Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sink_Stuff

Thank You WOWS for Stating That You Will Sell The USS Alabama

12 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,971 posts
13,729 battles

I will make a video thanking them for a lot of things, but this post is just for this specific thing. The USS Alabama means a lot to me. I lived in Pensacola, which is just across the bay from Mobile Alabama where the USS Alabama resides. I have visited the ship about 5 times. I wish I had visited it a lot more now that I no longer live close to it. I basically grew up with the ship as those 5 visits lasted from childhood through adult hood. I joined the US Navy and served 4 years as a hospital corpsman. So visiting the ship one last time after leaving the Navy was something i will never forget. You don't realize sometimes how little things like that affect you until something so crazy like this in the game brings it out.

Now I want to make a model of the USS Alabama and it may end up being one of my most played ships in the game even if it isn't that good. Ships are not like tanks. You can live on a ship and it can become home to you. The crew can become like family and for some people a better family than they have ever known. Ships are symbols of the entire nation and it's people. The USS Alabama might be called the Alabama, just a state, but it is a symbol of the American Navy to all Americans. Say what you will about the US Navy, but it was at the time I was in it, the most powerful Navy in the entire world for a good long while. It may even be today, I just don't know.

Letting us buy the Alabama is like letting Romans have the Colosseum. It is like letting Japan have the Yamato again. Dare I say it would be like letting Russians have the T-34 or the Mig-15. It's important in that sentimental, nationalistic pride sort of way. It inspires people to be more than what they are. It reminds people that they can be part of something bigger than themselves if they choose. 

So, thank you once again and yes I will make a video about this.

• Cool 1

[BOOTY]
Beta Testers
385 posts
9,446 battles

Nice to see some people get it. Now here comes all the people whining about how there are too many greedy whiners on the forums. Not everyone who wants it is a "collector" player. I for one am not even going to buy it, but I am still really grateful for them releasing it to the public. 

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,885 posts
21,740 battles

your'e late to the party, they announced this last Monday!:P

[MCWF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
29,091 battles

Sometimes WG listen to the player... was one of the activist from Murmanskgate :trollface:

So we kept the Murmansk, the 5 extra port slots, the gold and the premiumtime from CBT.

8,843 posts
7,637 battles

They announced it last monday, I think it was missed due to all the threads crying about it, and the OP saying that they would TK all ST Alabamas (because that would make a difference)

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,991 posts
760 battles

They also felt it necessary to announce to the rest of the world that we were "whining".

But the rest of the world will benefit from our "whining"

You're welcome, guys.

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, WoWS Community Contributors
2,783 posts
15,287 battles

your'e late to the party, they announced this last Monday!:P

I suspect he's been on a time-out after his antics last week.

Beta Testers
196 posts
25,209 battles

Sometimes WG listen to the player... was one of the activist from Murmanskgate :trollface:

So we kept the Murmansk, the 5 extra port slots, the gold and the premiumtime from CBT.

How is funny someone got fired over a $1 digital ship? 

[SYN]
Members
5,947 posts
13,808 battles

From this day forward, there will be a mega-tsunamis of whining over anything, now that WG has shown they will cave in to it.

[_AFW_]
551 posts
8,359 battles

How is funny someone got fired over a $1 digital ship? 

Crazy right? But the whole idea of "community support" is to give players a good experience and convince them to spend money on you.

That incident probably cost WG hundreds of thousands of dollars in expected Murmansk sales, and ruined their relationship with humble bundle forever. This was definitely WG's fault, but Gunlion provided the line saying that we could keep it into OBT and thus provided the smoking gun, legally speaking. WG was forced to concede, and basically lost that dude's salary multiple times over. I'm sure nobody wanted to see him go but damn, you do that at any other company and the result would be the same. Let's hope he got a good severance package.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,991 posts
760 battles

Gunlion took the brunt of the blame for something that wasn't his fault. He was giving information he was given to give to us. Ard gave the same information and was not fired.

So what happened to Gunlion is regrettable, but it is in no way, shape or form the playerbase's fault. 

Sign in to follow this