN CL's even more so. But an Atago, Mogami, New Orleans, or Hipper in the same instance could have easily been one shotted as well.

Edited by Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

In that instance, it was really more the fault of the driver than the ship. Any cruiser at tier 8, or any tier, really, can be killed from a single salvo from a battleship. I see it all the time.

So then british captains in North America server suck so much

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,732 battles

Treat them like a DD with heal, hydro and a citadel. If you're good in a DD, you'll like them.

[HINON]
Members
3,266 posts
27,586 battles

and whenever you are shooting at an angled ship, which is often. A tier 5 german DD bouncing Fiji shells with his bow armor had me like

wXnvMcJ.png

Edited by giovybez
  • Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Members
5,189 posts
13,707 battles

and whenever you are shooting at an angled ship, which is often. A tier 5 german DD bouncing Fiji shells with his bow armor had me like

wXnvMcJ.png

ePOw2Sw.jpg
  • Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

edinbugh is fine if they are top tiered.  much harder when they are low tiered.    you have to play real cautious with edinburgh.    I am figuring it out but   you cannot be aggressive at all.  but if you play it right, you can have 100k dmg match and 4 kill like I had yesterday.     it really is fiji with slightly better heal/torps with much harder MM and    it is very fragile .   TBH   takao is totally OP  and  fun ship.   Hipper is competent .

[NNG]
Members
1,675 posts
3,039 battles

Just because they can be killed in one salvo doesn't mean they are bad, I actually think British cruisers are rather annoying when I drive battleships, they spam HE like you wouldn't believe

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
8,214 battles

Just because they can be killed in one salvo doesn't mean they are bad, I actually think British cruisers are rather annoying when I drive battleships, they spam HE like you wouldn't believe

Only the Belfast spams HE, as it's the only RN cruiser that has HE. Not one ship in the tech tree has HE, they all only have AP.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

yup only AP.  of course I like doing 4-5k  dmg per volley using AP against BB's.  :D I can see where neptune or minotaur can be totally nuts with their ROF.

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,463 posts
24,697 battles

Perth also has HE even though it's common wealth but it's just a Leander.

The British cruiser line is a series of light cruisers much like the Russians. They don't have much armor and are easy to kill. Edinburgh is a beast, not as much as Fiji, but it can really bring the pain. 

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
8,214 battles

yup only AP.  of course I like doing 4-5k  dmg per volley using AP against BB's.  :D I can see where neptune or minotaur can be totally nuts with their ROF.

I almost feel dirty when playing my Minotaur. She feels that OP lol. But then I get over it and laugh as I melt BBs with my AP :D

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,092 posts
14,687 battles

Only place the Brits are a joke in this game is tier 2-5.

Actually tier 4 and tier 5 are quite good but the tier 5 suffers with a high percentage of tier 7 matches. Tier 2 & 3 I will agree with you but then with very few exceptions 2 & 3 are sucky for every line.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,263 posts
12,121 battles

Story time my son, you see, British cruisers are NOT meant, under any circumstances,unless the enemy is distracted, to be in close quarters to ships, ESPECIALLY battleships, they're more of a "stealthy hunter" basically a large destroyer to be honest, its not meant to go in at the front its meant to use concealment, ie hiding behind islands, using its smoke, or friendly dd smoke, to be of good use if it goes out front its GOING to die, no ifs ands or buts about it you go out front in a British cruiser you die, they, in my opinion, should be played like a giant destroyer, dont let enemys see you, fire from concealment you have quick-firing guns, if you can get in a smoke screen or behind an island you can shoot over and not be seen you will do some damage, so  no, they arent a joke, far from it, it just takes some tactics and teamwork to do good in them, Hope you found this helpful 

• Cool 1

Members
2,136 posts
5,755 battles

Only Perth and Belfast can spam HE.

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

The RN CLs t5+ are great, the Warspite is good, the Campbeltown...well lets not talk about that. So no, the Royal Navy is not the joke of the game.

[SIM]
Members
5,362 posts
8,824 battles

British are clearly going to be a challenging line that will reward good players without any hand-holding for newbies.  

• Cool 2

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
20,968 battles

Whoever upvoted the OP needs to be banned from the game until he develops a brain.

British CLs from T2-5 are pretty sucky, with Emerald being the least interesting of them all because of the absolute necessity to yolo rush up to T7 battleships to have any hope of doing damage (the guns suck).  From Leander onwards, their AP is absurdly powerful and their torpedoes get workable range.  Anything that isn't flat bow-on to them is going to be eating massive amounts of penetration damage.

Edited by TenguBlade
  • Cool 3

[BLEP]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
585 posts
5,098 battles

Story time my son, you see, British cruisers are NOT meant, under any circumstances,unless the enemy is distracted, to be in close quarters to ships, ESPECIALLY battleships, they're more of a "stealthy hunter" basically a large destroyer to be honest, its not meant to go in at the front its meant to use concealment, ie hiding behind islands, using its smoke, or friendly dd smoke, to be of good use if it goes out front its GOING to die, no ifs ands or buts about it you go out front in a British cruiser you die, they, in my opinion, should be played like a giant destroyer, dont let enemys see you, fire from concealment you have quick-firing guns, if you can get in a smoke screen or behind an island you can shoot over and not be seen you will do some damage, so  no, they arent a joke, far from it, it just takes some tactics and teamwork to do good in them, Hope you found this helpful 

Shoot, the mino is good close quarters. That 3 second reload at about 8km or less hitting the upper belt of a BB will melt it. They were doing 4 - 5k damage per salvo every 3ish seconds.

All in all It feels like T6 - T9 British Cls play like you describe though and with all their gimmicks they seem to do well. (Higher skill floor to be fair but also a high skill ceiling)

Off topic the T10 British CL feels really over powered. Almost certainly needs a nerf.

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
8,214 battles

Shoot, the mino is good close quarters. That 3 second reload at about 8km or less hitting the upper belt of a BB will melt it. They were doing 4 - 5k damage per salvo every 3ish seconds.

All in all It feels like T6 - T9 British Cls play like you describe though and with all their gimmicks they seem to do well. (Higher skill floor to be fair but also a high skill ceiling)

Off topic the T10 British CL feels really over powered. Almost certainly needs a nerf.

Do not ever talk about giving my Minotaur a nerf! Those are fighting words! Not having HE is nerf enough lol.