Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Astryd

Profile Privacy : Private by Default

5 comments in this topic

Members
47 posts

Isn't it fair to have the profile service opt-in by default, rather than opt-out?

We have the option to set it private, but we don't get reminded about the feature in the tutorial or anywhere else every so often.

I guess having a new player jump into the game and stat-shamed by disgruntled stat warriors are't exactly healthy for the game in the long run.

And please note that 3rd party sites mine and store the data and milk them for advertising revenue even after the player set it for private.

Although I enjoy showing off outdated & false stats, but It'll also be fun to watch them frustrated when the search completely fails from time to time.

• Cool 1

[COB45]
Members
1,011 posts
3,472 battles

Not much stat shaming here this is not even close to WOT blitz where if you have average stats you cant say anything

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

You're more likely to get stat shamed with a private profile. The only reason to hide it is to conceal stats. If they aren't bad, most people don't want to conceal then because it's hard to brag about classified information. 

If people stat shame a new player after looking the guy up and seeing he's new, they're imbeciles anyway. Ignore what they have to say, or report and block them. A few times I've been pretty mean to someone, looked and found like 500 battles and only like 4 on the ship they're driving and felt really bad about it. When that sort of thing happens I usually try to PM them an apology and if they want it, offer legit advice or point to someone like iChase who is really good to learn from. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

Isn't it fair to have the profile service opt-in by default, rather than opt-out?

We have the option to set it private, but we don't get reminded about the feature in the tutorial or anywhere else every so often.

I guess having a new player jump into the game and stat-shamed by disgruntled stat warriors are't exactly healthy for the game in the long run.

And please note that 3rd party sites mine and store the data and milk them for advertising revenue even after the player set it for private.

Although I enjoy showing off outdated & false stats, but It'll also be fun to watch them frustrated when the search completely fails from time to time.

If you set your stats to private on/in WoWS, 3rd party sites have no access to your "current" data, that being data generated after you went private. I know this to be true because I've tested the API. 

If it has changed then such a change would require a notice from WoWS because that would be an alteration of the terms of service, don't you think?