You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
donaldEpott

A way to bring more Cruisers into battles.

452 comments in this topic

[TXGUN]
[TXGUN]
Members
4,596 posts
13,541 battles

I think that what WG needs to do is about double the rewards that Cruiser players get in relation to Battleships. Make it more profitable for a player to play Cruisers and leave battleships as they are. Likewise for Destroyers as well so there is a more balanced number. The problems with the battles is not how ships are being played but in how many of each are being played. 

• Cool 1

[ANKER]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,115 posts
7,282 battles

IMHO, the reason cruisers are a lot less popular now is that DDs have emerged to be more like cruisers without citadels. Since adding RUDDs, as well as adjustments to USN and IJN DD lines since CBT/OBT, the Destroyers are now better equipped at counter DD roles, whilst the reduction in CV efficiency, as well as the increase in BB AA has left little place for cruisers to really shine in the average players hands. In a good players hands, cruisers are one of the most overpowered classes in the game, but the skill gap between making them work and work well is significantly large.

• Cool 16

[REEF]
Beta Testers
914 posts
12,895 battles

During Beta and right after the Cruisers ruled the waves for some time.  Then WG started a nerf and turf war that left the Cruisers as no longer being desirable to play.  Cruisers used to be my favorite ships to play, now it's BB's.  I'm tired of getting in a match against BB's two tiers higher than my Cruiser, it's just not fun.  The Murmansk was the BEST Cruiser when the game launched.  Then it was smashed with the Nerf gun and now it's not worth playing, maddening after buying it. 

[ARPOG]
-Members-
870 posts
11,070 battles

I agree that cruiser gameplay needs to be encouraged, but doubling the rewards is going way too far. The main problem with cruisers is that they are fragile, and simple mistakes can lead to players getting deleted by an enemy battleship. This is not because they are weak ships (although there are some underpowered cruisers), but rather that the player skill requirement for doing well is a bit higher than in a battleship. 

Personally, I find cruisers to be my strongest class, with a good mixture of mobility, stealth and gunpower providing them the flexibility to excel in most situations. If any buffs are needed, perhaps slight stealth or RoF improvements could be considered. WG could consider a scaffold matchmaker, with a certain amount of places on the team reserved for cruisers, however in the current status quo, I don't think the issue is that significant. 

[TXGUN]
[TXGUN]
Members
4,596 posts
13,541 battles

IMHO, the reason cruisers are a lot less popular now is that DDs have emerged to be more like cruisers without citadels. Since adding RUDDs, as well as adjustments to USN and IJN DD lines since CBT/OBT, the Destroyers are now better equipped at counter DD roles, whilst the reduction in CV efficiency, as well as the increase in BB AA has left little place for cruisers to really shine in the average players hands. In a good players hands, cruisers are one of the most overpowered classes in the game, but the skill gap between making them work and work well is significantly large.

That is the other thing just simply getting owned by some dd that can chew a cruiser apart. I find that I really hate to face a russian dd with anything other then another dd.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,991 posts
760 battles

Exactly this. With a lot of cruisers, you'll notice people saying things like "It plays like a big DD". No, it's that the DD plays like a micro cruiser with no citadel..

The cruiser game is a tightrope. When it's fun, it's REALLY fun. When you get blasted off the map because someone got lucky and got 3 citadel hits on you, that's not a lot of fun.

Cruisers should be more durable (everything should be more durable, though. I honestly think EVERYTHING should have damage cut by 1/2, except maybe divebombers and torpedo bombers, even citadel pens) and the fear of being insta-gibbed would vanish too.Then more people would play them.

Maybe Citadels as a whole need to go away.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

That is the other thing just simply getting owned by some dd that can chew a cruiser apart. I find that I really hate to face a russian dd with anything other then another dd.

In a Khabarovsk the only two ships that are even slightly concerning in a 1v1 fight is the Zao and the Moskva.  Anything else, no problem.  High velocity strong HE.

Beta Testers
199 posts
2,837 battles

Exactly this. With a lot of cruisers, you'll notice people saying things like "It plays like a big DD". No, it's that the DD plays like a micro cruiser with no citadel..

The cruiser game is a tightrope. When it's fun, it's REALLY fun. When you get blasted off the map because someone got lucky and got 3 citadel hits on you, that's not a lot of fun.

Cruisers should be more durable (everything should be more durable, though. I honestly think EVERYTHING should have damage cut by 1/2, except maybe divebombers and torpedo bombers, even citadel pens) and the fear of being insta-gibbed would vanish too.Then more people would play them.

Maybe Citadels as a whole need to go away.

If they got rid of citadels yes a cruiser would be less likely to be one shot but taking a full salvo of penetrations from a BB with still do a third of their HP

4,991 posts
760 battles

If they got rid of citadels yes a cruiser would be less likely to be one shot but taking a full salvo of penetrations from a BB with still do a third of their HP

Unless it overpens for 10% damage, which is actually the likely thing to happen if they don't take a citadel penetration.

I find 33s to be very rare on cruisers. I either citadel them or I overpen them.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

I don't see any glaring problems with Cruisers atm.

Certainly the Cruisers need to avoid  BBs yet they can harass them.

Cruisers certainly do not need to fear DDs (it's the other way around).

CVs? Any other class loves to eat them if they can.

I have 21 ships, 9 of which are Cruisers.

I see Cruisers in every battle.

Perhaps, due to the recent Ger DD line there are more DDs atm.

BBs? There will always be BBs because players like the floating HP pinatas.

• Cool 1

4,991 posts
760 battles

See, that's the problem.

The game is set up so that cruisers counter DDs and DDs counter BBs.

But everyone wants the BBs to rush and play exp pinata so that they take the hits first.

If this is done than the cruisers are put directly in the line of fire for BBs.

You have a triangle of bad game design at that point and a lot of not-fun for everyone.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Unless it overpens for 10% damage, which is actually the likely thing to happen if they don't take a citadel penetration.

I find 33s to be very rare on cruisers. I either citadel them or I overpen them.

Or I overpen the Citadel and still get a citadel hit.

The issue with cruisers is you get punished hard for making any mistakes in them.

And then battleship players scream and howl that the cruisers are not there to hold their precious hands.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

I think that what WG needs to do is about double the rewards that Cruiser players get in relation to Battleships. Make it more profitable for a player to play Cruisers and leave battleships as they are. Likewise for Destroyers as well so there is a more balanced number. The problems with the battles is not how ships are being played but in how many of each are being played. 

Until cruisers stop being nuked for massive amounts of health with a single salvo, there will never be a sizeable cruiser population.
  • Cool 3

30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Until cruisers stop being nuked for massive amounts of health with a single salvo, there will never be a sizeable cruiser population.

Personally if they made the Citadel as hard to hit as the CBT Cleveland, problem would be fine.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

the true problem is the game design, with BB as a "counter" to cruisers.  Battleships should be nuking battleships, not pidding around with cruisers, and if it wasn't for fire damage, cruisers would give battleships no reason to NEED to go after them.

• Cool 1

Members
74 posts
10,659 battles

Limit BBs to 3 per team. Use 1 CV bot per team unless there is already a CV on team. Guaranteed CV in every match, now cruisers and AA builds are useful again.

30,523 posts
6,106 battles

the true problem is the game design, with BB as a "counter" to cruisers.  Battleships should be nuking battleships, not pidding around with cruisers, and if it wasn't for fire damage, cruisers would give battleships no reason to NEED to go after them.

Then cruisers would sit there with their thumbs up their tail pipes doing jack crap.

[DDM_]
Banned
1,680 posts
10,129 battles

Then cruisers would sit there with their thumbs up their tail pipes doing jack crap.

Or, you know, they could screen the BB's and the CV's and perform counter DD and Cruiser duty as they were designed to do in the first place. (in real life anyway)
Edited by R_Razor

30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Or, you know, they could screen the BB's and the CV's and perform counter DD and Cruiser duty as they were designed to do in the first place. (in real life anyway)

And explain how cruisers are going to do that when:

Carriers are a rarity, they can't properly hunt DDs because they get spotted then it's about 5 BBs screaming:

giphy.gif

So please, explain how cruisers are supposed to screen BBs when they have none of the tools to do so without being obliterated, or sitting so far out of the action they really aren't doing jack because half the BBs are sitting in the back?

Please, enlighten me.

• Cool 5

Beta Testers
156 posts
1,427 battles

Carriers are a rarity, they can't properly hunt DDs because they get spotted then it's about 5 BBs screaming:

giphy.gif

So please, explain how cruisers are supposed to screen BBs when they have none of the tools to do so without being obliterated, or sitting so far out of the action they really aren't doing jack because half the BBs are sitting in the back?

Please, enlighten me.

I think BBs need to take a nurf to there weapon accuracy. it's to easy for me to land hits at long range. 
  • Cool 2

[DDM_]
Banned
1,680 posts
10,129 battles

giphy.gif

Please, enlighten me.

If you, with the number of games you've played, and the above average stats you have in your signature, are incapable of figuring out that a cruiser can do more than hide and invisisnipe then I don't know what else to tell you. I'm betting the BB players in the game would be more willing to be aggressive if the cruiser players in this game didn't think that all they can do is invisisnipe and hide behind islands. Being spotted doesn't mean being killed, unless you make yourself an easy target for the BB's by sailing in a nice straight line at the same speed anyway. I see plenty of cruiser players dodge BB shells when I play. Your opinion my vary of course.

Like the meme though, give you credit  for that.

Edited by R_Razor

30,523 posts
6,106 battles

If you, with the number of games you've played, and the above average stats you have in your signature, are incapable of figuring out that a cruiser can do more than hide and invisisnipe then I don't know what else to tell you. I'm betting the BB players in the game would be more willing to be aggressive if the cruiser players in this game didn't think that all they can do is invisisnipe and hide behind islands. Being spotted doesn't mean being killed, unless you make yourself an easy target for the BB's by sailing in a nice straight line at the same speed anyway. I see plenty of cruiser players dodge BB shells when I play. Your opinion my vary of course.

Like the meme though, give you credit  for that.

Let's see what aggressive play gets you as a cruiser. A BAD CASE OF DEAD.

You push up, guess who gets targeted first. CRUISERS. I don't know how else to explain this to you.

• Cool 5

Beta Testers
156 posts
1,427 battles

Let's see what aggressive play gets you as a cruiser. A BAD CASE OF DEAD.

You push up, guess who gets targeted first. CRUISERS. I don't know how else to explain this to you.

then nurf BBs. then give all CAs heal. that a start.

Members
268 posts
4,012 battles

Or you can just give up the role of hunting DDs and anti-air. Instead, you get Demolition expert and rudder mod 3 along with spotting aircraft to spam HE at maximum range. Very toxic gameplay style, but it will get you tons of damage.

• Cool 1