Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CybrSlydr

Outfitting an Iowa

28 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

So, I've decided I want an Iowa.  Something to occasionally play because I like the ship, despite it being garbage in game.

What's considered the best way to outfit it these days?  Module and Captain wise?

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Could always go full concealment. It's always nerve wracking to watch an Iowa appear at 12km and go "HORRY SHEET!"

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Could always go full concealment. It's always nerve wracking to watch an Iowa appear at 12km and go "HORRY SHEET!"

Dispersion reduction or reload?

I'm thinking dispersion reduction.

Edited by CybrSlydr

[DESU]
Members
182 posts
4,892 battles

Full Concealment, 

Dispersion is good as reload, it's more personal preference.

Reload sacrifices turret traverse but gives better DPM, being more accurate is also a pretty big benefit and having turret traverse really helps for knife fights. 

30,523 posts
6,106 battles

I'd personally go for dispersion reduction. But I don't have an Iowa yet, only on NM.  I'm just talking from experience of suddenly IOWA and a face full of 16 inch shells.

I mean really, Iowa can get down to a 12km detection range, but we can't get a Pensacola down that low?

169bf17d969529aeddf73528387b11cd52ff7117

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Full Concealment, 

Dispersion is good as reload, it's more personal preference.

Reload sacrifices turret traverse but gives better DPM, being more accurate is also a pretty big benefit and having turret traverse really helps for knife fights. 

Sounds good - took a my Colorado captain who has 12 points and put him in the Iowa.  Starts off with Basics of Survivability, BFT and AFT.

EDIT:  Woof, Iowa is expensive to buy from naught!  Took about 30m credits to kit it out.  Plus 500dlbs to retrain the captain.  lol

Edited by CybrSlydr

Beta Testers
1,198 posts
2,732 battles

Honestly the Iowa is garbage the North Carolina is much better ship plus you don't see 10 a ton if play popular hours. I am seriously considering blowing my 200k of free exp to never be in that dam ship again. Which I was saving for Baltimore but my drive to grind that fail line just died at the average NO.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
1,111 posts
45,217 battles

I like the Iowa( as well as my Missouri!)

I use reload on both, and fight from 12 to 15 k...reload is better than dispersion when you fight close! 

• Cool 1

Members
816 posts

I run iowa concealment/AA with dispersion reduction.  MFC on Iowa's are a laugh vs CV's wipe out 4 of 5 planes in a squadron before they drop. Iowa's arent bad but the [edited]cit that WG gave them makes them just heavy cruisers NOT battleships. First 3 rules of playing Iowa.

#1 Don't show your side!

#2 Don't show your side!

#3 Don't show your side!

Edited by JToney3449

[NDA]
Beta Testers
5,251 posts
8,893 battles

you shouldn't blame your tools if you cant use them. 

• Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

you shouldn't blame your tools if you cant use them. 

Here we go, Wo loves his Iowa...

I'll transfer over what I built my Iowa for from another thread:

Captain Skills:

-Tier 1: Basics of Survivability, BFT

-Tier 2: Expert Marksman

-Tier 3: Superintendent, Vigilance (once I have a 19-point captain, i.e. never)

-Tier 4: AFT

-Tier 5: Concealment Expert

Modules:

-Auxiliary Armaments Mod 1

-AA Guns Mod 2

-Main Battery Mod 3

-Damage Control System Mod 1

-Steering Gears Mod 2

-Target Acquisition System Mod 1/Concealment System Mod 1 (depending on how many DDs I see in queue)

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Well, Iowa is the quite as bad as I remember.  Those citadel shots are just brutal.  Really have to be careful going around islands and stuff. 

[BUN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,591 posts
5,060 battles

Wisconsin is life :honoring:

FTFY ;)

30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Well, Iowa is the quite as bad as I remember.  Those citadel shots are just brutal.  Really have to be careful going around islands and stuff. 

Considering I citadeled one at 17km with a Bismarck, you ain't lyin about that one. Someone really screwed up on Iowa's armor. it isn't that damn weak.

[SPTR]
Members
20,155 posts
6,159 battles

Am a new Iowa player.

I much like the 26sec reload at 14km range, because of the topkek concealment (did not fully retrain 15 point captain)

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Considering I citadeled one at 17km with a Bismarck, you ain't lyin about that one. Someone really screwed up on Iowa's armor. it isn't that damn weak.

It really is obscene.  It's like a WG middle-finger to the US.  Oh wait, that's most of the US BB line...

30,523 posts
6,106 battles

It really is obscene.  It's like a WG middle-finger to the US.  Oh wait, that's most of the US BB line...

Sad part is, it wasn't a belt hit, I hit the DECK ARMOR. That shouldn't happen.

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Sad part is, it wasn't a belt hit, I hit the DECK ARMOR. That shouldn't happen.

The thing that really irks me is that this ridiculous Citadel is carrying over to the SoDak, which was LITERALLY constructed to be better protected than the North Carolina class - BUT IT HAS ITS CITADEL OUT OF THE WATER.  Inconceivable.

Members
672 posts
2,946 battles

Iowa for my personal use:

Full concealment build with dispersion module.  Play ninja, always plan to vanish after every shot unless you know no one is going to shoot at you in the next 40 seconds.  Don't take any main battery range range upgrades, they're completely counter-intuitive to staying invisible until you can ambush a target from stealth.  

If you have to turn while detected (torpedoes, enemy cruisers/DDs appearing from stealth, etc...) then just throw the rudder over, take your hands off the keyboard and mouse, sip your beer, reach your zen place, and accept that you are liable to get deleted faster than an Omaha.  If you survive, try to disappear and re position.

Sign in to follow this