You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
hpat

Farming win rate - What am I doing wrong?

14 comments in this topic

Members
14 posts
1,501 battles

Good afternoon,

About three weeks ago I noticed I was a poor player, based on my stats. Fueled my arrogance issues and narcissism, I decided to embark an a grand scheme to 'git gud;' I stated reading the wiki on game mechanics, LittleWhiteMouse's article on how to control your win rate (and following her advice,) trying to support my team and farm DDs (I usually play cruisers.) 

I've been focusing on a single ship, almost exclusively. First it was the Bogytar, then the Molotov after I won her from a handful of $1 Christmas boxes. Despite the forum and wiki warnings about the Molotov's high skill floor, and poor T6 matchmaking, I find that she just works for me - A destroyer's mobility and accurate guns that seem to have more punch and citadel-ability than the 203mms on the IJN CAs I used to play.

Neither the less, a strange thing happened: My win rated started to sink faster than the Hood after her magazine detonation. I feel like I'm losing about 65-70% of my battles, and my WR now hangs at 47.5% (Down from 48-49%) Despite this, I seem to be the top, or near top of my team in most battles (I may have some confirmation and observer bias here...) 

So, does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Wrong ship? Bad luck with teams? Not enough skill? Or am I just obsessing about my win rate a bit too much?

For your amusement, My stats: http://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1000514492,hpat/

Beta Testers
302 posts
2,583 battles

It's not playing a specific ship that helps, its finding a ship that you are good at in terms of the ship itself and that tier's playstyle and teamwork.

EDIT: misread

Edited by Kojo401

[REEF]
Beta Testers
914 posts
12,841 battles

Tier 5 and 6 have terrible matchmaking.  Try dropping back to T4 for a while and see what happens.  That's what I did because I was tired of being in T7 matches in my T5 ships and T8 matches in my T6 ships more often than not.  So, I went back to T4 for the majority of my battles and then go play up to T10 when I feel like it.

Members
629 posts
2,397 battles

What your doing wrong is playing a WG title.

Yep. My WR is basically the same as it was when I started 1 year ago EXACTLY, today. lol.

Members
117 posts
4,309 battles

Your average damage per game and XP per game continues to climb. I say there is no need to stress at this point. Someone already mentioned dropping back a tier or 2 for awhile. That helped me when I dropped back to 6. Now at 7 im holding my own but im not going to advance for awhile. I should have done this in the first place.

[DERE]
Beta Testers
539 posts
983 battles

If your farming for win rate exclusively you must be in a full group and never EVER play during school holidays.

[BLKHS]
Beta Testers
1,612 posts
8,174 battles

A few thoughts on win rate:.

1.  Playing in a division with one or two decent or good players increases your win rate.

2.  Check in periodically on the server stats for all ships at www.warships.today.   The performance of changes from time to time.  The Tirp is a prime example.  It started out dominating Tier VIII.  Now it stinks.  I have mine in mothballs.  Try to use ships which have a recent (eg over the last two weeks) WR of at least 50% or better. Preferably your ship daily line up (those you each day, should be in the top 10 ships at their tier.

3. If you lose 3 in a row...log off for at least 10 minutes or more and start a new session.  If this keeps happening, log off for the day and come back the next day.

[ERK]
Beta Testers
18 posts
5,808 battles

The main Key is to keep learning and keep playing.  I played up to T10 and went back to T4, 5 & 6.  I play the Cleveland as my farm ship for credits as it makes a lot of credits.  My New Mexico is the same with good credits.  I use the North Carolina some, love it and it does get some credits depending on the team.  The higher up you go the worst the play is.  To many don't watch the mini-map or listen to warning of where the enemy team is advancing.  Remember to it is a game and kids make it hard at times.

Happy New Year all!

Gundriver24

Edited by Gundriver24

[DOOP]
Members
856 posts
2,442 battles

Get out of the Mollie, get out of the Myoko. Get back in your Aoba. You seem to do decent in it.

Your WTR is much better than mine, but I've learned to scrap damage for objectives. It hurt my overall, helped my WR.

The Molotov is not a carry ship. It is a team support ship that deals a ton of damage while hiding amongst the team. If your following a group of ships that ain't playing objectives, but is still dealing damage, ie: the lemming train, you'll post good numbers without the win.

[2GOOD]
Members
941 posts
22,986 battles

So, does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Wrong ship? Bad luck with teams? Not enough skill? Or am I just obsessing about my win rate a bit too much?

There's only one way to farm a better win rate - be carried by better players in a division.

Don't focus on win rate, look at improving how you play, staying alive longer, improving your map awareness, etc. Improve in areas like these and your win rate will follow.

Incidentally, you have a 50% win rate in the Molotov, it's the other ships you are playing that are pulling your win rate down at the moment.

Members
158 posts

I am in a similar position to you in that my damage was below average but my win rate was heading for 55%.

As I tried to concentrate on doing more damage my win rate dropped to 45%.

. I guess what was happening was as I was concentrating on doing more damage I was losing awareness of the tactical situation, (capping defending caps etc.)

You play cruiser mostly and your damage is above average, could it be that you are concentrating your fire on BBs to farm damage?. I see this on a daily basis cruisers, He spamming BBs for damage while ignoring the very important DDs.

Your role as cruiser is to take out enemy DDs, this is critical, if you can take out an enemy DD early then that will influence your winrate.

By taking out the DD you are protecting your BBs and you make it harder for them to Cap.

Also I notice your survival rate is a little below average, you are dying a little too fast, so maybe sit back a little more and develop your situational awareness, i.e look at the minmap more.

Now if I could only follow my own advice ))

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

I have found that playing the objectives in DD's leads to better win rates.