You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
hawkai

a fair solution to change the camping meta

15 comments in this topic

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,429 battles

if wows really wanted to fixing the camping meta in the game there is a real simple solution

as I understand it, the dispersion factor is on a sliding scale, as you get closer to your target the better your dispersion gets

so across the board, for every ship, class and tier in the game

if your shooting at max range make the dispersion so bad you barely get hits and force the people to move closer, game wide, increase the dispersion ratio by 10%,

if that does not get the game moving and into a fluid battle, increase it again

I think if you got people fighting at 50% to 75% of there max range, the game would be very different than it is now,  would lower also the invisable fire window on allot of ship

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,363 posts
14,161 battles

Why are there so many threads complaining about campers? At any rate, there's nothing you can do to change these people's mindsets. Unless you can convince them otherwise, they will continue to camp no matter what you do (Short of decreasing their max range). There's no game mechanic you can add. No tutorial you can make. Stupidity is forever

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
16,371 posts
10,159 battles

Dispersion is already awful, if you want to be effective you have to get closer. That said, the point is to have an interesting game with multiple options and ways to solve a situation, not a dumbed down Atari-like version of Battleships.

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

It's already pretty bad at max range, it's more a psychological problem with how players on this server play. No need to punish players who actually are good at aiming.

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

My solution is just to increase US DD torpedo ranges. The Gearing should shoot 25km torpedoes, Fletcher, 20km, etc.

:hiding:

• Cool 1

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,429 battles

My solution is just to increase US DD torpedo ranges. The Gearing should shoot 25km torpedoes, Fletcher, 20km, etc.

:hiding:

​I like this idea +1 sense I'm a DD main

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

Spoiler Alert: Many people are on holiday right now, and that means that you have casual gamers playing competitive games. Casual gamers are not very confident, and therefore they play cautiously. You can make a dozen threads complaining about it, or you can get over it and move on.

[CHEEZ]
Members
2,614 posts
4,925 battles

Solution for fixing camping? 

Fix the economy at all tiers correctly, so the ONLY thing that is rewarded with experience are actions that directly correlate with winning.

They need to do a constant tick on the capture points like battlefield does. And have it play out on screen so you can see your reward in real time. IE: every 5 seconds you are on the cap, in the process of capping or decapping, you get say, 20 xp, and have it count out on screen for the player to see. That way they get the instant gratification of seeing their XP and credits increase in real time, and it is positive reinforcment for the correct actions that players need to take.

Same thing with flag defense ribbons, have their XP value displayed on screen.

Stop giving XP for damage, only reward damage with credits. That way, if you want to advance in the game, stop camping to pad your own stats and help the team win.

Edited by twitch133
  • Cool 2

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,429 battles

It's already pretty bad at max range, it's more a psychological problem with how players on this server play. No need to punish players who actually are good at aiming.

​I really don't think this would affect the good players much at all,  they are at max range until they see a weakness that they can take advantage of and then they push, it would mostly affect those that are not team players and will hide and use there teammates as meat shields and farm damage and by there play help there team lose the match

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles

The issue with camping has already been dealt with by Wows .. its called less XP meta,why its still done... well the MM might have something to do with it for instance in my Murmansk if I play the same way facing Vll Cruisers as I do at V ,my life is about 45 seconds however if I lay back and snipe with spotter plane be less aggresive , snipe for halve game or so than buddy up with a stronger ship and push an opening ,I can do ok with XP and also more importantly help the team win

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,429 battles

Spoiler Alert: Many people are on holiday right now, and that means that you have casual gamers playing competitive games. Casual gamers are not very confident, and therefore they play cautiously. You can make a dozen threads complaining about it, or you can get over it and move on.

​was over it before I posted it, my idea was just aimed at improving the overall game play. as a dd man player, we love nothing more than campers, we will find a way to get to them, easy target for all experienced player but it takes away from the game, the fights are better when it is a moving battlefield

Edited by hawkai

[CHEEZ]
Members
2,614 posts
4,925 battles

The issue with camping has already been dealt with by Wows .. its called less XP meta,why its still done... well the MM might have something to do with it for instance in my Murmansk if I play the same way facing Vll Cruisers as I do at V ,my life is about 45 seconds however if I lay back and snipe with spotter plane be less aggresive , snipe for halve game or so than buddy up with a stronger ship and push an opening ,I can do ok with XP and also more importantly help the team win

The solution installed by WG still has not done enough. As most players are still more concerned with keeping their paint free of scratches than they are winning...

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

I don't see many campers.  In the upper tiers, there is the range "dance" during the first one-third of the game.  It's sort of like two boxers feeling each other in the first rounds of a fight.  Attack/Parry.  This is the dynamic when you have long range firepower that can deal devastating damage in a single salvo.  It also requires patience.  It's as much attrition as it is knock-out blows.

It depends on the MM (few DDs) and the team dynamics.  Sometimes as a BB player in my Yamato, I'll drive right into a cap in the early game.  It's not a yolo, but a calculated risk based on experience, team support, and what I expect to see.  I do it to WIN!  It doesn't happen often; it is highly situational dependent.  Most other times, I have to be cautious...feel out the other side.  This is a fun dynamic.

I was a Baltimore in a T7-9 Epicenter match.  Teams were camping early, and enemy had the center with smoking DDs.  I decided to drive the center, light him up with Radar.  We took a DD out.  Although I didn't intend to suicide, the smoke cleared and I became focus fire of the entire enemy team.  My survival was not in the cards.  So I bowed on and took out another of their DDs, before I got killed. Two of their three DDs out of Epicenter match for one Baltimore.  I didn't score well, but at that point we were two DDs to none (the other had already been taken out), and our DD captains played a patient attrition game;  not getting too close to get focus and die, but playing close enough to keep the enemy from advancing due to the torp threat.  Reds had no DDs to counter our control of the center.  Our BB and CA captains also played patient, keeping the CAs from advancing on center or driving on our DDs.  We eventually wore the enemy down for the win.

Was it my expert marksman skills that killed those two enemy DDs?  No.  An OP IX CA?  No.  But my "decision" to charge into the center and light 'em up played a very big role in their destruction.  DDs are gold in Epicenter matches.  It's this "thinking" nature of the WOWS that appeals to me.  The early chat was prophetic.  One player noted I was going to die in the center.  My reply was I had to commit to finish off the DDs.  His come back was the prophetic piece "That might just win the game for us".  I have to give equal credit to my team.  They knew how to play to take advantage of the strategic advantage we had with two DDs to none on epicenter match. 

Attack/Parry.  Be patient.  Look for weakness.  Pounce with all you got.  WOWS is a thinking man's game, and becomes more so at the high tiers.  This is a good think IMHO. (Freudian slip pun not intended).

Edit:  Oh, our CV guy also played well too, able to focus on harassing enemy while the enemy CV was focusing on our DDs.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 1

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,429 battles

I don't see many campers.  In the upper tiers, there is the range "dance" during the first one-third of the game.  It's sort of like two boxers feeling each other in the first rounds of a fight.  Attack/Parry.  This is the dynamic when you have long range firepower that can deal devastating damage in a single salvo.  It also requires patience.  It's as much attrition as it is knock-out blows.

It depends on the MM (few DDs) and the team dynamics.  Sometimes as a BB player in my Yamato, I'll drive right into a cap in the early game.  It's not a yolo, but a calculated risk based on experience, team support, and what I expect to see.  I do it to WIN!  It doesn't happen often; it is highly situational dependent.  Most other times, I have to be cautious...feel out the other side.  This is a fun dynamic.

I was a Baltimore in a T7-9 Epicenter match.  Teams were camping early, and enemy had the center with smoking DDs.  I decided to drive the center, light him up with Radar.  We took a DD out.  Although I didn't intend to suicide, the smoke cleared and I became focus fire of the entire enemy team.  My survival was not in the cards.  So I bowed on and took out another of their DDs, before I got killed. Two of their three DDs out of Epicenter match for one Baltimore.  I didn't score well, but at that point we were two DDs to none (the other had already been taken out), and our DD captains played a patient attrition game;  not getting too close to get focus and die, but playing close enough to keep the enemy from advancing due to the torp threat.  Reds had no DDs to counter our control of the center.  Our BB and CA captains also played patient, keeping the CAs from advancing on center or driving on our DDs.  We eventually wore the enemy down for the win.

Was it my expert marksman skills that killed those two enemy DDs?  No.  An OP IX CA?  No.  But my "decision" to charge into the center and light 'em up played a very big role in their destruction.  DDs are gold in Epicenter matches.  It's this "thinking" nature of the WOWS that appeals to me.  The early chat was prophetic.  One player noted I was going to die in the center.  My reply was I had to commit to finish off the DDs.  His come back was the prophetic piece "That might just win the game for us".  I have to give equal credit to my team.  They knew how to play to take advantage of the strategic advantage we had with two DDs to none on epicenter match. 

Attack/Parry.  Be patient.  Look for weakness.  Pounce with all you got.  WOWS is a thinking man's game, and becomes more so at the high tiers.  This is a good think IMHO. (Freudian slip pun not intended).

Edit:  Oh, our CV guy also played well too, able to focus on harassing enemy while the enemy CV was focusing on our DDs.

​that was a good move, i wish there was a way they could reward people for times like this, as a aggressive player, i pull stuff like this also, and as i am dead and watching the battle, lots of times these moves break  open the battle and give your team the advantage to get the win

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,429 battles

well overall, think we can chalk this one up to another one of my failed bad ideas lol