You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RoundsDownRange

World of Warships 2017 Preview

21 comments in this topic

[QC103]
Beta Testers
1,395 posts
16,457 battles

Soviet Destroyer Branch Update:

We're happy to highlight the history of the Russian Navy with an alternate branch of the best Soviet destroyers of the Cold War era. Expect ships like Smelyi, Neustrashimyi and the Project 56 destroyers!

Russian DDs? Funny how most ships in game are WW II yet and I quote "best Soviet destroyers of the Cold War era" and then we wonder why the Russian ships do better. Look at the dates of the Russian ships you will find most are modern compared to all the others of the same tier. 

Oh that's right, they didn't have a Navy during WWII, and they were infantry fighting in the cities, striping armaments from ships to make field fortifications (nice video by the way WG).

Tier 1

Hashidate 1940 IJN

Erie 1939 USA

Orlan 1941 USSR

Hermelin 1939 Germany

Black Swan 1939 UK

Tier 5

Furutaka 1926 IJN

Omaha 1923 USA

Kirov 1938 USSR

Konigsberg 1929 Germany

Emerald 1926 UK

Tier 8

Mogami 1935 IJN

New Orleans 1934 USA

Chapayev 1950 USSR

Hipper 1939 Germany

Edinburgh 1939 UK

Tier 10

Zao 1941 IJN

Des Moines 1948 USA

Moskva 1953 USSR

Hindenburg 1940 Germany

Minotaur 1947 UK

Now granted some of these ships were design only and never saw real service but I find it funny that a supposed game which features itself as a WWII era game has to use ships from the “cold war” so they can show their flag.  Yet there are Nations out there like France, Italy, Great Britain and her common wealth allies which are still not in this game.  I wish WG would take a back seat with their National Pride and give the gamer's the Nations that fought WWII at sea and stop with their propaganda fleet.

Thank you for reading.  

• Cool 3

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

The ships they chose aren't even that interesting. They are ASW Destroyers with 4 guns and 10 torps. They are far more advanced in terms of radar etc than ships in the game, but for gun ships/ships within this game they are boring.

[ECOM]
Beta Testers
838 posts
11,053 battles

Honestly it kind of looks like they are just pandering to the Russian player base.  It is also probably why we will likely being seeing a Russian BB line that is half Paper ships. 

Edited by ClockworkSpectre

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,534 posts
29,659 battles

You are right that the Soviet Union did not really have a navy during WWII but they still designed ships with the intent to build them. I am sure these DD (as well as many of their other ships) would have been WWII era if the Soviet Union had the resources to pursue them. Instead, they dusted those plans off after the war and produced WWII quality ships during the '50's where they were already outdated when built..

Also, I believe WG has indicated (NFI) that only gun ships would be in the game and that they would not include misslie boats in the tech trees.

• Cool 2

[ECOM]
Beta Testers
838 posts
11,053 battles

I don't think WG ever said WoWS was focused around WWII ships... I mean, there's a 19th century ship somewhere, isn't there?

if you are referencing the Mikasa, it was built from 1899-1902, and also entered service in 1902.  But it is a low tier ship, that is little more than a collectors item.  

[QC103]
Beta Testers
1,395 posts
16,457 battles

I don't think WG ever said WoWS was focused around WWII ships... I mean, there's a 19th century ship somewhere, isn't there?

World of Warships — Naval action MMO, dipping into the world of large-scale sea battles of the first half of the twentieth century. Epic battle for the title of best deployed on the greatest representatives of the era of multi-ton marine giants.

Achieve victory in battle players will help a variety of strategies and a variety of tactical decisions. Sudden ambushes, cunning flanking attacks, open confrontation "head-on" - you will find an ideal way to deliver a decisive blow at the enemy.

To implement tactical diversity World of Warships present several classes of warships including aircraft carriers, capable of having a remote air support; powerful battleships and heavy cruisers, one kind of fear prompts on the enemy; light and nimble destroyers, the most effective in group attacks.

World of Warships Official Home

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,902 battles

Instead, they dusted those plans off after the war and produced WWII quality ships during the '50's where they were already outdated when built..

Smeliy (project 30bis) - design work started late 1945, completed 1947

Neutrashimy (project 41) - design completed 1949

Project 56 - design about 1951-52

All post-war designs.

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
4,863 battles

World of Warships — Naval action MMO, dipping into the world of large-scale sea battles of the first half of the twentieth century. Epic battle for the title of best deployed on the greatest representatives of the era of multi-ton marine giants.

Achieve victory in battle players will help a variety of strategies and a variety of tactical decisions. Sudden ambushes, cunning flanking attacks, open confrontation "head-on" - you will find an ideal way to deliver a decisive blow at the enemy.

To implement tactical diversity World of Warships present several classes of warships including aircraft carriers, capable of having a remote air support; powerful battleships and heavy cruisers, one kind of fear prompts on the enemy; light and nimble destroyers, the most effective in group attacks.

World of Warships Official Home

"first half of the twentieth century" applies up to 1950 though, and while I do admit the destroyers listed break that rule, it's not by a silly amount.
  • Cool 2

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,991 posts
760 battles

"first half of the twentieth century" applies up to 1950 though, and while I do admit the destroyers listed break that rule, it's not by a silly amount.

Yet.

I mean, World of Tanks has tanks from the late 60s/early 70s now. 

So sooner or later we'll be drawing the line at specific technologies, not specific dates. At some point they're going to have to draw a line because of ASMs. 

Unless they take a page from the WarThunder playbook and introduce guided missiles...

Beta Testers
1,255 posts
17,509 battles

So more Russian cold war era ships yet we cant get anymore RN ships in game? Oh well...

• Cool 1

Members
385 posts
2,475 battles

Cold War? 1950s-era Soviet destroyers? Damn, I want the Forrestal-class carriers then. :trollface:

USS_Forrestal.jpg

Edited by icyplanetnhc
  • Cool 1

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,638 battles

So more Russian cold war era ships yet we cant get anymore RN ships in game? Oh well...

^^^

My thoughts exactly.

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,638 battles

More ships is good ships, IMO.

Of course.  I'm glad to get more stuff.

I'm just a bit tired of UK being given the short end of the stick, is all.

[MAUS]
Members
13,697 posts

Of course.  I'm glad to get more stuff.

I'm just a bit tired of UK being given the short end of the stick, is all.

But UK isn't being given the short end of the stick.  Wargaming is trying to deliver the Royal Navy vessels to the same quality as the other nations but they've hit some snags (either external problems or problems of their own design).  I would much rather that the Royal Navy be delivered properly instead of some half baked rendition that adds nothing to the game.  It would be easy to do the Royal Navy wrong, I think we can all agree.  Wargaming's delivery of the British Cruisers was rather disappointing.  They mustn't mishandle their destroyers and especially their battleships.
  • Cool 3

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts

I wish WG would take a back seat with their National Pride and give the gamer's the Nations that fought WWII at sea and stop with their propaganda fleet.

Well with Russia currently at war on two fronts Lesta is obligated to prioritise on Soviet warships to promote nationalism among the RU playerbase. Wouldn't want the KGB accusing Lesta of being unpatriotic. That would be bad for business.

But UK isn't being given the short end of the stick.  Wargaming is trying to deliver the Royal Navy vessels to the same quality as the other nations but they've hit some snags (either external problems or problems of their own design).  I would much rather that the Royal Navy be delivered properly instead of some half baked rendition that adds nothing to the game.  It would be easy to do the Royal Navy wrong, I think we can all agree.  Wargaming's delivery of the British Cruisers was rather disappointing.  They mustn't mishandle their destroyers and especially their battleships.

I hope one of those snags doesn't include ship plans, because we can find them online. http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/104978-plan-of-hms-queen-mary-rn-battlecruiser/

Edited by Wolcott

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,902 battles

But UK isn't being given the short end of the stick. 

It kind of is, the RN CL were... well as no ETA was out it would be unfair to say 'late' but it was rather late in 2016, and a long time after the sneak peek that they came out. When they did come, they came out 'disappointing' as you say - by which I mean too gimmicky, UP up to T5 and then possibly OP but one dimensional from T6 onwards with features which stretch my disbelief a little much (T9-T10 yo-yo heal).

The RN have at least as much historic precedent to be in game as the German lines but as of this month we'll be at 3 German lines to 1 British and as of early next year we'll be at 2.5 Russian lines to 1 British. Are they really 1/3 as deserving as the German ships?

On the basis that they may well be disappointing anyway, might as well have them sooner and disappointing than later and still disappointing. From Sub_Octavian's latest community interaction on Reddit RN BB's are in the 3D design phase. It's going to be a while...

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Yet.

I mean, World of Tanks has tanks from the late 60s/early 70s now. 

So sooner or later we'll be drawing the line at specific technologies, not specific dates. At some point they're going to have to draw a line because of ASMs. 

Unless they take a page from the WarThunder playbook and introduce guided missiles...

That's the main reason why I don't play WOT anymore.

This ridiculous MM where you have Tiger Is vs Pattons, M103s, WZs, etc.  These post-war/cold war designs killed the game.

Edited by CybrSlydr

[-V-]
Members
830 posts
5,254 battles

You are right that the Soviet Union did not really have a navy during WWII but they still designed ships with the intent to build them.

.....:D.....

If we are going to use ships from the cold war era, then that means the Battleships will become obsolete, at least under the US flag.

[NGA-A]
Members
2,654 posts
17,751 battles

Personally I think the idea of adding more game modes has merit. Currently, the only battle mode is what essentially amounts to a fleet engagement, and anyone with a brain will tell you that cruisers kept as far away from those as possible. What cruisers usually engaged in were small-scale engagements (like the numerous battles around Guadalcanal) or attacked a target with numbers on their side (the Scharnhorst's final battle). What also doesn't help is that some nations went for quality over quantity (namely Japan and Germany) to make up for a lack of resources. Thus in an even numbers match-up, Axis ships usually dominate their opponents. My final hope is that they will eventually find some way to effectively institute CVs. Considering how in-game CVs fight compared to their real-life counterparts, it's safe to say that Russia is apparently still bitter about never being able to build a proper fleet carrier.