You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JervisBay

Graf Spee is made of tissue paper.

70 comments in this topic

[FLEE]
Members
2,194 posts
4,953 battles

Finally....first time I've seen the ship in battle (PvE) today.

Someone in my group obviously bought it, so there was it's opposite number on the enemy side.

For crying out loud....three salvos from my Leander and the Graf Spee exploded.

I was considering buying it but jeeeez.....is it really worth it?!

Members
1,480 posts
8,824 battles

Yeah, it's a cruiser.  The Germans tried to engineer a ship that carried battleship-calibre guns with reasonable speed and range that didn't violate the 10k ton treaty limit placed on them.  The only possible way to do that was to leave off the armor.

[ANKER]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,115 posts
7,282 battles

When playing PvE, bots make me think anything sucks. The reality is, they do stupid stuff like yolo-charge, sail broadside etc. Encountering it in PvP, or even asking someone with it you see in battle what they think, would probably privide you with better results

Members
824 posts
4,173 battles

I'd give it some more time before really evaluating its performance. Like every new ship(tank in WOT's) people are still learning how to use it so their bound to make some mistakes with it. I call it the stress test period, you learn what the ship can do and what it can't do. Once people pass the stress test period I'm sure the ship will do just fine even though she has thin armor(she's a cruiser after all)

[SYN]
Members
5,955 posts
13,860 battles

As pointed out by others, the Spee is merely a cruiser (not a battleship or a battlecruiser), with cruiser armor.  That means a few broadside AP hits will erase it like any other cruiser in the game.  Absolutely nothing new about that.

Unfortunately, I've already seen a few users play it like it's a battleship and then scream like a riot when they get deleted.  It's like Darwinism for this game:  Play your chosen ship in a manner unsuited to the immediate situation, and you quickly go extinct in that match.

[OBS]
Members
1,277 posts
12,014 battles

Less citadel armor than the Cleveland, I believe.  Funny to think just now, all these decades later the in game ship is just as over-hyped as the real one was.  "Pocket Battleship".  LOL  The more things change the more they stay the same.

• Cool 1

[FLEE]
Members
2,194 posts
4,953 battles

When playing PvE, bots make me think anything sucks. The reality is, they do stupid stuff like yolo-charge, sail broadside etc. .....

That had NOTHING whatsoever to do with the fact that the bloody thing detonated on my third salvo.

PvE or PvP...the ship's specs are the same.

Whilst its firepower is unquestionably strong, it's capability of absorbing hits is very weak.

I was going to buy it but now....I don't think so.

I could see myself searching for a safe haven in a river estuary if I came up against a couple of RN cruisers...or even a single Budyony.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,072 posts
1,514 battles

I'd give it some more time before really evaluating its performance. Like every new ship(tank in WOT's) people are still learning how to use it so their bound to make some mistakes with it. I call it the stress test period, you learn what the ship can do and what it can't do. Once people pass the stress test period I'm sure the ship will do just fine even though she has thin armor(she's a cruiser after all)

Indeed, i'm so not used to her arc, giving me minor hell hitting anything with her.

[FLEE]
Members
2,194 posts
4,953 battles

its a cruiser not a  BB, what did you expect?:sceptic:

I didn't expect anything, froot-loop.

I was merely expressing surprise at its fragility.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,072 posts
1,514 battles

That had NOTHING whatsoever to do with the fact that the bloody thing detonated on my third salvo.

And the leander is entierly capable of doing the same to any other T6 cruiser. your point?

Members
3,594 posts
7,435 battles

The GUNS are great but the armor is like almost NONE!  I had the Graf for a couple of days now...I felt that with the bundled items the price of the ship comes to around $40+ which was ok with me. My impression on PVE was not too bad but on Random it tore me a new....well u know what lol!  Once it detected and your showing your broad side...your almost done. I try to get besides islands as much as I can because it takes damage real fast.  Happy with it? I dunno..like anything else WOW should have some deal where you can rent these ships for a couple of days...test drive...so to speak.  no xp earned..or how about XP deducted for rent payment?   That would be the day...

Edited by dionkraft

[FLEE]
Members
2,194 posts
4,953 battles

Like another poster, you are misreading my OP.

The ship's specs are exactly the same, whether playing PvP or PvE.

I doubt if the bots are going to "learn what the ship can do".

My comment was based on the observation that it has negligible armour and until I saw this at first hand I was not aware of the fact.

[FLEE]
Members
2,194 posts
4,953 battles

And the leander is entierly capable of doing the same to any other T6 cruiser. your point?

Oh, [edited]me....are you so obtuse that you cannot accept a simple observation as just that?

[FLEE]
Members
2,194 posts
4,953 battles

The GUNS are great but the armor is like almost NONE!  I had the Graf for a couple of days now...I........ Once it detected and your showing your broad side...your almost done. ....

That was my impression exactly after seeing what I did to it with three salvos.

In fact, your comment, together with my observation, have just saved me AUS$138.

Thank you for confirming what I experienced. :)

Members
824 posts
4,173 battles

Like another poster, you are misreading my OP.

The ship's specs are exactly the same, whether playing PvP or PvE.

I doubt if the bots are going to "learn what the ship can do".

My comment was based on the observation that it has negligible armour and until I saw this at first hand I was not aware of the fact.

The bots can learn what a ship can do.  AI's can be improved, humans not so much.

As for your observation, that's kinda on you, you knew it was a cruiser so why should your observation surprise you?

Edited by Magic_Fighting_Tuna

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

I like mine so far, but I must admit it's a very steep learning curve. You cant treat it like a battleships and you cant treat it like a cruiser.. it's it's own ship.

[OBS]
Members
1,277 posts
12,014 battles

Someone coming into the lion's den is destined to be torn apart with a Graf Spee is weak thread; we've all been waiting for that guy to get it going.  But to actually answer the OP question; IMO, no it is not worth buying, certainly not for the initial hundred bucks.  That's just nuts, again overhyped just like the real ship was.  Maybe if they get it down to $30 or so I'll jump onboard but I find it extremely unlikely that it's performance will ever justify more than that.  Personally, I'm far more interested in the XP I will be earning from taking them apart.

Members
824 posts
4,173 battles

I like mine so far, but I must admit it's a very steep learning curve. You cant treat it like a battleships and you cant treat it like a cruiser.. it's it's own ship.

It's obviously the pocket battleship class...

[TXGUN]
[TXGUN]
Members
4,596 posts
13,535 battles

Take a brake man no need to get huffy puffy over it they were not being sarcastic in their responses.

Members
924 posts
6,707 battles

Ran into one earlier today when I was in Prinz Eugen we where bothe coming around an island and my first salvo hit Graf hard because I had her flat side. She was alone on that flank so she turned and ran. The persons playing her knew what they were doing because they kept her well angled making her immune to my ap. Me and a friendly Leander gave chase. Considering she had to cruisers throwing HE at her she held up very well and when an enemy Bismarck showed she was able to escape. Point is when played well she can be a tuff ship for enemy cruisers to deal with which to me is exactly as it should be.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,072 posts
1,514 battles

Oh, [edited]me....are you so obtuse that you cannot accept a simple observation as just that?

You come in, observe the fact that it gets wreaked easily and go on about how your not going to buy it now.

That is not a simple observation. Thats you going "wow a cruiser is really vulnerable to damage, i'm shocked"

To which my response is what the [edited]did you expect from a cruiser, genius.

• Cool 2