Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GiN_nTonic

Is someone at WG going to get fired?

43 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
825 posts
7,027 battles

Its great I was able to win ship after ship spending a fraction of the money I would have otherwise, but what is WG's strategy here?  Did someone at WG mess up and place the wrong algorithm % in and WG managers are going to get to work on Tuesday only to realize a huge blunder?

After feeling really good about all the ships I got I started to think about why WG would do something like this, as this isn't like them at all.  Part of me thinks this is a mistake the upper brass don't yet know about.

Banned
2,485 posts
977 battles

Don't worry... some people weren't very lucky with the rolls...

I had to crash through about $60 of boxes before I started getting something that wasn't camo/flags.

Beta Testers
825 posts
7,027 battles

Don't worry... some people weren't very lucky with the rolls...

I had to crash through about $60 of boxes before I started getting something that wasn't camo/flags.

In some ways even that could be a serious error.  Meaning....I still can't figure out why some get ship after ship....  perhaps it was supposed to be more spread out? 

Watching MANY youtube vids show exactly what was happening to me - and if you really think about it that can't be what was intended.

Edited by GiN_nTonic

[CK5]
Members
1,931 posts
23,392 battles

Lots of shiny new ships means an energized player base who will play even more matches and some will likely invest in more premium time and doubloons.  It sounds like a good move to me. 

[BL4CK]
Members
144 posts
5,441 battles

i gave up at $60 and nothing but flags and camo not even a single doubloon. Kinda pisses me off when i see all these people on twitch and youtube opening them up and getting like 3 ships in 10 boxes

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

Its great I was able to win ship after ship spending a fraction of the money I would have otherwise, but what is WG's strategy here?  Did someone at WG mess up and place the wrong algorithm % in and WG managers are going to get to work on Tuesday only to realize a huge blunder?

After feeling really good about all the ships I got I started to think about why WG would do something like this, as this isn't like them at all.  Part of me thinks this is a mistake the upper brass don't yet know about.

It's simple really, I wouldn't have spent as much money on ships as I did on boxes. It's the same idea as Boxing Day or Black Friday sales. You don't get much out of each sale, but you get the huge volume and it makes all the difference.

[LWC]
Alpha Tester
446 posts
8,380 battles

Most of the free ships are worthless old content that nobody is buying anymore anyway. Were folks really crashing the server for Emdens and Ishizuchis? I don't think so. 

[TATER]
[TATER]
Beta Testers
56 posts

I don't think so. There's a method to the madness. Most people are basically paying for ships they would have never bought otherwise and consider it a steal by judging it based on the full price value of the ship.

Think about it this way. Let's say I bought 3x $3 gifts and got an Indianapolis, valued at $35. I would never buy the Indianapolis at $35 (or even $15, I'm just not interested in it). Did I "save" $26 and get a deal, or did WG just entice me to spend $9 that I would not have spent otherwise?

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,873 posts
11,513 battles

It's a brilliant move on their part, by making this a limited time sale and allowing such a high chance to win a premium ship they have probably made more in the past several days than they have in the past several months. By keeping the price point low and offering amazing deals on doubloons, premium time, premium ships, flags and more they have probably enticed people who might not ordinarily spend much money (if any at all) to open up the wallet and throw cash at their screen. 

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

Thing is, these ships cost exactly 0 dollars and 0 cents to manufacture.

(Beyond the first unit, anyway)

Edited by issm

Beta Testers
825 posts
7,027 battles

Thats pretty much the case with any "game", "software"  or "game-content"....the thing is 1 ship dev with overhead etc is probably a huge number.

Beta Testers
825 posts
7,027 battles

Most of the free ships are worthless old content that nobody is buying anymore anyway. Were folks really crashing the server for Emdens and Ishizuchis? I don't think so. 

You're out of touch if that is what you think they are giving away.

[SYN]
Members
3,775 posts
25,422 battles

I don't think so. There's a method to the madness. Most people are basically paying for ships they would have never bought otherwise and consider it a steal by judging it based on the full price value of the ship.

Think about it this way. Let's say I bought 3x $3 gifts and got an Indianapolis, valued at $35. I would never buy the Indianapolis at $35 (or even $15, I'm just not interested in it). Did I "save" $26 and get a deal, or did WG just entice me to spend $9 that I would not have spent otherwise?

Spot on.

I was after several ships (one of which, the Gremy, is not on sale) and got them. But I spent more than I otherwise would have if they were on sale individually in the shop.

Don't get me wrong I am very happy with the transaction but as with all good deals I think WG would be quite happy too.

I feel for the guys who didn't get ships, but that is the rub when there is no guarantee.

[LEND]
Beta Testers
186 posts

My shiny new Scharnhorst, Prinze Eugen, and Arizona take issue at that statement.

[LWC]
Alpha Tester
446 posts
8,380 battles

My shiny new Scharnhorst, Prinze Eugen, and Arizona take issue at that statement.

You got 'em, I didn't, and I bet there are far more mes than yous. 

[TXGUN]
[TXGUN]
Members
4,596 posts
13,508 battles

Um you forget that the devs do get a paycheck for their time spend creating content for this, they work regular hours just like anyone else.

[ABDA]
Members
258 posts
3,843 battles

WG is laughing at all the money they made from people buying these gifts. Trust me, I got lucky too with getting like 6 unique ships and 4 clones of them but I had to pay to do it. So did everyone else. Very few ppl walked away with one santa gift and immediately got a ship for it. I am positive WG made a crap ton of money off the Santa gifts. I hope they bring it back next year. It is still a fantastic bargain for the players.

[SYN]
Members
3,775 posts
25,422 battles

Yep most of the guys who got a lot of ships spent north of $100.

Members
1,515 posts
8,453 battles

I spent around $75.00 and got the Sims, Blyskawica, Atlanta, Kutuzov and Atago.

I guess I got pretty lucky.

I'm going to guess this was probably their single biggest influx of cash in a short period of time since Wows began.  Someone is getting promoted.

Edited by Hangoverhomey

Members
308 posts
8,893 battles

Yep most of the guys who got a lot of ships spent north of $100.

Yup. It's not a good feeling blowing all your spare shekels like that... but I got all the ships I needed.

Members
1,650 posts
1,608 battles

I spent a grand total of $100 on boxes and wound up with, by my count, about $225 worth of ships... plus another $25 in doubloons and a ton of camos/flags. So... yeah. I'm with the OP - I don't have a clue what they were thinking. The rare boat chance was insanely, inexplicably high.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

I spent exactly $0 on this & I don't regret not spending at all.

Sign in to follow this