ValkyrWarframe

Valkyr's Ship Guides: Moskva

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

28 posts in this topic

Note: I want to start a new series of topics on ship reviews in which I look over how a ship performs and how to play she based on those characteristics.  I am relatively inexperienced in analyzing ships, so feel free to criticize me.  Yes I took inspiration from LittleWhiteMouse, but I'm going for a different approach.  I also am seriously obsessed with visual elements, so there are a lot of charts and tables.

After about six weeks of working (mostly in school), I finally did it: My first guide!  Please note that sarcasm in this guide is very prevalent and take most of my statements with a grain a salt.  I’ve got a lot of jokes ready.  So grab your reading glasses and a bottle of vodka, because it’s about to get Russian!

Disclaimer: LittleWhiteMouse doesn't hold a copyright with her guides, so please don't say I ripped off of her guides.  I also asked her first if I could write a guide.

Guide Written as of Patch 0.5.16.1 Updated for 0.6.0

Project 66 Heavy Cruiser 

Moskva

The Stalinium Cruiser Battleship

l0Qalu7.jpg

Moskva sitting on the East River in New York City, a rather ironic place to be considering her origins.

The Numbers and Stats

Quick Summary: Tier X Russian (Battle)cruiser who holds a lot of records.  Guns have the record for the longest base range and highest velocity for a cruiser.  Also has the highest HP for a cruiser, rivaling Tier VIII Battleships.  In return she has the worst concealment for a cruiser and probably the worst maneuverability too.

Most Relatable Ship: Scharnhorst

Resemblance: Clone / Sister-Ship / Related Class / Similar Role / Unique

Moskva is a rapid-fire support battleship to me.  Her role reminds me of the mid-tier Japanese Battleships: bad concealment, long range, and relatively high speed. However, she is also like Scharnhorst: rapid-fire, anti-cruiser guns that are pretty good firestarters.  She also has an angling profile similar to her class, but not exactly.  She also is like Iowa, with a relative high speed and a giant citadel that is halfway up the main belt.  It's pretty difficult to make an accurate comparison to her.

Now onto the skill requirements.

For those of you who don’t know what these are, “skill floor” is the experience needed to play the ship at an average performance.  “Skill ceiling” is the experience needed to play above average.

Skill Floor: Low / Low-Medium / Medium / Medium-High / High / Extreme

Skill Ceiling: Low / Low-Medium / Medium / Medium-High / High / Extreme

Moskva looks easy to play, and is relatively easy to just do mediocre.  Running around and being a super-annoying guy with your 19.4 km range is pretty simple, but that doesn't always work.  You might be able to do server average damage, but server average is not what most people at this tier look for.  There are techniques that seem simple in theory, but are very difficult to pull off in practice.

The main technique that one needs to know in this ship is the ability to bow-tank, with very unforgiving angles.  It's not even direct bow-tanking, you have to expose just a bit of your broadside to bounce shells off your thicker main belt, not the 25 mm bow that is useless against battleship AP.  Think of her like Scharnhorst or Gneisenau, where they get overmatched by same tier battleships.  The main deck and upper belt are 50 mm, which is enough to bounce any AP you see.  However, staying at max range is not an option, since you cannot support your team effectively.  Don't get too close either, or battleship AP will start penetrating the 25 mm bow.  You also shouldn't be the lead ship, unless all the battleships are dead.  In addition, pushing too much will lead to people getting your broadside, which is a death sentence.  It's hard to explain, and personally I did not get the hang of it for a while.

Cost: 19,500,000 Ca$h, assuming you have researched her.

Strengths:

• Stalin-Flavored ShellsTM

• Railguns with 985 m/s shell velocity, you can smack people at max range with ease.
  • 11.7 km radar means you can surprise destroyers (and concealment-built cruisers) at a longer range.
  • Decently fast-firing guns
  • Long, narrow hull means you can bounce AP more easily*
  • 50 mm of deck armor around the vital areas means invulnerability to most AP at long range.
  • She has best armor of any cruiser with almost 300mm on the turret faceplates, and it’s StaliniumTM**
  • Battleship-sized HP
  • Deceptively fast for her size with the 3rd highest horsepower rating in the game at 210,000.
  • Don’t know if this counts as a strength, but she has 6.5 km secondary range.
  • Standard Soviet AA Defense System will provide decent protection against planes, defensive fire will deter them if they are smart.
  • It favors this server’s meta of sniping, so your performance will be good if you play her right.

Weaknesses

• AP will bounce really easily, because Russian AP cries every time it doesn’t hit anything perfectly broadside.

• Does not have torpedoes, makes close-range brawling a death sentence usually.
  • Your 18 km concealment rivals Saint Basil’s Cathedral in Red Square.
  • Turns worse than the Soviet Union’s economy.
  • Hull is longer than Russia.
  • Lacks battleship-sized armor, so that battleship-sized HP is seen as free damage by your enemies.
  • Citadel is the size and height of Iowa’s, but with less protection.***
  • Without defensive fire, the AA guns are about as effective as Stalin’s Five-Year-Plans on the Soviet economy.
  • It’s a Tier X, so she still eats up your credits unless you have the permanent camouflage.

*Not guaranteed for all AP.  I do not take responsibility if you happen to get lolpenned because you thought you were invincible.

**Well, Russian ships usually don’t have armor, they survive because AP gloriously overpenetrates.  She does have good armor though, enough to prevent long-range citadels, but definitely not enough to stop citadels at mid to close range.

***Although StaliniumTM is stronker than Capitalist SteelTM, it doesn’t save you.  StaliniumTM armor doesn’t fix stupidity, don’t show your broadside.

The More Serious Review

If there is any ship that can have their classification changed easily, the Moskva would be in the top five on the list.  While she is the king of the Russian Cruiser line, she has characteristics more easily comparable to battleships than cruisers.   Heck, I would even consider her a Tier VIII Battleship in some respects, but that’s not my point.

I am going to convince you that Moskva is NOT to be played like a battleship.  A lot of people get to the Moskva, and see her giant HP pool and think she is a battleship.  They are wrong, Wrong, WRONG.

y7wXLbM.jpg

One of the main reasons why people think Moskva is a battleship, just look at her length compared to Yamato!  Image taken from Armada: Moskva

She really isn’t a cruiser either, because of her size and tonnage that far exceeds the definition of a cruiser.  Take a guess. 20,000 tons?  25,000 tons?  You need to go higher.

She weights a whopping 30,750 tons!  That’s heavier than Bayern!

In addition, she doesn’t have torpedoes which every Soviet cruiser had, and that only further reinforces the fact she isn’t a cruiser either.  However, she isn’t a battleship, or even a battlecruiser because of her cruiser-sized guns.  She isn’t a cruiser because of her massive tonnage. 

So what is she?  Let’s start with the most important part of a battleship: her survivability.

Survivability

HP: 65,400

Armor:

• Forward and After Ends: 25mm

• Armored Deck: 50mm
  • Bulkheads: 135-170mm
  • Citadel Belt: 50-155mm
  • Citadel Deck: 70-90mm
  • Turrets and Barbette: 135-300mm
  • Superstructure: 16-210mm

Torpedo Protection: 25%

As you can see, she has the biggest health pool for a cruiser in the game and impressive armor for a cruiser, with the thickest external citadel belt at that tier.  However, don’t let that get to your head too fast, because she has the Russian cruiser’s curse of the citadel being half of the hull’s height.  Even if you don’t turn your broadside, you still have to worry about your woefully inadequate bow armor that cannot bounce shells bigger than 357mm (the only battleship you’ll probably see that you can overmatch is a fail-division Scharnhorst).

Don’t worry, it is nearly impossible to be citadeled directly through the deck at almost any range, the problem is when it overmatches the bow at close range and hits the citadel.  Your high citadel means you probably will take a lot of damage from the few shells that do penetrate.  Don’t be dissuaded though, as you do have a giant HP pool equivalent to battleships.

Let’s compare HP and armor with other cruisers at the tier.  Please note that HP sections means that those sections contain HP, overall is everything (ex. Turrets are not part of the section HP pool).  Superstructure is always 16mm for Tier X cruisers (13mm for Minotaur), and I did include the bulkheads as part of the armor of HP sections.

Cruiser

HP

Min.-Max. Armor of HP Sections

Min.-Max. Armor Overall Thicknesses

Torpedo Protection

Des Moines

16-160mm

16-203mm

7%

Zao

16-203mm

16-203mm

19%

Hindenburg

16-110mm

16-150mm

13%

Moskva

16-170mm

16-300mm

25%

Minotaur

13-127mm

13-127mm

13%

The Moskva is the fourth tankiest cruiser in the game, and the tankiest of all the non-British cruisers.  Although honestly I think the British repair party from Tier VIII-X is pretty ridiculous...

Anyway, here’s a comparison of the repair parties and max potential health of all other Tier X cruisers, I threw Neptune in because she has more HP than Minotaur (for whatever reason).

Cruiser

Max HP

% Regenerated and Duration of Repair Party (Indicates with Dreadnought Flag)

Max Possible HP Regenerated Per Heal (Indicates with Dreadnought Flag)

Max Potential Health Pool*

Des Moines

0.5% (0.6%) for 28 seconds

7,084 (8,501)

Zao

5,712 (6,854)

Hindenburg

7,266 (8,719)

Moskva

9,156 (10,987)

Minotaur

2.0% (2.4%) for 20 seconds

17,320 (21,650)

Neptune

2.0% (2.4%) for 20 seconds

17,960 (22,450)

*With superintendent and premium repair party, you get 4 repair parties, I added the dreadnought flag that gives +20% more health regenerated.

Just a side note: don’t let the high potential health pools of the British cruisers deceive you, because although they can regenerate a lot of health quickly, they usually lose health quickly too (pretty much anything will citadel them, even battleship HE).

But that’s beside the point…let’s get back on track.

So what to do with all of this health?  Well, one thing you can do is bait people into shooting you by being broadside and then get free potential damage (yes that adds to your rewards).  I will cover more about strategies and scenarios later.

Artillery

Main Battery:3 x 3 220mm/65 SM-6

Rate of Fire: 5.8 rounds per minute

Reload Time: Approximately 10.34 seconds

180o Turn Time: 32.73 seconds

Traverse Speed: 5.5 degrees per second

Range: 19.4 km

Dispersion: 167 m

HE Damage: 3100

Fire Chance: 17%

AP Damage: 5800

Velocity: 985 m/s

Shell Weight: 176 kg*

*Source: NavWeaps.com

The main battery is definitely the best part of Moskva.  The superb guns speak for themselves, having decent if not excellent characteristics in all fields.  Seriously, these guns are deceptively powerful.  Let me explain why.

First off, the Stalinium AP is guaranteed to citadel battleships below 10 km, and considering how high the citadels are with Iowa (Missouri), Montana, Izumo, and Yamato, punishing broadsides is what this ship does best.  Did I forget to mention that you can citadel cruisers at any range, because you do a better job of eviscerating broadside cruisers than the battleships on your team, since battleship accuracy is heavily reliant on whether RNG favors your salvo.

Here’s a comparison with other Tier X cruisers.

Fun fact: Hindenburg actually has the worse penetration of all the heavy cruisers, but she has to have the highest AP alpha because German AP is supposed to be the best.

9VdRrxa.png

*Calculated by Initial Velocity – Impact Velocity at 10 km, higher value means lower coefficient

**Calculated by determining impact force of shells (Shell Weight x Velocity)

Looks like other cruisers have to focus on certain fields, and sacrificing other areas in return.  However, it is worth noting is the overmatch angles for Des Moines and Minotaur are special, while Moskva lacks a strength in that field, despite having the best AP.  This means unless you can get a broadside shot on someone, your shells are likely to bounce.  Battleships only have to turn slightly before your shells either shatter or bounce.

So, what makes Moskva’s AP good?  Well, it has the highest penetration of all cruiser guns in the game, with 496mm of penetration at 5 km, assuming it doesn’t bounce.  Here are the armor penetration values according to Armada: Moskva.

2JrHnm3.png

Here's a more complete version, taken from EU Forums.

6TtmJIY.png

”, as Hibiki would say.

However, just because your guns are powerful and decently fast-firing, that does not mean you can out-DPM everyone.  Here’s the DPM of all cruisers of Tier X for reference.

Cruiser

Armament

RPM

HE Alpha

AP Alpha

HE DPM

AP DPM

Des Moines

9 x 203mm

Zao

12 x 203mm

Hindenburg

12 x 203mm

Moskva

9 x 220mm

Minotaur

10 x 152mm

N/A

N/A

Moskva has the worst HE and the second-lowest AP damage per minute compared to other cruisers.  However, don’t let this discourage you from playing this ship, considering the superb ballistics as shown above.

On that note, let’s talk about the secondary armament.

Secondary Battery: 4 x 2 130mm/60 BL-109A

Rate of Fire: 15 rounds per minute

Reload Time: 4 seconds

HE Damage: 1800

Fire Chance: 8%

Velocity: 950 m/s

Range: 6.5 km

For whatever stupid reasons, the Moskva has the highest secondary range for a cruiser in the game, and the second-highest secondary range in the game in general, only behind Bismarck, Friedrich der Groß, Großer Kurfürst, Izumo, and Yamato.  Of course, cruiser secondaries are unreliable and you should not be in secondary range anyway with this ship.  Building this ship for secondaries shows you are…mentally unstable.

Anti-Aircraft Defense

One of the less khorosho parts of this ship, Moskva’s AA defense is subpar at best.  While it is enough to deter planes with defensive fire, it does not save you if the carrier is determined, defensive fire or no.  In addition, your giant HP pool and long hull means torpedo bombers are likely to target you.  Be prepared to take early evasive actions.

Short-Range AA Guns: 6 x 4 25mm 4M-120

Range: 3.1 km

Damage Per Second: 50

Medium-Range AA Guns: 6 x 4 45mm SM-20-ZIF

Range: 3.5 km

Damage Per Second: 123

Long-Range AA Guns:4 x 2 130mm/60 BL-109A

Range: 5.7 km

Damage Per Second: 111

Total Damage Per Second Below 3.1 km: 284

With Defensive Fire: 852

This may look decent, but keep in mind that all Tier X carrier planes have 2,000+ HP, and they likely are attacking you with more than one squad.  For reference, here’s a comparison with other Tier X cruisers.  I threw in Dmitri Donskoi’s top hull for reference too.

Cruiser

Short-Range

Medium-Range

Long-Range

Max Total

Def. Fire

Des Moines

43 at 2 km

None

424 at 5 km

Zao

103 at 3.1 km

99 at 3.5 km

124 at 5 km

Hindenburg

70 at 2 km

132 at 4.5 km

204 at 5 km

Moskva

50 at 3.1 km

123 at 3.5 km

111 at 5.7 km

Dm. Donsk.

83 at 3.1 km

123 at 3.5 km

117 at 5 km

Minotaur

60 at 2 km

315 at 5 km

118 at 6 km

N/A

It’s rather ironic that Moskva has the worse AA than her predecessor Dmitri Donskoi.  The only plus with Moskva is the fact she has 0.7 km higher AA range, which doesn’t make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Manual Control of AA does a little to help, as a nice majority of the damage comes from the 130mm guns.  However, there are better ways you can use those captain points, like getting Advanced Firing Training.

Unless you have assistance from your teammates or have defensive fire activated, you are likely going to take a lot of damage.  Even then, still use your WASD Hacks to throw off a carrier’s aim, they are attracted to the long hull like smoke attracts torpedoes.

On that note of maneuvering, let’s talk about how this ship handles.

Maneuverability

Propulsion: 210,000 hp

Max Speed: 34.5 knots

Rudder Shift Time: 10.9 seconds

Turning Circle Radius: 760 m

Although not khorosho, Moskva is still surprisingly maneuverable for her size, but still behind compared to other cruisers.  She is tied for the highest speed at Tier X, along with Zao at 34.5 knots. 

However, her long hull means a very long turning time.  Just because she has the second-lowest turning circle at Tier X, that doesn’t mean she is agile.  Combined with a poor rudder shift, trying to dodge on reaction in this ship is very challenging.  Don’t feel that bad though, because Hindenburg is worse in every respect, cause Hindenburg is just weak.

Once again, I will compare her stats to other Tier X cruisers.

Cruiser

Max Speed

Rudder Shift

Turning Circle

Des Moines

33 knots

8.6 seconds

770 meters

Zao

34.5 knots

7.7 seconds

840 meters

Hindenburg

31.5 knots

12.1 seconds

800 meters

Moskva

34.5 knots

10.9 seconds

760 meters

Minotaur

33.5 knots

10.4 seconds

660 meters

It goes without saying that you need at least Steering Gears Modification 2, if not also Steering Gears Modification 3.  You also will need to keep situational awareness (no I don’t mean just watching to see if you are detected), as in paying attention to enemy battleships’ moves to take preemptive measures against them.  If you are caught off-guard, you will take a lot of damage.

So if it is hard to dodge in this ship, how do you avoid being shot at?  Let’s talk about concealment.

Concealment

Surface Detection Range: 18 km

Air Detection Range: 11.7 km

With the worse concealment for a cruiser in the game, and one of the worse concealment values in general, Moskva’s concealment values rival battleships.  You get detected at the same range as the Yamato.  What’s even more ridiculous is that battleships can have a better concealment value if they build for stealth because they benefit more from Concealment Expert.  As a cruiser, you need at least Concealment Expert, if not also Concealment System Modification 1.

Again I will compare Moskva to her rivals.

Cruiser

Surface Detection

Air Detection

Max Stealth*

Can Stealth-Fire?

Des Moines

13.9 km

9.9 km

10.7 km

With GFCS 2/Plane

Zao

12.6 km

9.3 km

9.7 km

Yes

Hindenburg

16 km

10.6 km

12.3 km

With GFCS 2/Plane

Moskva

18 km

11.7 km

13.8 km

With GFCS 2

Minotaur

11.5 km

9.1 km

8.8 km

Yes

*With concealment system modification 1, concealment expert, and camouflage.

While it looks bad, consider that Moskva’s effective engagement range is pretty much her potential max range because of the high velocity, which is 22.5 km.  She can’t hide as well as other cruisers, but she isn’t like the Pensacola of Tier X either.

Man the Russians just love being noticed (Khabarovsk and 10 km detection kek).

I had to cut out the strategy and customization, I put it in a reply below.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe

Ok, let's pick up where the post cut out.  Formatting got real messed up, sorry.

Strategy

Obviously Moskva is not your average cruiser.  She has bad handling, long range, powerful guns, and bad concealment like a battleship.  However, like I said early, I would consider her a support battleship.  If you have played the Iowa or Missouri especially, the Moskva is not that all different.  She can tank, but just not for a long time, and exposing your broadside is a death sentence.

So, what are the things to remember when playing her?  I’ll list them out.  For some reason this bolded and I can't change it back.

• General Things

• Never be the closest ship to the enemy unless all of the battleships are dead or stupid.

• Ignore this at your own risk, likely you will be focused and die quickly.

• If you use islands, you can disregard this rule somewhat.

• Use AP on broadside battleship belts under 10 km to guarantee citadels.

• Above that range, it will likely shatter or bounce unless you aim for the superstructure.

• HE is usually better at longer ranges since you can always guarantee damage/fires.

• AP is situational against cruisers.

• Use it only when they are unaware of you (or stupid) and broadsiding.

• You can citadel them at any range, but keep in mind that any sort of angling will deflect the shells (unless you somehow manage to break overmatch mechanics).
      • If they angle, use HE, it will do good damage anyway.

• Situations/Scenarios

• If your battleships are pushing…

• Provide supporting fire, be within about 5 or so km of them.

• If you see a smoke screen in their path, use radar when you are close enough.
      • Try to bait fire from the enemy, alleviates damage to the battleships.

• Helping destroyers cap…

• Stay within 12 km of the cap.

• Shoot enemy destroyers, you can hit them with your high velocity.
      • If they smoke, radar them.
      • Once again, bait fire from the enemy so the destroyers can cap unimpeded.

• If enemy battleships are pushing…you have two options.

• Option One

• Ignore the first rule, wait behind an island under 10 km.

• BOW-ON
        • Be perpendicular to the battleship.
        • When he comes, use AP and nuke him with citadels.
        • Very situational, doesn’t always work, especially if there are other ships with that battleship(s).

• Option Two

• Run away

• Shoot HE and burn them
        • Try to force them to break off
        • Draw their attention so your teammates can shoot them.

• If you find a lone ship

• Unless it is a destroyer, or an aggressive angled ship, try to kill it.

• If it is one of the former, reverse and change course, stay BOW-ON.
      • If not, close the range so you can use AP on them, slow down once you start landing good damage.
      • Use HE to set them on fire when they are angled.
      • AP only if they are broadsiding and not a destroyer.

Customization

Upgrades:

Slot 1:

Main Armaments Modification 1is definitely the best choice, as your three turrets get incapacitated easily (I lost both of my front turrets to one shell from a Tirpitz one time).  You need to keep your turrets alive and running, or you will lose serious fighting capabilities, a bad situation for a fire-support cruiser.

Slot 2:

Here you have two choices to pick, either Aiming Systems Modification 1 or AA Guns Modification 2.

Aiming Systems Modification 1 I would advise since your accuracy is key for nuking people with AP at long range.  Your AA is decent anyway, and defensive fire will make it good enough to deter the enemy carrier.

If you want to play the ship like a battleship escort, then pick AA guns Modification 2.  It does boost the AA rating to a healthy 78, and gives the long and medium range AA guns a nice boost to their attack ranges.

Slot 3:

Once again here you have a choice, between Main Battery Modification 3 or Gun Fire Control System Modification 2.

I would definitely advise Main Battery Modification 3 since you need to maximize your DPM.  You already have the longest base range for a cruiser, so it’s not like you need to expose yourself dangerously close just to fire, unlike most of your Tier X contemporaries.

If 19.4 km range isn’t enough with these railguns, take Gun Fire Control System Modification 2.  You technically can stealth-fire with this if you are fully concealment built, but I don’t advise it since it leaves you far away from the battle and you also can’t use your radar to sweep areas for destroyers.

Slot 4:

The choice is pretty obvious, Damage Control Modification 1 is the way to go.  The engine and rudder are easily protected by the ship’s giant hull, so don’t worry about those getting incapacitated unless you get citadeled (which is usually your problem for being broadside).

Slot 5:

Once again the choice is obvious, take Steering Gears Modification 2 because you need to help turn her giant hull and do epic torpedobeat combos.  I mean, it’s literally as long as a battleship, despite having the second smallest turning circle for a cruiser at that tier, so it is hard to do aggressive mass transfers.

Slot 6:

Before update 0.5.12, Concealment System Modification 1 was the obvious choice, since that Yamato-sized detection made you the prime target for everyone.  Frankly, who wouldn’t shoot a cruiser the size of a battleship with cruiser armor?  It’s free damage, and that’s how people see things in this game.

Now, if you like the added maneuverability, take Steering Gears Modification 3 as it makes you stupidly agile for such a large ship.  Although if you are being cornered, no amount of maneuverability is going to save you, so concealment is still the better option usually.

Commander Skills: (OUTDATED AS OF PATCH 0.6.0)   Updated as of 1/25/17

Since the commander rework seems overwhelming to many people, I’m doing a more comprehensive analysis of skills.  Read away!

Bold indicates I recommend

One-Point Skill(s):

Honestly, for Endurance, both skills are pretty darn useful.  I grabbed Priority Target because I want to know who’s shooting me, and Moskva's modules are pretty well protected so Preventive Maintenance is only somewhat useful.  If you have Main Armaments Modification 1, you can probably get Priority Target and be fine. 

On the other hand, the one-point Attack skills are pretty trash.  I wouldn’t recommend any of them, considering Expert Loader is for those who load the wrong shell (and honestly what’s the harm in firing the wrong shell, it still does damage usually) and Aircraft Servicing Expert doesn’t even apply.

The one-point Support skills don’t apply, so don’t even bother.

Versatility skills also are a bit lacking at this level, Incoming Fire Alert is mediocre; I don’t recommend it.  Evasive Maneuver doesn’t apply.  However, the best of Versatility comes later.

Two-Point Skill(s):

In the Endurance field, you have High Alert which could be useful.  I'd recommend it, but Jack of All Trades is pretty much a nonspecific version of High Alert, which works better since you got a lot of consumables.

For Attack, they have failed you, again.

Support skills don’t apply (again).

Versatility brings something different to the table.  Last Stand is pretty useless, since the engine and rudder are hard to knock out unless you get citadeled.  Meanwhile, improved Last Chance (aka Adrenaline Rush) is somewhat useful, as it brings your reload at the apex of its effect to 8.3 seconds.  It is useful, but you gotta take damage for it to work, which is risky.

Three-Point Skill(s):

For the first time, the Endurance field doesn’t have a skill that is useful.  I mean, Basics of Survivability is OK for the shorter durations of damage, but it isn’t worth the three points now.  Survivability Expert is pretty darn useless, unless you think it is absolutely necessary to have an extra 3500 HP.

Attack skills are still useless  You don't have torpedoes, and Emergency Takeoff doesn’t even apply, unless you are waiting for a Russian carrier to appear (which won’t happen for a LONG time).

This time, the Support skills are pretty darn good.  Superintendent is an absolute necessity, you need the extra consumables.    You also have Basic Firing Training, which helps your AA a little, but not worth the three points.

So what else is useful at this level?  Well Versatility takes the spotlight with Demolition Expert, even if it is slightly nerfed.  This skill is the cruiser's lifeline at high tiers, as starting fires becomes the main source of damage usually,  I would recommend it on any cruiser or destroyer with HE.  You also have the good ol’ Vigilance, which now stacks with Hydroacoustic Search.  If you are smart about dodging in general, you shouldn’t need this skill, but it is probably the third-most useful skill at this level.

Four-Point Skill(s):

Endurance brings skills for battleships at this level, so you should avoid the skills here.

The Attack field finally brings something noteworthy to the table, at least with first impressions it does with Inertia Fuse for HE Shells.  Thing is, your HE penetrates most deck armor you will be facing, so there is no point to this actually.  Sorry, the Attack field tried to redeem itself, but failed, but Moskva's little sisters Dmitri Donskoi, Chapayev, Shchors, and Budyonny really loves this skill.  Needless to say, Air Supremacy is useless.

In the Support field, the skills just improve your AA really.  Advanced Firing Training is a possible option, since your AA does get significantly better, and could be your second-best option here.  Manual Fire Control for AA Armament might be worth the points.  Although you got only four AA mounts that benefit from this skill, they crank out 223 damage when affected.  If you really are paranoid about carrier attacks, get both, although I don't recommend the latter.  Just get Advanced Firing Training if you are going to choose between the two.

Once again, Versatility wins again with the best skills.  Concealment Expert fixes the Moskva's main problem, cause your concealment drops to 15.8 km, which is still bad but you need all of the concealment you can get.  Alternatively, you can take Radio Position Finding (also known as discount-radar, skill that shafts all of the destroyers and British cruisers, and WG PLZ REMOVE THIS SKILL IT MAKES BBs OP) which makes you invaluable to the team.  I’m not kidding, this skill has caused more controversy than Alabama ST, and for good reason.  Anyway, with this skill, you can lead your team and get a good idea of where enemies are.  Combine it with Vigilance and/or Hydroacoustic Search, you can piss off all the destroyers who torpedo you and rack up free credits and XP for spotting/dodging torpedoes.

Worth the Grind to Tier X?  I obviously would say yes because she is my only Tier X so far.  She does favor the meta on this server, but she also gets shot at a ton because she’s a big unarmored battleship that screams free damage to all of the Zaos and Khabarovsks and Yamatos.  However, based on how well she can do when played right, I would definitely consider her one of the best ships at Tier X.

Well, thanks for reading my guide!  If you have any questions, comments, or criticism, please put it below.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe

Good write up 

appericate it..this is my fav TX ship along with the khab

if you ever want to div up and run dual moskva shoot me a tell

Good write up 

appericate it..this is my fav TX ship along with the khab

if you ever want to div up and run dual moskva shoot me a tell

Sure!  I'll add you as a contact.

Posted Image

So the Moskva can pretty much citadel anything other than a Yamato or Montana starting at 10km. 

Posted Image

So the Moskva can pretty much citadel anything other than a Yamato or Montana starting at 10km. 

Not exactly, its not that simple.

You see, most ships don't have a completely perpendicular belt, otherwise things would all be happy and stuff.  Most ships have an inward armored belt, which flares downwards towards the hull.  The shell has to "normalize", or angle to penetrate perpendicularly to the armor, but it loses kinetic energy.  These values are for perfect penetrations, assuming no normalization happens.

Love my Moskva so far. Only issue is that I lose credits on "satisfactory" games, and I may just stop playing altogether because of it.

Love my Moskva so far. Only issue is that I lose credits on "satisfactory" games, and I may just stop playing altogether because of it.

To mitigate this, play a few rounds in any Tier 7 or lower ship and make up the difference there.  If you have a premium ship, equip the signal that gives you 20% extra credits, and you'll make enough profit there to have 3 or 4 bad rounds in Moskva.

To mitigate this, play a few rounds in any Tier 7 or lower ship and make up the difference there.  If you have a premium ship, equip the signal that gives you 20% extra credits, and you'll make enough profit there to have 3 or 4 bad rounds in Moskva.

Alternatively, use the permanent camouflage.

Great guide. I don't have the Moskva yet but I sure do enjoy shooting at them! They're deadly in the right hands. 

Not exactly, its not that simple.

You see, most ships don't have a completely perpendicular belt, otherwise things would all be happy and stuff.  Most ships have an inward armored belt, which flares downwards towards the hull.  The shell has to "normalize", or angle to penetrate perpendicularly to the armor, but it loses kinetic energy.  These values are for perfect penetrations, assuming no normalization happens.

But it has a better chance of doing so, considering the fact that other ships don't have as much pen as the Moskva.

But it has a better chance of doing so, considering the fact that other ships don't have as much pen as the Moskva.

That's what you may think, but remember Moskva does not have any special penetration angles, unlike the U.S. or the British cruisers.  Despite the fact Des Moines has much less penetration than Moskva, she is much better at penetrating because of the special overmatch angles.  You can be angled to a Moskva and bounce, but that same angle against a Des Moines will usually penetrate anyway.

Posted Image

I've citadeled Yamis at max range, but not often.

I've citadeled Yamis at max range, but not often.

Yamato's armor has been properly modeled since the armor model viewer was introduced.  Before then, it was a giant box like Iowa or Montana.

Interesting write up. I'm halfway through the Donskoi grind. I don't see too many Moskva's in game, whereas I see lots of Des Moines, Minotaur's, and Hindy's and a sprinkling of Zao's. There must be a reason...

Interesting write up. I'm halfway through the Donskoi grind. I don't see too many Moskva's in game, whereas I see lots of Des Moines, Minotaur's, and Hindy's and a sprinkling of Zao's. There must be a reason...

Most people play Russian cruisers like medium-range fighters, not long-range snipers as they should be.

When you compare Moskva and Hindy, you can clearly see the favoritism for Russian ship :fishpalm:

So much for German's "superior AP" meta.

Completed the grind to Moskva and WOW!  What a firestarter. 4 matches in and I'm undefeated. 

When you compare Moskva and Hindy, you can clearly see the favoritism for Russian ship :fishpalm:

German AP does have its advantages.  For one, it has a steeper arc which allows for better penetration angles.  Sure Russian AP blows through a crap ton more armor, but that doesn't matter if it bounces when the target is angled like 10 degrees.

Another thing, Moskva's AP is so powerful sometimes it will blow straight through a citadel without exploding.  Yep, those shells overpenetrate citadels because they move so fast.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Germans never had outright-superior AP.  The USN's better pen angles mean they can damage things more reliably with their AP - which is far more useful than doing 20% extra damage one of those few times you find something perfectly-broadside in a German cruiser.

Edited by TenguBlade