Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_Zeka

So i Maxed my Kiev

19 comments in this topic

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,370 posts
14,181 battles

So I maxed my Kiev with modules and upgrades. Finally finished the commander retrain with AFT plus Demo Expert. This was my first game that I played with the new and improved Kiev

kCEPoNK.jpg

I think I get the picture. If the rest of the VFM DD line are anything like the Kiev then I think i may as well die and go to heaven

Members
522 posts

The Kiev is great and I have heard great things about the T9 and T10...but the Tashkent...not so great.

Trashcan has the 8km torpedoes and reduced detection from the module. It really isn't as bad as people claim. 

[-GPS-]
Members
2,954 posts
45,000 battles

Outstanding!

Kiev with BFT, AFT and Demo Expert is a force to be reckoned with :D

Can believe this is the post-nerf version of Kiev?  Wish I could've played the pre-nerf version...

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

Trashcan has the 8km torpedoes and reduced detection from the module. It really isn't as bad as people claim. 

It may not be "as" bad as people claim. But even with the concealment module and CE, its still going to be the most visible DD in almost all matches. And with that set up you miss out on important captain skills and the valuable rudder shift. Since it turns like a heavy cruiser, that rudder shift is IMO vital. The 8km torps are a big improvement, but since the Tash's detection range is over 9k...its still not good. Don't get me wrong, I have had several great games in it with the volume of HE, quite a few 100k+ damage games. But its by no means a "good ship".

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,370 posts
14,181 battles

It may not be "as" bad as people claim. But even with the concealment module and CE, its still going to be the most visible DD in almost all matches. And with that set up you miss out on important captain skills and the valuable rudder shift. Since it turns like a heavy cruiser, that rudder shift is IMO vital. The 8km torps are a big improvement, but since the Tash's detection range is over 9k...its still not good. Don't get me wrong, I have had several great games in it with the volume of HE, quite a few 100k+ damage games. But its by no means a "good ship".

I think your problem here is that you're not playing the Tashkent the way its MEANT to be played. Stay at range, where you're a very hard target to hit. WASD hax like there's no tomorrow. AFT and Demo Expert both help exponentially. Dont bother with concealment; If you've made it as far as tier VIII is VFM DDs you'd be used to spending most of the game spotted anyways, so thats not an issue. Just stay at range, about 9-10km+ and burn everything that you shouldnt be around. Also, DONT underestimate ur AP shells. Against a broadside CA or even a broadside BB your AP can net 2-3k damage salvoes
Edited by BlueMistPvP

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

I think your problem here is that you're not playing the Tashkent the way its MEANT to be played. Stay at range, where you're a very hard target to hit. WASD hax like there's no tomorrow. AFT and Demo Expert both help exponentially. Dont bother with concealment; If you've made it as far as tier VIII is VFM DDs you'd be used to spending most of the game spotted anyways, so thats not an issue. Just stay at range, about 9-10km+ and burn everything that you shouldnt be around. Also, DONT underestimate ur AP shells. Against a broadside CA or even a broadside BB your AP can net 2-3k damage salvoes

That is what I do, I am aware how to play it. I was arguing against using concealment mod.  I just think it is inferior to the Kiev do its loss in mobility and its high detection. Its not good at contesting caps, which is fine when other dds are taking caps, but a problem when that job is left to you.

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,370 posts
14,181 battles

That is what I do, I am aware how to play it. I was arguing against using concealment mod.  I just think it is inferior to the Kiev do its loss in mobility and its high detection. Its not good at contesting caps, which is fine when other dds are taking caps, but a problem when that job is left to you.

I get where your arguement lies, but again, Tashkent is better then Kiev from what I've heard. Tashkent offers more room for error thanks to its massive HP pool for a DD of her tier, as well as sporting access to Upgrade Slot 6 and gaining that massive reduction in rudder shift time. All in all, Tashkent is an upgrade from Kiev. The only real threat to you is another Tashkent or higher tier VFM DD, so long as you know what you're doing

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

I get where your arguement lies, but again, Tashkent is better then Kiev from what I've heard. Tashkent offers more room for error thanks to its massive HP pool for a DD of her tier, as well as sporting access to Upgrade Slot 6 and gaining that massive reduction in rudder shift time. All in all, Tashkent is an upgrade from Kiev. The only real threat to you is another Tashkent or higher tier VFM DD, so long as you know what you're doing

I suppose different people click with different ships regardless of how "good" or "bad" the ship is, and good/bad is absolutely debatable. For me the Kiev felt well balanced. I enjoyed her even when I didn't do great, and I managed to get some great games out of her. The Tashkent doesn't (IMO) have the same balance, its top heavy (not literally but I think you can understand my meaning). While I have had some great games in it, I never enjoyed it has much, and the bad games are downright frustrating. I would argue the Kiev offers more room for error than the Tash, if for no other reason than its matchmaking is often less forgiving. I am very excited about moving up to the T9-10s soon, and will maybe even repurchase the Kiev one day.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,646 battles

Steering Gears Mod 3 is a fools errand IMHO. Yes it reduces your rudder shift, but does NOTHING to the stat that actually matters, the turning circle.

Fantastic, your Russian Rudder is hard over, you're still gonna turn like a bus. Tashkent has 730m turning circle while the Benson, for example, has a 570m one.

The reason a Warspite can dance around torpedoes isn't its rudder shift, it's the 530m turning circle it has.

Personally, I go with stealth builds on my VMF DDs. Makes them far more versatile and far more useful in domination games. Stealth torping in a Tashkent or Udaloi is hilarious. People don't WASD when they see that there is "Only" a Russian DD left.

Members
268 posts
4,012 battles

I think the issue with Tashkent is it's too big of a target .Even with steering mod 3 and WASD hax it still having problems dodging shells, especially cruisers from T8 and above generally have great concealment.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Steering Gears Mod 3 is a fools errand IMHO. Yes it reduces your rudder shift, but does NOTHING to the stat that actually matters, the turning circle.

Fantastic, your Russian Rudder is hard over, you're still gonna turn like a bus. Tashkent has 730m turning circle while the Benson, for example, has a 570m one.

The reason a Warspite can dance around torpedoes isn't its rudder shift, it's the 530m turning circle it has.

Personally, I go with stealth builds on my VMF DDs. Makes them far more versatile and far more useful in domination games. Stealth torping in a Tashkent or Udaloi is hilarious. People don't WASD when they see that there is "Only" a Russian DD left.

SGM3 isn't for the torps

It's to weave between shells flung your way.

One of the problems with Trashcan is that massive and easy to hit size, followed by reduced gunnery range.

Since you are larger and closer, you end up being easier to nail with shells.

With SGM3, you can WASD between shells much easier.

[SYN]
Members
5,947 posts
13,808 battles

Kept my Kiev.  One of my favorite ships in the entire game.

Don't listen to the noise about the Tashkent.  It's nowhere near as bad as many claim it is.  IMO, it's quite good as long as the captain has AFT.  Not as good at Tier VIII as the Kiev is at Tier VII, but still very effective.  Problem is that people try playing it like a destroyer, that which it is not.  As Tashkent (and Kiev), you're a cruiser.  A very high-speed, hard to hit (at range), machine-gun cruiser with workable torpedoes in a pinch.

Play them both similarly and you will enjoy similar success in both.

Edited by Kuckoo

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,370 posts
14,181 battles

I'm almost to my 10th skill on Gnevy, what should I get first, aft or demo expert? 

At tier V(and VI)...Demo Expert. But from Kiev and up....AFT all the way. You can opt for Demo Expert later 

[SYN]
Members
5,947 posts
13,808 battles

I'm almost to my 10th skill on Gnevy, what should I get first, aft or demo expert? 

You're going to set fires left and right with the Gnevny, whether you have DE or not.  I went with AFT, and happy with it.  A 14km gun range with that boat is a wonderful thing.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,753 posts
21,568 battles

At tier V(and VI)...Demo Expert. But from Kiev and up....AFT all the way. You can opt for Demo Expert later 

You're going to set fires left and right with the Gnevny, whether you have DE or not.  I went with AFT, and happy with it.  A 14km gun range with that boat is a wonderful thing.

I don't plan on keeping it so I guess the real question is which is more important to get first as I finish it and continue heading up the line. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,646 battles

SGM3 isn't for the torps

It's to weave between shells flung your way.

Again, SGM3 doesn't help much. To weave between shells you need a good TURNING CIRCLE with a reasonable rudder shift. Give the Tashkent a 1 second rudder shift and it still won't weave as well.

Sign in to follow this