You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Lert's tier 5 experiment

260 comments in this topic

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,791 posts
12,155 battles

Well I had about 50 battles at tier 6 duplicating the experiment(got sidetracked with life).  I pretty much found I spent an equal amount of time in tier 6-8 battles. It's just that so many people remember the bad instead of the good, it leads to conformation bias.

Most of the data we've seen so far indicates that you are indeed uptiered too much.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,689 posts

Most of the data we've seen so far indicates that you are indeed uptiered too much.

Kind of what I was thinking... and I think the data was indicating this to be true... so maybe folks were told to just let it die? I dunno... seemed to be a really hot topic at the start... was thinking we'd see a flurry of activity and some super nice graphics. Ah well... 

Members
488 posts
8,388 battles

I would say you need to define "too much". You spend more time in higher tiers as progression slows down, there should naturally be more people in that bracket ergo more games for a higher tier. Compare the tier 5 results against the tier 7 results and then look for a discrepancy?

Beta Testers
264 posts
1,163 battles

Compare the tier 5 results against the tier 7 results and then look for a discrepancy?

I have 32 T7 games recorded which worked out to be: 2 T9; 14 T8; 16 T7.

Not really a good sample for T8, but for the record so far that works out at: 1 T10; 1 T9; 10 T8.

Edited by Nuisance_Value

Beta Testers
417 posts
10,754 battles

So, given that I'm a fujin [edited]with 3118 battles in it...

I didn't pay attention to the MM changes when they happened.  Something about summer at a cottage...   But, I had sorta noticed a reduction in tier 4/5 matches.   TBH, this didn't bother me, as a tier 4/5 match feels too much like seal clubbing with a 19 pt commander in a fujin.

That being said, a tier 5 cruiser/BB/gun DD in a tier 7 match is in a lot more trouble than an invisible torp DD.   However, it is a LOT harder to carry a tier 7 match in a tier 5 DD....

The real question is what the causes are.   I'm guessing it is a combination of tier population crossed with the MM changes.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,689 posts

TBH... I think it may also consider the specific ship... like the Kami R - seems very rare she is ever top tier (V). 

[WSU]
Members
1,494 posts
10,207 battles

So, given that I'm a fujin [edited]with 3118 battles in it...

I didn't pay attention to the MM changes when they happened.  Something about summer at a cottage...   But, I had sorta noticed a reduction in tier 4/5 matches.   TBH, this didn't bother me, as a tier 4/5 match feels too much like seal clubbing with a 19 pt commander in a fujin.

That being said, a tier 5 cruiser/BB/gun DD in a tier 7 match is in a lot more trouble than an invisible torp DD.   However, it is a LOT harder to carry a tier 7 match in a tier 5 DD....

The real question is what the causes are.   I'm guessing it is a combination of tier population crossed with the MM changes.

WG made a MM change that T3 & T4 would get preferential +/- 1 tier MM, thus T5 ships can no longer be top tier against T3, and T6 can no longer be top tier against T4.  Thus T5 ships can only be top tier in T4/T5 battles, the rest of the time you are bottom tier in T5/T6 or T5/T6/T7.