Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Chobittsu

Yet Another Rogue One Thread - A Squid Review

10 comments in this topic

[SOUP]
Members
9,391 posts

This is the Star Wars story that I craved since my introduction to the franchise. Too much of Star Wars is just The Skywalker Family Soap Opera or tales of those around them. I loved that this film only had cameos from those main characters that actually needed to be there, however...

Except for R2-D2 and C-3PO's rather out of place and pointless cameos, I feel like they should have appeared at the end walking the corridors of the Tantive IV. Having them just pop up out of nowhere and then never show up again was pretty jarring.

Vader's appearances also lined up well with the story. He was in the parts that made sense for him to be in.
Bail Organa surprised the hell outta me, I didn't expect to see him at all but his appearance really helped link the prequels and original films together.
Gold and Red leader's cameos too were well played with the altered cut footage from IV, and it's nice to finally have an answer to why Luke was assigned to the slot of Red 5, poor bastard.
Carrie Fisher's face on screen (even CG) so soon after her death is a bit sad, and we'll have to relive this moment again when VIII comes out, but she left on a high-note, and that's all any actress can ask for.
And lastly we come to Tarkin, my favourite character of the franchise. I'm an Imperial, through and through. Once I have the income for it I'll be going to conventions as either a Stormtrooper, Imperial Officer or a TIE Pilot (in order based on rarity of costumes). So seeing my commander-in-chief alive again after years of his actor having been long dead brought a bit of a tear to my eye. His CG counterpart in Rebels is fine, but it's not Peter Cushing. And as a fan of both the actor and the character he plays, seeing them both return was an excellent cherry on top for my cinematic experience this evening. Although if you went into the film knowing Peter Cushing hadn't returned from the grave, sure you could easily tell that you were looking at a CG puppet painted over another actor. But if you went in not knowing any of this filming witchcraft, you could have never guessed that both Tarkin and Leia were CG.
And I think that impressed me the most.

Aside from that, the story was rock solid, the effects were never in question since it was a Star Wars film but it was still well made. Scripting was good, the ending led into Episode IV rather well. And, a feat not many films have achieved, I actually felt genuine emotion when a character died. Not even Game of Thrones did that with a full season of getting to know Ed Stark, or three seasons for Robb Stark.
It takes a lot to make me feel this way about a film, I only just got home from seeing Rogue One so I would have to spend some time deep in thought on it, so I couldn't tell you what was the real driving force behind it.

But cutting past the hype, yes, it's a fantastic film.

Beta Testers
62 posts
1,691 battles

This is the Star Wars story that I craved since my introduction to the franchise. Too much of Star Wars is just The Skywalker Family Soap Opera or tales of those around them. I loved that this film only had cameos from those main characters that actually needed to be there, however...

Except for R2-D2 and C-3PO's rather out of place and pointless cameos, I feel like they should have appeared at the end walking the corridors of the Tantive IV. Having them just pop up out of nowhere and then never show up again was pretty jarring.

Vader's appearances also lined up well with the story. He was in the parts that made sense for him to be in.
Bail Organa surprised the hell outta me, I didn't expect to see him at all but his appearance really helped link the prequels and original films together.
Gold and Red leader's cameos too were well played with the altered cut footage from IV, and it's nice to finally have an answer to why Luke was assigned to the slot of Red 5, poor bastard.
Carrie Fisher's face on screen (even CG) so soon after her death is a bit sad, and we'll have to relive this moment again when VIII comes out, but she left on a high-note, and that's all any actress can ask for.
And lastly we come to Tarkin, my favourite character of the franchise. I'm an Imperial, through and through. Once I have the income for it I'll be going to conventions as either a Stormtrooper, Imperial Officer or a TIE Pilot (in order based on rarity of costumes). So seeing my commander-in-chief alive again after years of his actor having been long dead brought a bit of a tear to my eye. His CG counterpart in Rebels is fine, but it's not Peter Cushing. And as a fan of both the actor and the character he plays, seeing them both return was an excellent cherry on top for my cinematic experience this evening. Although if you went into the film knowing Peter Cushing hadn't returned from the grave, sure you could easily tell that you were looking at a CG puppet painted over another actor. But if you went in not knowing any of this filming witchcraft, you could have never guessed that both Tarkin and Leia were CG.
And I think that impressed me the most.

Aside from that, the story was rock solid, the effects were never in question since it was a Star Wars film but it was still well made. Scripting was good, the ending led into Episode IV rather well. And, a feat not many films have achieved, I actually felt genuine emotion when a character died. Not even Game of Thrones did that with a full season of getting to know Ed Stark, or three seasons for Robb Stark.
It takes a lot to make me feel this way about a film, I only just got home from seeing Rogue One so I would have to spend some time deep in thought on it, so I couldn't tell you what was the real driving force behind it.

But cutting past the hype, yes, it's a fantastic film.

I just saw it today. I thought it was very good as well.

But, I didn't feel any ties to any of the characters in the movie (If you think about it, they have to die). I thought Han's death was more emotional than any deaths in this movie, but to each their own.

And the CG faces were very noticeable, imo.

The droids cameo was out of place.

I also thought Bail's appearance was surprising but out of line with the original episodes as his character was never a part of them. "Hey I have to go back to tell my people to prepare for war. See you never again."

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Hmm... Leia's CGI was quite good. Tarkin was pretty easily to tell, for me at least. Then again, he was such a consistent character for the whole movie, it's impressive they did as much as they, well, did.

[SOUP]
Members
9,391 posts

I also thought Bail's appearance was surprising but out of line with the original episodes as his character was never a part of them. "Hey I have to go back to tell my people to prepare for war. See you never again."

Not really, it isn't the first time an actor has bridged a gap between trilogies. Ian McDiarmid was Palpatine in the prequels and in Return of the Jedi (plus the edited version of Empire Strikes Back, a minor change that I can't blame Lucas for, it helps with the continuity. Hayden Christensen added at the end as a Force Ghost on the other hand... uhggg... win some, lose some.)

Bail's cameo didn't take away from the story at all in my opinion and helped give a more logical reason for Leia to be present, tagging along with her father rather than going to lead the strike by herself. She was barely my age at the time and I can barely get a waiter to listen to my orders, how do you expect a whole fleet to listen to her?

Beta Testers
1,313 posts
12,709 battles

Haven't seen it yet.....mainly because I was so disgusted in the last film I've been avoiding the franchise. 

The best thing the franchise can do is stay away from the old characters and build new ones. Watching Harrison Ford run away from CGI monsters was so utterly effing campy and lame it made Jar-Jar Binks look like Gollum from Lord of The Rings.

Once I'm convinced this film stands on it's own characters I'll watch it.

[SOUP]
Members
9,391 posts

Once I'm convinced this film stands on it's own characters I'll watch it.

Well you'll never know that unless you see it.

The re-used characters only have small roles, like Mon Mothma and Bail Organa, plus a few assorted cameos of other characters you'd recognise.

The only ones that were out of place were

C-3PO and R2-D2

they just popped up, said a line, and that was it. Didn't contribute to the story at all.

The film focuses on it's characters and does it well. But if you're going to sit there and gripe with your nostalgia goggles on, then you might as well just watch the original films if you don't want a taste of something new and fresh to the franchise

[FU8AR]
Alpha Tester
608 posts
16,010 battles

If C3PO and R2 were on Tantive IV as the plans were being rushed to here, it would have made sense, and establish that the plans were moved from the Mon Calamari ship to the frigate.

Not many people caught that the two thugs that harassed Luke and Obi Wan sliced up on Tattoine were in Jhedda.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

If C3PO and R2 were on Tantive IV as the plans were being rushed to here, it would have made sense, and establish that the plans were moved from the Mon Calamari ship to the frigate.

Not many people caught that the two thugs that harassed Luke and Obi Wan sliced up on Tattoine were in Jhedda.

Which left me to wonder how they got to Tattoine so fast...

[SOUP]
Members
9,391 posts

Which left me to wonder how they got to Tattoine so fast...

I thought that too when I saw them. Best I can figure is they hopped a transport the moment the Destroyer left the city, cause Yey! Freedom!

Mos Eisley makes sense though as their destination, it's a spaceport

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

I thought that too when I saw them. Best I can figure is they hopped a transport the moment the Destroyer left the city, cause Yey! Freedom!

Mos Eisley makes sense though as their destination, it's a spaceport

And a hive of scum and villainy!

Sign in to follow this