Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stark23

Buffing Prinz Eugen

31 comments in this topic

[DAB]
[DAB]
Beta Testers
43 posts
6,124 battles

I purchased Prinz when it first came out and I didn't regret it despite having Hipper but I did feel something was lacking. Now with so many players getting Prinz via Santa and maybe a resale in the near future I feel it's time to revisit the subject of giving her a much needed buff to separate herself from Hipper.

Now, I like Prinz a great deal, the Commander XP buff on her camo is very nice and should be something that more premiums have but the ship itself I feel is lacking. Like all premiums her stats vary in parts compared to her sister on the tree and I realize she's a cruiser so she's not designed to take hits but I feel the best option is to perhaps give her a Repair Party like Atago and ARP Takao. This is the best option for Prinz to separate herself from Hipper since many call her a clone and she certainly feels like it. I want Prinz to stand out and be worth playing, when she first came out a lot of people were angry and called her a reskin and an obvious money grab from WarGaming on a popular ship and I, as well as others, can see where they were coming from. Giving her a Repair Party seems like a logical step for a Tier VIII Premium Cruiser. 

[SPTR]
Members
3,514 posts
6,121 battles

Not a bad thought, but the problem is that sweet Prinz along with Hipper are already solid and competitive ships...

A buff to make a OP premium is nothing new #NerfNikolai #NerfGremyashchy, but still I'm confident that WG doesn't want to break the game just yet...

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
1,766 battles

Honestly, I'd be happy if PE just got two minor gimmicks that wouldn't directly increase her combat effectiveness:

• Appear as a BB on the enemy's minimap (representing her getting mistaken for Bismarck at Denmark Strait)
  • Allow her to use either a KM or USN commander (since America took possession of her at the end of the war, plus WG could sell more PEs to USN players who've been asking for a T8 captain trainer)

Edit:  Now with explanations

Edited by DoomStomper

[HINON]
Supertester
20,092 posts
13,558 battles

I don't see a need to buff Eugen.

Members
1,553 posts
13,208 battles

PE is ok when  fighting tier 8 and below, but when tiered up (which seems to be a lot of the time) she is not very competitive. Just stands out too much, no offensive or defensive capabilities like the Kut or Atago.  In tier 9 and 10 battles what gets seen gets shot at, and PE gets seen by everyone when it shoots.  Have the concealment build and still when the guns fire everyone sees you and starts lobbing shells in your direction.  

[INTEL]
Members
6,894 posts
27,643 battles

Nope. I do not see why it needs a buff. Both Hipper and Eugen are good ships on their own. They are not entry-level ships and need care in handling. That's known and fine.

Leave as-is (and yes I do have it).

• Cool 1

[RKN]
Banned
9,382 posts
12,348 battles

PE is ok when fighting tier 8 and below, but when tiered up (which seems to be a lot of the time) she is not very competitive. Just stands out too much, no offensive or defensive capabilities like the Kut or Atago.  In tier 9 and 10 battles what gets seen gets shot at, and PE gets seen by everyone when it shoots.  Have the concealment build and still when the guns fire everyone sees you and starts lobbing shells in your direction.  

Isn't that literally all but a select few T8 ships?  I see no reason why this means Eugen in particular needs to be buffed.

[TASH]
Members
5,027 posts
8,553 battles

Give her a higher fire chance because Prinz Eugen loves fires!

zIECHRT.jpg

Edited by ValkyrWarframe
  • Cool 3

Members
1,553 posts
13,208 battles

Isn't that literally all but a select few T8 ships?  I see no reason why this means Eugen in particular needs to be buffed.

detection range is the worst.  Ed has smoke, mog lower detection by a couple of km, chappy has a little less, but is in same boat.  NO is just bad but will have to see when it gets torps. Other premiums have heal and smoke for tier 8 cruisers.
Edited by Panzer1113

Beta Testers
76 posts
2,392 battles

Considering it's the second worst Tier 8 cruiser (only rivaled by the New Orleans) I'd suggest as a premium it should get something of value to add while IN GAME.  this is the problem with the PE...while the experience it gains for a captain is awesome..the win rate, average damage, and kill to death rate is brutal for a Premium and it offers NO extra value to in game play over the Hipper. Range, turning radius and AA are all worse than the Hipper...so it should get SOMETHING!!!  Give the Prinz some love...one repair charge would be awesome...it doesn't need radar.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,092 posts
13,558 battles

Considering it's the second worst Tier 8 cruiser (only rivaled by the New Orleans) I'd suggest as a premium it should get something of value to add while IN GAME.

I hear what you're saying but still don't see a need to buff it. Not all premiums need to have a gameplay gimmick and not all premiums need to be near the top of the performance curve across all skills.

Beta Testers
76 posts
2,392 battles

I hear what you're saying but still don't see a need to buff it. Not all premiums need to have a gameplay gimmick and not all premiums need to be near the top of the performance curve across all skills.

It's just disappointing that one of the most famous ships of WW2 is pretty much garbage in this game...that being said...i still like it for sentimental reasons.  :)  

[SALTY]
Members
190 posts
15,164 battles

If Graf Spee gets a heal and faces a max of T8 ships, and Hipper-Eugen doesn't get a heal, and has to deal with T10 quite often, and T9/10 cruisers all have heal, then in addition to this being a rather glorious example of a run-on sentence, I must say -- something ain't right with that setup. The current setup doesn't please me much, especially as an owner of Prinz Eugen which, while being an OK ship with great sentimental value, is relatively weak. I do think HIpper & Prinz Eugen should be buffed very mildly, and a majority of mid and high tier cruisers should get heal. At least give it to T8 cruisers when they are bottom tier. Can't we at least get Wargaming to throw us a bone that small?

• Cool 1

[PLPTR]
Beta Testers
519 posts
1,777 battles

Yea, she's really underperforming. I mean, hipper is amazing but when I consider a 70k damage on a cruiser a very good one and you can rack up 200k on Takao something is happening. Her guns are great yes but its the ONLY strenght the ship has. German hydro? Useless because you can't get close at all. Anti air? Useless, nobody plays carriers this days and they'll even less with the nerfs coming the next patch. Handling? the worst. Concealment? the ABSOLUTE worst (NC can get less concealment than hipper oh mai gad) Armor? troll asf and absolutely unreliable. One time you bounce 41" easly and the other scharhorst gets 3cit on you with her low caliber. 

Guns? she has only 8 of them and they have really bad angles, you can only shoot 4 realisticaly if you want to survive. Torpedo tubes? good angles but the worst torpedo range of all the cruisers, useless asf unless someone decided that you need to be rushed on.

Can you play her to her strenghts? obviously, every ship can be. Even the pre-buffs colorado (considered the worst ship on WoWs history) had people that liked it and could be able to play her to her strenghts. That doesn't mean that she's underperforming asf right now.

[SALTY]
Members
190 posts
15,164 battles

Alright, after posting earlier, I was rather eager to enjoy a battle in my Prinz Eugen. Fired up the game, entered battle, first blood & double strike in the first 5 minutes, killing a Missouri and an Atlanta. I did die, of course. :P Those torpedo arcs are fantastic! She can be powerful in the right situation, just like any ship. I don't mind dying quickly if I can get that kind of result -- in an extended gunnery duel, she's a loser anyway.

Edited by chs4000

[SALTY]
Members
190 posts
15,164 battles

Her guns are great yes but its the ONLY strenght the ship has. 

I just posted saying they're poor. Maybe that's an exaggeration. Perhaps her guns are indeed great, but the shells are poor. The AP shells normalization, for example, pathetic. HE shells . . . worst in the game. Ballistics, fine. Shells, bad. Ship, weak.

Edited by chs4000

[PLPTR]
Beta Testers
519 posts
1,777 battles

I just posted saying they're poor. Maybe that's an exaggeration. Perhaps her guns are indeed great, but the shells are poor. The AP shells normalization, for example, pathetic. HE shells . . . worst in the game. Ballistics, fine. Shells, bad. Ship, weak.

I find my hipper's AP to be stronger than the other cruisers I've played on (russia and IJN ones) but yes, they underperform. I just can't see why the actualy USN cruisers have the passive the german ones should have. 

[RAN]
Members
36 posts
11,516 battles

It would be great if all t8 cruisers got one charge healing, especially with all the t10 battles they see. With the possible exception of the MK with its smoke.

[SIDE]
Members
1,406 posts
9,527 battles

I don't either. It's already got a perk; just because it's an odd perk, doesn't make it bad. Sold my Hipper and kept this 'new hipper' instead.

Beta Testers
76 posts
2,392 battles

I don't either. It's already got a perk; just because it's an odd perk, doesn't make it bad. Sold my Hipper and kept this 'new hipper' instead.

It's not a "perk" if you can't get decent EXP with this ship...in fact I'd say it's the worst Tier 8 since the NO has radar...I think the premiums should at least offer something of value in regards to gameplay...that's all we want...how about a bit better fire starting rating than the Hipper...after all the PE did start the fire on the Hood's boat deck!  :)

[DAB]
[DAB]
Beta Testers
43 posts
6,124 battles

Kutuzov gets smoke, Atago gets Repair Party. I thought giving something to Prinz to help her compete would help. I love my Prinz but when choosing between the three tier 8 premium cruisers, it's hard to justify picking Prinz over Kut or Atago.

Sign in to follow this