• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

9 posts in this topic

I recently took a trip at the end of this past summer to visit the USS Massachusetts BB-59, a South Dakota Class Battleship moored at Battleship Cove in Fall River, MA. The USS Massachusetts is famous for shooting the first and last US 16in rounds of World War II, being the Flagship of Operation Torch, and earning 11 Battle Stars (most from the Pacific Theater) throughout World War II. The Big Mamie is a very proud veteran and she is in need of our help. Decades of sitting in the salty waters of the Fall River harbor have taken their toll on the old vet. Her paint is peeling away in large chucks, exposing massive rusting holes to the public. In fact the first thing you see as you walk on to the Big Mamie, is a big rusty hole on the middle cannon of her famous 16in guns. When I was a kid, I would do sleepovers on the USS Massachusetts with my boy scout troop and I remember fondly spending all day with my friends, crewing the large AA guns on the ship. Swinging the guns all around, tracking passing cars as if thet were Japaneses Planes making attack runs. Now all those gun are rusted in place or fallen apart to the point that you barely recognize what they were. Not all veteran are able to ask for help when they need it, and the Big Mamie is one of those vets. So I'll ask for her, that any players that lives near the MA area, please visit the USS Massachusetts at Battleship Cove this upcoming summer and if you can please donate to the repainting project. I also ask upon Wargaming, that if you made the USS Massachusetts into a premium ship in the game, to please arrange that part money to buy the ship in game was used as a donation to the museum. I know myself and many other player would be more than happy to pay the high price of a premium ship knowing our money was going to great cause like a veteran in need. And please add Battleship Cove to your list of places to host WoWS events, the Big Mamie would love the attention. The United States is very lucky to still have ships like the USS Massachusetts to remind us of a history that should never be forgotten. So please help this amazing veteran so we can pass on her gifts of history to the many generations to follow.

http://battleshipcove.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship_Cove

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Massachusetts_(BB-59)

Edited by Greenalgae67

Swinging the guns all around, tracking passing cars as if the were Japaneses Planes making attack runs

Ok then, I'll guess I better start walking instead of driving.

I recently took a trip at the end of this past summer to visit the USS Massachusetts BB-59, a South Dakota Class Battleship moored at Battleship Cove in Fall River, MA. The USS Massachusetts is famous for shooting the first and last US 16in round of World War II, being the Flagship of Operation Torch, and earning 11 Battle Stars (most from the Pacific Theater) throughout World War II. The Big Mamie is very proud veteran and she is in need of our help. Decades of sitting in the salty waters of the Fall River harbor have taken their toll on the old vet. Her paint is peeling away in large chucks, exposing massive rusting holes to the public. In fact the first thing you see as you walk on to the Big Mamie is a big rusty hole on the middle cannon of her famous 16in guns. When I was a kid, I would do sleepovers on the USS Massachusetts with my boy scout troop and I remember fondly spending all day with my friends, crewing the large AA guns on the ship. Swinging the guns all around, tracking passing cars as if the were Japaneses Planes making attack runs. Now all those gun are rusted in place or fallen apart to the point that you barely recognize what they were. Not all veteran are able to ask for help when they need it, and the Big Mamie is one of those vets. So I'll ask for her, that any players that lives near the MA area, please visit the USS Massachusetts at Battleship Cove this upcoming summer and if you can please donate to the repainting project. I also ask upon Wargaming, that if you made the USS Massachusetts into a premium ship in the game, to please arrange that part money to buy the ship in game was used as a donation to the museum. I know myself and many other player would be more than happy to pay the high price of a premium ship knowing our money was going to great cause like a veteran in need. And please add Battleship Cove to your list of places to host WoWS events, the Big Mamie would love the attention. The United States is very lucky to still have ships like the USS Massachusetts to remind us of a history that should never be forgotten. So please help this amazing veteran so we can pass on her gifts of history to the many generations to follow.

http://battleshipcove.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship_Cove

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Massachusetts_(BB-59)

This is my favorite ship.  I got a military discount for tickets there and I still paid full price out of respect.  I would LOVE to see Big Mamie as a premium ship or in the tech tree somewhere.

My Boy Scout troop used to go spend nights on her to from Jersey, we would stay up most of the night playing manhunt all through out her compartments.  Left me with some incredible memories, I was thrilled to see her get her moment in the sun again from wargaming and would definitely buy her if some portion went to a restoration project of the museum.  There is an old sub there too, unbelievable how small those things are inside.

I'm planning on visiting her this Saturday as part of a visit to see my dad, who lives nearby.  I wasn't sure where to post this sort of thing, but if anyone is interested in an impromptu meet-up on board to make new friendships and share Boy Scout troop sleepover memories, I'd be down with that.  Regardless, I will try to take some pictures and report on her current condition.  Maybe I can sneak a Repair Party II aboard to take care of some of the major issues...