Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HolyWaterCow

How are the higher tier (8-10) German DDs?

8 comments in this topic

[R-SKY]
Members
67 posts
25,011 battles

Are the tier 8+ German DDs worth "aspiring" to? What outstanding qualities do they have?

I'm finding the German DDs so far (currently at tier 6) to be quite underwhelming. Most notable issue to me is that the German DDs don't have any outstanding specific strengths and therefore lack a clear a role to perform.

For example (imo).....

USN DDs suited for close range: excellent guns for close range fighting, solid torps, very good concealment, and best smokes.

Russian DD suited for mid range: excellent guns for mid-long range fighting, incredible speed, and very good survivability.

IJN DDs suited for long range: excellent torps (most powerful, long range, and fast), very good concealment, and quite manageable invisible firing.

German DDs, so far in my experience, seem to be an attempt to have a more well-rounded DD but for a DD that's not exactly a good thing. In practice, a well-rounded DD means a very unclear role for the ship because it doesn't really excel at anything. It's not very good 1v1 against other DDs, it can't invisi-fire cruisers/BBs (fire a shot and every1 on the whole map knows where you are), the torp range is barely greater than concealment range, and the guns have looping trajectories with sloppy dispersion.

The only qualities that I can identify are pretty good maneuverability and fairly fast torp reload (insanely fast at the lower tiers). If those are all they have to offer going forward then that's the end of the line for me.

So...... do any specific traits significantly improve in the tier 8+ German DDs? Or should we just write off the German DD line as one massive disappointment that should be avoided like the plague?

Edited by HolyWaterCow

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
596 posts
6,464 battles

Are the tier 8+ German DDs worth "aspiring" to? What outstanding qualities do they have?

I'm finding the German DDs so far (currently at tier 6) to be quite underwhelming. Most notable issue to me is that the German DDs don't have any outstanding specific strengths and therefore lack a clear a role to perform.

For example (imo).....

USN DDs suited for close range: excellent guns for close range fighting, solid torps, very good concealment, and best smokes.

Russian DD suited for mid range: excellent guns for mid-long range fighting, incredible speed, and very good survivability.

IJN DDs suited for long range: excellent torps (most powerful, long range, and fast), very good concealment, and quite manageable invisible firing.

German DDs, so far in my experience, seem to be more well-rounded than the other DDs but in practice it translates to not excelling at anything. The role of the German DD is unclear. It's not very good 1v1 against other DDs, it can't invisi-fire cruisers/BBs, torp range is barely greater than concealment range, and the guns have looping trajectories with sloppy dispersion.

The only qualities that I can identify are good maneuverability and fairly fast torp reload (insanely fast at the lower tiers).

So...... do any specific traits significantly improve in the tier 8+ German DDs? Or should we just write off the German DD line as one massive disappointment that should be avoided.

r7H9Ilu.gif

Ah... somehow the perception of the IJN DDs hasn't changed still... I mean, drop the torps part, and yeah, you've got it right. They're good at hiding, but invisifiring is set to be removed, soooooo...

We're talking Tier 8 and up here. The IJN torps are crippled by their detection, and aren't much better than USN torps, especially at tier 9, where the differences between Fletcher and Yugumo torps are in "ones and under". 0.5 km longer range for Fletcher torps, 1 knot faster for Yugumo torps, and 1 k more damage for Yugumo torps.

As for the German issue, I can say that i might end up grinding them. Once I've run out of other ships to grind. If I decide to be a completionist. This is regarding their current form of course. Should some deserved buffs somehow save them, I'll look at them much sooner.

Edited by Destroyer_Radford

[R-SKY]
Members
67 posts
25,011 battles

r7H9Ilu.gif

Ah... somehow the perception of the IJN DDs hasn't changed still... I mean, drop the torps part, and yeah, you've got it right. They're good at hiding, but invisifiring is set to be removed, soooooo...

We're talking Tier 8 and up here. The IJN torps are crippled by their detection, and aren't much better than USN torps, especially at tier 9, where the differences between Fletcher and Yugumo torps are in "ones and under". 0.5 km longer range for Fletcher torps, 1 knot faster for Yugumo torps, and 1 k more damage for Yugumo torps.

As for the German issue, I can say that i might end up grinding them. Once I've run out of other ships to grind. If I decide to be a completionist. This is regarding their current form of course. Should some deserved buffs somehow save them, I'll look at them much sooner.

Well I played the IJN DD tree prior to the change so I can't comment on the new Fubuki, new Kagero, and Yugomo since I haven't played them. Akizuki is incredible (def not a typical IJN DD though). Shimakazes torps are incredible still. Yes the 20km torps were nerfed but the shorter range torps, particularily the 8km torps, are devastating. 15 torps moving at 76 (or w/e the speed) from 8km will sink any BB/cruiser that you choose to go after. Either way, enough talk about IJN DDs. Let's talk krauts.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
596 posts
6,464 battles

I've only touched the T-22 so far, but I can say that if that's the kind of flavor which carries on, even the improvements which come with uptiering won't save them for me. At least the Nicholas, if you're willing to accept a bit sloppier maneuverability, can postpone it's move to rainbow shells. You've got bad HE, "good" AP,  and concealment while firing which makes a non-firing Pepsi feel sorry for you. The hydro is a bit too gimmicky. It won't give you advance sight on an enemy DDs except in smoke afaik (or if it does, not very good advance, and they've probably seen you first), and against a USN DD who is smart and sees you coming, they'll wait to kill you first, and then pop smoke.

Edited by Destroyer_Radford

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

German DDs are what the IJN DDs used to be, or what they are in the OP if you want a more clear-cut example.  The emphasis is a little more on guns than torpedoes, but otherwise the Germans are long-range boats with hydro to aid in getting up close.

Members
652 posts

Just started with Gaede (free-xp'd all before - maybe later). With 15pt CE captain it seems quite well performing on T6 (considering you mostly shoveled into T7-T8 games so T6 sucks same as T5). Usually IJN DD is somewhat easy prey, USN can be issue if close range and you don't have smoke+hydro+torps ready. In close quarters smoke+hydro is very strong combo if you properly use them. 150mm is meh - burn staff good but not a game changer and since not affected by AFT (didn't try DE with it and don't think I will - wasting doubloons to respec captains getting annoying after one year of spending) I'd say 128mm is the way. Torps are good, but flooding is rare and damage is meh. So yeah - you should use them every opportunity just don't expect many devastating strikes. Overall I think line is interesting and WG succeeded in bringing more diversity. Will try Maas soon.

Edited by anonym_LreZfNvihoej

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, In AlfaTesters
1,119 posts
24,125 battles

They're all pretty solidly meh except for Z-52, which for some reason gets German range on her hydro where the rest of the line doesn't. The extra 1.2 kilometers of range on her hydro compared to Z-46 makes a world of difference in playability and actually lets her fight other destroyers effectively.

Side note/tip, when using AP DO NOT aim for the main armor belt of anything unless you are below 3.5km. The 128mm German AP shell has less than 100mm of penetration until you get within 3.5km, so just aim for superstructure.

Members
74 posts
10,659 battles

The tier 8 Z-23 is definitely worth grinding to. I think the tier 7 is very good as well.

The z-23 has 150mm gun option which is really fun. You can kill broadside cruisers in 2-3 salvos with the AP and the HE starts a lot of fires. The torpedos are excellent with short cooldown, long range, and low detection. With survial expert the ship has a massive health pool. The hydro range is 4.2 km which lets you kill smoke camping DD. Ive had no problems taking out fletcher and yugumo with this tier 8.

If next ranked season includes tier 8 i think we will be seeing a lot of this ship.

Sign in to follow this