Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
G_Pa_Plays

German Detection range after firing main guns

38 comments in this topic

[L-S-D]
Members
17 posts
17,911 battles

Anyone notice besides me that All the new German DDs get a very large penalty after firing their main guns, Tiers 2 to 4 get 6.6K added to their detection range and Tiers 5 to 10 get 7.3K to their detection range.

Is this a bug?

or is that was WG desired?

If this is what WG wants, I wont be playing any German DDs ;(

T4.gif

• Cool 2

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

BB kvetching about invisifiring and stealth torping has lead to its slow demise. 

• Cool 4

[L-S-D]
Members
17 posts
17,911 battles

ouch :) then why play DDs if you are going to be seen and sunk in a matter of a few hits. I guess I should just play World of Battleships

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles

Actually had a Gnie complain to me last night about my invisifiring...

But... but... but I thought USN DDs (Benson) weren't supposed to be able to hit anything past 10k or so because of their rainbow shell arcs...? :amazed:

(Pretty much using that to rain shells down on him even though he was parked next to and behind an island on Hotspot; range was between 13k and max gun range.)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,231 battles

ouch :) then why play DDs if you are going to be seen and sunk in a matter of a few hits. I guess I should just play World of Battleships

you should..... leave the non invisifiring ships to the.....

well you get the idea...

people who complain about a ship not being EASY MODE, like a dd invisible guns firing HE spamming junk pile, need to play the ones that do..... and see why it aint worth whining ABOUT IT....

• Cool 1

[JEEP]
[JEEP]
Members
1,124 posts
9,058 battles

Two points about German DD guns....

(1) HE is incredibly weak.

(2) AP is good but you're not going to get citadels from the edge of range.

The low tier DDs have front launching torpedoes so they're pretty aggressive like charging at your target as if you were going to ram them.

Members
4,533 posts
18,504 battles

So far, T2-4 were kinda fun,  T5 and 6 are pure garbage.

you should..... leave the non invisifiring ships to the.....
well you get the idea...
people who complain about a ship not being EASY MODE, like a dd invisible guns firing HE spamming junk pile, need to play the ones that do..... and see why it aint worth whining ABOUT IT....

You can stow that crap. when your T5 and T6 DD has a larger detection range than a T10 Russian DD. there is an issue.  Especially when your max range is 800m LESS than said T10 DD, with much weaker Ammunition and rate of fire.
Edited by Shadowrigger1
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
101 posts
3,998 battles

So far, T2-4 were kinda fun,  T5 and 6 are pure garbage.

I cant even stand to play the T-22 anymore, its complete crap! It's sad because the Ernst is a really good looking ship but its just not worth it.:(

[L-S-D]
Members
17 posts
17,911 battles

I have all classes of ships, BBs which are slow firing and slow maneuvering and not fun and boring to play ;( Except for T10 German BB with 10K sec and turtle back armor :)  CA & CL which are fast firing and fast maneuvering. I like the cruiser play the most :) But, there are to many BBs in matches, 5 or 6 BBs and 5 or 6 DDs and 1 or 2 CA, not fun. I know all about it. I am not talking about invis firing BBs, that's what torps are for ;) My issue is with other DDs and cruisers. Getting 6.6K or 7.3K added to your detection range for 20 sec when you fire main gun is death for a DD. 3 or 4 good volleys and boom you are sunk ;( I love DD play, its fast, its fun and rewarding, but if I shoot and suddenly light up so the whole red fleet can see me, well that's not fun ;( I may as well just stick to IJN DD line and not shoot my guns and use torps only. WG is taking all the fun out of this game. I don't see my playing this game beyond 2017. Its a shame I spent hundreds of dollar$ on this game. Prem ships, Prem time. Buying doubloons and camo. All gone because of some whining BB players. They did it with the IJN DD torps, now the German DD guns. When all the BBs have to do is get vigilance as a capt skill and detection in place of concealment. but no they want 13K concealment on a BB. I guess my next posting will be for a WoWs account for sale $. Prem ships, Prem time, all BB, CA, DD lines completed (except German DD ;( and lots of 15 point capt

• Cool 1

Members
7 posts
10,111 battles

Oh noooo, you can't hide in open water lobbing HE at battleships with impunity anymore! You now have to fear RETURN FIRE for your hubris! Game Over, man! Game over!

Well, now they just have to nerf the invisible firing Cruisers and things will finally be on an even keel. Cruisers will now have to seek out destroyers, require their help spotting while they hide in smoke, or camp behind islands. They will also have to use their rudders to avoid incoming fire from less-than-laser-accurate BB shells.

It's easy criticizing Battleship players when they're essentially nothing but damage and XP pinatas for cruisers and DDs to spam with shells. Sure, they can delete you (if they can hit you and RNG Jesus smiles down on them). But they have the longest reload times, they're the slowest ships in the game, also the easiest to hit. They fear torpedos, fires, and cruiser shell spam.

But hopefully soon BB captains won't have to GUESS where the shells are coming from by looking at the tracer fire from cruisers hiding in open water firing a hose of hellfire down on them. You'll actually have to HIDE now. That's good. You'll have to plan your actions accordingly like a BB captain has to constantly plan their actions for the best positions. And pray to RNG Jesus (sacrifice a chicken or two in the process) and rub the belly fur of Ceiling Cat before firing their shells at what's essentially an invisible ship that's somehow firing at them undetected less than 12km away.

DDs should only be invisible when they're in smoke or hiding behind islands anyway. If you play a DD or a cruiser you're supposed to be a SUPPORT ship. You're supposed to help your capital ships. DDs are supposed to scout, cap, support the big ships instead of going YOLO.

Part of the problem in this game in my opinion is too many people out for themselves and glory seeking. They're slowly forgetting this is a team game and supposed to be a team effort to win. My win rate isn't the greatest, but it's slowly improving. As a BB captain I would love it if once in a while destroyers would act like the support ships they are and provide cover and spotting for everyone else. Disrupt the enemy with torpedo salvos, use their guns to support fire on targets.

When I play my Sims or my Benson I provide support. I provide smoke cover for battleships and cruisers. I do spotting. I use my torpedos to distrupt the enemy and keep them turning so they can't return fire as easily against friendlies. When another DD shows up, I try to spot them, throw down fire on them and hope my teammates do their jobs. You don't have to be able to fire from invisibility to perform your role.

I would also like it if this game encouraged more battleship brawling rather than sniping. I don't often get to feel like I'm sailing a battleship because I spent a lot of time forced to camp behind islands (because nobody supports me when I push) due to the sheer volume of hellfire raining down on me if I so much as peek from behind the rock and can't see the ships shooting at me (because DDs aren't doing their jobs or they all went YOLO and got killed).

T10 matches are horrifically boring and last almost a whole 20 minutes of just camping and taking errant shots at the enemy whenever they poke out from their hiding spots. So I, for one, am glad for the nerf to invisible firing. I hope it moves into the cruiser lines too. I'm excited for it.

/rant

• Cool 3

Members
604 posts
8,367 battles

Before I comment on anything. I should let ppl know that I play BB, CA, and DD

and I have to say totally takeing out Invis fire ability is not a good move.

Some ships do need that ability to be good. First ship come to my mind is the new IJN T8 Akizuki. Big slow DD with low damage shell without invis fire ability is just an sitting duck for other to shoot at.

and for the German DD line. such a shame for WG to do these changes in the last minute. I haven't play them yet and not planned to do so in a while, but I think they deserve 1 - 2 km of invis fire window.

Want to counter invis fire ? support your DD and keep him alive so he can spot that invis fire ship for you. This is how team work should work in the game. the majority of DD can spot an enemy DD firing from "stealth" without getting spotted themselves.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
596 posts
6,464 battles

*snip*

>rants about people seeking glory instead of teamplay

>ignores that teamplay is what gets invisfiring ships spotted

We're done here.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,320 battles

Anyone notice besides me that All the new German DDs get a very large penalty after firing their main guns, Tiers 2 to 4 get 6.6K added to their detection range and Tiers 5 to 10 get 7.3K to their detection range.

Is this a bug?

or is that was WG desired?

If this is what WG wants, I wont be playing any German DDs ;(

They are killing invisifire, so get used to this and be ready to experience the same in other nations DD's coming soon!!

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,320 battles

Which is what the BB lobby wants; nothing which will threaten BB's, and WoW was founded as World of Battleships.

(you figure it out)

[-GPS-]
Members
2,954 posts
45,033 battles

[edited]

DDs should only be invisible when they're in smoke or hiding behind islands anyway. If you play a DD or a cruiser you're supposed to be a SUPPORT ship. You're supposed to help your capital ships. DDs are supposed to scout, cap, support the big ships instead of going YOLO.

When I play my Sims or my Benson I provide support. I provide smoke cover for battleships and cruisers. I do spotting. I use my torpedos to distrupt the enemy and keep them turning so they can't return fire as easily against friendlies. When another DD shows up, I try to spot them, throw down fire on them and hope my teammates do their jobs. You don't have to be able to fire from invisibility to perform your role.

/rant

Let me get this straight. You want DDs to scout for you, cap, and provide fire and torp support for your battle wagon, but they can only be undetected when they're hiding in smoke or behind an island. Please explain to me how a DD stays alive long enough to do those things. Smoke runs out and there isn't always an island nearby. Without another DD spotting for you, you can't shoot out of smoke anyway, and hiding behind an island you can't do squat. 

When I play DD, I do all of the things you describe in your second paragraph. That is how you contribute to victory. Blyskawica is the only DD which I regularly use invisifiring to burn and torment BB players. However, Russian DDs aren't easy to play when their detection range exceeds their firing range and touching off a gun gets you focused by the entire red fleet. AFAICT the bloom upon firing in the German DDs is just as bad but the ships are longer, fatter, and slower.  IOW perfect targets. 

I accidentally deleted the paragraph about how you are "forced" to camp your BB behind an island and snipe from afar.   You seem to think that the cruisers and DDs should run ahead and fight each other until no one is left except the BBs who then can engage like real battleships. Push up behind your cruisers and DDs. Use terrain to limit which enemy ships can shoot at you. Shoot at DDs within 10km. You can sink them with BB guns you know. And sometimes you just have to advance into that hellfire and take as many red ships with you as possible. That's a lot of fun actually, at least for me. 

I play BBs a fair amount now but started as a DD player, and I enjoy both classes. This game shouldn't be ruined just so that the BBs are the masters of the ocean while DDs and cruisers are lower class "support ships".

Edited by Landing_Skipper

[L-S-D]
Members
17 posts
17,911 battles

2017 the end of DDs and the rise of the BB empire. So whats next BBs? which class are you going to cry about until its nurfed to nothingness? I guess after DDs it will be CVs with their torp spamming and fire starting planes

• Cool 1

[FTACO]
Beta Testers
219 posts
4,723 battles

It's a fun life majorly investing and playing anything that ISN'T a battleship. *Sigh* So much things could be changed to make this game legitimately balanced, yet the biggest crowd keeps ruining things for everyone else.

I remember when I just start playing during CBT... There was a poll of what class of ship everyone was excited for/wanted to play... And I remember a crushing 70-80% of that list were people that just saw Battleship and thought "OMG Battleshipz, I wanna be totally OP and ignore game balance just because history channel skewed my perception of reality!"... or something along those lines. I couldn't help but look at those polls and think, that cannot be good if everyone just wants to play BBs for that reason. And about 2 years later, I was right.

It's funny, because the second largest answer on that poll were Carriers, and they got immediately shafted by all the whiners... Can we just make a separate game for all those baBBies who want World of Battleships? Remove Fires, remove torpedoes, remove strike aircraft, buff their RNG, have ships be spotted all the time, remove HE and make the only available map be ocean, shouldn't require much programming and this way the baBBies can have fun in their own little bow in world without having to ruin things for everyone else.

• Cool 3

Members
7 posts
10,111 battles

Let me get this straight. You want DDs to scout for you, cap, and provide fire and torp support for your battle wagon, but they can only be undetected when they're hiding in smoke or behind an island. Please explain to me how a DD stays alive long enough to do those things. Smoke runs out and there isn't always an island nearby. Without another DD spotting for you, you can't shoot out of smoke anyway, and hiding behind an island you can't do squat. 

When I play DD, I do all of the things you describe in your second paragraph. That is how you contribute to victory. Blyskawica is the only DD which I regularly use invisifiring to burn and torment BB players. However, Russian DDs aren't easy to play when their detection range exceeds their firing range and touching off a gun gets you focused by the entire red fleet. AFAICT the bloom upon firing in the German DDs is just as bad but the ships are longer, fatter, and slower.  IOW perfect targets. 

I accidentally deleted the paragraph about how you are "forced" to camp your BB behind an island and snipe from afar.   You seem to think that the cruisers and DDs should run ahead and fight each other until no one is left except the BBs who then can engage like real battleships. Push up behind your cruisers and DDs. Use terrain to limit which enemy ships can shoot at you. Shoot at DDs within 10km. You can sink them with BB guns you know. And sometimes you just have to advance into that hellfire and take as many red ships with you as possible. That's a lot of fun actually, at least for me. 

I play BBs a fair amount now but started as a DD player, and I enjoy both classes. This game shouldn't be ruined just so that the BBs are the masters of the ocean while DDs and cruisers are lower class "support ships".

So are you implying DDs aren't support ships? A role for which they are SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED? I can't remember, but which class of ship is called a capital ship, again? 

Members
7 posts
10,111 battles

I see a lot of hate a vitriol from a lot of people. Oddly very little complaining from battleship players. Yet we're the ones being labeled as the whiners. Even having our own little derogatory term attached. Maybe some introspection is in order.

Members
7 posts
10,111 battles

>rants about people seeking glory instead of teamplay

>ignores that teamplay is what gets invisfiring ships spotted

We're done here.

> ignores the entire point of the post being about teamwork and unfair advantages given to specific classes of ships.

I had an entire paragraph about how teamwork is necessary to win.

As for supporting destroyers, perhaps they would get more support if DD captains behaved more like team players. The most common complaints I see in battle chat is from cruiser and DD captains. Yet somehow BB captains get the denigrating labels.  

ie: "thanks for the support..."

"$#it team"

BB complaints in chat?

"Fricking HE spammers." 

Usually the complaint is about the enemy team. Usually. One day I'll find the time to archive and catalog class and complaint from each battle, then run a tally. Just to see who the biggest whiners actually are.

Members
5 posts

If they don't want stealth fire why can't they make the detection range when you fire whatever your firing range is so if you have a 12km fire range and a 6km detection range when you fire you'd have a 12km detection.  Seems fitting compared to 6km jump to 15km.

[RM]
Members
31 posts
9,705 battles

This game shouldn't be ruined just so that the BBs are the masters of the ocean while DDs and cruisers are lower class "support ships".

Anne, although some may appreciate you using paragraphs, you still posted a wall of text that most will not read, including myself.

I suspect most players have become numb to supporting friendly randoms in a battle because most of the time it gets ignored and often leads to your own demise.

You can't expect teammates to follow your lead, sometimes you got to go with the flow and adjust your speed accordingly.

To excel at your BB gameplay, it's likely that a change in your thought process and decision making during games would help a lot.

Your performance cannot be excused based on the performance and choices of your teammates.

You're running the German BB's the masters of close-up engagements.

If you cannot do above average damage, then it is difficult to say that you're making the most of its strengths.

[MAR_U]
Members
667 posts
8,099 battles

I see a lot of hate a vitriol from a lot of people. Oddly very little complaining from battleship players. Yet we're the ones being labeled as the whiners. Even having our own little derogatory term attached. Maybe some introspection is in order.

Why would BB drivers ever complain about KM DD's? They can be spotted very easily. Seems like this would be a direct result of stealth fire complaints, so BB drivers should be happy with the outcome here. Thus, no BB drivers complaining.

Perhaps some introspection is needed, but it's not just one party.

[FORGV]
Members
90 posts
10,806 battles

I want to toss a observation into the mix. I am a reasonably new player and have much yet to learn and I readily admit that. In game I will listen and do my best to learn and adapt, (learned this in the USMC) if it is constructive and thoughtful. I will however not even acknowledge those who show their self centered egos with stupid insults that really accomplish nothing but exposing their own IQ.

I feel there needs to be ship type and tier balance balance and as much as possible historical facts should influence this. I mostly drive BB's and am learning the other ones as I go. It is a game and I play for fun and challenge. If I know what to expect from each class I use and face it will let me adapt play accordingly. The reality is there MUST BE TEAM WORK! I can usually tell if it's going to be a win or loss in the chat or lack there of at the beginning of the battle. But some days they are just a better TEAM using what THEY have to adapt, improvise, and overcome. 

Sign in to follow this