You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tigermaus

How does Ultrawide look in Wows?

30 comments in this topic

[DEV_X]
Beta Testers
2,082 posts
12,562 battles

Thinking of picking up an Ultrawide montior (21:9).

How does wows look? Any ship/image distortion at all at that aspect ratio?

Thanks!

Beta Testers
62 posts
3,791 battles

It looks amazing. Just recently made the switch from 1920x1080 to 3440x1400 and Warships looks fantastic. The UI, however, doesn't scale correctly so it's fairly small in comparison. It's not unusable by any means and I don't notice it so much with the aiming reticle, it's mostly the team lists that are too small. 

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,521 posts
28,453 battles

It's really nice.  Best part is you can stay zoomed in and shoot at DDs.  For cv lovers, there's far less UI area to F-up your commands (ever try ordering a strike on the left edge of the map?).  

In short, it's a great experience.  I'm really glad I picked mine up!

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,521 posts
28,453 battles

It looks amazing. Just recently made the switch from 1920x1080 to 3440x1400 and Warships looks fantastic. The UI, however, doesn't scale correctly so it's fairly small in comparison. It's not unusable by any means and I don't notice it so much with the aiming reticle, it's mostly the team lists that are too small. 

Yeah mine only does 1080p so the UI isn't as borked.  There should be more scaling options - that'd certainly help!

[DEV_X]
Beta Testers
2,082 posts
12,562 battles

So the ships don't look stretched out at all?

Also, which panel are you using?

Thanks!

Members
3,594 posts
7,435 battles

2vl1r29.jpgI am using DELL U3415W 3440x1440 curved monitor 

Edited by dionkraft

Beta Testers
62 posts
3,791 battles

So the ships don't look stretched out at all?

Also, which panel are you using?

Thanks!

I'm using an Acer Predator x34 and no, the ships aren't stretched out at all. Everything looks perfect. Absolutely the best upgrade to my setup I've done so far.

Beta Testers
62 posts
3,791 battles

Yeah mine only does 1080p so the UI isn't as borked.  There should be more scaling options - that'd certainly help!

Yeah, you shouldn't get many issues if you're still at 1080p. Its the going up to 1440p that screws the UI up. More scaling options would be a great addition.

[DEV_X]
Beta Testers
2,082 posts
12,562 battles

Thanks, guys!!

Think I'm gonna take the plunge and get a 34" 4k ultrawide.

Had an Acer Predator XB271HU but it had this really annoying flickering that drove me crazy.

Members
308 posts
8,893 battles

Thanks, guys!!

Think I'm gonna take the plunge and get a 34" 4k ultrawide.

Had an Acer Predator XB271HU but it had this really annoying flickering that drove me crazy.

4K ultrawides don't exist, though. Not yet.

[DEV_X]
Beta Testers
2,082 posts
12,562 battles

4K ultrawides don't exist, though. Not yet.

Yeah, meant 3440x1440 resolution. Lol

Just need to decide which one now.

Members
5 posts
3,003 battles

I apparently had the opposite problem. My UI was fine but the ships were stretched out at first. There is a fix though. Do a little google searching and you can change the aspect ratio in the settings file and it will look right with a wider field of view. It's very easy, just changed one number in a file using notepad. I think the best answer I found was on a WoT thread but the same solution applied. My monitor is a 2560x1080 but as long as the programs resolution can go that high I would think just changing the aspect ratio would work. 

[DOB]
Beta Testers
295 posts
7,068 battles

I apparently had the opposite problem. My UI was fine but the ships were stretched out at first. There is a fix though. Do a little google searching and you can change the aspect ratio in the settings file and it will look right with a wider field of view. It's very easy, just changed one number in a file using notepad. I think the best answer I found was on a WoT thread but the same solution applied. My monitor is a 2560x1080 but as long as the programs resolution can go that high I would think just changing the aspect ratio would work. 

Your aspect ratio is part of your resolution - if the ships were stretched - it was not JUST because of aspect ratio but it was your resolution was wrong - due to having wrong aspect ratio set - therefore your correct resolution was not available. 

Edit - unless the stretching was also due to your monitor - tv etc being set to stretch non native inputs to X

Edited by Tald

Members
308 posts
8,893 battles

Your aspect ratio is part of your resolution - if the ships were stretched - it was not JUST because of aspect ratio but it was your resolution was wrong - due to having wrong aspect ratio set - therefore your correct resolution was not available. 

Edit - unless the stretching was also due to your monitor - tv etc being set to stretch non native inputs to X

It's a client glitch. If you change a setting it will mess the aspect ratio up, but flipping between Borderless Windowed and Fullscreen fixes it.

[DEV_X]
Beta Testers
2,082 posts
12,562 battles

Is 21:9 an option in the drop down box when you have an Ultrawide monitor? If so, it should work fine outside of the UI of course, right?

Any suggestions for a good Ultrawide panel? The Frys by my house is selling the PG348Q for $1099 this week I believe.

It seems like there are quite a few for much less than that though....but the Asus has Gsync aND can be overclocked to 100hz.

[DEV_X]
Beta Testers
2,082 posts
12,562 battles

Pocked up a PG348Q yesterday. WOW..what an amazing change. Playing Wows is crazy. Best upgrade I've done in quite a while.

Beta Testers
153 posts
7,170 battles

I use 3440x1400 and it looks great. I prefer small UI in my games so it's just really nice all around but I know the UI scale would bother some folks. Also you have to manually enable ultra wide but it is gorgeous.

[CITSU]
Members
5 posts
2,018 battles

I have been waiting to pull the trigger on an ultrawide.  Really want an ultrawide with the new display port standard and 120hz.  It has been tough holding out.  34" ultrawide  1440P 120hz+ = dream......

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

It's interesting that PC gaming is pushing TV technology. 4K broadcasts? Not there yet. 4K games. No problem. Although it takes an insane amount of graphics horsepower to push out true 4K. Next up 8K.

Every step up in resolution takes x4 data to be pushed.

Personally, I'm holding off on 4K TVs because there's no content. I'm holding off on 4K gaming because it's just so expensive. I learned my lesson when I bought a HD TV and couldn't watch anything in HD but public broadcasting. Now, of course, it's hard to find standard broadcasting.

Probably in 2 years, it will be easily affordable but by then gaming will be pushing 8K. It all seems a little silly unless computer monitors get a LOT bigger though. 8K on a 24 in monitor seems like crazy overkill but we'll see. At one time, having 2mg of ram seemed like crazy overkill.

Members
2,709 posts
17,651 battles

2vl1r29.jpgI am using DELL U3415W 3440x1440 curved monitor 

Dang that looks amazing!

I really should upgrade my monitor to match my new rig.

[DEV_X]
Beta Testers
2,082 posts
12,562 battles

I have been waiting to pull the trigger on an ultrawide.  Really want an ultrawide with the new display port standard and 120hz.  It has been tough holding out.  34" ultrawide  1440P 120hz+ = dream......

My PG348Q runs at a refresh of 100hz, and to be honest, it doesn't look any different than the 144hz Predator I used to own. :)

[-REK-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
823 posts

Thinking of picking up an Ultrawide montior (21:9).

How does wows look? Any ship/image distortion at all at that aspect ratio?

Thanks!

4K resolution the image does stretch just a bit when the image is not directly center of the screen.  The moon or sun becomes oval in shape, ships elongate a bit, but not too bad.  The game looks amazing in 4K but becomes "almost" unplayable because the UI is tiny.

Members
543 posts
6,806 battles

I would go with a 4k TV and run the game windowed if you want an ultra wide effect.  My 43" Samsung KU6300 was around $450 now $487 on Amazon.  One the best mid range 4k TV's for PC use, 4:4:4 Chroma, 60Hz 4k with decent response time.  For the first week the size was overwhelming up close but you get use to it 37" wide.  Hard to beat the price for what you get.