You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rusty_Bucket__

Atago or Kutov

Atago or Kutuzov  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer

• Atago
    • Kutuzov

16 comments in this topic

[EF21]
Members
676 posts
46,849 battles

I've played both of these ships in Public Test and find myself leaning to the Kutuzov. Which is your preference and why. 

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

Edited by Rusty_Bucket__

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

Kutu is good if you like long range harassing fire, and some ambushing (especially if you use the smoke properly). Good AA platform as well

Atago can be a flame thrower. Has health repair and almost 360 degree torpedo arcs. If you have it built for concealment (concealment module and captain skill) you have about a 9.5 or so km detection by sea. Great for support and sneaking close, attacking and bailing with its stealth ability.

Members
1,369 posts
3,667 battles

I prefer the flame throwing, torpedo spewing, DD rubber having, citadel penetrating playstyle of the Atago to the sit in smoke and fire mah gunz Kutuzov.  That said, ive ONLY played Atago since Kutuzov wasnt worth buying for me.  Grain of salt and all that.

[KFL]
Supertester
693 posts
18,533 battles

Man idk. Good question. I think I prefer kutuzov more. But both were enjoyable. I died more with atago tho.

Members
212 posts
11,631 battles

Have both and really like them. Atago is harder to play (IMO) but the rewards are higher. Took me close to 100 games before a I got any good with her. If you're already familiar with IJN CA's it shouldn't be a problem.

Kutuzov is great if you don't want to play as aggressively (again IMO).

If I could only keep one it would be Atago.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
4,964 battles

Have not played or purchased the Kutuzov but I own and love my Atago and by extension Takao. 

She's probably the most Flexible premium ship available. From Modules to Commander Skills She'll perform in nearly every role with excellence. The only subpar role is Air Defense, but the IJN have one of the best CatFTRs available and access to DF (unlike the RN) so while Killing planes she'll have a tough time solo; the ability to provide Panic gives her the leg up if you take it over Hydro. 

Atago, Jack-of-all-Trades by design, after specializations still adequate is secondary roles. 

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,972 posts
13,731 battles

More of an Atago player myself, I have both.

The Kutuzov like driving a closed beta Cleveland with paper for a hull, very nice guns and smoke that may or may not save you, torps are an afterthought but still useful. It's still good for retraining Russian captains for all the ships so far, so odds are the captain won't have skills for torps anyway.

If you've driven the Myoko, you can drive the Atago, Guns work a little better (Exactly like the Mogami), armor feels about the same (IOWs, never give you're broadside) and the torps are interesting. In most cases they have better arcs than most IJN Cruisers if you're using them offensively, and worse if you're using them to cover your escape. It can be used as a gunboat or a torpedo boat, so it's good at retraining Battleship, Cruiser and Destroyer captains.

[BMBF]
Members
208 posts
16,007 battles

Biased toward Atago

Since most of my ships are IJN.

Excellent for Assault and Defense. I use it to retrain everything except CV captains.

Good at printing credits, it rewards aggressive play and passive both. Add credit flag for ridiculous cashflow.

High speed, over 36knots with flag, allows you to dictate combat.

Edited by Espinoza75

[RS]
Beta Testers
26 posts
16,561 battles

Kutuzov is glorious AND soviet, you can't go wrong with it. The armor on it is amagi-like in its alternating between totally nonexistent and made of adamantium, but the guns, torps and AA on it are all excellent.

Members
67 posts
14,707 battles

In a knife fight, the Atago is better with the extra torpedoes, better torpedo arc, and longer range. For long range, I like the Kutuzov better. You will always have 6 guns facing either front and back without exposing too much sides. Can't do that with the Atago. And if I am not mistaken, the guns on Kutuzov shots very straight. Which in my opinion is better for aiming and sniping.

I have both. My style of play prefers the Kutuzov. This is even more important when my luck is not so good at being assigned to winning teams. Often times when the battle went south, and I get chased, the Kutuzov kites really well.

in a different note, I have done more single broadside kills on Atago than on Kutuzov using BBs. Not sure that means anything, it could just be the Atago players put themselves in a compromising position more and/or more of them out there. ...

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,298 posts
6,911 battles

Question: Is the Atago still a good ship...even if you suck with torpedoes?  I'm quite bad at utilizing torpedoes...and mostly just use them to harass the enemy.  Wasn't the Atago more of a predator torp-user than a harasser?

[BMBF]
Members
208 posts
16,007 battles

Yes, the excellent stealth is great for setting up a shot, the dodging. 10km torps are good for harassing enemies who chase. You can launch from 11 12 or even 13 km and peeps sail into the range.

Just remember, fire once, turn, lose detect, fire again.

When you get better with torps, you can delete full health iowas in ambushes. Those are fun. Difficult, but satisfying.

[EF21]
Members
676 posts
46,849 battles

I appreciate all the feedback. I think I should get both. I really enjoy playing cruisers. I've got tier X in the following lines (RN, US, IJN, & KM). I recently picked up the Dmitri Donskoi as well. 

Members
252 posts
3,086 battles

The best comparison I can do (owning both) is this:

-The Kutuzov plays like what the Cleveland's logical conclusion is. It's a support player that should stay behind BBs or other CAs and rain shells down on opponents and provide a massive dose of AA support. It won't win many games by itself, but like a good Cleveland, having one in support is a great asset to any fleet, and it makes destroyers wish they were in another county with the flat trajectory, massive fire rate, and high shell speed that it's 152mm rifles can put out. In the late game, when ships dip on health and start looking battered, pick your ambushes and clean up with HE and some torpedo shots. Also remember-your guns are FLAT inside of 8km, so if you see other cruisers creeping close, load AP and watch citadels pile up!

-The Atago, however, is a treasure to any Japanese CA skipper worth his salt, being essentially the optimal Tier VIII evolution of the 203mm + Torpedo line that starts at the Furutaka and continues on till the Zao. It is an incredibly versatile ship (like the Myoko, the Mogami, etc) that fits well in a line of battle or off doing it's own thing. If you don't want to pay for the Atago, grind out the Arpeggio event for the Takao, which is the same class but with a shiny blue paintjob.

I personally like the Kutuzov more because I've played the Cleveland more times than I care to admit and am a rabid fan of the Dakka + Fire combo from rapid-fire guns, but you really can't go wrong with either ship as long as you play them well. Hope this helped.

Edited by JinghisKhan

[EF21]
Members
676 posts
46,849 battles

I have the Takao with a level 10 captain. Both ships are discounted now. I believe I will go with the Kutuzov.

Thanks for all the feedback.