Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Junka_Kamehameha

Yamato: stealth or secondary?

18 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
71 posts
4,263 battles

So yesterday on Christmas I went full wallet and skipped the Izumo to get the Hawaiian SuperBattleDreadnought Kamehameha :trollface: 

Also transferred my 16 point captain from Nagato.

I have experimented with two builds... stealth Yamato, with 13.5 km detection and focus on big guns, as well as a more traditional 15+ km build. The obvious weaknesses of the secondary build is I tended to be targeted by long range HE more often, but the stealth build sucked whenever there were capable dds on the other team.

With the current meta in mind, which build takes the best advantage of the Yamato's assets? I have enough gold left to probably do one more full rebuild before sticking with it.

[ASHIP]
Members
5,454 posts
12,933 battles

It's not more stealthy than Montana, and it's secondaries aren't better than GK. It also doesn't have the anti citadel armor that GK does. Pretty much preference. I took Secondaries.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

I personally went secondary build.  The abysmal turret traverse means that anyone who catches you off-guard can do as they please while your guns rotate for the next minute trying to catch up.  Secondaries can fill that void in your defense quite nicely.  Yamato's not particularly maneuverable or responsive, even among T10 BBs, and combined with glaring weaknesses in her armor scheme, the further you keep enemies away, the better.  Secondary build does that quite effectively.

Using Auxiliary Armaments Mod 1 does a lot to help your secondary guns withstand HE spam.  It has the nice side bonus of buffing your AA gun survivability too.

• Cool 1

Members
2,072 posts
2,712 battles

I personally went secondary-focus over stealth, if only because as soon as you fire those main guns, you'll be spotted from a Tier I game on the RU server.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
71 posts
4,263 battles

I had fun sneaking up on cruisers at 13k, but I think you guys are right. 90% of the time allied cruisers are no help and I end up knife fighting kageros :facepalm:

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

Secondary build. Yamato, Izumo, Grosser Kurfurst, Midway, and Hakuryu are so big that beginners in a tier I game over in RU or SEA can see your ship. Once you fire those guns, you're spotted, no matter what.

[SCCC]
Members
1,137 posts
9,687 battles

Remember those days when the Myogi and Kongo were gods with their range, sniping from 20 km and scoring citadels. Farming AFK kills never been so easy with that scout plane.

I personally went secondary-focus over stealth, if only because as soon as you fire those main guns, you'll be spotted from a Tier I game on the RU server.

+1

• Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Any thoughts on tier 3 captain skill? Repair party vs consumables?

Tier 3 captain skill should always be Superintendent for a battleship.  Vigilance and High Alert are quality-of-life skills at best.

[TOG]
Members
4,758 posts
34,565 battles

I opted for the main battery mod 2 and 3 with stealth. I decided to keep moving moving 12-18 km of the fight and not go in unless I have to. I've tried the secondary build and I found out most ships just move out of 10.1 and too many times most of my tm runs away in a brawl leaving me to my fate. If you plan to keep moving, turret traverse and loading time are the keys.

[DGODS]
Members
8 posts

I am running a stealth build right now. But, I just stepped into my Yamato over xmas and have under a few dozen games. It's kind of nice ambushing other ships and being harder to spot. But I think that mindset carried over from having to grind the Izumo is obsolete in the Yamato. I'm leaning heavily towards a secondary/AA build. I'd reset my commander, but now that 6.0 was revealed that would just be a waste of gold.

Members
363 posts
6,573 battles

it's secondaries aren't better than GK

It's debatable, I've seen secondary built Yamato's cause more fires and output more damage than GK secondaries. 

As for the topic question, I would go with secondary build. Yamato's secondaries are monstrous they can inflict heafty damage on their own, brush off destroyers and make Yamato a dangerous ship to brawl against. Even a GK would have trouble brawling with a well angled secondary built Yamato that's constantly chipping away at it's health, while causing multiple fires.

Edited by TsundereMusashi

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,667 posts
12,600 battles

With the upcoming skill sets, you can have both manual and concealment with the available points

[WOLF5]
Members
38,614 posts
31,259 battles

Yesterday using Yamato, I was able to ambush 2 DDs with Manual Secondaries trying to sneak in and cap B on Shatter.  It also helped a DD was nearby ahead of me to pick them out as they came forward :trollface:  x2 CQE!

[ONE38]
Members
3,782 posts
14,818 battles

I've used both builds. Currently I'm trying stealth. So far stealth build been better but more testing/greater sample size is needed to be more conclusive. 

Members
693 posts
18,963 battles

Meta is about to change. I don't think Yammy is fast enough to do secondaries build. It will rarely use them. I say yamato big guns build.

Sign in to follow this