Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
sbcptnitro

Call me stupid and tell me not to do it...

26 comments in this topic

Members
2,709 posts
17,651 battles

Well, here's your chance. 

Please dissuade me from getting a Saipan.

I've done a lot in this game. Currently, I'm not specifically grinding to anything, and I find myself sitting on 12k dubs, 550k Free XP and more credits than I could spend on 10 T-X ships (I currently have 6 of them already). 

For some reason, I've wanted the Saipan for a while, but I absolutely suck at CV play. Now I'm contemplating getting it again.

Please tell me I'm stupid for considering this.

I have no doubt the first several responses will simply be "You're stupid." or "your stupid" from the grammatically challenged.

Edited by sbcptnitro

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

If you suck at CV, stay OUT OF CVs!!!!

The salt in game will be immense.

That said, I'm very close to buying one myself. It looks like a hoot.

• Cool 1

Members
1,369 posts
3,667 battles

Its a fun ship.  Get one, wish i had more time to play mine, but i have alot of other ships im focused on.

[C-I-B]
Alpha Tester
260 posts
2,996 battles

Noooooo do it! CVs are the best fun you will ever have. The rage of the other team has no limit.:teethhappy:

Besides I always need new people to farm easy kills from in my strike Ranger :trollface:

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,675 battles

Planes, they are sick. I cannot hit Destroyers. Battleships I hit it very much. Destroyers ... planes are afraid. I ask Saipan to come, take fear from planes. I offer him cigar, rum. Saipan will come.

• Cool 2

Members
501 posts
12,751 battles

i'd at least wait till the CV rework to get ANY cvs (we don't know what changes will actually take place when WG rework cvs so buying it now just to have the entire gameplay of it change might not be wise)

[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,044 posts

Get it and piss everyone off by running the 3/1.  Dive bombers knocking 3/4 health off DD if not completely wiping them out.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,168 posts
15,765 battles

i'd at least wait till the CV rework to get ANY cvs (we don't know what changes will actually take place when WG rework cvs so buying it now just to have the entire gameplay of it change might not be wise)

Right now the "rework" is the CV UI which I think will help but I also think that more work on the class will be needed.

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

I'm a reasonably competent player, or at least I know enough to know when I'm screwing up and usually why, but I suck at carriers and don't find them all that much fun.  As a non-carrier player I'd recommend against playing a tier 7 carrier if you don't already have lots of experience under your belt.  Carriers can be a big boon for the team when their captains know what they're doing, but there's very little that's more useless than a bad carrier player who is all of a sudden in a tier 7-9 match against a team with a captain who knows port from starboard.  You're going to catch heat since you guarantee that the other team will have a carrier and that can be really frustrating for your teammates if they don't feel like they're getting the necessary air support.

On the other hand, if you're planning on learning it and getting better then it's not a bad carrier, though it's pretty expensive IMO, it's just somewhat unique due to its loadout so you will want to keep it on the shelf until you're sure you understand the playstyle and it won't be the same as other US carriers...

Members
3,594 posts
7,435 battles

If your good with CV - then ok. but otherwise SAVE your money for something else thats going to popup in the future. I had a few CV's but now I only keep one now just in case.  I am not that good enough to keep four so now I'm down to one. 

Members
2,709 posts
17,651 battles

Planes, they are sick. I cannot hit Destroyers. Battleships I hit it very much. Destroyers ... planes are afraid. I ask Saipan to come, take fear from planes. I offer him cigar, rum. Saipan will come.

I see what you did there :)

Get it and piss everyone off by running the 3/1.  Dive bombers knocking 3/4 health off DD if not completely wiping them out.

This is exactly why I want to get one!

Members
1,870 posts
20,633 battles

With that much free XP why not grind out another 200K for the Missouri. That would give you something to do until WoWS gets their act together with the CVs.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

Buy her... but take her out to Coop dinners only until the two of you really know how to work together. 

[K0]
Members
1,758 posts
10,159 battles

Do what you want with your money, but I don't recommend using her until you've got a good idea of how CVs in general handle. Play with the non-premium CVs for awhile first.

Members
3,256 posts
4,322 battles

You only need to be good with one skill and the rest you can fake it till you make it. And that skill is strafe, show you are 1/2 competent and you will scare off everyone short of a as ranger and as skilled saipan... Maybe a few players that would have gone after you no matter what.

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

Might wait till the weekend as they may do some doubloons discounts on ships if the calendar preview description makes sense.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,023 posts
5,027 battles

I'd suggest, like some other people, waiting until the WoWS Developers put in this new "Rework," and then trying the Langley or Hosho to see how you like the new mechanics. If you like CV play after the update, then follow your dreams and get the Saipan. If you don't like the post-rework CV mechanics, then at least you haven't spent any money on it.

And keep at it. Keep trying CV play. I've had 159 battles in Cruisers, and I've only recently started to "Get Gud" in them.

follow_your_dreams____by_cryingsoulgirl-

Edited by Raze_3

[OPGS]
Members
608 posts
4,038 battles

This is a saipan game where I do 97k dmg

RTlYR0t.jpg

This is a Leander game where I do 104k dmg

nHC1hw3.jpg

Tier 6 ship that is not considered that good can outdamage the saipan 1 tier higher. Therefore, on the basis of these irrefutable evidences, the saipan is trash and you shouldn't get it

...:trollface:

Members
2,688 posts
4,560 battles

Do eeettttt.   The Saipan features the best of both worlds:  the only USN CV with two torpedo squadrons or a super accurate very damaging large bomber squadron.  You also get fighters in its 'strike' configuration and you only give up one of your fighter squadrons for it.  

Members
2,709 posts
17,651 battles

Well, the New Year's dubloon discount pushed me over the edge.

Got the Saipan, now I just have to learn how to play it.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,023 posts
5,027 battles

Well, the New Year's dubloon discount pushed me over the edge.

Got the Saipan, now I just have to learn how to play it.

Ok, I'll be seeing you in the game then!

Sign in to follow this