You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Moonllama

Ping, lag, and aiming...

14 comments in this topic

Members
53 posts
5,297 battles

So, I've searched the forums, but haven't really found the information I'm looking for.  Here's the situation. 

It seems, (mostly with the last couple patches) I'm having network problems.  I've noticed I'll just have random spikes in my ping.  It'll go from let's say 30-60ms which would be fairly average for me, to 300, 400, 500+ out of the blue. Also, I'm kind of mystified when I'll be pinging at 30ms, and the lag indicator lights - whats up with that?  I've also seen -35ms ping, which I'm guessing it's pretty much a disconnect. 

To rule out some of the obvious culprits, I have good high speed Internet - I don't have this problem anywhere else.  In fact, I know the Internet is good, because around Thanksgiving someone managed to drive into the Comcast pole for my building and take the whole thing out.   It's been thoroughly checked and fixed since then.

I have noticed the result of this is that if my connection keeps flaking, I can't hit the broadside of a barn.  Worst case scenario (only happened once or twice) I lag out, hit an island, and get deleted.  Doesn't make it fun for me or anyone on my team.

I guess I'm asking if anyone has experienced this, or something like it, and how did you (hopefully) fix it?

Members
779 posts
8,226 battles

So, I've searched the forums, but haven't really found the information I'm looking for.  Here's the situation. 

It seems, (mostly with the last couple patches) I'm having network problems.  I've noticed I'll just have random spikes in my ping.  It'll go from let's say 30-60ms which would be fairly average for me, to 300, 400, 500+ out of the blue. Also, I'm kind of mystified when I'll be pinging at 30ms, and the lag indicator lights - whats up with that?  I've also seen -35ms ping, which I'm guessing it's pretty much a disconnect. 

To rule out some of the obvious culprits, I have good high speed Internet - I don't have this problem anywhere else.  In fact, I know the Internet is good, because around Thanksgiving someone managed to drive into the Comcast pole for my building and take the whole thing out.   It's been thoroughly checked and fixed since then.

I have noticed the result of this is that if my connection keeps flaking, I can't hit the broadside of a barn.  Worst case scenario (only happened once or twice) I lag out, hit an island, and get deleted.  Doesn't make it fun for me or anyone on my team.

I guess I'm asking if anyone has experienced this, or something like it, and how did you (hopefully) fix it?

Same recently proper nasty in battle.

[KNTAI]
Members
18 posts
7,823 battles

I have experienced this multiple times. My default is 70ms ping. However when starting a new battle sometimes the starting ping will be 800, and then peak and remain at 1500. Packet loss also occurs in addition to high ping. Essentially this makes all lines unplayable, as CV commands take 5s to register, and all main battery usage also takes 5s+ to register.

However I have found a solution. If at the start of a match (during the watiing time) you begin with the tell tales sign of high ping (IE 400ping), alt+f4 the game and relaunch. Do not exit the battle to port, but quit out of the program. Reconnecting should then bring you back into the game.  Also mine seems to have this issue about every 2 games, so around 40 mins. Relaunching every 2 games might also reduce this. However I'm not exactly sure if the situations are the same, as mine only starts after beginning a new game, never really during the middle of one. 

I believe the issue has to do with a bad network hop, where connection to the WG servers are routed through a terrible service provider, creating huge ping and packet loss. The connection hops through multiple routers or something (Not really sure about the specific technical details, check DNS reports regarding WoWS servers and ISPs) before reaching WG servers. Because the last node in the route is badly configured, it causes a huge spike. Relaunching the game forces a new connection which generally fixes it. 

Try relaunching and see if that reduces the issue. If not, look for other advice.

Edited by Lemonz
  • Cool 2

Members
3,014 posts

My default pings are 31ms.

Until this weekend-

pings went as low at -27ms then skyrocket to over 600ms

Needless to say, this happened often enough to make me quit the game.  When these lags happen, I can't fire, steer, repair or heal up...can't smoke, can't stop or start the engines....then 15 seconds later I'm lurch launched into a torp spread or my rounds fall back 3Km behind my intended poa.  So any strategy I have at the start of the session is rendered utterly useless...'

Now I have to battle the enemy while contemplating lags into my attack formulas...Get Serious!

PostScript: Rebooting router and system yields nothing.  I can watch hulu episodes while downloading two feature length HD films without a hitch.  My d/l speeds run +120Mbps...u/l speeds run 4Mbps

Edited by OnTheHouse

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
2,395 posts
24,521 battles

If you have a SATA hard drive, De-fragment your hard drive.If you have a SSD you have no need to de-fragment the drive.

Note: Again do not de-frag your hard drive if you have a SSD drive.

Next you have to verify and exclude WoWS executable folder from your anti-virus scans and your firewall settings. Next try expanding the stream cache parameter as explained here. And lastly check on your network for bottlenecks if port forwarding is an option here.

Ignore End Task launcher/updater/scheduler software processs. Setting Process Priority, and Setting CPU Processor Affinity since this was a previous Win7 issue. 

All these items add up in slowing your game play down. Give these a try to see if this helps. 

Edited by Tpaktop2_1

[RICCO]
Members
1,165 posts
15,319 battles

I am from Finland and lines are long about 100 ms but that does not affect shooting much.

What causes lag:

-server overload when people is uploading new version of wows

-your WINDOWS try to sneak-update your pc and disrupts your playing 

-other programs try to sneak-update themselves

-too many people on line that makes crowd to server

-your internet provider messed up

What to do

-try to turn your boat towards peacefull areas and restart whole pc. Do not exit to port but crash program via taskmanager or similar and restart game or restart whole computer. Done this multiuple times succesfull.

-wait and play some other time

-curse windows update

-blame windows update

-xxxxxx windows update

-take a coffe while windows is installing itself and wait

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,549 posts
20,964 battles

You're not alone,

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/104885-lag-spikes-since-0514/

Also the ping reported in game is B.S. WG is playing games with that number as it is easily at least double what is reported in game as the server is on the west coast (same server as WOT west), so if you're on the east coast or further away there is no way you['re are getting a ping of 35 or so. I am in the east (Toronto area) and in game shows between 30-40 normally, but you can see what it actually is from the Pingplotter tracer I posted in that thread.

[TWE]
Members
206 posts
14,649 battles

I have noticed the increasing lag problem as well

I have moved down to T3 Katori where everything is so slow that I figure I won't notice!

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,843 posts
7,637 battles

Before you blame WG, when it occurs to you, open task manager and check what is accessing your net. Windows LOVES doing things in the background while you play.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Good chance that if WG is still using Telia.net for their ISP, that's the problem.

If your having troubles, trace the route. Don't be surprised if, even though you're 500 miles from the server as the crow flies, you get routed the wrong direction and pass through Singapore before coming back to the server.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

I know that it has been an issue but it fluctuates. It has nothing to do with my service provider nor my spud computer, fwiw. 

Members
564 posts
670 battles

I know that it has been an issue but it fluctuates. It has nothing to do with my service provider nor my spud computer, fwiw. 

i agree, yet still people will will blame the players and defend the craptastic servers. They have been doing it for two years now.