You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaWolf1965

From Emerald to Leander...

25 comments in this topic

Members
25 posts
14,846 battles

Hi, Only been playing for 2 weeks. Made all the newbie mistakes but am getting the hang of it.

I am sitting in Emerald with about 12K XP and need to grind it out to 36K for Leander?

Crikey. I am not racking up 100 hits per battle or 1K XP per battle.

Am I missing something?

If I buy a premium ship I will end up getting kicked around in a Tier I am not ready for...

Also grinding upwards in the German tech tree with the Nassau...

Suggestions?

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

Unfortunately the RN cruiser line is not very newbie friendly, you might try going up a few other lines to learn the ropes in the lower tiers a bit better.

• Cool 3

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,305 posts
23,632 battles

Just keep at it. Leander is pretty good so is worth it. All of those extra battles are excellent training. Also be aware it only get slower lol.

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,371 posts
14,183 battles

To be honest, the RN CLs are for skilled captians only. They get citadeled out of the water by anyone who so much as looks at you the wrong way, and do NOT forgive mistakes. If you want to play RN CLs then i would suggest playing down the USN DD line first to get the hang how to be semi-elusive, effectively dodge incoming fire, etc.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,021 posts
4,739 battles

Leander is really good. If you are already at the Emerald you might as well atleast get the tier 6. 

[HINON]
Members
3,375 posts
32,575 battles

Emerald is such a pain. This AM a Colorado landed 2 shells and deleted me from full health and I was sharply angled too. it's not safe.

[OTG]
Beta Testers
593 posts
10,764 battles

Welcome to WOWS.  Just the fact that you are here on the forums means you are already a step ahead of the average player.  I have to agree with my collegues that the RN CLs are difficult ships to master but does very well in capable hands.  I have never played the US DD line so my most valuable experience for playing the RNCLs came from the Gveny (Soviet DD) and the Penzicola.

I would suggest that, as a new player, you will increase your skill the most by playing a lot of different classes of ships from different nations.  Not only will it develop skills that are more important for that ship, it will give you insight into the weeknesess of those ships when you face them.  And I would encourage you to resist the urge to skip past tiers. Teirs now or tears later ( I just made that up, funny right?!?!)

Edited by Ujenele
  • Cool 3

[ANZ4C]
Alpha Tester
325 posts
9,480 battles

Firstly welcome to the community,

Secondly, as the others have said the RN CLs are a very high skill floor line to play, with the first 5 tiers being a slog before the line really comes into it's own; I personally believe the Leander is one of the best ships in the game.

If you want to learn the game better before circling back to this line, my recommendation would be to play the USN DDs as the hunter killer approach of that line resonates with the RN CLs; both lines are about holding fire till opportune moments, then hosing down the enemy while wiggling like mad.

• Cool 1

[GLF]
Beta Testers
795 posts

First off, a warm welcome to you.

Don't be in a rush! Hang around the lower tiers and as others have said, try out different lines/types. Fine the line that 'fits'. You'll know it almost immediately. When I first started this game it was, for me, BB's. BB's till dawn. Didn't take long to figure out CA/CL's (especially CL's) were my 'fit'

If you see someone flying an ALPHA or CBT flag, ask them questions, or better yet, after you sink, piggy-back with them and watch what they do, how they play. Or any other good player you notice on your team.

I fly my CBT flag in all ships, tier 4 and under, and I will answer all questions without being a jerk

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

Emerald is a ship designed to make you want to free XP past it.

It gets cit'ed if a shell lands closer than 50 yards from your ship. Almost easier to cit at an angle, rather than a flat broadside. :teethhappy:

Members
779 posts
8,226 battles

Hi, Only been playing for 2 weeks. Made all the newbie mistakes but am getting the hang of it.

I am sitting in Emerald with about 12K XP and need to grind it out to 36K for Leander?

Crikey. I am not racking up 100 hits per battle or 1K XP per battle.

Am I missing something?

If I buy a premium ship I will end up getting kicked around in a Tier I am not ready for...

Also grinding upwards in the German tech tree with the Nassau...

Suggestions?

Just stuck a captain thing on the leander scrapper i just ground :tea_cap:.Bagged a scharnhorst.

YPFacRa.jpg

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,873 battles

The River Plate event is coming to a close... 

Things will get better for those getting baby-seal-clubbed for damage needed for that 1M credit prize and 50%+ capt xp.

Are you doing it right?  Answer with a question -- 'Are you having Fun?'

This is a game.  The wrong ways of playing lead to misery.... and not fun.

Do what you enjoy doing and don't worry about the score.

• Cool 1

Members
665 posts
5,459 battles

Firstly welcome to the community,

Secondly, as the others have said the RN CLs are a very high skill floor line to play, with the first 5 tiers being a slog before the line really comes into it's own; I personally believe the Leander is one of the best ships in the game.

If you want to learn the game better before circling back to this line, my recommendation would be to play the USN DDs as the hunter killer approach of that line resonates with the RN CLs; both lines are about holding fire till opportune moments, then hosing down the enemy while wiggling like mad.

Have to fully agree with my mate Crucias on this, Leander is a fantastic ship if used right.

Yes it is still fairly squishy, and will bite you hard if you get it wrong.......but if you get it right........

TymhK02.jpg

This was from a few weeks ago, but did have another match yesterday for 107K damage.

Am playing her almost exclusively ATM as I am almost at 15 pts for her captain(which will be my first one).

So keep at it. 

Members
557 posts

Welcome to Floaty Boats OP!

First, I just finished the Emerald grind and it is not as bad as people are making it out to be.

With the lower tier RN cruisers, you have to understand  your role, which is a supporting, defensive ship.

You exercise patience. Find cover. Wait for the battle to develop. Pop smoke and start spamming AP.

Avoid battleships. Move to another area if confronted by them.

You are good at taking on other cruisers and dd's. RN AP is actually good against dd's, unlike other nations AP rounds.

Remember, your smoke is not for covering your team, unless someone wants to join you, it is for you to use to fire from cover.

And don't forget you have torpedo's. Again, use terrain to protect yourself as get into  position. Let your bb's get the enemies attention and tank damage, then attack.

RN cruisers are very nimble. Just don't show your broadside, something that applies to any cruiser really.

Watch some video's on how to play the RN cruisers. They are not over powered, nor are they underpowered. You just have to learn when to attack and when to run.

Good luck and fair seas.

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles

Well, when you have time to, I have some How To Videos on the Royal Navy Cruiser Lines that may be of help to you!

How to Emerald:

And How to Leander:

Leander is such a good upgrade from Emerald it's not even funny.  I may buy the Leander back when I'm done grinding up the RNCL line! :)

Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

My average damage in Leander is 48500  at just under 100 matches played. She is a very capable ship well worth the grind I would say and it only gets better with Fiji.

Members
25 posts
14,846 battles

Yeah, I kinda jumped in, not knowing one country's line from the other and not having a connection to Russian or Japanese...I chose RN.  Apparently a tough line to learn on.

I am, however, having fun with the German line, battling with the Nassau and the Karlshrue.

Back to the Emerald, it's been so frustrating that I have been saving XP for the jump to Leander.  Must I  or Should I do the intermediate upgrades?  The B Hull, Mk VII Torpedoes and Fire Control mod 2?

[OTG]
Beta Testers
593 posts
10,764 battles

Yeah, I kinda jumped in, not knowing one country's line from the other and not having a connection to Russian or Japanese...I chose RN.  Apparently a tough line to learn on.

I am, however, having fun with the German line, battling with the Nassau and the Karlshrue.

Back to the Emerald, it's been so frustrating that I have been saving XP for the jump to Leander.  Must I  or Should I do the intermediate upgrades?  The B Hull, Mk VII Torpedoes and Fire Control mod 2?

To get to the next ship you have to at a minimum do the hull upgrades.  If you click on the ship it will add all the upgrades you need to get into the total cost.  XP for research you dont need to actually purchase them.

In regards to ship fustration, I would suggest saving the exp to use on the upgrades once you grind out to another ship.  Stock buiilds can be fustrating in just about all ships.  I avoid stock whenver I can I will save up my free xp to get all upgrades at lower tiers and at least the upgraded hull at upper tiers.

[GLF]
Beta Testers
795 posts

The one thing you have to remember about Emerald...she faces +2 enemies where Danae faces only +1. I mean there is little difference between Danae and Emerald, other than size. Emerald is hurt bad facing +2 and if Danae had to face +2, results would be similar

Members
557 posts

When you free xp past ships, you also lose out on commander training.

The Emerald is a good learning experience. It will show you where you need to improve your play. If you free xp past it, you will miss out on those leaning opportunities and will most likely suffer in Leander.

The RN CA is more challenging to play than other nations, but it will also teach you how to play smarter, and your game will be the better for it.

Good luck and fair seas.

Members
25 posts
14,846 battles

When I am in Port, looking at Nassau, the upgrade to Kaiser is displayed as 8400 

If I hover over Kaiser, it says 8400.   But when I click on Kaiser it reads "Research price 10,400 

Members
25 posts
14,846 battles

The XP numbers you guys are posting (with Leander) are unbelievable but are incentive to continue the grind through with Emerald.

A few thoughts / questions.

Do XP bonuses max out or are they cumulative?  Camouflage that gives 50% XP and a Signal that gives 100% XP plus a Premium account and an Elite Ship.... can you earn 400% XP in each sortie?

Also, is the number displayed at the end of the battle your raw XP score or does it reflect all bonuses?

Looking ahead, getting into the higher tier BBs will require 77K and >100K XP.  The 2M credits I could care about. The XP takes time.

Does it get easier because of the relative damage a Tier VII can do?  

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

I'd play another line, such as KM BBs, as a beginner. RN CLs are extremely difficult to play for the average player, let alone a beginner.