You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HooplaJones

What is the best ship for stat padding and why?

42 comments in this topic

[-REK-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
823 posts

This could be also a thread about what is currently the most OP boat at their tier.  The combo of maps, tier and class really come into factor here.

I thought the tier 2 Umikaze  DD was the best choice, but it got a little nerf recently.   The reason being it was hard to hit, had concealment and was usually on small maps with a rather large torpedo range.  I think the massive damage that a DD can do can affect matches quickly and help win matches with the speed and capping.

[KTKM]
Beta Testers
4,633 posts
4,076 battles

Any T4 or T5 CV because ships in that tier range don't have any AA.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,991 posts
760 battles

God bless Texas.

Feed me more planes, plebs. 

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
1,971 posts
13,729 battles

Stat padding only happens when you are plating to an above average level in a ship. so there are two approaches. you can use a ship that most people suck in and beat the averages of that ship. or you can play an op ship and do as well as other people in that ship but better than other people in other ships.

So the best ships are the best performing ones or the worst performing ones.

That said, the only way to really pad your stats is to play well. so most people simply focus thier attention on just playing well no matter the ship.

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,834 posts

Ones that float, has guns. and sometimes even torpedo's.

Edited by Spyde

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Anything that offers high skill ceilings.

So ships with very high DPM, or CVs capable of massive alpha strikes.

Members
277 posts
7,925 battles

I've found that after you grind a few lines, play a few dozen high-tier games and start to feel competent, then drop down to start a new line, you can really get a boost to your stats. The reason being that the level of game-play you've become accustomed to has increased your skills to the point where you can really dominate low-mid tier battles. This will drive your stats up and beyond the server averages and that is when your WTR really begins to climb.

For example, I grinded through tiers 3-7 of the German BB line up to the Bismarck at tier 8 where my wins, damage and kills were increasing the whole time, but compared to the server average for those ships I was performing below average so my WTR stagnated. However, when I dropped back to tiers 3-5 to start the IJN BB line I was killing it and my WTR started taking leaps and bounds. My performance on those lower-tier ships was better than the server average because I had acquired better skills through game-play at higher tiers.

Your WTR is based on your performance relative to the server average for that ship. That is a key thing to keep in mind. 30k damage at tier 4 is very good, while the 30k damage at tier 7 is not. (for BBs, I should note)

Edited by Beatty_10

Members
2,857 posts
9,224 battles

Ones that float, has guns. and sometimes even torpedo's.

That pretty much sums it up right there.

Members
858 posts
15,015 battles

Depends on what you are trying to pad.  If you are looking to farm WTR the Sims is the best in the game.  Generally speaking it is easier to farm WTR in DDs and CAs then BBs.  Mostly because BBs have a higher average damage then the other 2.  Also, any ship that under preforms are normally good WTR farmers.

On the other side of the coin, CVs have that hardest time farming WTR.  This is because they have a much higher average damage and you are being compared to others that played the ships before they got nerfed repeatedly.  Also ships that over preform are generally harder to farm WTR in i.e. Flint.  This is because the performance curve in these ships is much flatter.

If it is win rat you are looking to pad, then the ship that you are most comfortable in and preform the best in.  Also playing in a full 3 man div.  Personally, my solo win rate over the last 90 days is 64%, but over the same period of time in a 3 man div it jumps up to 77%.  I'm using recent stats as an example to eliminate some learning curve that took place in my earlier games.  They were nearly all solo games for my first 2k games or so.

As for damage stat padding CV is obviously the best if you are skilled at them.  BB is a close 2nd.  DDs are the worst ships to pad damage stats in.  You also want to play higher tiers (8+).  At the higher tiers the HP pool is larger, there is more damage to be farmed.

If you want to pad your k/d then CV is the obvious choice since they dont die as much as other ships.  BBs are 2nd because of the huge hp pool.  DD is 3rd because of concealment.

My suggestion to anyone would be dont worry about "padding" your stats.  Play what you enjoy.  In time your stats will naturally rise as you improve, learn, and gain experience.  Frankly, if you come into the game new with 0 experience, but have a 50% win rate 1500 battles in, you are on the right path and will be purple in time.  People that look at stats can tell if you have gone out of your way to make them look better.  Just naturally let your stats improve over time and you will have a much better in game experience.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

This could be also a thread about what is currently the most OP boat at their tier.  The combo of maps, tier and class really come into factor here.

I thought the tier 2 Umikaze  DD was the best choice, but it got a little nerf recently.   The reason being it was hard to hit, had concealment and was usually on small maps with a rather large torpedo range.  I think the massive damage that a DD can do can affect matches quickly and help win matches with the speed and capping.

Actually you don't stat pad in a ship everyone uses and uses well. You get REALLY good at the ship everyone does HORRIBLE in and you play that ship till the cows come home and make it sing like no other person can.

So actually you want to find the worst ships and find ways to do REALLY good in them.

• Cool 3

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

Clemson. The "C" hull is OP without a 15pt captain.

You have better firepower than anything in T4< DDs.

You have more torpedoes than any other DD T4<, even the Derpski.

You can sail between two enemy battleships and kill them both (I just did this the other day. 100K damage in 3 seconds.)

With DE and AFT, the Clemson is a damage farming monster.

She's fast so she can get caps. She's stealthy enough. She beats up enemy DDs up to T6 but she now only sees T5s.

• Cool 1

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

Honestly?  Start with the USN.  Then narrow it down based on play style.  If you can learn to play cruisers and tolerate the USN ships, they are absolutely your best stat padding boats.  Their baseline performance is so incredibly low.  USN BB are not far behind.  DD are always a choice because so many people potato in DDs.  Seriously, though, go to Warships Todays and look at the best players for each line/tier.  Notice something?  The lines/ships with the absolute worst baseline performance also have the absolute best WTR among their top players.  One example...Tier VII cruisers:

Pensacola:

Average: 26.5k damage, 48.27% WR

Top Players: 2087 - 1637 WTR, 65-44k damage

Shchors:

Average: 38.5k damage, 51.80% WR

Top Players: 2062 - 1273 WTR, 85-42k damage

So, doing 42 k damage a game gets you a 1637 WTR with Pensacola and a 1273 WTR with Shchors (other factors excluded).  If you can attain the equivalent of even average results in Shchors while sailing a Pensacola, you will get a Unicum level WTR.  

The IJN line, simply because it's been out long enough for a ton of potatoes to play that as well and drag the all time average down, is another good choice.  That's the ugly reality.  If you want to stat pad, you don't sail "good" ships that everyone regards well and that have a lower skill floor.  You sail the "bad" ships, the ships with a high skill floor, or the ships that draw in the largest crowd (and thus more bad players).  If you can make them perform passably well, you will be rewarded with a Rock Star level WTR, floating on top of the low averages.  

Your other option is to seal club at Tier IV/V - the bountiful new players tend to drag down the averages across almost any line at these tiers.  KM BBs remain a notable exception.  Take a look at my stats:

ARP Hiei 5 BB Japan 2 0.00% 97,141 1,266 2.0 2.0 0.5 0% 31% 0% 1,751
  Kongo 5 BB Japan 9 55.56% 49,840 1,227 5.0 1.1 1.7 78% 25% 0% 1,356
  New York 5 BB USA 40 52.50% 37,031 1,117 1.2 0.7 0.9 43% 27% 0% 1,131
  König 5 BB Germany 40 65.00% 52,711 1,161 2.1 1.1 2.1 50% 29% 0% 1,160
  Kaiser 4 BB Germany 28 42.86% 40,330 666 1.6 1.0 1.8 39% 29% 0% 1,002
  Myogi 4 BB Japan 35 42.86% 35,174 746 2.0 0.9 0.2 54% 25% 0% 1,302
  Wyoming 4 BB USA 40 42.50% 33,524 617 1.7 0.7 1.3 63% 24% 0% 1,044

Myogi and Wyoming - almost EXACTLY the same performance.  Myogi - 1300 WTR, Wyoming - 1044.  Which one helped my stats more, despite sailing damn near the same (for the record, I passionately hated both of them).  Kaiser - same WR, MORE damage, even worse WTR.  Look at tier V - I CRUSHED people in Konig.  65% WR, over 50k damage - WAY better than New York in every meaningful way...and functionally the same WTR.  Similar performance in Kongo (though only in a small number of matches), 1356 WTR.  That's what I'm talking about.  Find a boat that people are terrible in, perform adequately, profit.  Another take, my Tier VI cruisers:

Aoba 6 CA/CL Japan 31 61.29% 47,502 1,701 2.7 1.2 1.5 55% 37% 5% 1,573
  Nürnberg 6 CA/CL Germany 49 73.47% 38,375 1,029 3.7 1.1 0.2 69% 26% 11% 1,489
  Leander 6 CA/CL UK 40 55.00% 51,433 1,585 3.8 1.3 0.9 65% 39% 22% 1,337
  Budyonny 6 CA/CL USSR 57 43.86% 43,982 1,073 1.7 0.9 0.8 46% 26% 19% 1,147
  Molotov 6 CA/CL USSR 30 56.67% 41,228 1,248 1.3 0.7 0.4 43% 31% 13% 1,011

[-_W_-]
Members
1,089 posts
2,418 battles

I've found that after you grind a few lines, play a few dozen high-tier games and start to feel competent, then drop down to start a new line, you can really get a boost to your stats. The reason being that the level of game-play you've become accustomed to has increased your skills to the point where you can really dominate low-mid tier battles. This will drive your stats up and beyond the server averages and that is when your WTR really begins to climb.

Pretty much this. On Warships.today, my highest ships by WTR are Sampson, Wakatake, Chester, ARP Takao, and Phoenix. Chester and Phoenix because I started the USN cruiser line after already hitting T7 in Japanese cruisers, and so it was trivially easy to dominate in low-tier matches. Sampson and Wakatake because, even though I didn't (and really still don't) play a lot of DDs, I had enough experience with torpedoes from Japanese cruisers to know what I was doing. And also because my two matches with Sampson were on a perfect map for setting up island ambushes.

ARP Takao is an outlier.

Members
2,709 posts
17,651 battles

Stat padding only happens when you are plating to an above average level in a ship. so there are two approaches. you can use a ship that most people suck in and beat the averages of that ship. or you can play an op ship and do as well as other people in that ship but better than other people in other ships.

So the best ships are the best performing ones or the worst performing ones.

That said, the only way to really pad your stats is to play well. so most people simply focus thier attention on just playing well no matter the ship.

I don't usually agree with Rounne all that much, but this is about the best answer you're going to get.

Examples: 

• Atlanta - has low server averages across the board (for good reason), so if you learn how to play it half way decent, your stats will be artificially high.
  • Belfast - widely considered an OP ship. Easy to play, easy to farm damage.

Look at how much better I have to perform in the Belfast just to get a significantly lower WTR than the Atlanta.

YERkWWH.png

That being said, I feel the Belfast is much easier and versatile ship to play whether it's top or bottom tier in a match. The Atlanta, however, not so much.

Edited by sbcptnitro

[RLGN]
Members
19,165 posts
35,200 battles

Actually you don't stat pad in a ship everyone uses and uses well. You get REALLY good at the ship everyone does HORRIBLE in and you play that ship till the cows come home and make it sing like no other person can.

So actually you want to find the worst ships and find ways to do REALLY good in them.

Like (the old T6) Mustuki.

My win rate in it was nearly 10% above the server average, and in the T5 it;s nearly 20% above average, (admittedly, with just a few games played.)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Like (the old T6) Mustuki.

My win rate in it was nearly 10% above the server average, and in the T5 it;s nearly 20% above average, (admittedly, with just a few games played.)

Exactly. You can stat pad the hell out of the Mitsuki if you know what you're doing.  Some others, most of the USN cruiser lineup, especially Phoenix, Pensacola and New Orleans.  Lower end USN DDs like Clemson(fav low tier clubber, but the average damage is so low, if you can pull 30k, you're over double).

Few other ships like that.

Members
396 posts
13,683 battles

Adding a little to this: I have approximately a 60% WR with my Hosho. Fully upgraded with it's torp planes is brutal at T4. The real key I see is a combination of ships carrying little AA (not you, Texas) and opposing CV drivers who don't know how to CV. For example, I have dominated the skies even against a Langley because I know how to strafe. There just seems to be a sweet spot for T4 CV drivers who know what they are doing.