Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Pete_Darling

Russian Signal Flags

4 comments in this topic

[W_H_S]
Members
592 posts
17,306 battles

Hey Everyone,

Anybody know much about Russian/Soviet Signal Flags? I'm an avid collector of WWII and prior firearms and mostly Soviet so every now and then someone will bring me other items like uniforms or in this case Signal Flags. I was kind of curious what these flags mean. I tried to find them on Google with no luck. I only know they are Soviet or a satellite country because they have the Sickle and Hammer on them but they also have a Star. Being they made it to the USA I assume they are either a parade flag or off a merchant vessel but I was wonder if anyone had an idea. I'll try to post pictures later but they are 12 feet long so I have to find a place to lay them out to try to get a picture.  

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

Signal flags are supposed to be the same across the nations - otherwise nobody would know what they mean. It's difficult to say without pictures, but flag with sickle & hammer is likely to be just a Soviet flag (ensign).

[KERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,277 posts
7,096 battles

Signal flags are supposed to be the same across the nations - otherwise nobody would know what they mean. It's difficult to say without pictures, but flag with sickle & hammer is likely to be just a Soviet flag (ensign).

This actually was not always the case, and there are variants still in use to this day by various navies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_maritime_signal_flags

[W_H_S]
Members
592 posts
17,306 battles

Kind of what I was thinking from what I have found in the last few days. I do know that the Imperial Navy and USSR used a few signals not recognized Internationally but being they weren't all identical yet similar I wasn't sure.  

Sign in to follow this