Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Uber72

Well, the Gaede is ok.

9 comments in this topic

[_CORE]
Members
105 posts
8,209 battles

I started the German DD a couple of days ago. Got killed a lot in them. I noticed eventually that I need to stay back and definitely use the terrain for cover. Mostly use it as an opportunistic vulture. Maybe in wolf packs if you division up.

I got to the T6 Gaede and immediately used free xp to get the 150mm guns. They are nice, but your detection range goes through the roof. Pretty much covering the map. So nearly everyone knows where you are at.

Even with that disadvantage, I decided to keep running with the Gaede to see what I can do with it.

Trying for cap points early is usually suicidal.

The smoke runs out fairly soon.

The hydro is a nice addition.

The 150mm guns are nice. I don't get citadels often, but they are a nice surprise when a cruiser comes up broadsides at a decent range. The HE is ok. I have been setting fires pretty regularly and don't have the 4 point skill yet for fire.

The AP shells are good. I experimented on some BB too. They do decent damage for what they are I guess.

I really like the torpedoes. They hit hard.

Here is a decent game I had tonight. The ship I sunk in this game was the Gneisenau. Ambushed it coming around an island with torpedoes.

gaede1_zpszcn10vnd.png

[RULE]
Beta Testers
201 posts
12,688 battles

So the 150s are a poor man's burden and stick to ole DD tactics is what I'm getting from your post? 

• Cool 1

Members
2,077 posts
14,276 battles

So the 150s are a poor man's burden and stick to ole DD tactics is what I'm getting from your post? 

Basically yeah. Best way to do well in KM DD is to stay back and let your team take the hits while you leach what you can.
  • Cool 1

[_CORE]
Members
105 posts
8,209 battles

Yeah. Keep to the old DD tactics and use the 150s when the opportunity arises.

Members
853 posts

Its a nice assassin on enemy carriers. vs cruisers just wait till you can get within a certain range and they give broadside, send torps wait a bit and then AP them for the panic so that they run into the torpedos.

vs BB's same as any DD HE and Torpedos.

Thats what ive learned yesterday

• Cool 1

Members
824 posts
4,173 battles

I'm enjoying the German DD's especially during my T-22 grind. These ships drive a lot like a Nurnberg, except you have better concealment, better rudder shift and no citadel :)

Edited by Magic_Fighting_Tuna

Members
164 posts
2,002 battles

The 150s aren't THAT much better. The terrible arcs are the same and the damage increase isn't huge. The fire chance goes up nicely, but the increased reload hurts that potential overall.

The biggest boost is that the larger AP shells are less likely to bounce when hittibg an angle. But they're still unreliable.

Sadly, the firing detection range after firing the 150s isn't much beyond NORMAL post firing detection. The normal post fire detection is just that absurd.

Your torps are still your main source of damage, as they're fast and hard to spot. But your stealth-torp window is tiny.

Overall, it's a disappointing ship...

Members
1,267 posts
9,399 battles

But range suffers terribly with the 150's and the turrets are way too slow. I prefer the 128's with AFT training. AFT adds nothing with the 150's. 

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,755 battles

But range suffers terribly with the 150's and the turrets are way too slow. I prefer the 128's with AFT training. AFT adds nothing with the 150's. 

That's what i came to find out. I'm doing alright with the 150's, but the range limit and gun bloom are making me a meat pinata. I'm going to switch back to the 128's.

Sign in to follow this