Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ElectricHellfire

Would like your opinions

17 comments in this topic

Members
22 posts

Hello all,

I have about 542k free XP sitting around and I cannot decide what to get next.  I watch a lot of community contributors like Notser, iChase, Business6 and Flamu etc.  I could keep grinding out 207k more free XP for the Missouri, or I can jump into the Neptune or Des Moines.   I could also probably get the Shimakazi or the Gearing as I have the Fletcher and Kagero already. I also could get the G. Kurfurst as I have the Freddy already.   I play all the classes pretty much except CV, which I have zero interest in, and I like them all.    Thank you for your suggestions and have a Happy New Year!

Edited by ElectricHellfire

[ASHIP]
Members
5,454 posts
12,925 battles

I wouldn't recommend spending free xp to pass ships entirely. Using free xp to get out of the stock configuration is fine, but passing a ship/tier entirely robs you of valuable experience. To be honest, I usually skip new line releases and free xp to the tier 7, but only because i feel low tier play doesn't really offer me anything in the way of experience.

Missouri isn't a terrible option, but if you aren't always hurting for credits I don't see the point. It is likely that we will see other ships sold for free xp in the future too.

[A-D-F]
Members
7,876 posts
43,376 battles

As you know, common wisdom is not to use Free XP to jump through ships, but to use it to upgrade new ships ASAP, though I am guilty of doing this on occasion.

Of course you could grind some more and get Missouri. That is what I am doing and am currently at 582k Free XP. Last month I did use Free XP to jump the last 1/2 off Edinburgh to Neptune and do not regret it (though I kept Fiji and Edinburgh).

Edited by alexf24

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

I would not skip a ship. you will lose something rather than getting it. If I was you I would try and safe up Free XP for Missouri.

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,363 posts
14,161 battles

I honestly would recommend the VMF DD line if you have't already. Those ships are sooo fun to play its not even funny. If not VMF DDs then USN ones

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

MO seems like the best choice, It is only available with free xp while other ships can be unlocked by playing them. And as others have said, skipping a ship just means you miss out on playing it.

Members
22 posts

Thanks for the replies so far.  I agree, I generally do not skip tiers but I was considering skipping the Edinburough because it seems just like a larger version of the Fiji that I have and the Yugumo seems sort of lackluster in many of the commentaries I have seen since the IJN nerfs.   I have the Baltimore so I know what to expect with the Des Moines.  I like the Fred D Grosse but sometimes tier X BB is a little boring so that is why I am hesitant on the Kurfurst.  The Gearing looks like a fun gun boat with decent torps.  Perhaps just going for the Mighty Mo would be my best option?  Decisions, decisions...  Thank you again for your comments and suggestions.

Members
22 posts

I honestly would recommend the VMF DD line if you have't already. Those ships are sooo fun to play its not even funny. If not VMF DDs then USN ones

I have the Udaloi and love it.  How is the Khabarovsk? 

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,363 posts
14,161 battles

Thanks for the replies so far.  I agree, I generally do not skip tiers but I was considering skipping the Edinburough because it seems just like a larger version of the Fiji that I have and the Yugumo seems sort of lackluster in many of the commentaries I have seen since the IJN nerfs.   I have the Baltimore so I know what to expect with the Des Moines.  I like the Fred D Grosse but sometimes tier X BB is a little boring so that is why I am hesitant on the Kurfurst.  The Gearing looks like a fun gun boat with decent torps.  Perhaps just going for the Mighty Mo would be my best option?  Decisions, decisions...  Thank you again for your comments and suggestions.

If you want a tier X DD then I would recommend Khabarovsk over Gearing. Gearing has the same flaws all USN DDs from tier V and onward suffer from: That atrocious shell arc and terrible flight times. These two factors add up so that reliably landing hits on moving targets borderline impossible. Khabarovsk is faster, has better armor (The best of and DD) and landing hits at range is extremly easy, and the torps, while not as good as the Gearing or Shima, the Walls-of-Skill that Khabarovsk can output are most certainly nothing to sneeze at. But at the end of the day, its still your own choice 

Edited by BlueMistPvP

Members
268 posts
4,012 battles

Definitely get the MO if you have saved that much already. It will get MUCH harder if you spent them and start saving from scratch. 

In terms of the ships you can skip, there is really not much point. Fletcher is a really good ship (in fact, I consider it much better than the Gearing). As for shimakaze and DM, just take you ways slow as they aren't very competitive in T10 matches . For the Neptune, if you haven't start the line, you could get a Leander in Christmas Convoy and start climbing from there, British cruisers rely heavily on 15 pt captain to do well, so skipping to Neptune will only give you pain. 

Can't give any advice on battleships as I don't play them much.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,069 posts
30,849 battles

Hello all,

I have about 542k free XP sitting around and I cannot decide what to get next.  I watch a lot of community contributors like Notser, iChase, Business6 and Flamu etc.  I could keep grinding out 207k more free XP for the Missouri, or I can jump into the Neptune or Des Moines.   I could also probably get the Shimakazi or the Gearing as I have the Fletcher and Kagero already. I also could get the G. Kurfurst as I have the Freddy already.   I play all the classes pretty much except CV, which I have zero interest in, and I like them all.    Thank you for your suggestions and have a Happy New Year!

Missouri can be attained by you with more grinding.  207k more FreeXPs?  That's better than a lot of guys can say ATM.  Just realize one thing:  Outside the radar gimmick on MO, she has in practice, the same strengths and weaknesses of Iowa.  She will get insta-deleted the moment someone gets a view of her sides, no question.  No high tier BB collapses as bad as Iowa / Missouri the moment anyone sees her sides.  In that way she is like a Cruiser.  For all the problems IJN BB players despise Izumo for, Izumo doesn't suffer that level of embarrassment that Iowa / Missouri suffers with a non-existent armor scheme outside bow-on, and a punishing high citadel for anyone, even Cruisers to exploit.

Neptune is amazing, DM is good in the right hands, right circumstances.  People complain about IJN DD issues but Shimakaze still instills great fear and her torpedo salvos can stop cold an advance if she isn't dealt with.  Gearing is a monster in her own ways.  GK is the only Tier X BB competing on equal terms with Yamato.  These are good ships but I'd say go for the one that suits your playstyle most.

Or... You can keep playing normal, keep saving the FreeXPs since you're undecided.  There's nothing wrong with keeping on stacking up FreeXPs.  Who knows what else down the road WG will put out for high FreeXP costs outside of Missouri who certainly broke the norms of the game.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
22 posts

Missouri can be attained by you with more grinding.  207k more FreeXPs?  That's better than a lot of guys can say ATM.  Just realize one thing:  Outside the radar gimmick on MO, she has in practice, the same strengths and weaknesses of Iowa.  She will get insta-deleted the moment someone gets a view of her sides, no question.  No high tier BB collapses as bad as Iowa / Missouri the moment anyone sees her sides.  In that way she is like a Cruiser.  For all the problems IJN BB players despise Izumo for, Izumo doesn't suffer that level of embarrassment that Iowa / Missouri suffers with a non-existent armor scheme outside bow-on, and a punishing high citadel for anyone, even Cruisers to exploit.

Neptune is amazing, DM is good in the right hands, right circumstances.  People complain about IJN DD issues but Shimakaze still instills great fear and her torpedo salvos can stop cold an advance if she isn't dealt with.  Gearing is a monster in her own ways.  GK is the only Tier X BB competing on equal terms with Yamato.  These are good ships but I'd say go for the one that suits your playstyle most.

Or... You can keep playing normal, keep saving the FreeXPs since you're undecided.  There's nothing wrong with keeping on stacking up FreeXPs.  Who knows what else down the road WG will put out for high FreeXP costs outside of Missouri who certainly broke the norms of the game.

I love the potential for credits and XP on the Missouri BUT.....  I already have the Iowa and what you say is 100% accurate IMO.   Its all bow on or nothing.   Thank you for the reply.

[5IN]
Members
1,371 posts
33,735 battles

im not a fan of skipping ships.

RN T7-9 is very fun. USN not so much at all.

Most people who have gone down the lines free XP first hulls and the odd other thing to make the ship less grindy but thats it.

nothing worse than having not enough free xp to get past the odd real dog in a tree.

I try to have enough free xp to get past the lower tiers in new trees. this german DD line is the execption where 130k got me only so far as T7 with some play with each tier and im still waiting to get a worthwhile ship to keep. frankly it doesnt seem like any of them are worth keeping.

[TF]
Members
24 posts
11,531 battles

I have encountered a few Mo's and they seem to brawl more like Bismarcks (shrugging off AP shells with thick armor)  I have seen them take citadel hits, but not anywhere near as easy as an Iowa.  The MO looks like a solid ship, and how often do you have near that much free XP saved anyway.  Go Get Mo'!!!
  • Cool 1

Members
760 posts
16,080 battles

Mo is the best choice. It will give you the credit income to subsidize all your purchases. Then you can take the time to learn each ship. 

Beta Testers
1,971 posts
13,729 battles

Flamu is somewhat bragging that at the time of this video he was the best EU player of all in the Missouri. However, his points about the ship are spot on. It is now the best tier 9 battleship in the game. Not only that, it is a premium ship with unique benefits. Clan wars has not been put into the game yet. As well, other bot modes like convoy, more team battles, and other game modes have not been put into the game but are planned. It is quite possible that clan players will need lots of credits. This is what happened in WOT. It is quite possible to happen here as well. Forcing players to earn lots of credits in order to stay competitive is part of how this company sets up its games. Before tier ten cammo came out people constantly complained about the cost of playing tier ten games. 

In my view, if you have the chance to get the Missouri, you would be wise in the long run to do so. It is also rumored that the Missouri will not always be available to get. As well, tech tree ships are nurfed where premiums are often buffed. This is even true if they get power creeped out of fashion as WOT even started buffing old premium tanks last summer before a new round of fall sales pitches. 

Sign in to follow this