You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SloppyJ0e

Tier 2 Captain Skill(s)

Tier 2 Captain Skill for RNCL  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which T2 Captain Skill(s) would you pick?

• Expert Marksman
    • Torpedo Armament Expertise
    • Fire Prevention
    • Incoming Fire Alert
    • Last Stand
    • I choose at least 2 skills from this tier (please explain below which you chose and why)

17 comments in this topic

[Y0L0K]
Members
1,041 posts
13,489 battles

I'm trying to determine which skill or skills to acquire in the 2nd tier for captain skills.  Any suggestions and explanations why you chose your respective skill are welcome!  Thanks.

[BLNCE]
Members
569 posts
29,088 battles

It depends on the ship class.  For a DD I would pick "Torpedo Armament Expert" and possibly "Last Stand".  For a BB I would definitely pick "Expert Marksman".  So... what ship class are we talking about?

[Y0L0K]
Members
1,041 posts
13,489 battles

It depends on the ship that you are using the captain on, there is no one that fits for all ships.

I thought that since this poll was under the RNCL subforum that it would be somewhat self-explanatory.  However, I will say that I'm conflicted on captain skills for Tier 8+.  I'm currently grinding through the Eddy.

Members
629 posts
2,397 battles

Which line are you going? Without specifying almost all of them could be valid.

[BLNCE]
Members
569 posts
29,088 battles

Don't have the Eddy, but if the guns rotate fast enough for you, and if the torps re-arm fast enough for you (does it even have torps?), then I would get "Last Stand".  I haven't found Incoming Fire Alert or Fire Prevention to be of much or any use.

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

For Eddy specifically EM is probably a good choice, but if you want to move that captain up the line LS looks good (Mino has silly fast traverse).

[Y0L0K]
Members
1,041 posts
13,489 battles

For Eddy specifically EM is probably a good choice, but if you want to move that captain up the line LS looks good (Mino has silly fast traverse).

Ok cool.  I was just wondering if it was a good idea to keep LS or respec for Torpedo Armaments because I saw Notser took TA over EM or LS.  

[NDA]
Alpha Tester
1,658 posts
6,794 battles

A DD without last stand is probably going to regret it.  Also the turrets are already generally fast, the extra few seconds on torpedo reloads don't matter that much, and none of the other skills are that beneficial.  Last Stand for DDs unless there are extremely good reasons to do anything else.

Cruisers - i tend toward expert marksmanship in nearly every case, because i fight in close proximity to destroyers and not having my guns on target means i'm dead.  Last stand doesn't matter much - engine damage is infrequent.  Torpedo reloads don't matter - you rarely fire them if you have them at all.  Incoming fire is perhaps a personal choice.  For me, i always expect to be shot at if i'm spotted at all and i make myself a difficult target to hit at all times - knowing that shells are coming in won't change what i'm doing, so why have it?  Fires aren't often the cause of my demise as a cruiser, so EM it is.

Battleships - Last stand, no.  Torpedus not applicable (except rarely and in those cases just no), incoming fire lel no.  Fire prevention?  Maybe.. though as i fight at closer ranges most often even in BBs i'm still wanting my turrets on target.  The small reduction in fire chance is compelling - fires are maddening to a BB - but i typically take EM here too.  

CVs - torpedo armament expertise every time because it improves torp plane reload.  If i don't have torp planes, well, fire reduction then cause nothing else matters.

You need to think of how you play and what ship you're talking about before you can answer this question for each specific ship.  There are exceptions to even these guidelines of my own, as i don't play each and every ship the same way.  Pick things that suit your strengths for that particular ship.

[ASHIP]
Members
5,454 posts
12,925 battles

I thought that since this poll was under the RNCL subforum that it would be somewhat self-explanatory.  However, I will say that I'm conflicted on captain skills for Tier 8+.  I'm currently grinding through the Eddy.

Well, in his defence, he may have just opened it from the '10 recent threads' sidebar, which doesn't require going into subforums.

EM can help, but when you have minotaur it is useless. Minotaur doesn't really benefit from much in 2, since the whole point is to never be shot at(IFA) turrets turn fast already (EM) fire prevention is useless etc. TAE is about as much as you need to simply progress to the 3s imo.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

I don't think tier 2 skills have much useful stuff for RN cruisers. I'd pick either last stand or expert marksmen, depending on what ship you play. Torpedoes are situational, so I wouldn't pick torp skills.

Members
2,136 posts
5,764 battles

Well, I have my Caledon's captains having either Last Stand or Torpedo Armament Expertise. I would probably choose EM for the higher-tiered ships though.

[Y0L0K]
Members
1,041 posts
13,489 battles

Thanks to all who have responded!  It's hard to determine which Tier 2 skill to pick up when I fully plan on taking this captain all the way to T10 Minotaur.  Right now, I'm about 1/3 through the grind to Neptune and I don't really see which skill would stand out as MOST beneficial for the Minotaur..eventually.  I know EM is great for pretty much all the RNCLs all way up to Minotaur, but once there....EM is wasted.  I just would like a plan for my captain for the end-game or end result without having to spend more doubloons on retraining.

Members
34 posts
9,515 battles

torpedo armament and last stand are viable (your body is a DD with citadel). Expert marksman is useless in CLs you have a good turret tranverse speed. Other two skills I dont like that and dont use for nothing.