You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Skrub_Harvester

USN destroyers are overpowered, suggest nerfs

138 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
70 battles

Hi everyone, I am new to WoWS and have recently started playing this awesome naval game.  I have previously only watched some videos of the gameplay, so I have some idea how this game works.

When I first started I played USN Destroyers, which appears to be an extremely easy class to play.  I have only played until the Clemson, but I heard that the line just gets better.  In fact, it is so good that I bought the Sims on the first day.  I think USN DDs are very overpowered for the game meta.  Here are some reasons.

After checking the other ships on the tech tree, I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Excellent Guns, they have excellent DPM when compared with other DDs, making them the best at killing DDs.

2.  I just realised that the smoke lasts very long.  In fact, over 100s of smoke at low tiers makes this DD very good at defending caps and zoning the enemy.

3. Torpedoes are quite excellent at deleting BBs, and I hear that unlike IJN torps they get better up to tier X.

4. Concealment is high but still workable.

5. Excellent cornering characteristics, while other DDs struggle to turn (like the IJN ones), the USN ones have good turning circles. 

6. Actually workable stealth fire at higher tiers.

Overall, I think WG has to nerf this DD class.

Members
105 posts
13,102 battles

Wait you're new to wows played it like a few days and have already decided certain ships should be nerfed, lol . The USN dd line has some gems , but so do the other lines, you just gotta grind thru the lemons to get the keepers in every line. I suggest getting more games in and trying the other lines before passing judgement tho.

• Cool 7

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Instead of nerfing some of the only good ships in the USN branch, why not buff the IJN for a change.

IJN destroyers have been nerfed nearly every patch in 2016. Including the destroyer split patch in November.

• Cool 9

Members
564 posts
670 battles

fletcher best torpedoboat :popcorn:

Gearing best Torpedo Boat.

If and when WG Nerfs USN DDs I will likely [edited]quit as that would mean with absolute certainty that WG does not want Destroyers in game.

• Cool 2

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,603 posts
2,495 battles

Feel like your trollinng but IJN DDs don't need other need. Especially with German Destroyers .

Edited by Submarine_Albacore

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

The USN DD flavor tends to favor DD vs DD fights, offensive smoking gameplay, cap contesting, and close-ups terms combat. If another ship wants to brawl with a USN DD, then it's going to lose, as that's what American DDs specialize at.

However, they can't launch torpedoes without being spotted until high tiers (IX and X, I believe), so BBs will k ow they're there before they fire, unlike IJN DDs which can torpedo ships without ever being spotted.

The second issue USN DDs have is their gun "arcs"

The American 5in/38(which arms every USN DD tier V to X) has very low velocity, which means it has a lot of trouble hitting stuff at long range reliably, especially if it's moving fast, and/or manuvering. They shells just take too long to get to the target.

To compare, the Russian DDs have much higher velocity guns, and also heavier shells.

Thus, they have much better, flatter arcs, so the shells get to the target a lot faster, and it isn't as hard to nail fast, manuvering targets like other destroyers at longer ranges. However, their RoF isn't anywhere ear as good as the USN 5in gun.

Because of this, it's kind of a rule of thumb that if a USN DD wants to beat a Russian DD in a gunfight, it should get within 7km so it can hit the Russian DDs(currently the fastest DDs in-game) reliably. Conversely, a Russian DD should keep an American DD at ranges loner than 7km, where he can't hit you very easily, but you can still hit him just as hard.

Of course, the skill level of the players can change this, but that tends to be the way it plays out.

They certainly are the strongest American line, and one of the best lines for competitive play such as ranked, but I wouldn't call them OP... The short range on their torpedoes and poor gun arcs prevent them from being a huge threat as long as they're farther than 10km from you.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

Hmm you have 27 random battles and your highest tech tree ship is the t4 clemson, which is a good DD for that tier, and you believe you have it all figured out what ships need nerfing? Sorry to break it to you but at T4 you are facing other new players who dont know how to fight dd's very well making it easy for the clemson to get in close and torp them to death. At higher tiers it gets much harder especially with a number of BB's having nasty secondaries. You need some more experience and in other ship lines to understand the game fully as you have almost exclusively played dd's.

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 1

[KSF]
-Members-
5,295 posts
9,253 battles

I disagree. I'm new to this game but personally from what I am seeing IJN cruisers are the most overpowered destroyer in this game.

How far have you gotten?  The low tier IJN DDs are very good, Umikaze, Isokaze and  Minekaze in particular, but after that they start to struggle.  Stealth torpedoing loses a lot of effectiveness as people learn to WASD hack, and BB secondary builds become nastier and nastier, forcing you to stay un detected at all times by staying at range, where torps are harder to hit.

Beta Testers
367 posts
2,515 battles

Hi everyone, I am new to WoWS and have recently started playing this awesome naval game.  I have previously only watched some videos of the gameplay, so I have some idea how this game works.

When I first started I played USN Destroyers, which appears to be an extremely easy class to play.  I have only played until the Clemson, but I heard that the line just gets better.  In fact, it is so good that I bought the Sims on the first day.  I think USN DDs are very overpowered for the game meta.  Here are some reasons.

After checking the other ships on the tech tree, I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Excellent Guns, they have excellent DPM when compared with other DDs, making them the best at killing DDs.

2.  I just realised that the smoke lasts very long.  In fact, over 100s of smoke at low tiers makes this DD very good at defending caps and zoning the enemy.

3. Torpedoes are quite excellent at deleting BBs, and I hear that unlike IJN torps they get better up to tier X.

5. Excellent cornering characteristics, while other DDs struggle to turn (like the IJN ones), the USN ones have good turning circles. 

So after you "recently started playing" you have come to the conclusion that the US DD's all need nerfed. Thank you for your insight. Now play it for at least 1k battles and come back to us with your head screwed on straight. or just leave your troll account alone and stop bothering us. We are trying to play a game here. 
  • Cool 2

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

This is about the same as me starting out day one and saying the Erie is OP so US cruisers need nerfed.... I cant wait until he gets his first taste of Radar in a US DD and a competent enemy team. Pot of gold says he comes back later saying DD's need buffed

Beta Testers
70 posts

Overpowered?  No. Not according to the stats. The US DD with the Best win rate is the Fletcher (~51.19%). ...And there are at least 19 other DDs (none US) with a better win rate.  Even at tiers III & IV where I feel the US DDs are strong relative to their competition, they are not tops on win rate & average damage (in fact they're closer to the bottom of the list than the top).

• Cool 1

[BONKS]
Members
1,738 posts
20,001 battles

Wait you're new to wows played it like a few days and have already decided certain ships should be nerfed, lol . The USN dd line has some gems , but so do the other lines, you just gotta grind thru the lemons to get the keepers in every line. I suggest getting more games in and trying the other lines before passing judgement tho.

I disagree, nerf now and ask questions later :teethhappy:

[-LMS-]
Beta Testers
396 posts
11,572 battles

Troll...or what I call a stage 2 expert.....knows a little bit and think they know everything. 

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,379 posts
14,209 battles

Sorry to burst your bubble, sunshine.....you don't have any clue what you're talking about

Several major flaws here. 

1.) Their shell arcs are atrocious at maximum range. At ranges in excess of 10km or even 7km, depending on what you're actually shooting at, you will find it extremely difficult to land hits against moving targets

2.) Their smoke does last long, but at most tiers if you sit still in smoke you're gonna get the absolute @#$% torped out of you from blind salvos into the smoke

3.) Their torps on DDs tier II-VI are mainly for show. Their range is terrible and rely on ambushing oblivious BB captains. Moving up the tiers there are fewer and fewer of those. Plus, at tiers VII and VIII the torps are slow AF, 55 knots. At tiers IX and X the spread of the torps at long range will make it relatively easy to avoid getting hit by them unless you're a dummkopf

4.) Concealment is meh. Not the best but better then most. The USN DDs rely on their stealth for their survival, as do all DDs. The USN DDs are stealther then most given the right upgrades and captain skills, which makes them well suited for their role of knife fighting enemy DDs

5.) Turning circles are nothing at write home about. While they are tight, that's not going to help you when you're knife fighting at point blank range when the enemy released a slew of torps. Unless the enemy DD is a complete idiot and somehow manages to miss, you're a dead duck, tight turning circle or no

6.) ALL DDs are perfectly capable of stealth firing given the right layout of upgrades and captain skills.

No offence, but all your arguments are invalid. You said yourself you're just starting the game, so you dont fully understand how each of these ship classes work. The USN DDs are perfectly balanced by the existence of the VMF DD line, which in most cases will tear a USN DD to shreds, given that the VMF skipper is even slightly competent and has his head screwed on straight. He(or she) will know EXACTLY how to tip the odds heavily in their favor. As a USN/VMF DD MAIN, I know all of that is just one side of the coin. Im showing you the other. As for buying the Sims on your first day, I don't want to call you a wallet warrior, but it DOES come to mind.....

Edited by BlueMistPvP
  • Cool 3

[WAP]
Beta Testers
347 posts

Came seeking enlightenment. Found a BBaby trolling on a throwaway account. Left disappointed.

• Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
2,970 posts
39,956 battles

If they are overpowered, why is my win rate in them still below 50% after 700+ games in USN DDs? They have already been nerfed twice, and don't need any more nerfs.Leave it alone.

[DDM_]
Banned
1,680 posts
10,129 battles

Came seeking enlightenment. Found a BBaby trolling on a throwaway account. Left disappointed.

Nothing like a DDummy posting nonsense in a nonsensical thread to start the day off. 

[RICCO]
Members
1,165 posts
15,319 battles

30 batles played- please - do play 200 more and make statement after that. 

And welcome to play Wows! :great:

[KSF]
-Members-
5,295 posts
9,253 battles

6.) ALL DDs are perfectly capable of stealth firing given the right layout of upgrades and captain skills.

Minus the Soviets.

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,466 battles

What? You played up to Clemson and decided they are overpowered?

You bought into T7 without a clue what the T7 meta is?

I would suggest you play at least 500 battles in all classes and reach at least T7 on a grind, (not skip or purchase), then you may be able to make an informed opinion.

Is Clemson good? Yes. OP? No.

Sheesh! What will you say when (if) you reach Fletcher or Udaloi?