Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_Zeka

PSA: Wise use of Damacon Party

7 comments in this topic

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,379 posts
14,209 battles

Not really a PSA, but more of an effort to correct a mistake people make all the time. **Now, just a disclaimer: This does not mean everybody. I've said these sort of disclaimers before and I still seemed to have trigger some people regardless. If you long mastered this advanced art (Yes, advanced. I said it> Might as well be classified as advanced given how few people realize this)**

Fire and Flooding are the two main sources of DoT (Damage over Time). Fires can be caused by an HE Shell, a direct bomb hit, or secondary batteries. Flooding is caused by torpedo hits (Ship and Aerial), and from ramming. These two game mechanics have long been regarded as one of the most scrublord things in the game, and have multiple forum threads started to complain about them being overpowered and needing nerfs, But all of this is hogwash. For starters, HE has a very low alpha strike, and relies upon either A.) A fast RoF, or B.) Fire. Focusing more on the first option, DDs of any nation and low tier USN/IJN and the entire VMF line is something that all these have in common. Their faster RoF makes their low alpha strikes somewhat negate-able via fast salvos striking the target ever few seconds, with that damage soon adding up over time, and withering the target down that way. Fire, on the other hand, is a whole nother matter. BBs tend to be very upset over this mechanic being overpower but to put things simply: ITS NOT. To BBs and high tier CAs everywhere: It, is. NOT. Frustrating? Yes. Overpowered? No. Here's why:

NOTE: The following info is directly from the WoWS Wiki. This is NOT my own work. You can find the full article HERE 

"Damage dealt by each instance of fire on a ship is fixed as 0.3% of its total health pool per fire per second (0.4% for aircraft carriers). Each fire has a base duration of 60 seconds, meaning that a fire which is allowed to burn for the full duration will consume 18% of a ship's maximum health (24% for carriers). Captains of capital ships — aircraft carriers and battleships — can quickly see, then, that while one fire might be considered a nuisance, two or more are a major threat to their ship."

But that only applies to a single fire. The above information is true per fire. So, if your ship was burning in two locations, take the above equation and essentially double it. Same goes for three fires. And four. But the main point here of ALL of this is this: The biggest mistake *ALMOST ALL PLAYERS* make is: Wasting your Damacon Party on ONE FIRE. Here's the deal: A single fire will not kill you (Unless you're on low HP, about 10k or less HP, then yes, go ahead and put it out). A full duration fire will generally do about roughly anywhere between 8-12k damage to a target such as a BB or CV, who are the primary recipients of HE fire. But is putting out a single fire worth burning over 2 more 15 seconds later? No. It's not. This is where the wise use of your Damacon Party comes into play. If you get set of fire: Don't put it out immediately. Doing so will generally not end well for you. When you get set on fire in a single location, JUST LET IT BURN. IT WILL NOT KILL YOU. When you get set on fire in two locations, still don't put it out immediately. Two fires, yes the damage adds up faster, but it is still manageable. 3 fires is when you want to use the Damacon. That will not only take care of multiple fires potential, but it also saves you from burning more and more then had you burned it on a single fire. If you're confused on what I mean, here's an example. Say you're sailing around in a BB, all of a sudden a CL or CA pops up in front of you. Said Cruiser starts firing HE at your BB and sets it ablaze. You put it out. After your window of immunity to fire, the CL sets you alight again, this time in 2 locations. On top of it, a DD pops up on the flank and sets a third fire. Then the focused HE fire from both enemies as well as the DoT from the 3 fires, you die a rather quick death, because you burned your Damacon early on a single fire instead of saving it for when you actually needed it. When you SAVE your Damacon for when your need it instead of when you get set ablaze in only a single location, you are putting out 3 fires, as well as rendering yourself invulnerable from further DoT for a brief period of time, AS WELL as resetting the fires on your ship, meaning that the enemy has to work even harder to get to the point where you're burning in 3 spots again. Compared to wasting it on a single fire, you are only putting out a single fire and opening yourself up to more HE spam, because the enemy won't have to work as hard to kill you, as your Damacon Party was burned early and is therefore on cooldown. As a result, 3-4 fires will just have to burn the full duration and will do about 35k+ damage to you from fires alone compared to the roughly 10k damage from a single fire. Bottom line: Use your Damacon Wisely. It is one of the biggest tools you have that increases your ship's survivability exponentially, so long as you use it wisely.

This here is WHY people think HE and fire is OP. Think about this: HE vs AP, and the physiological effects that both have on the mentality of average players. When you eat a full AP salvo for like 1-15-20k, sometimes even more, your brain reacts with the typical "AW CRAP!" or  "@#$% THAT HURT!" But after that, its over. 5 seconds (or less) you've pretty much moved on and everything is back to normal. But with HE and fire, then you're just sitting there watching your HP pool slowly melt away. Watching that HP just slowly melt away right in front of you drives your brain mad. You instinctively want to put the fire out, and stop the HP bleeding, but since your Damacon is on cooldown, it can't, So starting now: FIGHT that mentality. Next time you get set on fire, and your brain has your finger reach for the R key, stop yourself and say "@#$% you, brain! I don't need to listen to you!" But if your brain is telling you to shoot back at the enemy, you may want to listen to it then, unless you're in a DD or CA and you're about to fall back into stealth. 

Of course, there are exceptions to this. If you're set on fire while you're retreating and you fall into cover behind something like a large mountian or even another teammate, and you're no longer under fire, then yes, feel free to put the fire out. Just be careful not to stray into the line of fire until your Damacon is back up again, however (This does NOT mean sit at the back and snipe!!!)

As far as torpedoes and flooding are concerned, then your best defense is your ability to employ WASD hacks, as shown by iChaseGaming here:

As for air-dropped torpedoes are concerned, your best defense is the rest of your team. Stay near your cruisers and other battleships and mass your AAA firepower. This will usually deter an enemy CV from attacking any of your group and will generally go elsewhere to find a less dangerous target.

Should a torp hit you and cause flooding, my hand hurts from typing all that other stuff out so I'll just say this: Damage from flooding HURTS. If you start flooding, then yes, use your Damacon to get it under control. Flooding damage hurts more then fire, lasts longer, and in most cases WILL kill you unless you have a massive amount of HP remaining. 

Flooding Wiki Article http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Flooding

Whenever I see someone who makes this mistake, I just see wasted potential. Such a simple(?) thing to do, and yet so few people seem to do it. I want to see people get better at the game. Even if they're an enemy. Friend of foe alike, I want to see people get better. I want to help them get better. I always pick unfair fights, but those are because well, thats what DDs depend on. Im a DD main, after all. DD-"Maining" aside, this here has hopefully taught you something useful. Try it out ingame. You may be surprised at the results..... Hope this helps! See you on the seas. :D

Edited by BlueMistPvP

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

Wisely using your damage control party is definitely one of the biggest hurdles to improving. Even today I still reflex press the R button.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,869 posts
4,864 battles

Fire prevents plane launch/recover.

...oh wait, carriers are only played by bots!

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,756 battles

I'll use it on one fire under this circumstance only: If I'm being attacked by multiple ships(3 or more) and am close to breaking detection(Islands, another ship between us, range), because the RP lasts long enough to negate what they do to me in that period of time. In open water and under normal conditions, I won't use it till I need to, including when I'm about toast and that fire will murder me hardcore in less than 3 seconds.

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

All BB players...do NOT do this!  It's a trick!  He's a dirty, dirty DD driver...you CANNOT trust him.  ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use your damage control as soon as possible any time you take ANY damage.

Sincerely, in brotherhood and trust, 

A Cruiser/DD Captain You Can Trust (I swear!)

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,379 posts
14,209 battles

All BB players...do NOT do this!  It's a trick!  He's a dirty, dirty DD driver...you CANNOT trust him.  ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use your damage control as soon as possible any time you take ANY damage.

Sincerely, in brotherhood and trust, 

A Cruiser/DD Captain You Can Trust (I swear!)

Can't tell if ur saying that jokingly or seriously lol

Sign in to follow this