You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
stockmankrause

The english dream........

13 comments in this topic

Members
779 posts
8,226 battles

Ok last night as you know i bought the warspite its amazing 10/10 really fun ship :honoring:.

Also last night i ground the english/british cruisers from the black swan to fiji in 12 seconds :amazed:.

I do not require no low tier cruisers i need tier 5 and above to test them so i did.

I fully modded the fiji to try them out as my first ship into combat built for AA duties which as it turns out was a mistake.

So aa did not work at all as the fiji is 1 squidgy in the extreme 2 doesnt really fight planes and 3 its a brick :(.

So the fiji i rebuilt her for basically anti dd duties and binned the aa duties.

Verdict so far on the fiji........Its got amazing ap and penetration but the turrets are warspite slow even modified with all the skills the turrets are wayyyyyyyyyyyy slow.

Its a brick and cant dodge torps or use any kind of rudder or speed boost at all deffo brick like handling specially on cap.

Its smoke compared to usa smoke is pathetic in the extreme forget that.

Its torps are ok they work.

It has no armour its so squidgy all the hits hurt and its a prime target at cap.

So the fiji i will say its way behind a marblehead cruiser by a long way in fact the marblehead is alot more fun than the fiji.

The english/british cruisers i will probably sell them asap as the marblehead does a better job all round.

Got to admit the fiji's turret traverse is shockingly bad a massive issue while capping..........

The cruisers so far get from me a solid 2/10 for fun in battle and if its a choice between fiji and marblehead i will take my marble thanks everytime.

Edited by stockmankrause

Members
2,136 posts
5,764 battles

Actually, the Warspite has one of the smallest turning circles of all the ships. You just didn't anticipate the torps and turn to avoid them (I was watching you get hit from my ARP Haguro). If you anticipate the torps, you should be able to avoid them.

Capture140.JPG

Edited by Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper
  • Cool 1

Members
779 posts
8,226 battles

Actually, the Warspite has one of the smallest turning circles of all the ships. You just didn't anticipate the torps and turn to avoid them (I was watching you get hit from my ARP Haguro). If you anticipate the torps, you should be able to avoid them.

I have not aquired that captain skill as yet im working on it thanks :honoring:.

Members
2,136 posts
5,764 battles

I have not aquired that captain skill as yet im working on it thanks :honoring:.

I thought I spotted the torps already before they got into your spotting range. Plus, it is better to turn towards the torps than away from them.
  • Cool 1

Members
779 posts
8,226 battles

I thought I spotted the torps already before they got into your spotting range. Plus, it is better to turn towards the torps than away from them.

It is for sure im just new to this ship and its handling but its deffo fun thanks :honoring:.

My issue with the warspite is my team expects me to take and hold the caps im happy with that but its taking away my bb fights and kills to do this duty.

[-Z-]
Alpha Tester
88 posts
1,667 battles

Starting with the fiji the british line 100% needs the steering modification upgrade, its not much of an issue before that but yes it will handle like a bloated whale without it from this point on.

The turret traverse on the line is also rather crapfrom tiers 6-8 (the edin is basically just a slightly betterr fiji to my understanding) but starting with the neptune it gets its turret traverse speed back and then you get to the minotaur and you can basically be firing on either side all the time its so fast.

The AA on the fiji is also mediocre, on the neptune and minotaur you will find it a lot better but with how few carriers are currently in the meta I'm not sure it will be worth speccing into that over concealment or some other playstyle atm.

Members
779 posts
8,226 battles

Starting with the fiji the british line 100% needs the steering modification upgrade, its not much of an issue before that but yes it will handle like a bloated whale without it from this point on.

The turret traverse on the line is also rather crapfrom tiers 6-8 (the edin is basically just a slightly betterr fiji to my understanding) but starting with the neptune it gets its turret traverse speed back and then you get to the minotaur and you can basically be firing on either side all the time its so fast.

The AA on the fiji is also mediocre, on the neptune and minotaur you will find it a lot better but with how few carriers are currently in the meta I'm not sure it will be worth speccing into that over concealment or some other playstyle atm.

The fiji is fully modded but its not a marblehead sooooooooooooooo im thinking of selling them all the entire line of cruisers lol and buying the molotov for fun instead????????

Verdict?

Oh and thanks for the help buddy :honoring:.

[ANZ4C]
Alpha Tester
325 posts
9,682 battles

If you are having trouble playing the RN CLs properly, spend a month playing the USN DDs (post T7). I played the Benson exclusively through season 5 of ranked (~70 matches) and found the Leander, Fiji, Belfast, and Edinburgh to play in a similar manner. The only major differences were 1) you now have a citadel, 2) you have longer ranged guns, 3) you don't push into caps unless supported or all BBs are somewhere else.

Basically do not shoot unless you have a reason to, the RN CLs are amazing ambush predators.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,072 posts
1,514 battles

Modding the Fiji for AAA is a huge mistake, T9 and T10 aside they have crap AAA. They're gunboats, spec for it. That said it takes a lot of work to play any crusier well, and the british are this magnified many times over. But that AP when it works can do SCARY damage fast to anything, using it right, thats the tricky part. IMO you should have started with leander. Allmostnthere myself and her layout is far more forgiving of mistakes than any other british cruiser.

• Cool 1

Members
779 posts
8,226 battles

Modding the Fiji for AAA is a huge mistake, T9 and T10 aside they have crap AAA. They're gunboats, spec for it. That said it takes a lot of work to play any crusier well, and the british are this magnified many times over. But that AP when it works can do SCARY damage fast to anything, using it right, thats the tricky part. IMO you should have started with leander. Allmostnthere myself and her layout is far more forgiving of mistakes than any other british cruiser.

I will take a gander thanks :honoring:.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,072 posts
1,514 battles

Your welcome, just bear in mind learning to aim the AP is tough, you've got to study the armour models of ships and get a feel for where it can pen them. You'll hear a lot of complaints about how angled targets negate it. Angled targets don;t negate it, but you've got to have a clue where and how to aim it, (generally vs angled targets, try and hit their deck). if your aim is spotty, expect a rough time. Also learn, learn, learn how to minimise your incoming fire by limiting what cna shoot at you via absuing your stealth and islands. Sometimes that just isn't possibble ofc. But don't go making your opponents lives easy by putting yourself where a quarter the enemy team can shoot at you. And learn how to dodge incoming if it's longer rnaged. It's as much an art as a skill, there's littile ghard or fast rules to it beyond not turning too much but allways turning enough, how much that is varies with so many factors it's hard to give any specific advice.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,582 battles

The point is WoWS has a very limited physics engine.

It does not model a lot of real-world combat considerations.

For ships buoyancy was an issue. As was maintaining it. For this, the RN used a lot of light armour to prevent splinter damage (from near-miss shells or bombs) causing widespread flooding. In WoWS, this is penalised by its fuse-initiation mechanic.

Ships also needed stability. This is because the sea has waves. Some of them big. Being able to fight in bigger waves than your enemy meant something. But not in WoWS. So higher freeboard and balanced metacentric height has no advantage. In-game it just means a bigger target to shoot at.

I'm not looking forward to the RN destroyer line. They were largely optimised to fight submarines... After all, breaking a submarine blockade was a matter of life or death for that island nation. Even their gunboat destroyers carried arrays of depth-charges - at the cost of AA armament and sometimes main armament due to weight (balance + buoyancy) considerations that this game does not take into account.

So it seems that much of WoWS game engine mechanics activate the negatives of much RN design doctrine. But not the positives.