You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

It finally happened (Santa container discussion and thoughts)

42 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,714 posts
26,569 battles

So, for all that WoWS players hate RNG, we do like to gamble. Despite all the complaints about a supposed supercontainer nerf by a very vocal few it seems to me that the container system is overall very well received by the playerbase. I for one far prefer it over the daily missions.

And WG hit it home with the santa boxes. Back to the purest definition of the word 'microtransactions' (a definition WG has often seemed to forget with their $100 bundles) you can buy santa containers for yourself or gift them to a friend. In bulk, should you want to. They're cheap, they're quick and they're fun. Microtransactions make the F2P model a success. These santa crates remind me of those blind 5-packs of cards that you buy for a few bucks to fuel your TCG addiction.

Anyways. I was gifted 6 of these santa crates, and this was what was in them.

5 from one friend:

t5C4oKv.jpg

ypXTFpw.jpg

qDdbB9l.jpg

YUUvMeh.jpg

uhFtB2P.jpg

I'll happily take it. Those camouflages will come in very handy while grinding and those doubloons are always useful for XP conversion or captain retraining.

Another friend gifted me a single crate:

cXZsMgd.jpg

Yeah. It finally happened. I got a boat in a box.

So, yeah, for all the complaints I might have about the game (Inter-class balance issues, T5 / T6 MM, the high tier meta, lack of unified game mechanics to name a few) and WG (staged bundle introduction, bundle pricing, bundles to begin with, sudden unannounced changes making CC content obsolete, different servers having different prem ships / bundles to name a few) I think WG nailed it with these santa containers. Cheap, simple, fun, and true to the spirit of microtransactions in the F2P, which is what pays WGs bills.

Just too bad they're going away after christmas.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

Anshan is a fun ship. You'll enjoy if you liked the Gnevny. Be sure to put EM on it. It's a must-have skill.

Members
564 posts
670 battles

I still have not gotten a boat from a box, sad panda...

Grats Lert, Anshan is a fine ship and will do very well at burning big bad Battleships. She is also ridiculously good from mid range, right about the distance that USN DDs struggle to hit fast moving small things. So take that for what it is worth when you see a Farragut/Mahan/Benson.

Enjoy the Free XP.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

Sweet, I got some for myself and got Ishizuchi, Kutuzov and Prinz Eugen.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

I know what you mean, Lert!   Never before did I get a ship in a box- today I got 6, lol.  1 Imperator, and FIVE Gremlins!

I bought a bunch:  First round was one of each, which netted me the Imperator, 180 day premium, and 50 Zulu Hotel flags.

Second round, I went hog wild:  10 of the 3$ ones, and 5 of the $5.   Got 5 Gremlins,  about 150 ocean soul camos, 25 Gamescom camos, doubloons, and a ton of flags. (2 containers of Equal Speed Charlie London!  Thanks, WG- I needed those!)   So, I now have 4 10 point Russian captains in my reserve.

If I buy any more, I'm hoping for Halloween camos, and that other new one.

Game play has stunk today, thanks to the crush of DD's and that awful passive meta in randoms- but I've been showered with medals and campaign goals anyhow.   I bit the bullet and skipped the low tiers altogether, bringing Yorck to do the campaigns.   Still the passive crap- but far fewer DD's!!

So, two thumbs way up for the Christmas containers!

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts
6,762 battles

Mozeltov on yer Anshan! I love the thing with only a single game played. But I forgot to equip the 8km torpedoes, lol. And we lost that game because of that mistake, T_T

good little boat, enjoy it lert!

[O_O]
Members
131 posts
19,662 battles

Hell yeah Im happy about the santa boxes.   I enjoyed the secret santa deal last year, the new container system just seemed perfect -- looks like WG agreed!  :)

I got a bundle of boxes gifted to me as well...  I think they were the $1 boxes.  All 5 had 50 signals.  Not bad for a buck each.   I bought a 5 dollar box and got a boat!  Got a Ishizuchi and 10 point captn.  Santa got a big ol boat in a box.. now thats magic!  :)

HoHoHooooo!!  :)

[HINON]
Members
3,375 posts
32,537 battles

gamescom camo seems to be the most common within the xmas containers from what I've seen. Congrats on that Anshan tho very sweet.

Members
564 posts
670 battles

Mozeltov on yer Anshan! I love the thing with only a single game played. But I forgot to equip the 8km torpedoes, lol. And we lost that game because of that mistake, T_T

good little boat, enjoy it lert!

i prefer the shorties, but I do on the Sims also...

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
915 posts
5,530 battles

Finally proof that not only is MM rigged but containers are also.

:trollface: :teethhappy:

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

I'll admit I agree it feels like super containers were nerfed, but then again, they have the same chance as a detonation. And without running det flags the last couple days I have had a few detonations after MONTHS of no issue. So odds are those couple hits early (that gave me 20k free xp, and some credits) are all I'm getting for a few months even spamming the try your luck.

Either way grats on a ship and camo's. I'm looking at if I have any cash to spare seeing if I can get a few of the dollar ones and luck into a Warspite and maybe some premium time.

Members
645 posts
2,685 battles

Despite all the complaints about a supposed supercontainer nerf by a very vocal few it seems to me that the container system is overall very well received by the playerbase. I for one far prefer it over the daily missions.

You're conflating several issues there. I think we all prefer the container system over the daily missions. I haven't seen anyone argue contrary to that. A lot of people just have taken issue with how supercontainers are handled. And yes there was absolutely a nerf to supercontainer chance. That isn't even debatable. We know it for a fact because of the sudden massive drop overnight in the numbers people received. it was night and day, and reported by tons of people (including myself who got 3 supercontainers in the first week or so, then suddenly none ever since despite opening many times more containers in total since then). And WG even subtly hinted at it imo in one of the update videos where they said they changed the container reward algorithm, or something to that effect.

Beta Testers
626 posts

Apparently I've been a very good boy this year since Santa was extremely generous to me in his Admiral Containers.  So far out of 14 Admiral Containers I've won the following:

• 3 Arizona's with 3 10 Pt Captains.  (In place of the two extra AZ's I received 13,400 doubloons (6600 each) and was able to keep the 2 Extra 10 Pt. Captains.)
  • 1 Lo Yang with 10 Pt Capt.
  • 333 Dragon Flags
  • 35 x 4 Containers of Gamescon 2016 Camo
  • 35 x 3 Containers of Halloween 2016  Camo
  • 35 Restless Fire Camo
  • 35 Ocean Soul Camo

From the Captain and Commander Containers I received:

• 2800 Doubloons (1 Container of 1500 and 1 Container of 1000 and 1 Container of 300 Doubloons)
  • 25 x 3 Dragon Flags
  • 50 Zulu Flags
  • 26 Ocean Soul Camo

Overall I think I've pretty much broke even or made a bit off Santa.

Beta Testers
91 posts
1,337 battles

I hate all of you. :) Okay - maybe not - just most of you - the guys that won ships. :)

I bought 5 of the $5 ones (6.92 Cdn or something like that) - 35 camos x4 and a bit of gold. [no Ocean Soul - 35 gamescom, 70 restless fires, and 35 of ? something else ?].

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,080 posts
60,120 battles

Good luck to everyone who tries these.  I for one won't.  I'm 0 for 42 on Try My Luck containers so reason for me to pay WG to kick me in the balls further.

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
91 posts
1,337 battles

Don't get me wrong, the camos are great, as I don't play that frequently, so more XP/credits is great. Still, jealously is a thing! :)

Members
4,479 posts
19,839 battles

So how does this work? I've tried buying these and nothing happens except getting sent back to the previous screen. I'm logged in.