You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kriskringle73

Player Looking to Improve, need Some Advice

14 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
372 battles

So I'm a fairly low skill level German BB player (and I'm not looking to change) and I'm having trouble improving my scores. I understand that 100k+ games are few and far between for most players, but I'm having difficulty getting through the 50k wall on a regular basis. Is there any general advice that you guys can give me? Or better yet, is there anyone who'd he willing to dive up with me from time to time and mentor me through any bad habits I've got?

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,176 posts
7,789 battles

Working on your accuracy is something that is immediately evident from looking at your stats through Warships.Today (an excellent resource to track your performance over time). I did my "lrn2aim" phase through watching streams on Twitch and gameplay footage on YouTube to get a sense of how far people are leading the targets. The addition of the dynamic crosshair (available in the Options > Controls menu) has helped me tremendously on consistency since it will adjust in accordance to your zoom level. If you have not turned on the alternate battle interface in your Options > Controls menu, do it. It will constantly feed you the shell travel time as you aim, which is very important when determining lead. The dynamic crosshair's numeric markings across the horizontal bar is spaced the way it is for a reason. If the target is moving at 30 knots, the number will align near-perfectly with the time it takes for your shell to reach the target. Of course, not all ships travel at 30 knots, so there is some experimentation. The dynamic crosshair also loses its consistency when you close the distance, where the time it takes for shells to hit become more irrelevant compared to where you are aiming at. Remember to make liberal usage of AP shells when you have a reasonable chance of dealing penetration damage: German HE shells are particularly poor in damage output compared to their AP. AP damage will still hurt even destroyers, even if it is not the most efficient means.

Training yourself to use the R key at the right time is important to maximize your ability to prevent fire and flood damage. It is an amateur mistake to immediately put out the first fire inflicted, since the cooldown duration will give you a window of vulnerability to further fires and floods inflicted upon you. Use the R key when you are reasonably safe from enemy fire. Do remember that the heal ability will recover ALL of the damage caused by damage over time effects. The heal usually will work faster than a single fire will, so make sure to time your heal ability so that you will not waste it.

Learning to angle your ship against incoming enemy fire will greatly improve your survivability by encouraging bounces from enemy AP. A 45 degree angle is enough against cruisers, but you may want to angle a bit more than that against battleships. Overmatch mechanics are also important to note, since some battleships lack armor on the bow and aft of the ship to prevent an automatic penetration against certain gun calibers.

Paying attention to your mini-map will also be important to your success. Where are my allies? Will they provide enough support for me? Where are the enemies? Am I going to get attacked from multiple angles? Are there destroyers behind the islands? Is the enemy carrier sending planes my way? Am I fast enough to support my distant allies? Use the time in between your shots to reacquaint yourself with where everyone is and whether you need or need to provide help. Because of how slow ships are, you want to begin reacting to circumstances before it is too late. In short, understanding what is going on in the match will help you be in the right place in the right time more frequently. Of course, not everything goes as expected and that is just how the games go.

Tips specifically for German battleships:

They don't have great gun accuracy, so you need to take the extra step in measuring the risks and rewards of closing distance for more hits on target. It should be fairly obvious what the risks will be if you have enough information (look at your mini-map!). Sniping in the back is ill-advised because of their poor accuracy.

German battleships may be less vulnerable to citadel damage, but don't let that fool you into a false sense of security. Penetration damage still hurts and you will rather avoid taking all the hits whenever you can. The tough armor around the citadel is there to help you get out of sticky situations where you may be forced to show your sides to the enemy in order to retreat or respond to the imminent torpedo attack.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,053 posts
23,919 battles

Hi Kris. 

My first suggestion would be to leave your Scharnhorst in port until you get a tech-tree Tier VII ship or three, and have played them enough to become familiar with higher tier game play. The meta at that tier can be very different than what you are seeing in your Konig, and you are struggling in your Konig.

My win% in the Konig is not great, but I am doing roughly 20k damage more than you are per game and am getting over three times the kills per death in that boat. Across the board my stats are stronger, so I feel comfortable offering my thoughts and sincerely hope they help.

A couple things I consider when playing the Konig:

1. Your secondaries can be deadly, but you have to get close for them to do their work. I set up the ship's captain to maximize this and encourage anyone in the Konig to do so.

2. I try to avoid "getting close" in the center of the map when possible. Closing with the enemy in the map center exposes you to fire from two sides much more often, as well as providing more angles for torpedoes to find your hull.

3. Make use of terrain for cover, but remember that the Konig is not a long-range sniper. It is a brass-knuckle-wearing brawler that wants to punch things in the face.

4. Keep moving. Sitting still will give the enemy team too much opportunity to find the perfect shot on you. And once you are stopped, it takes too long to get going to save you in most cases. 

5. If it is only a matter of ten seconds or so, be willing to hold your fire until you have a "good" shot rather than taking a "bad" shot. (Ex. 1 Waiting until that cruiser turns to show her side rather than shooting at the bow. Ex. 2. Waiting for the cruiser to come around the island rather than shooting at the BB that is already coming around the island.)

6. Try to keep in mind the direction your guns are facing. Don't allow your guns to rotate away from the side the enemy is on. (I see it happen all the time for various reasons.)

7. If all guns are loaded, I generally double-tap to fire everything at once rather than holding the fire button down and firing one turret at a time. 

8. If you are having trouble landing your shots on the enemy, consider playing Coop games until you have a bit more consistency with your aiming. But keep in mind that live players will be much smarter than Coop AI. It will still take some adjustment when you switch back.

9. Be constantly aware of where enemy planes are located. You do not want to be focused on by a CV strike load-out when your ship is alone.

10. Avoid traveling in a straight line at a consistent speed. Changing speed and direction regularly will help you avoid most torpedoes. (So will trying to maneuver to ensure that you have friendlies ahead of you.)

Also, be patient with this game. It is a game of deceptive complexity and challenge. I try to look at whether I am improving over time, rather than focusing on my Win/Loss ratio. Your question here seems to imply that you are doing that, but I wanted to mention it.

Best of luck to you, sir!

Respects,

Am 

• Cool 2

[RRN]
Members
640 posts
3,950 battles

Try to steam close to the 3,4,7,8 lines. 

Stay close with friendlies. 

Do not be too far back or too far forward. 

Use AP shells. 

Aim. See iChase videos on youtube on aiming. 

1. Learn armour profiles in general, (belt, deck, upper deck, bow/stern, supeestructures, bulkheads, turrets, and barbettes). 

2. Learn overmatch and overpen mechanics. 

Angle to survive AP better, know when to bow on, and when to angle slightly less. 

Use Damage Control and Damage Depair wisely. 

1. One fire; let it burn unless it will sink you. Two fire put it out when the threat of more fires or floodings are most likely gone. Three to four fires put them out unless there is a chance of flooding. Use Damage Control mainly foe floods. 

Use Damage repair during breaks in combat, and to keep yourself alive. 

Select targets for secondaries and AA guns. 

Turn bow on to incoming torpedo bombers and keep it that way. 

Turn side on to dive bombers and keep it that way. 

Play one or two games in coop before getting into pvp matches.(every day or so) 

Also learn the ranges on torpedoes and turn often. Both when there are torps coming your way and sometimes randomly. 

Edit: added some things. 

Edited by meat2

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

I have grinded through König so I can try to tell you what I did:

- get a feeling for when you have to push. Push when you feel the enemy is weaker. Don't rush in blindly

- armor is good, angling is better

- know your shells types. When I was at 150 games I went HE only. Learn the shell you need to use. AP against all broadside, HE against Destroyers and heavily angled targets

If you want some help, I would div up with you. What would also be possible would be a Trainign room where I can look specifically what you do and how you should improve. I am nowhere near perfect but I think I might be able to spot some mistakes.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
20,315 posts
13,642 battles

Excellent suggestions all and since I have similar problems to kriskringle73, I enjoyed the read. Do you suggest trying to remember everything at once, or focusing on a few things at a time in Co-op (PvE)? I know aiming is my worst skill and I fluctuate between being too aggressive and too cautious. I lean more aggressive in PvE as the stakes aren't as high and a single player or two can carry the day if I yolo and die. :izmena: People are soo serious in PvP that I tend to be more cautious there, but sometimes sink myself there as well. :unsure: 

Do you suggest focusing on one type (BB, DD, or CA/CL) or even one nation and type? How long should you stick with one, before branching out? If I feel like rage quitting, I'll try switching nations and/or type to give myself something different. (The 2 month break I took wasn't good) Going to PvE to escape the clubbers in PvP also works well against rage quitting, but the bots can swarm you as well if you aren't paying attention. I also switch up when something comes along like the ARP ships, the River Plate event or the like. Getting 1M silver is big for me as a newish player. :coin:

I play most of my battles in Co-op as my profile pic can attest to my skills. :child: Do y'all find that Random Battles is more... dangerous say, on weekends? I haven't kept stats, but I seem to do better in PvP on weekdays than weekends. I try to warm up for PvP by playing a few battles in PvE in the ship I'm going to use if I can, before hopping in with the clubbers. :izmena:

I splurged on Premiums recently and it worked out for the ARP missions. I played more PvP (Arizona & Warspite) than ever before to work on the Campaigns and ARP. I'm trying to get in 2k xp a day in T6+ to finish off the ARP missions. So unless WG makes a Campaign that is mostly PvE, us seals have to swim with the clubbers to complete them. :hiding:

Any help would be appreciated and I've saved a lot of replays. Are the replays backwards compatible? If WG updates WOWS, do I lose the ability to rewatch a replay?

Thank you again to everyone.

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

Excellent suggestions all and since I have similar problems to kriskringle73, I enjoyed the read. Do you suggest trying to remember everything at once, or focusing on a few things at a time in Co-op (PvE)? I know aiming is my worst skill and I fluctuate between being too aggressive and too cautious. I lean more aggressive in PvE as the stakes aren't as high and a single player or two can carry the day if I yolo and die. :izmena: People are soo serious in PvP that I tend to be more cautious there, but sometimes sink myself there as well. :unsure:

Try to remeber one or two things at once and make sure you stick to them. If you feel like you improved a lot in these two aspects, go for the next two. Don't try to rush it and don't be ashamed to set up a Training room with only one bot to improve your aiming. Your Survival Rate seems fine with ~45% in PvP compared to my 38%. Don't be afraid of sinking.

Do you suggest focusing on one type (BB, DD, or CA/CL) or even one nation and type? How long should you stick with one, before branching out? If I feel like rage quitting, I'll try switching nations and/or type to give myself something different. (The 2 month break I took wasn't good) Going to PvE to escape the clubbers in PvP also works well against rage quitting, but the bots can swarm you as well if you aren't paying attention. I also switch up when something comes along like the ARP ships, the River Plate event or the like. Getting 1M silver is big for me as a newish player. :coin:

I started with only one nation (IJN) for at least two months before starting the USN Tree. My suggestion would be that you try all classes at least once and look if you can fit with that playstyle but if you want to learn the mechanics I recommend IJN Cruisers as they fitted for me. You get the 20.3 cm guns early and can learn how Cruisers generally play. After 30 battles in the Furutaka I started to learn the game mechanics as this ship does not allow HE spam like the Omaha does. Long reloads and Torpedoes add some extra learning.

I play most of my battles in Co-op as my profile pic can attest to my skills. :child: Do y'all find that Random Battles is more... dangerous say, on weekends? I haven't kept stats, but I seem to do better in PvP on weekdays than weekends. I try to warm up for PvP by playing a few battles in PvE in the ship I'm going to use if I can, before hopping in with the clubbers. :izmena:

I play almost only Random Battles and I find that there is no much difference between weekdays and weekends. Maybe has something to do with my position in germany and that I play at unusual times.

Any help would be appreciated and I've saved a lot of replays. Are the replays backwards compatible? If WG updates WOWS, do I lose the ability to rewatch a replay?

After each update these replays are useless. Maybe there is another way to watch them, but no official way.

[PVE]
Members
20,315 posts
13,642 battles

Try to remeber one or two things at once and make sure you stick to them. If you feel like you improved a lot in these two aspects, go for the next two. Don't try to rush it and don't be ashamed to set up a Training room with only one bot to improve your aiming. Your Survival Rate seems fine with ~45% in PvP compared to my 38%. Don't be afraid of sinking.

I started with only one nation (IJN) for at least two months before starting the USN Tree. My suggestion would be that you try all classes at least once and look if you can fit with that playstyle but if you want to learn the mechanics I recommend IJN Cruisers as they fitted for me. You get the 20.3 cm guns early and can learn how Cruisers generally play. After 30 battles in the Furutaka I started to learn the game mechanics as this ship does not allow HE spam like the Omaha does. Long reloads and Torpedoes add some extra learning.

I play almost only Random Battles and I find that there is no much difference between weekdays and weekends. Maybe has something to do with my position in germany and that I play at unusual times.

After each update these replays are useless. Maybe there is another way to watch them, but no official way.

I ran the US line to the USS Cleveland & USS Clemson and then branched out into BBs. I tried out other nations in Public Test, before deciding to run the German line to the SMS Konigsberg and then the German BB line when it came out. I just got the SMS Konig when the River Plate event was going on. I also got to the HMS Danae during River Plate. I did the Russians to VMF Bogatyr during their silver sale. The times I tried the IJN during Public Test weren't promising, but it was early then. I'm waiting for another silver sale on the IJN.

I played the US pretty much exclusively during Jul and Aug and took Oct and Nov off as a lot of the missions needed a T6 or above and I only had the Cleveland and I still haven't quite got the hang of it. Once I got some premiums, earning credits became fun again and I have some variety to play with. The long, for me, grinds from T5 and on is hard when you don't earn much silver in PvE. I only really hit PVP hard for the ARP ships and the Campaigns.

A replay client that is backwards compatible would be nice WG. ;)

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

I ran the US line to the USS Cleveland & USS Clemson and then branched out into BBs. I tried out other nations in Public Test, before deciding to run the German line to the SMS Konigsberg and then the German BB line when it came out. I just got the SMS Konig when the River Plate event was going on. I also got to the HMS Danae during River Plate. I did the Russians to VMF Bogatyr during their silver sale. The times I tried the IJN during Public Test weren't promising, but it was early then. I'm waiting for another silver sale on the IJN.

I personally find the IJN CA line to be very versatile. They can deal with Destroyers, Cruisers and with Battleships under the right circumstances. They have speed and guns while maintaining a strong (in Cruiser terms) armor and a fearsome Torpedo battery that kills everything when ambushed. Only the AA lacks and the AP seems somewhat lacking.

I played the US pretty much exclusively during Jul and Aug and took Oct and Nov off as a lot of the missions needed a T6 or above and I only had the Cleveland and I still haven't quite got the hang of it. Once I got some premiums, earning credits became fun again and I have some variety to play with. The long, for me, grinds from T5 and on is hard when you don't earn much silver in PvE. I only really hit PVP hard for the ARP ships and the Campaigns.

Cleveland is not the ship she was once known for. She got nerfed into the ground in most aspects. Her round spamming is getting matched by Nürnberg, her range is poor and her shell arcs are like rainbows. On top of that no Torpedoes at all. Only thing that looks impressive is her AA. I sold her immediately and went for the Pensacola, a much better ship.

[PVE]
Members
20,315 posts
13,642 battles

I personally find the IJN CA line to be very versatile. They can deal with Destroyers, Cruisers and with Battleships under the right circumstances. They have speed and guns while maintaining a strong (in Cruiser terms) armor and a fearsome Torpedo battery that kills everything when ambushed. Only the AA lacks and the AP seems somewhat lacking.

Cleveland is not the ship she was once known for. She got nerfed into the ground in most aspects. Her round spamming is getting matched by Nürnberg, her range is poor and her shell arcs are like rainbows. On top of that no Torpedoes at all. Only thing that looks impressive is her AA. I sold her immediately and went for the Pensacola, a much better ship.

I've heard a lot of good things for the IJN, but when I was just starting and tried them, it didn't work out. It may work out better now. I picked up soo many premiums in a bundle, that my 4.2M silver isn't enough to outfit the ones I want to try, so I haven't spent time on the IJN yet. I have only 9400 xp to finish off the ARP ships. I have the ARP Kongo's and ARP Myoko's already, but don't have the silver to outfit them. I figured they will be test ships for captain skills as I can set each one up differently and try out the skills and different builds. I understand that the lower tier IJN CVs are better than the US CVs. I have only played a CV once in Public test, so I have no experience in them. Since Niko posted the easier training room file, I'll have to play with the Langley I picked up on silver sale where my mistakes don't hurt anyone. ;) 

It seems the T6 ships seem to be my skill cap for now, although I took the SMS Sharnhorst out in PvE and got 110k damage in the first run (which is a lot for PvE I understand), so I may like that BC a lot. The German DD's come out tomorrow and they sound cool as well, but my DD skill cap seems to be T4. So many things to try and not enough time to try them. :) With the problems I have in the USS Cleveland, I haven't outfitted the USS Atlanta yet. Hugging Waifu's and being patient while stopped, is something I'm working on. I usually just drive around at full or flank speed wiggling all over the place, although I'm more sedate in BB's. I tend to hang back, especially in uptear ;) battles, so the IJN BB's are supposed to be good for that. I like to fight the AZ and HMS Warspite at 10-15k and only close when there is one ship to worry about. Tunnel vision is still a problem for me at times.

I do like torps, which the IJN has in spades, but is seems hard to fire the longer range ones without endangering teammates. I went all the way through the USS Clemson, the USS Omaha and finally turned pink for the first time in the VMF Murmansk. I got greedy going after the last BB and lost sight of our DD going around the island. :( I was so careful for the longest time, but got reminded again to not lose track of teammates.

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

I've heard a lot of good things for the IJN, but when I was just starting and tried them, it didn't work out. It may work out better now. I picked up soo many premiums in a bundle, that my 4.2M silver isn't enough to outfit the ones I want to try, so I haven't spent time on the IJN yet. I have only 9400 xp to finish off the ARP ships. I have the ARP Kongo's and ARP Myoko's already, but don't have the silver to outfit them. I figured they will be test ships for captain skills as I can set each one up differently and try out the skills and different builds. I understand that the lower tier IJN CVs are better than the US CVs. I have only played a CV once in Public test, so I have no experience in them. Since Niko posted the easier training room file, I'll have to play with the Langley I picked up on silver sale where my mistakes don't hurt anyone. ;)

If USN ships suit you the best, don't be afraid of sticking to them. But I can only recommend that you have played each nation up to the Tier where they start to behave like they will later. For example IJN CAs at T5, USN CAs at T7, RU CLs at T6, RN CLs at T6/7 and KM CLs at T5. If you want some help at CVs, I would help you anytime but I am only at T6 so far. I have more experience on the receiving end when it comes to CVs.

It seems the T6 ships seem to be my skill cap for now, although I took the SMS Sharnhorst out in PvE and got 110k damage in the first run (which is a lot for PvE I understand), so I may like that BC a lot. The German DD's come out tomorrow and they sound cool as well, but my DD skill cap seems to be T4. So many things to try and not enough time to try them. :) With the problems I have in the USS Cleveland, I haven't outfitted the USS Atlanta yet. Hugging Waifu's and being patient while stopped, is something I'm working on. I usually just drive around at full or flank speed wiggling all over the place, although I'm more sedate in BB's. I tend to hang back, especially in uptear ;) battles, so the IJN BB's are supposed to be good for that. I like to fight the AZ and HMS Warspite at 10-15k and only close when there is one ship to worry about. Tunnel vision is still a problem for me at times.

Sorry for correcting you but Scharnhorst is nowhere near a Battlecruiser. A BC combines two aspects each of a Battleship and a Cruiser. Size and armament of a Battleship and Speed and armor of a Cruiser. Scharnhorst has the size of a Battleship and the speed of a Cruiser, but then has the armor of a Battleship and an armament that fits neither a Battleship nor a Cruiser. Scharnhorst is a fast Battleship.

Destroyers are hard to master, especially the IJN Torpedo line. They allow no mistakes and are the first ships to die in pretty much every match.

What is hugging a Waifu? A Waifu is fictional (sorry for hurting you) and are not even implemented in the game. Not hating Waifu's, I have one or two myself but what do they have to do with WoWs?

I do like torps, which the IJN has in spades, but is seems hard to fire the longer range ones without endangering teammates. I went all the way through the USS Clemson, the USS Omaha and finally turned pink for the first time in the VMF Murmansk. I got greedy going after the last BB and lost sight of our DD going around the island. :( I was so careful for the longest time, but got reminded again to not lose track of teammates.

This is an issue that you will get rid of over time. Train yourself to look at the minimap before firing. If a green ship is close to the line of fire and inside the circle (or is about to drive into it), hold your fire.

[PVE]
Members
20,315 posts
13,642 battles

If USN ships suit you the best, don't be afraid of sticking to them. But I can only recommend that you have played each nation up to the Tier where they start to behave like they will later. For example IJN CAs at T5, USN CAs at T7, RU CLs at T6, RN CLs at T6/7 and KM CLs at T5. If you want some help at CVs, I would help you anytime but I am only at T6 so far. I have more experience on the receiving end when it comes to CVs.

Sorry for correcting you but Scharnhorst is nowhere near a Battlecruiser. A BC combines two aspects each of a Battleship and a Cruiser. Size and armament of a Battleship and Speed and armor of a Cruiser. Scharnhorst has the size of a Battleship and the speed of a Cruiser, but then has the armor of a Battleship and an armament that fits neither a Battleship nor a Cruiser. Scharnhorst is a fast Battleship.

Destroyers are hard to master, especially the IJN Torpedo line. They allow no mistakes and are the first ships to die in pretty much every match.

What is hugging a Waifu? A Waifu is fictional (sorry for hurting you) and are not even implemented in the game. Not hating Waifu's, I have one or two myself but what do they have to do with WoWs?

This is an issue that you will get rid of over time. Train yourself to look at the minimap before firing. If a green ship is close to the line of fire and inside the circle (or is about to drive into it), hold your fire.

Well, I've played US ships the most, so that might be it. ;) I like HMS Warspite and the German CLs and BBs are fun as well. I went into the Russian line as I hear good things about it and there was a sale. Thank you for the list of the Tiers to get to in the various nations. I'll save the list, so if I get bogged down, I'll know to keep at it and it should get better.

I've read where SMS Sharnhorst was called a BC because of the smaller guns and the focus of being a cruiser killer, rather than being a mano v mano BB. The 15" main battery refit that SMS Gneisenau went in for during WWII was supposed to make it more of a traditional BB according to things I read. I understand the IJN Kongo's were originally BC's and were rebuilt to be BB's. The nomenclature for ships can vary from nation to nation and person to person I've noticed. The US called the USS Alaska class large cruisers, but they were really battlecruisers. From what I've read, BC's were built to be as fast as CA's, but could not carry the armor and be fast at the same time. The later battleships didn't have that problem and could be fast and heavily armed and armored.

I first heard about Waifu in ATSF's How to Clemson video below. I didn't know the reference until I googled it. I've learned more about anime since playing WOWS than the rest of my life combined. In the video, he shows islands and I thought it was another word for islands. But with DD's and the more fragile CL's it was a reference that was soo topical..

I usually give a look for nearby ships and make sure that anyone on the far side of where I'm aiming are much farther than my range. That time, I got BB fever and thought I knew where everyone was going, not realizing the DD was circling to get the BB too. I've only really played the USS Wickes and USS Clemson as DD's. Since I play the US DD's where I'm trying to get into torp range, I've been told the IJN line would probably be more to my liking. It comes back to silver again. Before splurging on premiums, I was barely breaking even on matches. It would take a long time to build up the silver to purchase and outfit the higher tier ships. Since the ARP event started, I've been focused on that for the 9 ships. I used to make models of warships as a kid and I really liked SMS Prince Eugen. I have it, but it's T8 and expensive to outfit. One of the many ships to get to. I only have 8500 xp to go now for the ARP Takao and the IJN Hashidate is just rusting away in my port, soo....

Thank you for all your advice and do watch ATSF's videos when you get the chance. They are funny and the man can dodge torps like crazy.

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

I've read where SMS Sharnhorst was called a BC because of the smaller guns and the focus of being a cruiser killer, rather than being a mano v mano BB. The 15" main battery refit that SMS Gneisenau went in for during WWII was supposed to make it more of a traditional BB according to things I read. I understand the IJN Kongo's were originally BC's and were rebuilt to be BB's. The nomenclature for ships can vary from nation to nation and person to person I've noticed. The US called the USS Alaska class large cruisers, but they were really battlecruisers. From what I've read, BC's were built to be as fast as CA's, but could not carry the armor and be fast at the same time. The later battleships didn't have that problem and could be fast and heavily armed and armored.

This site sums up the characteristics of a Battlecruiser well so I just copy it: "Battlecruisers were eggshells armed with hammers" and the longer part "Battleships were heavily gunned and heavily armored, but too slow to hunt down smaller, faster warships such as cruisers. On the other hands, cruisers lacked the firepower and protection of the battlewagons. So why not combine the two into a battleship-sized vessel armed with the big, long-range guns of a battlewagon, but with the speed of a cruiser? [...] However, there is no free lunch in warship design: You can have armor, firepower or speed, but not all three, and armor was the trait that was sacrificed."

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/battlecruisers-the-glass-jawed-warship-failed-13828

and just because, wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlecruiser

I first heard about Waifu in ATSF's How to Clemson video below. I didn't know the reference until I googled it. I've learned more about anime since playing WOWS than the rest of my life combined. In the video, he shows islands and I thought it was another word for islands. But with DD's and the more fragile CL's it was a reference that was soo topical..

I made the mistake of googling it, and there was even a picture of Putin hugging a pillow before anything Warship related came up. Hugging a Waifu is not a term I would use for WoWs. And be adviced, don't use it. You are more likely to be marked as a freak rather than someone understands what you mean.

I usually give a look for nearby ships and make sure that anyone on the far side of where I'm aiming are much farther than my range. That time, I got BB fever and thought I knew where everyone was going, not realizing the DD was circling to get the BB too. I've only really played the USS Wickes and USS Clemson as DD's. Since I play the US DD's where I'm trying to get into torp range, I've been told the IJN line would probably be more to my liking. It comes back to silver again. Before splurging on premiums, I was barely breaking even on matches. It would take a long time to build up the silver to purchase and outfit the higher tier ships. Since the ARP event started, I've been focused on that for the 9 ships. I used to make models of warships as a kid and I really liked SMS Prince Eugen. I have it, but it's T8 and expensive to outfit. One of the many ships to get to. I only have 8500 xp to go now for the ARP Takao and the IJN Hashidate is just rusting away in my port, soo....

If you have problems earning credits you should look on what you could do to improve in that aspect. In the case of Battleships try to deal more damage. Aim for dealing as much damage as you have hp. And if you have the choice between Cruiser or Battleship, go for the Cruiser. 10k on a Cruiser are worth more than 10k on a Battleship. Don'T be afraid of capping, two or three caps and you are most likely to score on the top five. It is possible to have an overall positive result without premiums or premium time at T8. Try to prioritize on getting more Credits.

Thank you for all your advice and do watch ATSF's videos when you get the chance. They are funny and the man can dodge torps like crazy.

I have watched his Clemson video and think that he has his points most of the time. But I don't think that there is only one way to play a ship and that you should try to find your own way of playing her. If I look for entertaining videos I watch Jingles videos and wish that I might get the enemies you see there.

[PVE]
Members
20,315 posts
13,642 battles

This site sums up the characteristics of a Battlecruiser well so I just copy it: "Battlecruisers were eggshells armed with hammers" and the longer part "Battleships were heavily gunned and heavily armored, but too slow to hunt down smaller, faster warships such as cruisers. On the other hands, cruisers lacked the firepower and protection of the battlewagons. So why not combine the two into a battleship-sized vessel armed with the big, long-range guns of a battlewagon, but with the speed of a cruiser? [...] However, there is no free lunch in warship design: You can have armor, firepower or speed, but not all three, and armor was the trait that was sacrificed."

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/battlecruisers-the-glass-jawed-warship-failed-13828

and just because, wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlecruiser

I made the mistake of googling it, and there was even a picture of Putin hugging a pillow before anything Warship related came up. Hugging a Waifu is not a term I would use for WoWs. And be adviced, don't use it. You are more likely to be marked as a freak rather than someone understands what you mean.

If you have problems earning credits you should look on what you could do to improve in that aspect. In the case of Battleships try to deal more damage. Aim for dealing as much damage as you have hp. And if you have the choice between Cruiser or Battleship, go for the Cruiser. 10k on a Cruiser are worth more than 10k on a Battleship. Don'T be afraid of capping, two or three caps and you are most likely to score on the top five. It is possible to have an overall positive result without premiums or premium time at T8. Try to prioritize on getting more Credits.

I have watched his Clemson video and think that he has his points most of the time. But I don't think that there is only one way to play a ship and that you should try to find your own way of playing her. If I look for entertaining videos I watch Jingles videos and wish that I might get the enemies you see there.

I just had seen that How to Clemson video and his comment of hugging your waifu, with a pic of WOWS islands on the pillow, was a funny way to drive home the point of hiding your DD behind an island to keep from being sunk. I've subscribed to iChasegaming and have watched Mighty Jingles as well. UrPeacekeeper has some good US BB and British CL videos as well.  As for the credits, the premiums I just picked up are helping a lot. When I have a choice of a battleship or a cruiser, i usually go for whoever is broadside. If they are both relatively the same, I'll go for the cruiser first as they are easier to take out in a few salvos and it usually takes out a torp ship as well.