USN_BB_Iowa

Iowa

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

53 posts in this topic

Wow! this is what a Battleship SHOULD feel like playing. finally got Iowa after a month of grinding almost nonstop. im really satisfied with how Merica/10 this ship is.

1. Massive American Guns

2. looks great

3. is fast for a BB

4. great secondaries

5. a Mustang as it's fighter???? YES

6. Kancolle Iowa Skin Mod>>>>??? oh yeah.

why does this play like NC but feel much more solid? it drives well, and that increased shell velocity is nice! i feel like i can finally predict the arc. im very pleased with this ship!

8/10

Not sure why you would consider the Iowa a more solid ship, considering her citadel sits above the waterline, while the NC's does not. I mean, the Iowa is a peach, but I wouldn't consider her the most stout ship in the game. 

Regardless, I'm looking forward to getting one again when I finally grab the Missouri. It'll be a good day.

I am glad you are enlightened to the ways of Iowa.  once you go Iowa it feels like a perfect upgrade from NC. 

NC is a good in her own way,  but Iowa is better except in turning radius.   

Only recently started playing my Iowa, and after a few rather unfortunate battles of me trying to get the hang of her, I started to really like her, she is a very solid ship if you angle her armor correctly 

considering her citadel sits above the waterline, while the NC's does not.

did not feel that way while i was touring Citadel City; Population: My Ship.

like i said i enjoy sailing this ship vs. that one.

Edited by SourNote666

umm actually its and seaplane Variant of the Curtiss XP-40Q /;^_\\

Edited by Rolkatsuki

Wow! this is what a Battleship SHOULD feel like playing. finally got Iowa after a month of grinding almost nonstop. im really satisfied with how Merica/10 this ship is.

1. Massive American Guns

2. looks great

3. is fast for a BB

4. great secondaries

6. Kancolle Iowa Skin Mod>>>>??? oh yeah.

why does this play like NC but feel much more solid? it drives well, and that increased shell velocity is nice! i feel like i can finally predict the arc. im very pleased with this ship!

8/10

"Iowa Skin Mod"

I need this for the day I get my Iowa.

i got it from the Asia Server Mods. not sure where; Credit to the original Artist! i will send him some $$$ if i find out who did it, as it's now my Favorite Ship. also..... LEWD XD

Edited by SourNote666

Iowa is a great ship but I like nc better due to less repair cost, better turn speed, lower cit and running a secondary spec still gets nc aa to 94 and a 7.4 km secondary range. The Iowa's cit was under waterline in real life  but wargaming screwed her over but making cit above waterline  like that. But honestly im not a fan of anybody stating one ship unless nobody likes it (example Pensacola) but north car is such a dull topic because its a pretty fun ship for most people. Everybody has their preferences

Edited by mous1

Iowa has the WORST CITADEL. it is entirely possible to get one shot by ships in your same tier F DER GROBE or Izumo while not having the same ability, which is extremely unfair. i dont understand why WG would make that citadel so large on a ship that is already just a carbon copy of NC with slightly better HP. but it is what it is, its still my favorite ship (in real life) so ill stick with it. if theres ever any input for WG or they ever ask Iowa's citadel is definitely one thing i would suggest change; that or put everyone else's citadels (BB's @ T9)at our level and see how they like it? especially because they brag in their stupid plug about the Mighty Mo (Which is a SISTER ship of THE SAME CLASS as Iowa that has a better citadel, for no reason.) i think thats what upsets me is that they do things like that. there is no reason to make such a handicap against her. especially when they have no problems putting the german ships on steroids.

Edited by SourNote666

Iowa has the WORST CITADEL. it is entirely possible to get one shot by ships in your same tier F DER GROBE or Izumo while not having the same ability, which is extremely unfair. i dont understand why WG would make that citadel so large on a ship that is already just a carbon copy of NC with slightly better HP. but it is what it is, its still my favorite ship (in real life) so ill stick with it. if theres ever any input for WG or they ever ask Iowa's citadel is definitely one thing i would suggest change; that or put everyone else's citadels (BB's @ T9)at our level and see how they like it? especially because they brag in their stupid plug about the Mighty Mo (Which is a SISTER ship of THE SAME CLASS as Iowa that has a better citadel, for no reason.) i think thats what upsets me is that they do things like that. there is no reason to make such a handicap against her. especially when they have no problems putting the german ships on steroids.

Agreed. It really is a shame they can't see how disadvantaged the unfair and unrealistically high citadel is. The real life ships were better protected through more clever and less conventional means, and those unorthodox methods of protection have been largely ignored in game.

My advice would be to either lower the citidel, or adjust the angle of the belt armor so that it is more canted relative to incoming shells from the side. Also, just a note, but the real life Missouri did actually get slightly better frontal protection, though it's not enough to really make a huge difference in game. Other than that it's the same as Iowa. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I just got my Iowa not too long ago and I absolutely love the ship. Sometimes I leave the game up while doing other things just to have the Iowa in port to look at.

I haven't got to Iowa itself yet, But I do have NC and MO.  I've found out about that citadel thing the hard way, and feel as you do, Sournote.   To be honest, if Iowa's cit is worse than MO's, I don't want it.

What bloody good is a BATTLESHIP that has to sit well outside of combat, bow on, or get erased???   not much, I'm afraid.    Get flanked?  You're dead.   Try to reposition and someone is looking at you?  You're dead.  Try to brawl?  You're dead.   Don't even think about getting within 10 km of ANY ship with torps, because you can't dodge them with that turning radius.  If I wanted that sort of playstyle, I'd play a cruiser, and have a somewhat better chance vs torpedoes, plus a better rof.

I don't buy the whole "balance" rationale.   None of it's contemporaries suffers any such fatal flaw- and they are even better than these.   That's why the USS Xp Pinata, and the USS Vulnerable sit in port and rust...

To be honest, if Iowa's cit is worse than MO's, I don't want it.

It's pretty much the same story, slightly less frontal bulkhead armor. Not really a serious difference. At any rate US Fast Battleships cannot possibly be doing so well that these sabotaged citadels are necessary. Edited by Lynolius

Sometimes I leave the game up while doing other things just to have the Iowa in port to look at.

same!

slightly less frontal bulkhead armor.

wont matter when Yammy decides  to Cit you from bow on lol. it happens.

But I do have NC and MO.  I've found out about that citadel thing the hard way, and feel as you do, Sournote.   To be honest, if Iowa's cit is worse than MO's, I don't want it.

it's not a bad ship, just badly balanced vs META ships.

it will do well, and i tend to do well in it despite the MASSIVE weakspot it has, i feel like it's just underperforming compared to the other nation's BB's, but i play for the fun, not the meta, so i will stick with Iowa, BECAUSE 'MERICA!

2b19b11ddc.jpg

"one of the Most powerful Battleships of ww2"                 DOESNT FEEL LIKE IT WG.

"fundamentally different armor"                                       by placing it at a point where it can be easily hit, yeah, Really different.

Edited by SourNote666

it's a threat to any non-BB ship, and i tend to citadel Nippon cruisers all day. it preys on DD's with deadly Secondaries out to 9.1km. but it just cant against other t9 BB's. Hell even Torpitz and Biz can take down an iowa with little probs. i jus tdot feel that it's well balanced.

Now if only WG would give the USN ships rudder shift times that didnt feel like your driving Manhattan, and put their citadels back below the waterline...

rudder shift times that didnt feel like your driving Manhattan, and put their citadels back below the waterline...

+1

but i can deal with a slow turn, im a battleship, i can drive it fine, but i dont feel like a battleship when a t7-t8 ship can easily citadel me for 3/4 of my health in one salvo.

I think it's entirely possible for all non-German BBs to one-shot by other equal tier battleships. Heck, even a Yamato can be deleted from full health by other battleships. 

all non-German BBs to one-shot by other equal tier battleships.

But Why though? thats my question. add to this they already get torps, it seems broken.

But Why though? thats my question. add to this they already get torps, it seems broken.

Why? I'll tell you why. (Also, only one tech-tree German BB gets torps. The other two are premiums, and if you asked about why they have torps, it would be like asking "Why do the premium RN CLs have HE/Why does Saipan get T9 planes/Why does Belfast get both radar and smoke/Why does Missouri get radar/Why are Fuji and Kamikaze allowed to keep the old Minekaze torps, etc.)

1. Tier for tier, they usually have the smallest guns. 

2. They are more likely to get penetration damage (33%) instead of overpen damage (10%). 

3. At high tiers, they have the worst maneuverability, although not by a large margin.

4. They can still be citadeled at long range.

And besides, if you keep angled you are never gonna get deleted. 

Edited by Aduial

You just found that out? 

Also, I'll take Rudder Shift along with the Lowered Cit, thank you very much.

Why? I'll tell you why. (Also, only one tech-tree German BB gets torps. The other two are premiums, and if you asked about why they have torps, it would be like asking "Why do the premium RN CLs have HE/Why does Saipan get T9 planes/Why does Belfast get both radar and smoke/Why does Missouri get radar/Why are Fuji and Kamikaze allowed to keep the old Minekaze torps, etc.)

1. Tier for tier, they usually have the smallest guns. (And faster reload, and with smaller guns they can more reliably not overpen cruisers. You should focus on the accuracy instead when talking about the guns. And "smaller guns", T9 and 10 they have the same caliber guns and faster reload)

2. They are more likely to get penetration damage (33%) instead of overpen damage (10%). (Which can be healed by 40%, Citadels cannot be healed.)

3. At high tiers, they have the worst maneuverability, although not by a large margin. (And faster Rudder Shift)

4. They can still be citadeled at long range. (If the shells even hit. And if you are lucky to pen it.)

And besides, if you keep angled you are never gonna get deleted. (Unless against a German BB in close range. You'll get deleted. Slowly.) 

Fair enough. But in the hands of a good player, no ship is likely to take citadels anyways. (I tried very hard to not say "get good" in my posts, but i guess that's what I ended up saying.......no offence intended to anyone.)

Also, it's not reasonable to say "my BB is too fragile because it can be deleted with citadels and German BBs cannot" when the majority of BBs and all CL/CAs can be deleted by citadel hits. It's more accurate to say "German BBs have very good survivability because they cannot be citadeled at close range". Now, it can be questioned whether German BBs are balanced in terms of their armour. But a ship's tendency to take major damage when going broadside is the norm, and cannot be used as a basis for concluding that it is underpowered.