Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
PTX_007_03C

New heir of the Minekaze empire

23 comments in this topic

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

Last week I finally moved on from the Kaminakaze (btw goodbye Minekaze, even though I like to believe that your spirit will always be with us).

That being the case the search of a new vessel to her soul has started.

The closer I got of a sucessor is the Shiratsuyu so far. Good concealment, kinda fast 8km torps (with torpedo acceleration), torp reload boost which is a neat addition to make up for the terrible speed. Most surprising thing is that her guns actually work when you are shooting at non-BB things.

Now here is the thing, how is the Akatsuki compared to that for a Minekaze style gameplay (stealth sniper/ninja ambusher)? The speed seems interesting but the concealment could be a bother, I can't tell  if she's worth the investment just by looking at the stats. Opinions on the new Kagero are welcome as well even though I don't have much hopes for this one.

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

There never was a "Minekaze Empire" after open beta. Those tiers always have, are, and will be, the domain of Gremyashchy.

Edited by goldeagle1123

[MAUS]
Members
13,698 posts

The Shiratsuyu is a very fun vessel.  She doesn't quite replicate the fun and frantic torpedo-spamming game play of the Minekaze  (her reload is just too long).  But she has her own charms which makes her stand out as a wonderful vessel (poi).  THe Akatsuki has the same problems as the Fubuki at tier 6 -- she's a big destroyer for her tier with not-amazing concealment. 

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,626 posts
3,982 battles

Kagero imo is really not that fun.  You can go all game and not hit a single torp nowadays.  

Yugumo and Kag have 49% or under rates.  

I've basically stopped bothering.  I win games now where i do crap 20k gun dmg and every salvo of torps is evaded.  

[FAE]
Members
2,626 posts
3,982 battles

The Shiratsuyu is a very fun vessel.  She doesn't quite replicate the fun and frantic torpedo-spamming game play of the Minekaze  (her reload is just too long).  But she has her own charms which makes her stand out as a wonderful vessel (poi).  THe Akatsuki has the same problems as the Fubuki at tier 6 -- she's a big destroyer for her tier with not-amazing concealment. 

I agree.  Her reload takes a long time.  And shes really really slow, which means you really have to work hard for that 1.5km zone of torp fun.  I put a speed flag on her, and survivability expert.  helps a lot. 

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

Kagero imo is really not that fun.  You can go all game and not hit a single torp nowadays.  

Yugumo and Kag have 49% or under rates.  

I've basically stopped bothering.  I win games now where i do crap 20k gun dmg and every salvo of torps is evaded.  

I do well in the Kagero, but that's only because I'm a pretty good player. The whole "IJN DD split" really just crippled the already weak IJN DD line, save for the addition of the Akizuki. Kagero and Yugumo are both garbage. 

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

There never was a "Minekaze Empire" after open beta. Those tiers always have, are, and will be, the domain of Gremyashchy.

Emperors are nothing but humans. Deities like the Gremy are just beyond humanity's reach. 

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

Emperors are nothing but humans. Deities like the Gremy are just beyond humanity's reach. 

And until the Christmas events, Gremys were rare enough that you could grind out a whole line and never see one.

For good reason.  Right now my Gremy average damage is sitting at 50% more than what I pull in a Khabarovsk.  The #1 and #2 ships for average damage for me.

Edited by Grizley

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

The closest I can think of to a spiritual successor to CBT Minekaze would be Fubuki.  Trash guns with powerful, long-range torpedoes - once upgraded - mounted in 3 launchers.  Unlike Minekaze which had 7km stock and 10km upgraded torpedoes...

Honestly, I doubt that CBT Minekaze will ever see a true spiritual successor.

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

The closest I can think of to a spiritual successor to CBT Minekaze would be Fubuki.  Trash guns with powerful, long-range torpedoes - once upgraded - mounted in 3 launchers.  Unlike Minekaze which had 7km stock and 10km upgraded torpedoes...

Honestly, I doubt that CBT Minekaze will ever see a true spiritual successor.

Fubuki didn't worked for me. As mentioned here, the thing is big, concealment is meh, it's slow and for some reason her guns aren't as effective as the ones from Shiratsu (btw, the Minekaze only had crazy fast 7km torps).

The good thing about the Shiratsu is that you can use the torpedo boost consumable to somewhat emulate the low reload times of the Minekaze in a tough situation.

Edited by ShiroDNL

[ICOP]
Members
1,079 posts
4,783 battles

Akatsuki would be the one with the closest configuration to the Minekaze, with the Fubuki coming in second.

The Shiratsu only saving grace is her torpedo reload consumable and for it to be of any use you need the premium version otherwise the cool down on Akatsuki's torpedoes will bear more launches as the game progresses and with more flexible options.

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

RIP Ninjamurderboat.

Isokaze was more OP though.

Kami and Fujin will carry the torch.

Also Wakatake is pretty freaking great if you don't mind playing T3. Pretty sure she is essentially unchanged, could be wrong though...

Edited by slak__

Beta Testers
1,180 posts
7,853 battles

Meh. My Fuujin has always been my fix when I want some Minekaze like gameplay. The Shiratsuyu torp reload is just too slow and the spotting distance on the torps too bad.

Members
736 posts
11,428 battles

Well, I played a very large bucket full of games in the Minekaze, may she Rest In Peace. I finally settled on the Yugumo.  With the minimum of a 15 point captain and all the ship upgrades it is the closest thing to the old Minekaze, may peace be upon her, that I could find.  On the plus side she has a detection range of 5.5 km an option for very fast torpedoes and very usable guns that can invisibly fire.  You can also get the torpedo reload consumable that reloads the torpedoes in 30 seconds. Unfortunately unlike the queen of the tier five overpowered torpedo kill, she is kind of a slow ship.  The problem with playing the tier seven and eight ships is that you get up tiered against very powerful destroyers and radar and the battleship cheaters all have the WASD hack. 

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

The empire is collapsed and destroyed as heavenly ordained.  The Kingdom of Akatsuki now rises!

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Fubuki didn't worked for me. As mentioned here, the thing is big, concealment is meh, it's slow and for some reason her guns aren't as effective as the ones from Shiratsu (btw, the Minekaze only had crazy fast 7km torps).

The good thing about the Shiratsu is that you can use the torpedo boost consumable to somewhat emulate the low reload times of the Minekaze in a tough situation.

You obviously weren't here when Minekaze had superior torpedoes to Mutsuki in CBT and early OBT.  They had lower detection range, higher speed, and faster reload than Mutsuki's Type 8s, in exchange for lower alpha.  Not like that alpha mattered, the Type 8 was the only IJN torpedo that didn't get a detection range nerf when the line as a whole got the nerf bat last year; let the significance of that sink in.

Edited by TenguBlade

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

You obviously weren't here when Minekaze had superior torpedoes to Mutsuki in CBT and early OBT.  They had lower detection range, higher speed, and faster reload than Mutsuki's Type 8s, in exchange for lower alpha.  Not like that alpha mattered, the Type 8 was the only IJN torpedo that didn't get a detection range nerf when the line as a whole got the nerf bat last year; let the significance of that sink in.

But this has no significance for the discussion at all. I'm searching for a ship that can perform as well as Minekaze's previous iteration since I considered it a very strong and fun ship to play with.

I don't have any reasons to care about how the Minekaze used to be over one year ago, also the changes made back then aren't even in context with the current game balance.

[SONUM]
Beta Testers
577 posts
3,843 battles

But this has no significance for the discussion at all. I'm searching for a ship that can perform as well as Minekaze's previous iteration since I considered it a very strong and fun ship to play with.

I don't have any reasons to care about how the Minekaze used to be over one year ago, also the changes made back then aren't even in context with the current game balance.

Gremy.  She's on another plane of existence compared to the Minekaze.

If you must go torpedo boat the Kamikaze R, Fujin are the last vestiges of the Minekaze.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Even with only the 7km torps, Minekaze is still pretty fun.

Yes, she may not be as insane before.... But the empire has not died. Just shrunk. It's more of a kingdom now, I guess lol

Members
921 posts
13,871 battles

The queen is dead - long live the queen!

All premiums - but the Kami/Kami R/Fujin are still semi-OP torpedo monsters - every bit the equal of the now fallen Minekaze.

My nod goes to the Fujin for that bad-[edited]jack-o-lantern grin - ha ha!

Members, Beta Testers
1,591 posts
2,659 battles

While the Akatsuki'concealment is pretty meh due to being a big Fubooty Special Type Destroyer, she quite simply hauls [edited]coupled with decent guns and a hard hitting torpedo outfit.  She can ring up within a hairsbreadth of 40 knots when hoisting the speed signal which while not VMF quick is nothing to sneeze at.  While you need to be a bit circumspect during early game spotting duels, that speed gives you a lot of flexibility throughout the match.  So long as you don't get out spotted by another Can she can do the usual IJN thing and launch her fish from concealment just fine.  But that speed pays dividends when you catch an opponent overextended or distracted.  Head to head with a BB you are looking at a closure rate of a combined 60-70 knots, Akatsuki can often roll up and torpedo shank them before they can react.  I am not advocating YOLO derping all the time but like the old CBT Minekaze when the opportunity presents itself Akatsuki works really well at punishing opponents when they make a mistake.

Shiratsuyu is a powerful torp boat but once you learn to work around the concealment Akatsuki offers a level of aggressive play that Shiratsuyu is too slow and fragile to fully take advantage of.  I quite like the Tier VIIs since you have to flavors of IJN torp boat at what currently is the best MM tier.

Edited by TheStarSlayer

Members
1,494 posts
12,756 battles

This requires a bit of a Frankenstien process but could get "close" to the Minekaze style

Start with Fubuki/Shinonome (obviously the Shinonome is better if you have her due to increased credits and the 3rd turret)

Concealment (with CE) 6.3 vs 5.5 (w/ CE and camo)

HP 12,900 (15,300 with SE) vs 9,600 (11,600 with SE) Torp tubes 3x3 vs 3/2

Torp range (with Torp Acceleration) 8km vs 7km

Torp speed (with Torp Acceleration) 68 kts vs 68 kts

Torp reload 73 seconds vs 47 seconds (this is where the Shinonome falls short...so it is only a close replacement) 

Torp damage 14,600 vs 14,400

Main battery ROF 6.67 shots/min vs 6 shots/min

Main battery range 9km vs 7.6km

Overall I think this build is close and has some benefits.  I think that the 3x3 torps is a significant upgrade, and you gain 3,300 HP (3,700 with SE).  Yes you loose .8km of concealment but this is offset by 1km of torp range and 1.4km of main battery range.  IMHO the two biggest downsides are the significantly slower torp reload time and the move up to T6 (no more clubbing the occasional Myogi or Wyoming :().  Also I've found that in my IJN DD's with 10km torps dropping Superintendent in favor of Torpedo Acceleration is viable, especially with WG handing out so many free premium consumables I still get 3 smoke screens (with a shorter cooldown) and I am generally fine with only 2 speed boosts.

Sign in to follow this