You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CaptGodzillaPig

Your "Average" Player - A Different Perspective of WOW

89 comments in this topic

[RICO5]
Members
3,273 posts
7,504 battles

Before I start, a bit about me.  I am 47 years old, I have a good job in the high tech industry, ex US Navy (6 years), I am not a gamer per se, but over the years have fell in love with a few and played them religiously.  WOWs is one of those games and I have been playing as much as I can in my free time for roughly a year and a half now and don't foresee stopping anytime in the near future.  I have a 12 year old son that loves the game as well and he plays non stop when he visits, sometimes on my account (I have a lot more ships and higher tier ships), but mostly on his own account (same name as mine with a "Jr" at the end..  fitting since he picked my screen name.).  I have to admit he is pretty decent at the game and certainly has passed needing any advice from the likes of me except in rare situations.  That said I do have a rule for him and that is that he can play random games T5 or below, but T6 and up he has to play Co-op.   "Why is that?" you ask?  Well the answer is simple and that answer is "You.".  Well, most of "you" anyway.

Quick scenario.  T8+ battle, decent MM, fairly even distribution of ship classes, 3 caps.  After the usual round of "where to's" and button pushing auto chats responses..  The DD's fan to each cap and the rest of the fleet mills around running into each other until some sort of decision is made on everyone's part to go to some place.  Green/Red DD arrive in A and C cap at roughly the same time and lets say that the victory goes to one each.  Sound about like your typical battle so far?  BB, heading into cap A which the reds just won, is looking to do his job and take the cap.  He has another BB and 2 CA's with him (by that I mean behind him) so he is feeling pretty good.   Now a red cruiser pops around the corner and starts spamming everyone with HE, in addition to the little red DD bastard that is around somewhere, and things start to warm up.   Oh...  but wait.   The BB looks and everyone "supporting" him has turned and ran at the first sight of an enemy ship.  Well..  At this point, since everyone was nice enough to let him go first and subsequently flee, he is committed to where is and at the best can maybe "run and gun" his way out.  Of course the inevitable happens and he gets focused, and ultimately killed in a glorious, yet unceremonious, display of HE and AP rainbows.  Upon his untimely death, the chat warms up with team mates sending him "well wishes"..  usually involving 4 letters words not including "love".   Various versions of this scenario can play out for all different ship classes and I won't bother laying them all out.  I think you get the idea.

Let's start with "stat dropping".  Some folks in an effort to belittle another player like to throw stats out.  I had one guy in a game that admittedly went so far as to have a laptop next to him for that sole purpose.  Look up your stats so he could "compliment" you on them.  In more than one game where I have met an untimely death, usually in the manner I mentioned above,  I get a "stat dropper" complimenting me on my game play.    This is my take on individual stats.  This is a TEAM game by design, but also  suits the INDIVIDUAL player and how you choose to play it is completely up to you.  There is no "wrong" way.  That said, those two concepts do not go hand in hand.  In fact they are actually the exact opposite.  If you play this game with a TEAM mentality and do your job, for your class of ship, with a team first mentality and expect the rest of the team to play along, then you WILL NOT have huge individual stats as an average over time.  Sure,  There will be good games and bad and probably more good than bad, but averages are funny that way in that it is very easy to drag them down, but very hard to bring them up.  If you have huge INDIVIDUAL stats, you are not a TEAM player..  Sorry to break that to you, but you just aren't;  There might be a few god like folks out there that are the exception to that, but generally speaking,..  no.   So, in short,  insulting someone for having less than god like stats is simply putting an exclamation point on your lack of team work and that is fine because you are obviously one hell of a good individual player.

The "Dead Guy Rant" - This is my personal favorite and one that I am guilty of as well from time to time.  No, unlike "you", I am not perfect.  My Friday night, work week is over, beer drinking, WOW marathon would not be complete without at least one frustration venting.  Annnd we all know how it goes.  That said, there are many different versions of "dead guy rants" and some of them are actually justified in a way.  If you run waaaay out in front of your fleet, or go A when everyone else goes C, and get killed.  Ooops.  That is on you.    If you want to stick around and offer advice the rest of the game, hey great.  I do that.  If you want to stick around and simply trash everyone else that isn't dead then you sir are the problem.

Instead of listing out all of our favorite characters I'll leave it at this.  Your "average" player is here to have a good time.  He/She isn't a naval historian, probably doesn't spend 10 hours a day playing the game and researching every minute aspect of every ship, likes the team interaction or maybe just wants to blow some crapup at the end of a long day.  Probably drops a little coin on a monthly basis just to help ease the game play experience, but nothing heavy.  I keep a premium account to help diffuse the costs and shorten the grind between tiers.  It isn't that much though I know some can't really do that.  I am not a "wallet warrior" by any means, but do enjoy the occasional small purchase.

Next time "YOU" are in a game think about this...   Am I playing for the TEAM or am I playing for MYSELF?   Like I stated before there is no wrong way to play, but if you aren't willing to stick your nose out there and "take one for the team" then you aren't a team player (Atago/Tak, Atlanta...  I'm looking at you.).  If you stick your nose where it doesn't belong and get it chopped off..  it isn't anyone else's fault.

Bottom line is, there are a lot of us "Average" players out here and we know that there are a few of "YOU" experts in here.  If your goal is to have the highest individual stats you can get..  great.  good for you.   We don't care though.  You can post them in your signature line and masturbate to it while your mom brings your hot pockets down to the basement.  Whatever floats your boat.  (see what I did there ;) )    If you can't afford, or feel like a purist for not spending any money, to pay for extras...  Don't get on the guys that do.  They are paying the way for you to play.  This is a game.  It is supposed to be fun.  If you want to make it more than that, and I totally get how you could do that, then great.  Don't expect everyone that plays to be an expert at everything.   "YOU" are the minority in this world and "WE" don't like "YOU".

• Cool 38

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

Hi there.

Have you thought of divisioning? I had someone on the forums just say "hey, let's division". Now there's a small group of us that do stuff almost every day. Heck, we sent each other Santa Stashes this morning.

Sometimes we potato. Sometimes we kill steal. Sometimes we laugh until we cry.

Sometimes Taichunger tells a horrible dad joke.

Anyway, off my soap box.

Have a good day. It's Friday for me.... yeah!

Members
564 posts
670 battles

I like Ham and Cheese Hot Pockets but only if Mountain Dew is available.

I also play for fun but I do pay attention to how well I play.

The paragraph was long and I agree with much of it, some I don't but... Whatever.

One thing you are correct about though is the really good players are the minority. The really good vocal players are even more of a minority. It's pretty easy to lose track of that on here and on Reddit.

Play the game, have fun. [edited]everyone else really....

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,770 battles

Average players make this game exist, and as a high stay player I respect that a lot.

Best solution is to ignore their salty crap.

• Cool 1

Members
169 posts
9,481 battles
 "masturbate to it while your mom brings your hot pockets down to the basement." THAT is priceless :D Think some beer came out of nose...
  • Cool 3

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

"masturbate to it while your mom brings your hot pockets down to the basement." THAT is priceless :D Think some beer came out of nose...

Meh, if you set yourself up with a bar fridge/freezer and a microwave within reach, Mom will never have to see you treating your body like an amusement park....

• Cool 2

[RICO5]
Members
3,273 posts
7,504 battles

Hi there.

Have you thought of divisioning? I had someone on the forums just say "hey, let's division". Now there's a small group of us that do stuff almost every day. Heck, we sent each other Santa Stashes this morning.

Sometimes we potato. Sometimes we kill steal. Sometimes we laugh until we cry.

Sometimes Taichunger tells a horrible dad joke.

Anyway, off my soap box.

Have a good day. It's Friday for me.... yeah!

Hi there to "YOU" Capn..    I do div up sometimes for a few games, but don't play quite regularly enough to have a set group to play with.   But good to see "YOU" here..   Hey, remember that time you called out my son for crappy game play?    I do. 

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/87611-battleship-player-attitudes/#topmost

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

I didnt realize I had to live in my mom's basement and play 10 hours a  day to be good at this game. Maybe I will have to look into buying my mom a house with a basement so she can make me hot pockets and bring them down to me. 

• Cool 3

Members
564 posts
670 battles

Meh, if you set yourself up with a bar fridge/freezer and a microwave within reach, Mom will never have to see you treating your body like an amusement park....

I just threw up a lil.

Hi there to "YOU" Capn..    I do div up sometimes for a few games, but don't play quite regularly enough to have a set group to play with.   But good to see "YOU" here..   Hey, remember that time you called out my son for crappy game play?    I do. 

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/87611-battleship-player-attitudes/#topmost

dun. Dun. DUN.

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

I certainly remember venting about it on the forums although you'll note that only you are naming someone.

Do you feel criticizing poor tactics by (anonymous) teammates to be stat shaming? I do not. I still think sitting in the way back is horrible game play.

[YARRR]
[YARRR]
Members
260 posts
5,565 battles

You're gonna have to connect the dots for me on how a player with a high win rate, high survival rate, high average damage, high average experience, etc is somehow not being a team player.

Someone pulling down a 65% win rate is very clearly doing something to be an asset for their team.

Non team focused play usually results in low survival rates, which correspond to low win rates, damage, and other "individual" stats.

I think you have it backwards.

• Cool 3

[ZNAVY]
[ZNAVY]
Members
254 posts
7,541 battles

Hey man!  Remember me?  We had a great round the other day.  I never see people from in-game on the forums.  Anyways,  people can be pretty salty in-game and in the forums.  I'm no innocent, myself.  It's just a part of the multiplayer experience, unfortunately.  Everybody gets upset sometimes, or drunk, or both.  You can't down-vote in the Forums anymore, but you can use the Karma function in-game.  Good or bad, make sure you use it....a lot of folks in the game never come to the Forums.

Edited by Gojira420

Members
17 posts
5,931 battles

From a once new person perspective. It is easy to lose the beginner perspective once you have played for a bit.  What may appear as a potato sitting in the back may not always be the case. Mini map does not show shells in flight, torps in the water or some other calamity. I have both caused and been victim of this. Past weekend, I was in my tier X Kurfurst and was kept lit by a combination of enemy planes and dd's shadowing. I spent almost the entire match dodging long range torps and HE shell fire. It appeared on the mini map I was sitting back and trying to snipe when in fact it was the opposite, was trying to stay alive so I could keep lobbing shells.  Big fat German sausage boat does kind of act like a attention magnet.

On the flip side I have also done this to the enemy team. In my Scharnhorst I was able to keep two cruisers isolated and retreating with RNJESUS on my side. Every time they would try to turn to move up I would land a salvo, sometimes a citadel hit. Their team then proceeded to compliment them on their stellar play from the back when they were just trying to survive. When under accurate fire you know it is only a matter of time till you take a big hit unless you can break the contact or rhythm of the engagement.

I have also witnessed complete Potatoes dominate a match before, and uber players tank out so hard that you would think it was their second match. Because of this I have learned to keep my mouth shut.

Edit: Also like to add. I have yet to witness someone say....oh gee red team, you know what, all the damage points and exp I just made off you cause you guys crashed out so hard, here have it back. I don't want all the credits I just made.

But if your on the losing side you sure do here about it!

Remember good players, you have good stats because of players with less skill than you, be thankful. If you only faced other good players you might be the one on the bottom then.

Edited by DRandi

Members
250 posts
12,071 battles

I agree and disagree on your post.

I do agree everyone is different  and there are a myriad of different skill levels for players. No one should be stat shamed period, after all we're all in the same boat..metaphorically speaking.

On the other side, i'd say that generalizing players who are good as basement dwelling stat obsessed kids is as bad as stat shaming.

There are extremes on both sides of the issue. One one side you have the vocal "The fate of the world is residing on every WoWS battle and if I don't win I'm going to rant in chat type" And on the other you have the guy that "Has a life, so can't be bothered to learn even the basics of the game, yet has 10k battles"

Being decent and having fun are not mutually exclusive.

• Cool 3

[FROGS]
[FROGS]
Beta Testers
339 posts
2,016 battles

So there I was, just polishing my torpedo.......
  • Cool 1

Members
2,709 posts
17,651 battles

So Capn asked BBs to get into effective shooting range.

One BB player suggested [incorrectly] that his effective shooting range is his max range.

Capn *facepalmed* at that response.

He didn't call out a particular player, just pointed out the typical mentality of a sub-average player. 

On a "saltiness" scale of 1-10, that ranks about a 2 (ok, maybe a 3).

I don't think that was worth getting upset about. I get called out for doing stupid things all the time and rarely are they as civil at what Capn did.

Members
665 posts
5,459 battles

Well OP, the match you described is exactly what happened to me in my Nth Cal last night(hell could have even been the same match for all I know).

Was pushing up to A(can't remember the map), with support behind me, and doing OK.

Suddenly I am getting focused to hell....and where is my support.....yup heading for the J line as fast as possible. Checked the mini map only to find pretty much the entire rest of the team(aside from the J-liners) sitting in the C cap....6 or 7 ships at least and close enough together the crews could spit on each other.

Just gave up at that stage, stopped firing and let the reds obliterate me.

Made a snide comment about the "lemming train" being alive and well even at high tiers and went back too port,,,was frustrating as hell.

Is not an isolated case either, which is why I don't venture into the high tiers often....so your rule for your son is doing him a favor in more ways than one.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the OP. I truly appreciate his attempt to keep his kid from spoiling games with his bad play, as illustrated by cappy's thread that the OP linked in his name/shame attempt. I would however like to recommend that you demote him to t4. With the current MM, as you know he will often be an anchor in up to t7 games. As you are clearly thoughtful enough to make an attempt to be a team player by keeping low skill out of our games, a t4 restriction will keep him from those more challenging games that he can't seem to handle.

Again thanks for your efforts to keep the game good at higher tiers. Those of us who like winning appreciate your generous contribution.

[RICO5]
Members
3,273 posts
7,504 battles

So Capn asked BBs to get into effective shooting range.

One BB player suggested [incorrectly] that his effective shooting range is his max range.

Capn *facepalmed* at that response.

He didn't call out a particular player, just pointed out the typical mentality of a sub-average player.

On a "saltiness" scale of 1-10, that ranks about a 2 (ok, maybe a 3).

I don't think that was worth getting upset about. I get called out for doing stupid things all the time and rarely are they as civil at what Capn did.

read the posts.  my kid did exactly what was right in that game.  He held his ground.. knocked the poop out of the enemies, and if I remember right that battle was a victory.  Ol cappy was just butt hurt because he died early and wanted to yap about his superiority to everyone while they won the war.

[RICO5]
Members
3,273 posts
7,504 battles

I agree and disagree on your post.

I do agree everyone is different  and there are a myriad of different skill levels for players. No one should be stat shamed period, after all we're all in the same boat..metaphorically speaking.

On the other side, i'd say that generalizing players who are good as basement dwelling stat obsessed kids is as bad as stat shaming.

There are extremes on both sides of the issue. One one side you have the vocal "The fate of the world is residing on every WoWS battle and if I don't win I'm going to rant in chat type" And on the other you have the guy that "Has a life, so can't be bothered to learn even the basics of the game, yet has 10k battles"

Being decent and having fun are not mutually exclusive.

I can't expand on every nuance.   I make generalizations and you all get them.  You know what I mean.