Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Amber_Clad

Gneisenau Tier 5 Captaincy; Tier 5 vs more lesser Tiers.

14 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
1,736 battles

I'm still a wee bit off from lvl 5(have 4 Captain points right now) but I'm agnonizing over the usefulness of the T5 skills VS Generalizing with more additional lower Tier skills.

Right now I have.

T1 - Basics of Survivability(I know some people go BasicFireTraining here but I hate fires/flooding.)

T2 - Expert Marksmen

T3 - High Alert

T4 - Advanced Fire Training.

The choice of T5 basically coming down to either Concealment or Manual Secondaries. 

But I'm also thinking with 5 points I could for example, get T1 BFT, and T4- Manual Anti-Air. Making my more secondaries stronger auto-firing, and improving my AA significantly. 

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the matter.

Note:I plan on upgrading the Bismark and wanted to bring the captain along..and I know everyone LOVES Manual Secondaries there but I just don't know if I manual target enough to make it worthwhile to be honest...

Beta Testers
1,465 posts
4,344 battles

I'm still a wee bit off from lvl 5(have 4 Captain points right now) but I'm agnonizing over the usefulness of the T5 skills VS Generalizing with more additional lower Tier skills.

Right now I have.

T1 - Basics of Survivability(I know some people go BasicFireTraining here but I hate fires/flooding.)

T2 - Expert Marksmen

T3 - High Alert

The choice of T5 basically coming down to either Concealment or Manual Secondaries. 

But I'm also thinking with 5 points I could for example, get T1 BFT, and T4- Manual Anti-Air. Making my more secondaries stronger auto-firing, and improving my AA significantly. 

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the matter.

Note:I plan on upgrading the Bismark and wanted to bring the captain along..and I know everyone LOVES Manual Secondaries there but I just don't know if I manual target enough to make it worthwhile to be honest...

Manual secondaries, your job isn't stealth in a German Battleship. It's to get in there, punch people in the face and ram your tonnage down the enemy's throat when it's time to push. Hiding in the back and sniping like a scared child, isn't the way of the German BB. 

Get used to manually targeting, you'll see the payoff, and you'll never stop doing it. I even go so far as to select targets for my secondaries that I think are going to get frisky, ahead of time (well outside of my secondary range), and then switch if necessary later. Don't worry about AA, Bismark and upward. Honestly it's not worth speccing into, given how few CVs there are. 

Edited by Mavairo
  • Cool 2

Members
1,614 posts
10,688 battles

Manual secondaries, your job isn't stealth in a German Battleship. It's to get in there, punch people in the face and ram your tonnage down the enemy's throat when it's time to push. Hiding in the back and sniping like a scared child, isn't the way of the German BB. 

Get used to manually targeting, you'll see the payoff, and you'll never stop doing it. I even go so far as to select targets for my secondaries that I think are going to get frisky, ahead of time (well outside of my secondary range), and then switch if necessary later. Don't worry about AA, Bismark and upward. Honestly it's not worth speccing into, given how few CVs there are. 

+1 this

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

The bismarcks secondaries are probably the biggest strength of the ship. I am still grinding mine and have already played battles where I have gotten 50k+ damage from secondaries + fires.

Beta Testers
153 posts
7,170 battles

The bismarcks secondaries are probably the biggest strength of the ship. I am still grinding mine and have already played battles where I have gotten 50k+ damage from secondaries + fires.

This pretty much ends this thread. I would argue if you don't spec secondaries you might as well stop at tier 7 or even earlier with the German BBs.

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

Definitely get BFT when you can, manual secondaries to me is a double edged sword. Yes, give it to a German BB it can shred a DD trying to close in on you. That said, unless theres a away to lock on to targets on 2 different sides of the ship, you can only fire at a single target even though those gun crews on the other side can't shoot at it even if they wanted to. So instead of damaging two ships and setting two on fire, it's only one. That and you have to remember you have since they don't fire otherwise. Have my future Bismarck commander in Tirpitz atm with manual secondaries and found myself at an angle and range that without manual secondaries, I could have been hitting two ships with secondaries, and with my more aggressive play style usually in a BB, it's not uncommon for me to be in a situation where say the starboard guns are focused on a guy but thees another the port guns could open fire on but don't.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

Manual secondaries FTW! You won't get too much out of concealment, Jack of all trades is a joke and nothing else is really valuable for Gneisenau as 5th row skill. Manual secondaries offer -60% dispersion and you'll have a good result from using them even on Gneis and even more on Bismarck, but I can't say for sure, I just bought her last night and still retraining my captain.

You need to push and burn stuff on KM BB and you need your secondaries to do some work.

Yes, shooting only at one target is not ideal, but with lower dispersion if you find yourself in the situation where there are several ships around you - set fire on one, then switch target to the other one. It will be much faster with improved accuracy then shooting randomly everywhere.

And if you're going for secondaries build you should have BFT, but for Bismarck 60% of your secondaries will actually benefit from this skill, because you have 12*150 mm guns that are too large to take advantage of this skill. Gneisenau has more than half it's secondaries as 150mm guns and so even less point in getting BFT, only for improved AA.

Edited by geser98

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

And if you're going for secondaries build you should have BFT, but for Bismarck 60% of your secondaries will actually benefit from this skill, because you have 12*150 mm guns that are too large to take advantage of this skill. Gneisenau has more than half it's secondaries as 150mm guns and so even less point in getting BFT, only for improved AA.

Incorrect but understandably so. The wording is weird but BFT and AFT affect ALL secondary guns regardless of how big, so even the 15 cm guns and larger on Scharn, Bismarck and Yamato get the buff. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,638 battles

I'm actually getting a lot of use out of my CE cruiser captians in my Scharnhorst.

I abandoned manual secondaries. The accuracy is great, but I've been screwed over an equal number of times by needing the secondaries on BOTH sides of the ship to work.

Running CE let's you get closer before being spotted, so you take less damage while you are closing the range.

It also let's you disengage easier if you are getting focused or out of position.

Your mileage may vary. Neither one is "right" or "wrong" and that is a good thing.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

Incorrect but understandably so. The wording is weird but BFT and AFT affect ALL secondary guns regardless of how big, so even the 15 cm guns and larger on Scharn, Bismarck and Yamato get the buff. 

Oh, thanks for the update :teethhappy: The wording indeed is pretty weird.

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,171 posts
10,840 battles

Right now I have.

T2 - Expert Marksmen

T3 - High Alert

Manual secondaries. Then BFT.

Also, why High Alert? Vig is much better for a brawler.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

Also, why High Alert?

I would just guess that because of this:

I know some people go BasicFireTraining here but I hate fires/flooding.)

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,171 posts
10,840 battles

I would just guess that because of this:

I hate flooding too, that is why I run Vigilance. Not to mention, that on a premium BB one must always run a premium damage control consumable, which means that High Alert bonus is that much smaller.

[YARRR]
[YARRR]
Members
260 posts
5,565 battles

Definitely get BFT when you can, manual secondaries to me is a double edged sword. Yes, give it to a German BB it can shred a DD trying to close in on you. That said, unless theres a away to lock on to targets on 2 different sides of the ship, you can only fire at a single target even though those gun crews on the other side can't shoot at it even if they wanted to. So instead of damaging two ships and setting two on fire, it's only one. That and you have to remember you have since they don't fire otherwise. Have my future Bismarck commander in Tirpitz atm with manual secondaries and found myself at an angle and range that without manual secondaries, I could have been hitting two ships with secondaries, and with my more aggressive play style usually in a BB, it's not uncommon for me to be in a situation where say the starboard guns are focused on a guy but thees another the port guns could open fire on but don't.

In that type of situation you'd actually benefit more by manually targeting one ship then switching to another once fires are started.  Manual Secondaries about triples your secondary battery accuracy - the one ship you have targeted is taking more hits than you'd generate total firing from both sides without it.

There really isn't a downside to manual secondaries.  Even having to manually target will force you to have more situational awareness, which is actually a benefit.

Sign in to follow this