Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aduial

Mogami (155mm) with HEAP/IFHE

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

13 posts in this topic

Has anyone tested the skill with the Mogami on the PTS? I didn't quite have enough time to get around to testing the Mogami with it. With it, it seems that you can now penetrate the bow and stern armour of all battleship and the upper belt sections of most T10 CAs, but you lose more than half of your fire chance. So how well does it work in practice? 

I tried it on the Akizuki and still managed to set 1 fire, I had demolition expert on too. slightly improved HE hits did not seem like a lot. It might not be the ship you want to try it out on though.

Why would you want to to?

Fire chance insane on 1t5.

Shell damage is insane...

I tried it on the Akizuki and still managed to set 1 fire, I had demolition expert on too. slightly improved HE hits did not seem like a lot. It might not be the ship you want to try it out on though.

It's already hard enough to start fires with Akizuki with all the skills and mods available. Personally the fire % deduction is too high a cost for 25% more penetration. 25% of almost nothing is still almost nothing. They say it helps fight DDs but two points are (1) AP on Akizuki will actually hurt other DDs good and she switches between HE and AP pretty quick; and (2) you should try to avoid knife fights with Akizuki anyway unless you know you will have the initiative. In many situations, her concealment is too poor to retaliate to other DDs effectively. Take the hits and keep the other DD lit because nowadays BBs fear stealth fire more than they fear torpedoes.

I would actually put this on ships that switch between HE and AP slowly like Yamato that likes to snipe from the back for example. You may be using HE on a BB target but a CA may just have come into sight with full broadside presented to you. Not enough time to switch to AP so with this you can stay on HE and have a better chance of hitting a citadel.

Mogami with 155mm doesn't seem like the best candidate for HEAP to me. You're taking her down to 4% fires. Might be more worthwhile on the larger caliber though. 12% is more workable and the reload is slow enough that switching to AP may cost you an opportunity. They also have better penetration.

I think 155 Mogami is a middle-of-the-road choice for this.  While Inertia Fuzes increases her HE penetration to 32.29mm of armor, meaning you can damage BBs in more spots, it also reduces your fire chance from 10% to 4%  Whereas, if you shattered the HE shells on 32mm plating, your fire chance is 5%.  So it provides no definitive advantage in firestarting ability in exchange for more reliable damage.  Personally, I think that's actually a nerf to her to take the skill, because setting someone on fire then letting the fire do the work is safer than HE spamming him to death - and you have a slight advantage in firestarting ability by just shattering instead of using Inertia Fuzes.

Meanwhile all 152mm cruiser HE penetrates only 31.66mm of armor with this skill:trollface:

Edited by TenguBlade

I think 155 Mogami is a middle-of-the-road choice for this.  While Inertia Fuzes increases her HE penetration to 32.29mm of armor, meaning you can damage BBs in more spots, it also reduces your fire chance from 10% to 4%  Whereas, if you shattered the HE shells on 32mm plating, your fire chance is 5%.  So it provides no definitive advantage in firestarting ability in exchange for more reliable damage.  Personally, I think that's actually a nerf to her to take the skill, because setting someone on fire then letting the fire do the work is safer than HE spamming him to death - and you have a slight advantage in firestarting ability by just shattering instead of using Inertia Fuzes.

Meanwhile all 152mm cruiser HE penetrates only 31.66mm of armor with this skill:trollface:

It would only be a 1% loss if you take DE skill though... Inertia fuzes is only -3% fire chance.

I just had a battle in my mogami with DE+Inertia fuzes and it was absurd how many fires it set. Each salvo on a BB was doing 6k damage solid and setting double fires is the norm every other salvo.

I'm guessing WG goofed again by increasing fire chance in all ships significantly like it was many,many patches ago. Not even my scharnhorst which has the -fire chance module upgrade and the -fire chance captain skill can do anything about being on triple fires all the time. Its just retarded.

I'm running this now without the DE and just IFHE. Although I haven't played enough games yet to come to a final conclusion, I feel as though I am getting more damage in battleships superstructures so far. Even bow on, reducing the size of the target and few shells hitting, I seem to be getting better damage. My fire chance seems a bit lower now though it never seemed that high to me.

Considering the Fire Prevention Perk, Damage Control Modules, and -20% time of fire extinguishing flag I'm more inclined to believe I'd rather do the damage for sure than strictly rely on fires. Even with the reduction there is always a chance and getting DE will make the reduction only -1%.

It would only be a 1% loss if you take DE skill though... Inertia fuzes is only -3% fire chance.

I just had a battle in my mogami with DE+Inertia fuzes and it was absurd how many fires it set. Each salvo on a BB was doing 6k damage solid and setting double fires is the norm every other salvo.

I'm guessing WG goofed again by increasing fire chance in all ships significantly like it was many,many patches ago. Not even my scharnhorst which has the -fire chance module upgrade and the -fire chance captain skill can do anything about being on triple fires all the time. Its just retarded.

The comment was made in the first round of PT when the penalty was 6% and the penetration bonus 25%.  If you want to make me look stupid, there's easier ways to do so than digging up an outdated post.

Inertia Fuses really seems to be another skill for Battleships, now they can Penetrate and possibly score Citadels with any type of ammo, or for ships that have low chance to score fires to begin with.

Anyways, Mogami is not a good cruiser, anything above Furutaka/Aoba in the IJN line is crap to be honest. They nerfed the whole line a while ago and they dont even have Historical Torpedo Firing arcs, very restricted, very weak. 

IJN Cruisers are simply cannon fodder in this game now, in my opinion. I played the line since Launch and went up to Mogami, I do not even know why I should push to Ibuki it virtually has nothing different other than some more AA guns, and Zao is really pita at tier 10, 1-2 shots and it sinks.

Edited by Suraknar

Inertia Fuses really seems to be another skill for Battleships, now they can Penetrate and possibly score Citadels with any type of ammo, or for ships that have low chance to score fires to begin with.

Anyways, Mogami is not a good cruiser, anything above Furutaka/Aoba in the IJN line is crap to be honest. They nerfed the whole line a while ago and they dont even have Historical Torpedo Firing arcs, very restricted, very weak. 

IJN Cruisers are simply cannon fodder in this game now, in my opinion. I played the line since Launch and went up to Mogami, I do not even know why I should push to Ibuki it virtually has nothing different other than some more AA guns, and Zao is really pita at tier 10, 1-2 shots and it sinks.

88ed4991634c496bd7fbf7733749b615ac51f887

Did the fire chance on the 155 mm Mogami get nerfed in 0.6.0?  Thanks.

Istria

Did the fire chance on the 155 mm Mogami get nerfed in 0.6.0?  Thanks.

Istria

No it did not. But Demolition Expert did. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0