You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Canadian_Reaper

Are Tier 8's competitive without 15 point Captains?

21 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
349 posts
6,277 battles

Obviously they can be played and obviously players used them before they had 15 pt Captains, just wondering

I'm getting close to unlocking the Mogami, Benson, and New Orleans, but none of my Captains are even close to 15 Pts , so I obviously won't have concealment until after some 200K+ Xp on each of them.

I like the Pensecola, but I can't wait for the New Orleans and the ability to not be spotted before BB's, I like the Mahan, but teh Benson is just that little bit faster, and considerably stealthier. 

Are these ships competitive without the concealment perk or should I just grind out Captain XP for , well, several hundred games before upgrading.

I know I'll be at a disadvantage without, but I'm not sure how big a disadvantage

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,371 posts
14,183 battles

You'll be fine. As far as Nawlins is concerned, prepare for disappointment. Benson is fantastic with or without Concealment Expert. But id recommend that you just get Demolition Expert and Suitability Expert instead. Benson is just fine with only concealment mod.1

Members
4,608 posts

Do you need a 15 pt captain.  In fact, if you have to have a 15pt captain to be good, then to me, you are relying on something else other than your ability to be good.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,008 posts
5,814 battles

I think it really depends on the ship type.

Battleships can generally do fine without a good captain, as long as the player knows what they are doing. If a BB performs basics like angling, leading aim, not sailing straight, etc. They will do fine regardless of captain skill.

Otoh... CE on a DD may be the difference between spotting an enemy for their team to kill, and being outspotted instead and shot to bits.

Imho it is desirable to have one's best captains in DDs, then CL/CA, and finally BB.

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,413 posts
38,065 battles

You'll be fine. As far as Nawlins is concerned, prepare for disappointment. Benson is fantastic with or without Concealment Expert. But id recommend that you just get Demolition Expert and Suitability Expert instead. Benson is just fine with only concealment mod.1

I don't know what Suitability Expert is. Do you mean Survivability Expert?

And I agree, the NO is very weak for it's tier.

[5IN]
Members
2,109 posts
10,709 battles

I dont think a 15 point captain is required for higher level play, but it can make things easier.  As said by others, a BB can do fine without a high level captain, but other ships will definitely see the benefits, especially with CE for DD's.

b

Members
564 posts
670 battles

IJN DDs can be.

Use longer range torps, spam ship balls and smoke. Cap and spot.

When you get CE using shorter range faster torps and playing more aggressively becomes a more viable option.

Members
1,369 posts
3,667 battles

Id keep grinding shipss, the 15th point will come and youll be better for the experience.  I definitely enjoy my Mahan with demolition expert, and there are plenty of islands and smokes to hide behind or within to stealth fire.

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles

The realety is ... sometimes a15 point Captain with certain skills is needed in game , sometimes not, overall the more Captain skills yea got ... the better

In my Murmansk with 18 point Captain at V maybe not ...but with MM and up against Vll ... yea need em all 

Edited by HMCS_Devilfish

Beta Testers
218 posts
5,775 battles

Generally speaking, Tier 8 ships are still competitive without 15pt Captains. 

However, the weaker ships in tier, such as the New Orleans, certainly need as much help as possible and a 15pt Captain is almost essential. 

[RSRC]
Beta Testers
1,258 posts
9,265 battles

Are they PLAYABLE without one? Yes. Competitive? No. 

BBs can mostly get away with it, but if you want to be competitive as a cruiser or especially as a DD where every advantage matters, the concealment is required to play optimally. Unless you drive Russian DDs in which case...A 14 point captain will do.

Edited by SeraphicRadiance

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,046 battles

Yes. IJN DDs with concealment expert can stealth fire with ease. CVs in good hands with air superiority is pretty much guaranteed to win. Bismark with manual secondaries is almost unbeatable against some ships. RU DDs are a nightmare once they get 3 tier 4 skills, almost unbeatable vs any other DD. Very very big difference. Hopefully the captain skill rework will change all this, 15 point captains are incredibly overpowered right now, at least for most ships.

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

BB? Hell yes. I've ran 6 pointers with no trouble. CA? Usually. CL? Rarely. DD? You need one.

[BOTES]
Members
2,394 posts
10,558 battles

15 point is absolutely necessary for DD and CV because of CE and AS. BB don't need it, but CA benefit greatly as well.

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

15 point is absolutely necessary for DD and CV because of CE and AS. BB don't need it, but CA benefit greatly as well.

I do OK in my Atago with a 10 point captain. I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary at all. Helpful? Most definitely, I'm sure.
Edited by Gomez_Adams

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

You can manage without 15 points but you will have to be aware of your limitations especially with the Benson and to an extent with the NO. CE really helps getting into position and when you dont have as much concealment you need to hang a little farther back and maybe pair up with someone else who as good concealment. 

Be aware of what your are lacking and adjust your play style to compensate.