Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Mexib

Useful but not rewarding

22 comments in this topic

Members
736 posts
11,428 battles

So I was being chased out of a unsupported cap in my Yugumo today. All of my team sailed to the other caps without me noticing. Anyway a Flechter and Baltimore decided that I should die and took it upon themselves to chase me. I was a bit put out first but realized that I had effectively taken these two out of the game. Everytime that they looked like they where losing interest in me I would reveal myself to keep the chase up. Our team won, but it wasn't very satisfing for me. Do any of you do something like that.    

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

I don't bait people much, as I primarily play battleships, but when I do (generally in my Bismarck, as it goes 32.6kt), it's pretty funny how I take so many enemy zombies out of the game.

[HINON]
Members
3,375 posts
32,575 battles

It sucks when you see your team doing it, easily 4 to 5 numbskulls will sail off into the distance chasing a single low hp while there are objectives to cap. Kill greed is a real thing.

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
4,863 battles

And this is why match results need to take priority over individual performance for calculating rewards.

So the exp bonus for winning doesn't count?
Edited by Legendary_Typo

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

So the exp bonus for winning doesn't count?

No, because:

1) Personal performance is still the dominant factor; I can be on the losing team and stil earn more than the top player on the winning team

and

2) It doesn't affect credits, which is the real prize.

[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
10,456 battles

I remember one match where half the enemy team decided to chase my one Tirpitz throughout much of the match, so me by myself was successfully keeping the idiots on their team distracted. The dressing and frustrating part of this though, on the other side of the map, my own team was moronically chasing one enemy mogami also being led away from the caps. The depressing and sad part of this, their team never killed me, my team never killed the Mogami. Lots and lots of stupid in that match with many people from both teams idiotically chasing one ship to the ends of the map.

[CONQR]
Beta Testers
895 posts
13,174 battles

u33RmJn.jpg

The yugumo went down the 1-2 line got briefly spotted and ended up getting half the enemy team to chase him. (even though everyone advised him not to lol...)

As a result, the rest of the team down the 5-6 line focus fired the enemy cv's division.

The yugumo got next to nothing for his efforts, but he probably won the game for us.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

what is worse, is that half the enemy team chase you for 10+min and 10 of your mate still loses to the other half on red team on opposite side.   seen that happen. 

[ZR]
Members
984 posts
12,323 battles

Love doing it in cruiers.  Its a dream come true for IJN cruisers.  Kite HE and torp spam.  If I can drag a convoy of enemies away from objectives you bet I will.  I like to win screw all the selfish players.  

Edited by MountainManxDan

[-_W_-]
Members
1,089 posts
2,418 battles

Love doing it in cruiers.  Its a dream come true for IJN cruisers.  Kite HE and torp spam.  If I can drag a convoy of enemies away from objectives you bet I will.  I like to win screw all the selfish players.  

IJN cruisers benefit from it a lot, I think, largely because of their torpedo angles. An IJN cruiser that's fleeing and wiggling in order to throw off the enemy's aim also has the perfect excuse to dump some 16 torpedoes in their faces without them realizing, and the torps will reach enemies that are a good 12km away at the time of launch because they're coming towards the torps. Can't get a lot of guns on target without taking a pretty bad angle, though.

Members
646 posts
3,678 battles

So I was being chased out of a unsupported cap in my Yugumo today. All of my team sailed to the other caps without me noticing. Anyway a Flechter and Baltimore decided that I should die and took it upon themselves to chase me. I was a bit put out first but realized that I had effectively taken these two out of the game. Everytime that they looked like they where losing interest in me I would reveal myself to keep the chase up. Our team won, but it wasn't very satisfing for me. Do any of you do something like that.    

Yes.  Only if I have already gotten my bonus for the day in that ship though.  Otherwise it's a waste of a win.

[HINON]
Members
3,375 posts
32,575 battles

LIKE JUST NOW! My team was ahead on points but not by much. It was myself and another dd, all we had to do was stay alive for another 10 seconds but the fool spotted a low hp North Carolina (which I had torped and set on fire) and he popped his little pew pews and the NC secondaries killed him and the match ended. If I could I would have cuffed him in the back of the head.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
19,139 posts
35,179 battles

Mostly that happens with bots in Co-op; love it when they brainlessly chase my DD and expose their broadsides to my allies.

I have seen it happen a few times in Randoms. Once flew my CVs planes off into a corner, the launched an attack and directed the planes back into the corner. Four enemy ship that were about to cap went chasing after the 'dumb CV that revealed himself,' giving me time to run even further away, and my allies time to come back to protect the cap.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

It happens pretty often to those of us who play to win as opposed to padding damage.

What I notice even more frequently is that a BB sniper that throws the game by failing to support the cruisers/DDs around cap areas winds up being the last survivor, does some last resort damage and lands at the top of the scoreboard. All the while you know you did everything realistically possible and went down swinging while there was still a faint chance of victory and you're somewhere below the sniping/flanking cowardly fool(s) that caused the defeat in the first place. That pisses me right off.

Members
150 posts
3,097 battles

I'll take a Support Role in my Sims and just use smoke for BBs that dare push and get hammered and send torps to force broadsides. i get 0 kills and next to no hits on targets but I'll save the bacon of multiple ships and even if we win it's "Ta Da! you get 530XP on your premium account first win bonus!"  yeah, umm no, winning still doesn't reward you well enough for support tactics. you only reap the rewards if you kill or cap. I do it for fun and to feel like a real team player but the results screen and stat penalties is disheartening.

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

Got to love when that happens. I had a game in Yamato once where the cap I headed toward had the entire enemy lemming train behind it. I turned my rear around and tried to withdraw from being vastly out-gunned, but realized that more than half the enemy fleet was chasing me. Even DDs that were sending torps at me that kept expiring right before they got to me (since I was heading away from them). I killed a couple of them and that just made the rest chase me harder while my team went up the other flank and took their base. 

One guy on the other team who wasn't in the train was flipping out in chat at his team. "NO NO THAT'S GOOD EVERYONE CHASE THAT YAMMY GOOD STRATEGY GUYS THAT'S HELPFUL!" :D

[JUGGZ]
Members
256 posts
2,930 battles

I was using my Shiney Horse a while back and was uptiered to a T9 domination game with a Shokaku on the enemy team.  He decided I really needed to be the one to die, so he proceeded to spend the entire fight trying to kill me (have had bad experiences with good Shokakus before).  I only netted like 45k damage out of that game since the cap I supported only had token resistance and I spent so much time just dodging torps while trying to get to the cap the fight was taking place at, but he never did kill me.  The rest of the team didn't have to worry about DB or TB and our CV pretty much got to do whatever he wanted, so I guess I took one for the team and we got a good victory out of it.

[TF-64]
Members
594 posts
23,953 battles

Hell yeah I do this. I've done it in a Colorado once even. Had 1/2 (roughly) of the opfor chase my CO around which is funny considering how slow the dang thing is. Kept twisting her like it was a CL. By the time they sank me, my team had taken and controlled 2 of 3 caps and sank the rest of their team. Only got off 2 salvos the whole match though. Crap xp but a massive one sided victory. But I've been doing that since the 1st ARP mission when killing DDs was one of the missions.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

This is exactly why Russian DDs have the win rates they do.  A ludicrous amount of she;;s fired at a DD that is too fast for you to catch that kites you off into a corner so even if you kill it there are 2-3 enemy ships taken out of the game for the next 5 minutes.

The damage is too high to ignore, and if you don't ignore them you'll end up taking yourself out of the game.  Best solution is for for one CA/CL with a good muzzle velocity to encourage the DD to keep moving away from the fight with the rest of the group heads to the cap.  

Sign in to follow this