You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Aeries1

The Pepsicola Challenge

36 comments in this topic

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

So I abandoned the US cruiser line long ago stopping at the Cleveland due to so much hate I kept reading about them from the Pepsi onward.  Other day I decided wth, I will give it a go and see what I can do.  To my surprise I am loving this boat.  The AP on this thing is what the German boats wish they had (and should have imo with their horrendous HE) and is ridiculously deadly.  Having the best cruiser AP in the game and pretty good HE I am finding she is a very versatile boat.  Was averaging about 78k a game in it till I had a couple of oops moments 2 different games with Iowa's and the islands I was lofting shells from behind was not giving me the cover I thought I had lol.  Still all in all I am having a blast so far and look forward to what I can squeeze out of the most hated cruiser line in the game.

Think this is a new citadel record for me in one game and includes an angled York I one-shot at 5 km from full health with 7 citadels.   

Pensacola_zpsl2osshmu.png

​Pretty good start, those 2 oops games cost me, but all in all pretty happy so far.  Don't even have CE yet.

PASC012.png Pensacola 7 CA/CL USA 21 57.14% 60,528 1,307 2.0 1.2 2.0 38% 39% 0% 1,876
Edited by Aeries1
  • Cool 1

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
4,863 battles

angled York I one-shot at 5 km from full health with 7 citadels.

This is a hyperbole, right? Every time I shot at a completely broadsiding cruiser I got a maximum of two citadels, a couple bounces, and a couple overpens, regardless of range...

Members
152 posts
8,715 battles

nice match! ce will make you scary.

new dawn is a good candidate to get those citadels, with the ring-a-round the b cap meta. lots of broadsides.

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

you, sir, are a rare bird indeed. pose so we can take a picture.

Pensacola is the cause of many ragings and wailings and gnashing of teeth.

Beta Testers
562 posts
3,511 battles

Welcome to the club; the Pensacola is my favorite ship in the game. I usually don't like to talk about my performance, but as of this comment I am in the top 20 Pensacola captains on this server by winrate (100 game minimum). I love helping aspiring Pensacola captains.

This is a hyperbole, right? Every time I shot at a completely broadsiding cruiser I got a maximum of two citadels, a couple bounces, and a couple overpens, regardless of range...

Actually, the Pensacola is the only USN cruiser past tier 5 that I could feasibly get the "devastating strike" medal for without a detonation.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

So I abandoned the US cruiser line long ago stopping at the Cleveland due to so much hate I kept reading about them from the Pepsi onward.  Other day I decided wth, I will give it a go and see what I can do.  To my surprise I am loving this boat.  The AP on this thing is what the German boats wish they had (and should have imo with their horrendous HE) and is ridiculously deadly.  Having the best cruiser AP in the game and pretty good HE I am finding she is a very versatile boat.  Was averaging about 78k a game in it till I had a couple of oops moments 2 different games with Iowa's and the islands I was lofting shells from behind was not giving me the cover I thought I had lol.  Still all in all I am having a blast so far and look forward to what I can squeeze out of the most hated cruiser line in the game.

Think this is a new citadel record for me in one game and includes an angled York I one-shot at 5 km from full health with 7 citadels.   

Pensacola_zpsl2osshmu.png

​Pretty good start, those 2 oops games cost me, but all in all pretty happy so far.  Don't even have CE yet.

PASC012.png Pensacola 7 CA/CL USA 21 57.14% 60,528 1,307 2.0 1.2 2.0 38% 39% 0% 1,876

I've noticed something about the Pensacola in general...

First to Fight, First to Flight, First to Die.

Most the times I encounter a Pensacola, she's the first red ship I see. I mean, quite often before a red destroyer! And it almost never fails that when she's the first one sighted, she must be thinking "oh poo" cause you see her do a 45/90 or 180 turn to escape. Then you see her die and all this in the first minute after her sighting. 

I really like the USN line up to the Cleveland. I seem to recall her having a longer range than she currently has but that could be fuzzified memory acting up on me. I bought the NO but dumped her after others told me the Baltimore was more of the same. So now I'm heavy into the German lines. 

But all the more power to you if you can survive the grind to the top. I see some darn good work out of the top tier USN cruisers. 

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
4,863 battles

Welcome to the club; the Pensacola is my favorite ship in the game. I usually don't like to talk about my performance, but as of this comment I am in the top 20 Pensacola captains on this server by winrate (100 game minimum). I love helping aspiring Pensacola captains.

Actually, the Pensacola is the only USN cruiser past tier 5 that I could feasibly get the "devastating strike" medal for without a detonation.

While I do enjoy the Pensacola's guns, the concealment makes it really hard to use them well, even if I'm trying to fire or hide behind islands, however it was a lot easier for me to get citadel shots with the German (not Yorck) or Russian equivalents.

Beta Testers
562 posts
3,511 battles

-snip

I really like the USN line up to the Cleveland. I seem to recall her having a longer range than she currently has but that could be fuzzified memory acting up on me. I bought the NO but dumped her after others told me the Baltimore was more of the same. So now I'm heavy into the German lines. 

-snip-

The Cleveland had better range, rof, and turret rotation before the AFT/BFT/EM nerf. One of the many nerfs that ship has suffered. :sceptic:

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

​100% not hyperbole, not one to exaggerate.  Sorry didn't save a cursor image over the York to show rounds hit, but you can see the dev strike icon in the 1st picture.  He was probably at 40 to 45 degree angle, enough to have his rear guns in play.  Of course US AP doesn't autobounce till 67.5.

Pens2_zpsr1bujk6t.png

Edited by Aeries1

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
4,863 battles

100% not hyperbole, not one to exaggerate.  Sorry didn't save a cursor image over the York to show rounds hit, but you can see the dev strike icon in the 1st picture.  He was probably at 40 to 45 degree angle, enough to have his rear guns in play.  Of course US AP doesn't autobounce till 67.5.

Pens2_zpsr1bujk6t.png

I literally can't even... Wow.

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

Well as someone who is just revisiting a line I have hardly touched in a year any advice?  Focusing on a guns build right now since I know Pens and NO's AA is rather meh.  Got a 12 pt. captain currently and have BFT, EM, SI (for when I reach T8/9 for more radar/heal), DE to boost HE a bit, and working on CE.  Mods are MBM1, AA Mod, STG1, STG2.  Thought about AFT instead of DE, but thought a gun focused build might be more beneficial.

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

While I do enjoy the Pensacola's guns, the concealment makes it really hard to use them well, even if I'm trying to fire or hide behind islands, however it was a lot easier for me to get citadel shots with the German (not Yorck) or Russian equivalents.

​That is the ultimate challenge of this ship, it sees a lot of BBs that are stealthier than it is.  Honestly the absolute first thing I do is make a bee line for the nearest cover, preferably an island I can hide behind where I can isolate individual targets 1 by 1 and avoid BB fire.  You will never see me in the open trying to dance and sling HE/AP unless absolutely necessary and am being overrun.  With her detection she can literally not ever get away.  The hard part is being patient and waiting to pounce while your team is taking fire.  It goes against every grain of my game play because I feel like I am not contributing.  Thing is I can't do much when I am dev striked to the bottom by a BB salvo. 
Edited by Aeries1

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
4,863 battles

That is the ultimate challenge of this ship, it sees a lot of BBs that are stealthier than it is.  Honestly the absolute first thing I do is make a bee line for the nearest cover, preferably an island I can hide behind where I can isolate individual targets 1 by 1 and avoid BB fire.  You will never see me in the open trying to dance and sling HE/AP unless absolutely necessary and am being overrun.  With her detection she can literally not ever get away.  The hard part is being patient and waiting to pounce while your team is taking fire.  It goes against every grain of my game play because I feel like I am not contributing.  Thing is I can't do much when I am dev striked to the bottom by a BB salvo. 

Thing about islands though, is that the Pensacola's concealment is so bad, that an enemy DD in another cap has the chance to spot you, because you're not hiding from them, you're hiding from the enemies straight infront of you.

Alpha Tester
444 posts
2,983 battles

Thing about islands though, is that the Pensacola's concealment is so bad, that an enemy DD in another cap has the chance to spot you, because you're not hiding from them, you're hiding from the enemies straight infront of you.

This is absolutely the biggest learning curve of the Pepsi. You have to remember that your enormous spotting distance (plus the bonus distance for actually firing your guns) extends 360 degrees around you. All it takes is a little window between islands and somebody minding their own business the next cap over will see you.

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

​On some maps you are absolutely right and that's what got me in trouble those 2 T9 games.  That and I didn't think the rounds had the angle to plunge on me...........I was very wrong.  Finished both those games with just a few thousand points of damage done sadly.  Most maps I know where to go to be safe, others I really need to evaluate what is my best firing position based on where BBs are.  I try to look for big mountains to hug and catch ships coming around 1 by 1 to engage in close, usually less than 10km.  Least that is what has been working so far for me.  Still working on it. 

[DO-IT]
Members
175 posts
6,397 battles

I loved my Pensacola, you really just need to stay at range, wasd, and use AP and you will do fine.

Beta Testers
562 posts
3,511 battles

Well as someone who is just revisiting a line I have hardly touched in a year any advice?  Focusing on a guns build right now since I know Pens and NO's AA is rather meh.  Got a 12 pt. captain currently and have BFT, EM, SI (for when I reach T8/9 for more radar/heal), DE to boost HE a bit, and working on CE.  Mods are MBM1, AA Mod, STG1, STG2.  Thought about AFT instead of DE, but thought a gun focused build might be more beneficial.

A bit of a warning, my build is a bit... unorthodox... no... seriously someone is going to call me crazy for this playbook.

captain skills:

• Expert loader(?!) (yes, you read that right. As you go around islands 7.5 seconds to switch to the right shell rather than 15 seconds has it's advantages)
  • Basics of survivability
  • Expert Marksman
  • Incoming fire alert(?!) (That warning should allow you to throw it in reverse + full turn + full steam ahead again; should take care of the 'kill the Pensacola' syndrome. Added effect of the enemy wasting a salvo on you)
  • Vigilance (I actually recommend this above superintendent for the entire line, even with heals; yeah yeah wasd hax etc. Won't save you from a bad turn + you don't need superintendent on the cola anyways.)
  • Survivability expert(?!) (400 added hp per tier = 2800 more hp, you wouldn't believe how many games I have won on that hp)
  • I skipped on concealment expert for the Pensacola, not really worth it to me, but it's up to you.
  • At 19 17 points I will probably get demolition expert for the fires since it seems to be the most useful of the ones I can still reach.

(Math is hard)

Remember, this is the PENSACOLA captain, I wouldn't dream on using this build on ANY other ship in the game.

Other thoughts on capt skills: I do like the Des Moines, it is the only ship I have kept past the Pensacola in that line. Even still I would recommend vigilance over superintendent for the first pass, grab concealment expert this time, then go back for superintendent for the 18th skill point.

Upgrades:

• Main bat mod 1
  • Aiming systems mod 1
  • damage control mod 1 (engines/steering gets knocked out quite often so one of those wouldn't be a bad option either)
  • Steering gears mod 2 (for the emergency brake and turn juke as mentioned above)
Edited by Stonehammers

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
4,863 battles

This is absolutely the biggest learning curve of the Pepsi. You have to remember that your enormous spotting distance (plus the bonus distance for actually firing your guns) extends 360 degrees around you. All it takes is a little window between islands and somebody minding their own business the next cap over will see you.

On some maps you are absolutely right and that's what got me in trouble those 2 T9 games.  That and I didn't think the rounds had the angle to plunge on me...........I was very wrong.  Finished both those games with just a few thousand points of damage done sadly.  Most maps I know where to go to be safe, others I really need to evaluate what is my best firing position based on where BBs are.  I try to look for big mountains to hug and catch ships coming around 1 by 1 to engage in close, usually less than 10km.  Least that is what has been working so far for me.  Still working on it. 

​Welp, I guess these tips are too late now anyways, I'm not onto the New Orleans and the radar + concealment looks to make the ship a whole lot more enjoyable, especially considering I didn't hate the Pensacola as much as some anyways.

Alpha Tester
444 posts
2,983 battles

​Welp, I guess these tips are too late now anyways, I'm not onto the New Orleans and the radar + concealment looks to make the ship a whole lot more enjoyable, especially considering I didn't hate the Pensacola as much as some anyways.

If you can make Pepsi work, the biggest problem you'll have with NO is remembering that as nice as the concealment and Radar are they don't make you invincible. It's a more comfortable ship than Pepsi, but it can trick you into getting TOO comfortable.

[F-U]
Members
205 posts
3,248 battles

I assure you It can be done. If you're close enough and aim just right.

[OTG]
Beta Testers
593 posts
10,783 battles

443 games in the Penzacola I really like this ship.  My Build is similar to your SH except I dont think I have the 400hp/tier one I think I have the fire starter and secondary boost.  Those secondaries are deadly against DDs.  The key to loving the 'Cola is embracing her spotting distance, I use it to 'tank' as much damage in it as I do in my 'Rado.

Opening - Max range WASD to 'tank' for the BBs

Midgame - HIt and run harassment and DD/AA screening

Endgame - DD hunter/killer

• Cool 1

Members
24 posts

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegI just got my Pensacola. I used my free xp to beat Phoenix and omaha then I got the Cleveland and so I played it but I did not like it and also have an Indianapolis and I liked the ammo so I got myself the Pensacola and I played two rounds and it's good. Bad armor on the broadside though.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Members
482 posts
25,472 battles

Did 89K damage in my base Pensacola with no upgrades and a half trained 10pt captain in the second random battle played. I had 2 citadels and lots of damage against a Prinz Eugen. Late in the battle I caught up with a Myoko, Nagato and enemy CV. Turned bow on to the Nagato while firing at the Myoko and enemy CV which my team mates eventually blew up. I rammed the Nagato at the end doing about 25K in damage but he still had enough health so I didn't sink him. It was a fun team victory and so far I'm enjoying the Pensacola over the Cleveland which I finally sold off after grinding the XP for the Pensacola. I like the other Tier 7 cruisers like Myokos, ARP versions and the Yorck as they are a good challenge to inflict damage while trying to survive in a battle. I do wish I had some torps on the Pensacola.:playing:  Note: It starts fires easily even without CE as 4th captain skill and I'm using SE.

Edited by dust340man

[TORP]
[TORP]
Members
290 posts
40,741 battles

I have had good battles and really crap battles with the Pepsi Cola.  Overall like the ship an 8 second reload would make it fantastic

Edited by diddlyv