Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Manual secondaries really worth it?

39 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
7,136 posts
12,568 battles

Been debating whether to respec my KMS BB captain for DE over manual secondaries, since I don't get to work them out too often, but played her again earlier and got within range. Found to my interest that prolonged exposure generally sets fires or small bits of damage to the victim, and psychological warfare bit tends to force CA/DD to use their torps sooner. Partly thanks to this skill pulled a kraken/confederate/HC earlier and did at least 14K damage from secondaries alone.

I just research freddy--credits are low, so gonna burn through premium today and tomorrow--and it seems I oughta maintain secondary spec in this line, give anyone that gets too close a shower they don't want to be take.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

As folks told me in my thread about FDG and evenually the GK... it depends on how you wanna play. I tend to push to the front more than most folks... so the secondaries were my first choice for the FDG... also because the commander got moved up from the Bismarck... so I saved on the dubloon costs to retrain the commander. Funny on the GK... I moved away from the secondaries as a commander skill and on the ship module build as "currently" most ships tend to stay back from the GK because of the imagined potential range. Make sense? 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

Been debating whether to respec my KMS BB captain for DE over manual secondaries, since I don't get to work them out too often, but played her again earlier and got within range. Found to my interest that prolonged exposure generally sets fires or small bits of damage to the victim, and psychological warfare bit tends to force CA/DD to use their torps sooner. Partly thanks to this skill pulled a kraken/confederate/HC earlier and did at least 14K damage from secondaries alone.

I just research freddy--credits are low, so gonna burn through premium today and tomorrow--and it seems I oughta maintain secondary spec in this line, give anyone that gets too close a shower they don't want to be take.

Are you saying you want to drop Manual Control of Secondaries and in its place, use Demo Expert? If so, 2 things to consider.

1. The impact you saw from your secondaries will go down a lot when you lose Man Control Secondaries because it reduces dispersion by 60%. This means when you take that skill off your captain, your secondary battery inaccuracy will more than double. That's going to mean you score a lot fewer hits and start a low fewer fires.

2. Demo Expert doesn't change fire change on secondary battery guns, so you won't gain anything except 3% more fire chance on main battery guns. If you want demonstration, I can link you screen shots of my Tirpitz and her secondary guns with and without a DE trained captain.

If I get what you're OP said, you are asking if you should make your secondaries less than half as accurate as they are in order to gain nothing after a few matches where your secondaries worked really well. In that case, I would emphatically advise against it.

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

Are you saying you want to drop Manual Control of Secondaries and in its place, use Demo Expert? If so, 2 things to consider.

1. The impact you saw from your secondaries will go down a lot when you lose use Man Control Secondaries because it reduces dispersion by 60%. This means when you take that skill off your captain, your secondary battery inaccuracy will more than double. That's going to mean you score a lot fewer hits and start a low fewer fires.

2. Demo Expert doesn't change fire change on secondary battery guns, so you won't gain anything except 3% more fire chance on main battery guns. If you want demonstration, I can link you screen shots of my Tirpitz and her secondary guns with and without a DE trained captain.

If I get what you're OP said, you are asking if you should make your secondaries less than half as accurate as they are in order to gain nothing after a few matches where your secondaries worked really well. In that case, I would emphatically advise against it.

just correctly a typo error :P

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,171 posts
10,840 battles

On all IJN and KM BBs from tier 7 on -- yes, they are worth it.

[A-D-F]
Members
7,876 posts
43,376 battles

Bismarck, Freddie and up? Yes indeed. Manual secondaries!

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,598 posts
7,430 battles

Scharnhorst + manual secondaries = salty dd tears. 

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

Manual secondaries are worth it if you plan to push.

If you plan to stay at range...well then why did you go with KM BB line in the first place? ;)

• Cool 1

Members
158 posts
731 battles

Manual Secs is allways the way to go for KMS and IJN BBs, specially at higher tiers unless you want to run Yamato stealth but I find that less strong than Yamato with manual Secondaries

[FG]
Members
566 posts
5,003 battles

Scharnhorst, Bismarck and the Freddy are all excellent with Manual Secondaries. 

Gneisenau and Kurfurst are less so due to using the 128s (which have the low fire chance). You certainly can still run MS on those ships, though an AA build on the Gneis is insane and the Kurfurst is one of the few battleships a concealment build might be really worth it. Depends how you play them really.

[WISCO]
[WISCO]
Members
230 posts
8,295 battles

How many ships can you target with manual secondaries?  I thought you were limited to one that and the fact you had to select the target always stopped me from doing it and going with concealment. 

Edited by Jonesyrules15

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

How many ships can you target with manual secondaries?

Yeah, it's just one, but 60% reduction in dispersion is well worth it. But of course, you have to be more involved in the process, that's why they are called "Manual". At least you don't have to aim manually :teethhappy:

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

Demo expert? yeah no, definitely not for that. Gnei and Scharn have similar/same secondaries to a point and one has my future Bismarck captain with manual secondaries, the other does not due to captain level. Yes, as long I remember to click a target, they are that little more accurate. But sometimes it has proven beneficial that my guns automatically open fire, even if a little less accurately, at max ranges and at targets on both sides of the ship. Because I now with how aggressive I can/will play that (for those that know the 1970's Battlestar Galactica will understand what I mean here) I will commonly pull the "Pegasus last stand" maneuver.

Manual secondaries are good to have, but if you wanted to save the points for other skills like Vigilance/Superintendent and a couple other lower tier skills, you won't shred things the same with secondaries, but can still cause some damage. Really it's down to the player. My tendency to have ships on both sides leans me a little more towards passing on it in the future so while I may not have the same accuracy, I'm attacking two targets, one on each side. 

[FG]
Members
566 posts
5,003 battles

How many ships can you target with manual secondaries?  I thought you were limited to one that and the fact you had to select the target always stopped me from doing it and going with concealment. 

Target secondaries on one target, use main guns on the other. Having your secondaries accurately shoot at one target is better than inaccurately at two. 

[WISCO]
[WISCO]
Members
230 posts
8,295 battles

Target secondaries on one target, use main guns on the other. Having your secondaries accurately shoot at one target is better than inaccurately at two. 

Never really thought of it that way.  Perhaps I should give it a shot as I tend to push in my BBs

[FG]
Members
566 posts
5,003 battles

Never really thought of it that way.  Perhaps I should give it a shot as I tend to push in my BBs

It is definitely worth at least trying out on the German BBs. If nothing else it is a lot of fun. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,638 battles

My personal feelings are that manual secondaries are just not worth it, even on KM BB.

For every time you wreck an enemy with them you'll have two times where it screws you over because you can't engage multiple targets with it.

YMMV.

Members
319 posts
5,590 battles

At the time, I ran manual AA and AFT on my Gneis, it was an AA Shredder and respectable against any surface target within 8km.

Since moved that Captain up to the Biz, and he's a full secondary guy now......combine that with BFT, i think it is, which improves reload time, and flags to improve range, it's definitely something to deal with.

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

Hell yes Manual Secondaries are worth it. When I got it on my IJN captain for my Izumo way back when, I remember the difference was huge. Even just when my Yamato captain had to get retrained, there is a very noticeable difference in secondary performance, and I beleive someone (maybe Dseehafer) did secondaries experiment with it in a test lobby.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

I couldn't imagine the Bismark without a 2nd build. Even if the DD's have grown wary of you, the simple fact that they have to keep range is a huge advantage in itself.

[SOFW]
Members
1,445 posts
7,897 battles

Bismark Manly Build is the only way to go. And on the plus side, it pours easy sauce all over several of the campaign tasks. Get 200 hits in one battle??? Select target and engage in acts of piracy. The hits will add up faster than my toaster computer can add up the ribbons. Accumulate 500 hits? Get Bizzy...

Matt

Sign in to follow this