Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sovereigndawg

Want LWMouse's (or others) Help on upgrade TASM1 slot 6

17 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
12,057 posts
21,291 battles

Setting up my Edinburgh and although I read the wiki onTASM1 for slot 6, it's so vague, (and has been for previous builds)  I don't trust what it says. It says this;

Increases maximum acquisition range:

• +50% to range of assured acquisition of enemy ships.
  • +20% to spotting range.
  • +20% to the acquisition range of torpedoes.

and it also says this;

The spotting mechanics ignore line-of-sight obstacles — such as islands — when within a short distance from an enemy. That's the "assured acquisition" range. Stacks with Vigilance when spotting torpedoes.

I am assuming that the plus 20% to spotting range means that, if say, a dd has a spotting range of 6km that I will be able to be spotted it at 7.2 km, or is it Assured acquisition 50% (this is what I don't get) that I will spot it at 9km even if an island is in the way.

The wiki is so vague as to be misleading or virtually unhelpful in my decision between stealth 10% or acquisition 20% or maybe 50%. It's the line of sight thing that casts the question. What in this case is, and what does a short distance mean? Can I spot a dd with a 6 km detection at 7.2 km or 9 km or neither? because if I am in a dd and I think I can't be seen for 6 km but I actually can be seen at 7.2 or 9 km because someone has TASM1 (Target Acquisition System Modification 1) on? This is by far the most confusing upgrade in the game, and it could be the most important one to have or not have, depending on what it really entails.

If I don't get concealment system, which is -10% for a dd and I get TASM1 does that mean I can see a dd 20% further than it's detection range? Or say I get concealment on my own dd and for arguments sake, say it was 6 km , so now -10%, 5.4 km but a ship with TASM1 can then see me at 6.48 km (20%) or  8.1 km (50%)?

As I comprehend the wiki on TASM1 it is a much stronger upgrade than concealment but the 20%, 50% and the term short in (The spotting mechanics ignore line-of-sight obstacles — such as islands — when within a short distance from an enemy. That's the "assured acquisition" range)  I can't wrap my mind around, did I miss something in calculus or am I just getting Alzheimer's?

So Little Mouse (or another) with much Knowing of all things WOW , Whats the real poop on this vague little topic? Thanks in advance for your response. If you don't respond thanks for all of your help from previous responses. You are truly a boon to this game and this forum. Appreciated, you are. If not by all, at least by me! Do You have a fan site?

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

This is what it means:

-Ships are auto-detected at 3km now, instead of 2km. Auto-detecting means that you will see the enemy ship no matter if there's smoke or an island between you and the target.

-This means that your maximum spotting range is increased. So no, enemy ships won't be easier to detect. 

-Does what it says, makes torps easier to spot. 

IMO, concealment mod is a much better choice for cruisers. 

• Cool 1

[KTKM]
Beta Testers
4,633 posts
4,076 battles

"maximum spotting range" is your "render range"

If a ship is outside of your render range, they will not be spotted by you and will not be rendered even if they're spotted by someone else. They will remain in concealment even if you are within their detection range.

Your "assured acquisition" range is called the "proxy range" which is the range at which ships will be spotted no matter what, even if they are within smoke.

• Cool 2

[FG]
Members
566 posts
5,003 battles

AFAIK they mean this:

- The assured acquisition range is the range at which you will spot an enemy ship regardless of  smoke or islands between you. This distance is 2km. The 50% increase to this range means you will auto detect ships at 3km. Very useful for cruisers and battleships that are likely to aggressively push smoke. It has no affect on a ship's detection outside of this range. 

- Spotting range is the distance at which you can see enemy ships that have been spotted by friendlies. You can see this "cone" on your minimap. 

- Torpedoes are simply spotted earlier. As for whether it stacks with Hydro and/or Vigilance is something a more knowledgeable person will have to answer.

Go for concealment for the Edinburgh. RN cruisers need all the concealment they can get.

Edited by SovereignEagle
  • Cool 1

[KTKM]
Beta Testers
4,633 posts
4,076 battles

- Torpedoes are simply spotted earlier. As for whether it stacks with Hydro and/or Vigilance is something a more knowledgeable person will have to answer.

It multiplies with Vigilance, so 1.2 * 1.25 = 1.5, or a 50% bonus.

No idea on Hydro.

• Cool 1

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

It multiplies with Vigilance, so 1.2 * 1.25 = 1.5, or a 50% bonus.

No idea on Hydro.

I'm pretty sure it does not stack with HAS, from my experience playing my Mogami with HAS and vigilance. 
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
12,057 posts
21,291 battles

Allrighty then more confused than ever accept for the acquisition range part which I garnered the 2 k 3 k in smoke thing from previous posts I see that the 2k 3k thing applies to islands now too right?

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[PVE]
Members
12,057 posts
21,291 battles

Ok if my dd says 6k I can't be spotted for 6k? 6 k being an example of course. in smoke or behind island it would be 2 or 3k. I think I understand better now I want concealment on my Edenborough rather than acquisition

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Ok if my dd says 6k I can't be spotted for 6k? 6 k being an example of course. in smoke or behind island it would be 2 or 3k. I think I understand better now I want concealment on my Edenborough

Are you talking about the maximum acquisition range? The concealment ranges and max. acq. ranges are two different things. Concealment range is when other ships can spot you. Max acquisition range is when you can render enemy ships that are not spotted. This is always much higher than your gun range, so there's no point of buffing it unless you're going to be spamming torps from 15+ KMs. 
  • Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
12,057 posts
21,291 battles

it's the spotting range that's elusive to me. does the spotting range change concealment? like spotting range is 6k say but other ship has + 20% is my concealment then + 20% might not have stated that right.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[PVE]
Members
12,057 posts
21,291 battles

and thanks all for the response +1 to you all, and Merry Xmas or Christmas if you think Xmas is not PC.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[FG]
Members
566 posts
5,003 battles

it's the spotting range that's elusive to me. does the spotting range change concealment? like spotting range is 6k say but other ship has + 20% is my concealment then + 20% might not have stated that right.

Spotting range is to do with your sight. Has nothing to do with your or the enemy ship's concealment. The biggest example of this is during a cyclone when your spotting range is completely limited to ~8km. You can't see anything outside this range. This is exactly the same as your normal spotting range except it is usually a lot farther than that. I don't see this being useful for anything except for battleships. 

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
12,057 posts
21,291 battles

Think I am understanding thanks much Aloha Nui Loa. Concealment is the best choice unless attacking smoke a lot.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Spotting range is to do with your sight. Has nothing to do with your or the enemy ship's concealment. The biggest example of this is during a cyclone when your spotting range is completely limited to ~8km. You can't see anything outside this range. This is exactly the same as your normal spotting range except it is usually a lot farther than that. I don't see this being useful for anything except for battleships. 

Pretty much the best explanation possible. 

[PVE]
Members
12,057 posts
21,291 battles

Thanks all I think I've got it, Still think LWM is one of the best things this game is got going for it kudos to you all and her too.

[MAUS]
Members
13,684 posts

IKU19 knocked this one out of the park while I was still sleeping.  :)

Hydroacoustic Search is not affected by this module (sadly) -- at least in so far as I've been able to deduce.

Sign in to follow this