You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
King_Gooby

Should I buy the Gearing or keep the Fletcher?

18 comments in this topic

Members
60 posts
2,620 battles

I really like the Fletcher, it's probably one of my favorite ships but I'm closing to researching the Gearing. If I do, it'll be my second tier X ship, lemme hear y'all's opinions on this

[A-D-F]
Members
7,879 posts
44,086 battles

Why not both?

I kept Fletcher and have both. No reason whatsoever to sell Fletcher.

All you need is an extra port slot and a captain to train. Once you have both at 15+ pts you are golden.

[TF16A]
[TF16A]
Members
506 posts
11,528 battles

Buy the Gearing and keep the Fletcher.  When I unlocked the Gearing, I kept my 15 point captain on the Fletcher and moved a 10 point captain from a ship I didn't play anymore to the Gearing.

[EF21]
Members
676 posts
47,729 battles

I'm 45 K from the Gearing. Credits are not an issue and I have a captain to move over. I'll be keeping both.

[B2P]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

I enjoyed Fletcher more than Gearing. Its torps come up more quickly. I sold my Gearing after 7 games in which I sucked, and went back to Fletch, which I enjoy and play well. 

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,359 battles

I also kept the Benson because its a terror in Ranked with a 17 point captain.

Hell, Bear; it's a terror in ranked with a 15 point Captain.

Basically, it's just a terror.

Members
5,454 posts
21,236 battles

Hell, Bear; it's a terror in ranked with a 15 point Captain.

Basically, it's just a terror.

The first game in my Benson post Ranked, was like clubbing baby seals. I was running around setting fires, torpedoing ships in the face, sinking underage boats and generally causing havoc on the high seas. Finished the match with like 140k damage. I was having so much fun I've taken a break from Tier 8 just to be fair to the other players. 

:trollface:

[CHEEZ]
Members
2,614 posts
4,956 battles

I have both... actually all three.... Benson, Fletcher and Gearing.

Although, I rarely sail Gearing right now, as I am trying to build at least a 15 point captain for it on a lower tier ship. My first 50-75 games in Gearing were with a 16 point captain, and it was a decent experience. I decided I liked Fletcher better, moved the 16 point captain to Fletcher, and now my Gearing sits.

In the 30 games in Gearing after moving the commander and assigning one with 12 points, my win rate in Gearing has fallen from 55 to 47% and it is infuriating me. All the while, my win rate in fletcher has climbed from 54 to 56% and my Benson (with a 12 point commander mind you) has stayed steady at 63%.

I find it really flustering that I can have more impact in a tier 8-9-10 match, with either Benson or Fletcher, than I can in Gearing.

I am getting to the point were I believe that most t10 ships are barely, if not, not competitive without an appropriately skilled, and built commander.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,359 battles

I've taken a break from Tier 8 just to be fair to the other players.

RNGeezus!! Will SOMEBODY get this man a medal for Christsakes?!?!?!
  • Cool 1

[LAG]
WoWS Community Contributors
3 posts
16,618 battles

I say keep both. I'd read where people didn't buy the Gearing because the Fletcher was "better" and so I didn't hurry to get a Gearing. Well, when it went on sale I bought one and I've got to say... it's a fantastic ship. Something it can do that the Fletcher isn't great at is fight bow on (like other USN ships at higher tiers). It can put 4 guns on a target bow on, which is crazy - because it makes the thing damn near unhittable.

If you can have both, I say get both! If I HAD to choose between the two, knowing what I know now, I'd go with the Gearing (and keep the Benson, like everyone says).

Members
60 posts
2,620 battles

Well I bought the Gearing and kept the Fletcher, played a few games in the Gearing and decided it wasn't for me. The extra 3K of health is nice, but I feel the Fletcher is a far superior ship so I sold the Gearing to get my credits back. I feel like most of the tier IX's are the better choice for some lines

Edited by King_Gooby